[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The kind of shit sites like ANN never report on because they

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 9

The kind of shit sites like ANN never report on because they don't want people to realize that the industry has been struggling. This is actually a chart with the y axis representing 1.0 to 1.5 billion yen and the x axis representing of course years. As we can see the actual median income of the average studio has dropped significantly since 2006-2008 when the light novel boom and rush to adapt that sort of material, use idol seiyuu and eroge writers really took off in 2009-present meaning either anime just isn't pulling in nearly as much money on average as it used to or companies like Aniplex and Bandai are starting to take all the money and leave dried out husks of near financially destitute studios that depend on them and being able to produce hits for them to stay alive. Pretty damn pathetic and Japan is laughing at this news right now with the acknowledgement that was once a primary cultural export is pretty much just shit for otaku and fujos nowadays.
>>
>>145946322
The latter is probably correct
>>
>>145946322

It could also just be that it never quite recovered from the 2008 economic collapse. Japan's economy has been struggling for years under Abe which isn't helping matters.
>>
And yet it seems anime is becoming more and more popular by the day in the West. That being said, I think you're making a mistake. Anime has never, outside of specific franchises, been a normalfag hobby in Japan. That's manga, mainly due to the convenience and low price. Anime had always been niche.
>>
>>145946322
>companies like Aniplex and Bandai are starting to take all the money

That's pretty much it. There are less originals than before, and it seems the go-to method of getting shows made these days is via contracts, which can be signed arranging so that the big publisher gives the studio money to make the series but they get little to not royalty cuts and depend on the BDs as primary income sources. If for example Kadokawa commissions some garbage LN from a studio, if the anime itself isn't that good in sales (or breaks even etc) but the source LN shoots up through the roof in sales the studio to my knowledge usually gets nothing from that. The publisher does. Fuck the publisher oligarchy, THOSE are the people pushing all these garbage battle-harem-LN adaptations out of the studios. The studios already being on shoestrings and wanting at least a safe bet of a paycheck if they are commissioned to do these works sign onto them. After all, if they are already in bad shape, if they pile their resources into an original and it bombs then they have to eat those costs. A very successful original is the surefire way to getting a studio money, but it seems they deem the risks too high to experiment with this too much even though they can absolutely change the way everyone sees studios (such as Shaft after Madoka).

Japanese television also usually does not give ad revenue for the late night anime we like to watch as a board; you actually pay the station to air it rather than the other way around.
>>
>>145946565
I know there is some trend in acting as if everything terrible that has happened is down to Abe but the Japanese economy has been shit since the 90s, namely after the bubble blew up. In fact one could argue that it has been shit for much longer than that. Abe and his people are, if anything, just more random drops in an already full barrel. Blame the banks as they are apparently not able to understand basic economics.
>>
>>145946322
>massive drops in 2008 and 2009
>no significant change since then
Gee, I wonder if there might be some other explanation for this than the one OP offered? Like maybe the global economy crashed in 2008 or something? On second thought, nevermind, that's crazy talk.
>>
>>145946322
>y axis representing 1.0 to 1.5 billion yen

are you sure about your units?
$10M-$15M a year is nowhere close to the entire picture for the entire industry.
>>
>>145946681
Not entirely true either. Almost every reasonably young person in Japan knows stuff like Evangelion. That said, most seasonal stuff are niche shit for otaku.
>>
>>145946958
He should have put all the information in that one sentence, but if you'd read his whole post you'd see that it's median individual studio income, not total industry-wide income.
>>
>>145946941
No, anon, anime suddenly died in 2008 in one fell swoop, that is the only explanation.
>>
Anime needs it's own test now. Something like describe any anime character without talking about their names, what their designs look like, what they wear and without using a term like somethingdere to describe their personality.

