[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Every 'romance' anime revolves around characters

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5

File: screenshot_6_13046.jpg (34KB, 599x321px) Image search: [Google]
screenshot_6_13046.jpg
34KB, 599x321px
>Every 'romance' anime revolves around characters twiddling their thumbs for at least 20 odd episodes and being awkward enough that nothing gets established relationship wise as an arbitrary graph of crushes builds up without any reciprocation
>See this get recommended as being totally mature, adult and not at all stupid in the way other shoujos are
>The whole thing ends up being just a soap opera where tons of stupid shit happens because MC is just the dumbest slut

It's really painful, because ideally, given what it seems to stand for, NANA should represent all that I actually want and value in anime, as opposed to all the half baked wish fulfillment and cock teasing that so many other series are. You actually have a shoujo that doesn't fuck around and gets going with relationships and their issues sans, but even despite that that it is barely palatable for what it is and feels inherently childish in spite of it all.
>>
>>146206492
>>Every 'romance' anime revolves around characters twiddling their thumbs for at least 20 odd episodes and being awkward enough that nothing gets established relationship wise as an arbitrary graph of crushes builds up without any reciprocation
Watch better anime, faggot.
>>
File: momo.jpg (44KB, 317x475px) Image search: [Google]
momo.jpg
44KB, 317x475px
>>146206561
>Watch better anime, faggot.

You know damn well that there are very few exceptions to this, so don't act like you don't know better yourself.
>>
>>146206492
I agree with OP here. Anime has become really stilted over the years but especially RomComs. Another big offender is My Little Monster.

The ending is especially a piss take. Nothing happens. Literally. It just kind of.....ends.

I wish we could get a romance anime that actually dealt with problems in a realistic, relatable way. Watching high schoolers act like retards until two of them get married is boring and frustrating.
>>
File: nana.jpg (133KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
nana.jpg
133KB, 800x800px
I liked Nana starting off cause it looked promising but it quickly devolved into "MC makes really stupid decisions" so many romance anime before it.
>>
Romcoms are not made to sell the drama and hardship of actual relationships, but to sell the fairy tale that you can live happily ever after once you get your princess. All of the hardship, struggle, and conflict is just a lead up to getting the girl, which is the ultimate, good goal. It's meant to give you warm fuzzies and feel happy because they finally got together after all they went through.

Every romcom is the same, whether it's an anime, TV show, or movie. If you want relationship drama, you need to look into a completely different genre.
>>
>>146207090
I get that, but I think the genre can take a chance every once in a while.

It doesn't even have to be outright drama back to back, just have the characters deal with issues that isn't just them making it worse and worse until it stops.

I'm sick of the formula is all I'm saying. I feel this way about a lot of anime genres but this one in particular.
>>
You know the reason people read these is for the drama and teasing right?
>>
>>146207202
The formula is an integral part of the genre. It's not even just anime; look at all the shitty hollywood romcoms that women eat up. They like it not because it's intellectually stimulating in any way, but because it's predictable and they know it'll make them feel happy in the end. They want to see a spark, a struggle, and a fairy tale Happily Ever After.

The key issue is that the goal of a romcom is simply getting with the girl, and once that happens the series is done. You can't go anywhere from there because, once you've gotten the girl, everything is completely different.
>>
File: cover.jpg (3MB, 3253x3261px) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
3MB, 3253x3261px
Lots of shoujo series have relationships that start early in the series.
>>
>>146207390
Yeah.....I know that. I've known that shit for years. I'm just tired of it.

It's like watching harem anime and not having the protag be a dense loser or end up with the shit girl over the better options.

Let me off the ride /a/
>>
Even "fast romance" romcoms are somewhat formulaic. It's what the fucking Japs wants to read/watch, dictated by their obtuse "I already know this so it must be good" notion.

It's probably a cultural thing though: repeat the stereotypes because it sells. I mean, even Musashi (by Yoshikawa) reads like a slightly more mature action shounen manga, and that was written 80 fucking years ago. You see the the use of some cultural tropes or even character stereotypes in most modern Japanese novels too, and I'm not talking about ranobes.

Even in the Western world you'll find the same shit. Modern dramas in any media follow similar patterns from the classic tragedies and epics, but the Japanese take this to a whole different level.

I would love to live until the day some GENIUS writes a comfy school SoL that doesn't use cultural festivals, sports days, beach episodes, etc., as the only means of setting a background for a story.
>>
>>146206561
Better yet, read manga instead.
>>
>>146206492
I completely hated NANA, but I love Honey&Clover. I don't know if that makes me a hypocrite or someone who doesn't mind a josei as long as the characters aren't all entirely horrible people.
>>
>>146210438
>I don't know if that makes me a hypocrite or someone who doesn't mind a josei as long as the characters aren't all entirely horrible people.

I enjoy some josei specifically because of the horrible people. I'm sure it's just a matter of taste.
>>
>>146210101
>I would love to live until the day some GENIUS writes a comfy school SoL that doesn't use cultural festivals, sports days, beach episodes, etc., as the only means of setting a background for a story.
That's the school culture in Japan, so why wouldn't they use those events? Their absence would be weirder. It'd be like a western high school show that didn't have any dances or school spirit events.
>>
>>146206492
Watch Eureka 7 than.
The first half has the main character chasing the autistic girl until he realize "nah fuck this one sided crush" and literally jumps ship.
>>
>>146210438
I'll take any number of terrible people over whatever the fuck Hagu was supposed to be. If you want to write a retarded loli just write a goddamn loli without pretending she's an adult. The adults around her are gonna look weird as fuck either way for lusting over someone so physically and mentally underdeveloped.
>>
>>146210730
>Watch Eureka 7 than.

OP here, I've seriously considered that, and for that exact reason, but the show otherwise looks so utterly corny and shoueny to the nth degree I don't know if I could stand it.
>>
>>146211008
Its "shouneny" in the aspect that its about a coming of age for the main character/love interest, and the intro "shounen heart".
The main characters are developed as hell throughout the whole series but i'll tell you now its a slow paced chinese cartoon.
>>
>>146210663
>so why wouldn't they use those events?
Jee, I don't know, to shift the focus to some other aspect of school life in order to write something different?
What are hobbies? parents? clubs? counseling? friends hanging out after school? student-teacher relationship? etc, etc.
>school festival
>sports day
>golden week
>xmas/new year's
>valentine/white-day
>summer festival
>school excursion
I just die a little every time a 12 eps series uses 80% of the above. It wouldn't be as much of an school SoL though. I'm aware of that. Someone should still try to.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.