>>145946958

Average studio income. Read and don't be dumb. Fuck why are anime fans so clueless about everything that this much becomes that fucking hard to grasp. No wonder so many shows are so stupid, simplistic low brow and pretentious at best, any more would overwhelm their target audience
>>
>>145947090

As in most of the stuff that /a/ talks about and obsessed over is disposable shit for the lowest common denominator in Japan.
>>
File: meanwhile at kyoani 2.png (1MB, 1151x631px) Image search: [Google]
meanwhile at kyoani 2.png
1MB, 1151x631px
>>145946322
>companies like Aniplex and Bandai are starting to take all the money and leave dried out husks of near financially destitute studios
reminder that Kyoani is making more money now than they did when they produced K-ON and Haruhi because they get a larger cut of disc sales. Why don't other studios just follow suit already?
>>
File: oct242008_2[1].jpg (24KB, 512x288px) Image search: [Google]
oct242008_2[1].jpg
24KB, 512x288px
>dropped significantly since 2006-2008

I wonder what happened then. Hmm... Really hard to find the exact reason...
>>
>>145947496
>>145946941
/thread
>>
File: mljtud.png (10KB, 470x281px)
mljtud.png
10KB, 470x281px
>>145946322
starting at 8 instead of 0 is misleading, visually it should look more like this
>>
Why do I have the feeling this chart is old?
>>
>>145946941
>>145947496
>>145947549
>believing normalfag propaganda
You're all fucking stupid. Anime as a medium has been under attack since the early 90's. Japanese Government has been steadily trying to reduce its influence and popularity since then. See how "otakus" became the laughing stock of all of Japan or how one has to keep hidden the fact they watch anime, else they'd be shunned, no matter how level-minded they might actually be. The truth is, the homeland of the medium we enjoy so much doesn't like it, and it doesn't like us. Let's enjoy these last halcyon years before we're forced to kiss our waifus goodbye, forever.
>>
>>145947810
Maybe because it ends in 2014?
>>
>>145947844
OP is trying to pass this off as something new.
>>
File: 1462775388737.jpg (6KB, 206x224px)
1462775388737.jpg
6KB, 206x224px
>>145947827
>the 2008 crash is normalfag propaganda
> Anime as a medium has been under attack since the early 90's.
>>
I thought this was common knoledge
Anime as we know it is on the brink of death
>>
>>145947827
Anime is the only unique resource Japan has. They're just a barren island otherwise.
>>
>>145946941
>>145947496

This

if anything they're doing well, maintaining rather than slipping more.
>>
So average income is like a billion yen? I swear I see a Shaft income statement that gets posted all the time and it shows them barely making a profit. How is that possible? Does that mean the Aniplex takes all the money meme is true?
>>
>>145946322
>everything is kill after 2008
uh
>>
>>145947976
Anon, it's median income per studio. If you had a brain, you would realize that means that anything taken by Aniplex is already accounted for, since that amount wouldn't be part of SHAFT's income.
>>
>>145947976
Lad, it's well known that SHAFT makes no money and only serves as the proxy of Aniplex.
>>
>it's another "anime is dying" thread
>>
>>145946322
>the actual median income of the average [company] has dropped significantly since 2006-2008
This could be describing like 95% of industries across the globe.
>>
>>145947827
Damn I didn't know the Japanese government hated anime enough to create a massive financial crash just to bankrupt the studios.
>>
OP is clearly an underage newfag. I'm glad not everyone else on /a/ has forgotten world events from 2008.

When economies go to hell, the first thing people do is stop spending money on frivolous shit.
>>
>http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-08-25/report-anime-industry-up-10-percent-in-2014/.92114

Wow anime is dying guys!
>>
>>145948236
Yes, hard as it is to believe, normalfags in fact made up a years-long worldwide financial crisis to fuck with your cartoons.
>>
>>145948236
I bet Kyoani did it
>>
File: 1428105359905.gif (184KB, 675x670px)
1428105359905.gif
184KB, 675x670px
>/abiz/ thread
>>
>>145948304
Did normalfags also fuck with Ruble exchange rates so that I would be unable to import shit cheaply?
>>
>>145948304
>>145948346
It was Daiz's ultimate keikaku
>>
>>145948067
Is that why Fate is so popular?
>>
>>145947827
>2008 crash
>normalfag propaganda

If anything, normalfags got BTFO in that. Everyone got fucked hard (and still are) by that event.
>>
>>145946322
Most of those series would never make it big as exports though. What Japan lacks nowadays are basically new DBZs or Narutos - long running mainstream shows that can be exported internationally.
>>
>>145948285

As the OP said ANN only reports on positive industry news and spin, they're completely subject to the powers that be like Aniplex and Funimation and the messages they are looking to send. They'll report on things like people taking hiatus or needing heart surgery but that's about it.
>>
>>145948285

Anime Industry/=Anime studios. They're probably talking about the fat cat production committee members that take all the money from things among other anime related activities here.

"The AJA attributes part of this success to merchandise and the sale of streaming rights in China. Last year, the report noted an increase the number of anime exhibits and events, such as anime song concerts and musicals."

Events are how the anime industry makes a lot of it's money now since it's one of the few things that sells and is a healthy market. Again people try fucking reading for once in your lives, it's in the damn OP that it's literally only factoring in average anime studio income (as in not stuff like event concerts and streaming which are operated by companies like Sony Music Japan and Lantis) and that has dropped significantly since 2008.

Also if you take both those articles hand in hand all it points to is that production committees profits are going up while the actual studios that do the work are just kind of barely getting by for most of this decade with some dropping off like Manglobe or struggling like Bones. That kind of looks like an industry that if it's not dying is definitely not growing in quite the same way that shill sites like ANN like to claim for their sponsors.
>>
>>145946322
Maybe studios should shit out 8 digital slideshows a year instead of 3 or 4.
That's gotta be the play.
>>
>>145946322
>More shows are made by more studios
>average income per studio goes down
WHOA MATE

But anyway, it's a self healing situation, once studios drop down the surviving ones will be in a better position, the end.
>>
>>145946681
>>145947361
>lowest common denominator
>niche
You can only pick one, anon.
>>
File: Cni2Yo1VUAAThlq.jpg (212KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Cni2Yo1VUAAThlq.jpg
212KB, 1200x1200px
>>145947827
Literally the governor of Tokyo.
>>
>>145948964
>studios are dying!
>chart shows income is remaining constant barring the economic disaster in 2008

And you call us idiots.
>>
>>145948258
/thread
>>
>>145946322
rip anime.
>>
>>145948635

Attack on Titan and to some extent SAO kind of fill out that description but yeah those are neither long running nor particularly prolific and long gaps inbetween content and in the latters case people outright being misled on the kind of franchise it is (don't remember nearly as many people talking about the second season for example) might diminish it's lasting impact. Since Attack on Titan and again to some extent SAO and maybe Space Dandy I really haven't heard an anime thing talked about by random people at work or say a book store that isn't Pokemon, DBZ, Sailor Moon or stuff from the 90's. It's just not that relevant as it was in the mid 90's to early 2000's when you had stuff becoming hits like Gundam Wing, Cowboy Bebop, Big O, Evangelion, Digimon, Sailor Moon and in some countries stuff like Saint Seiya. The Japanese industry probably doesn't even know why those become such big international hits and thinks it can somehow force new ones by doing things that only Japanese otaku are ever going to like. It's why I think things like ACJ Daisuki and these Netflix and Amazon streaming deals are doomed to fail because unless they get some real direct input from Western sources they're just going to keep making stuff like Asterisk, Concrete Revolutio, Kabaneri of The Iron Fortress and random idol and fujo bait stuff thinking that that is everything the world outside of Japan wants to see exclusively. Like they just can't break out of this completely otaku centric mind set of "this is the market and only market there will ever be" and it'll take a real groundbreaking smash hit series on the level of something like Gundam or Yamato was in the 70's when the thinking was "anime is only for kids and toy marketing and can only ever be for them" until those series showed them that isn't entirely the case. I just don't see whose going to make that sort of thing as the talent pool is being drawn entirely from LN/VN/Niconico otaku circles now.
>>
>>145949047

It'll just be the crap studios that played it super safe like Shaft and any other Aniplex slave and then what does that mean? More of the same shit we're going now I imagine only without those 1 or 2 things you still get once a year that stand out at all beyond the marketing.
>>
>>145949731
I aint reading that shit
>>
>>145949259

Did not say studios are dying, I said Manglobe died and studios like Bones are struggling. It's really convenient and easy to counter an argument when you just completely strawman someone with an extreme opinion and statements they don't actually hold and never said. I mean fuck you people do it with Anno and Miyazaki all the fucking time so fuck you too /a/.

>>145948258

Except that's exactly what anime and it's extensions like gacha scam games such as Fate Grand Order and iDOLM@STER Cinderella Girls are. People are literally forking over hundreds of thousands of yen for some artwork and a character sprite and stats unlock.
>>
>>145949781
You overestimate Aniplex's power, they produce a lot of flops and plenty of studios are capable of outselling them. Kadokawa is much more spooky.
>>
>>145949795

One of the key reasons anime is so shit now, anything longer and more complex than a sentence fragment and some T&A means people aren't even willing to bother. Shitposting though, now that's where it's at, anime fans will do that all day long.
>>
>>145949940
>they don't want people to realize that the industry has been struggling
>As we can see the actual median income of the average studio has dropped significantly since 2006-2008

You said the industry was struggling. When I posted an article proving that wrong you backpedaled and said studios were struggling. Now you're backpedalling to the point where you don't have anything meaningful to say. Manglobe went bankrupt because they made fucking retarded decisions. Bones has been doing fine, if they're struggling it's because they made the stupid decision to make a two cour shit original rather than spending the extra buck for good writers.
>>
>>145949982
Anime is shit because I don't want to read some huge paragraph by some random guy on the internet? Who are you to say that you understand the scenario well enough to be worth of having anybody care about your explanation?
>>
>>145949975
>http://yaraon-blog.com/archives/87654?s=%E3%82%A2%E3%83%8B%E3%83%97%E3%83%AC%E3%83%83%E3%82%AF%E3%82%B9
>Aniplex's profit is up 91%

They sure make a lot of flops. On another note, fucking Gonzo made a profit despite two "flops."
>>
>>145949240
Don't believe her lies. She wants to ban loli.
>>
>Cool Japan was a mistake.
t. Japanese entertainment industry.
>>
>>145946322
>As we can see the actual median income of the average studio
You need another chart that shows the number of animation studios in business.
>>
>>145950287
I imagine most of Gonzo's money now comes from contract work for other animation studios.
>>
>>145949731
Dude, paragraphs are your friends.
Use them wisely, or else, you only get huge blocks of text that nobody here will read.
>>
>>145946941
>>145946565
This.

>>145947810
Because there's been Japanese reports on how the anime industry got a profit increase recently or something to that effect. OPs chart is about studio income dropping which likely due to fuckhuge publishers eating all the money, because anime sales has increased and the average gross revenue has increased from anime BD/DVD sales. For evidence of this just look at oricon sales now and from early 2000s. Average sales have increased regardless of inflation being -1-0%.
>>
>>145950532
They always did contract work in the past. That doesn't explain the profit increase.
>>
>>145950487
60+ posts in and this is the first one that has any idea the implications of using averages.
>>
>>145950599
>http://www.someanithing.com/5202

Disc sales have actually been decreasing.
>>
>>145949731
>Attack on Titan and to some extent SAO kind of fill out that description but yeah those are neither long running nor particularly prolific and long gaps inbetween content and in the latters case people outright being misled on the kind of franchise it is (don't remember nearly as many people talking about the second season for example) might diminish it's lasting impact.

Yeah, I don't think seasonal anime has any chance of exploding internationally even to a level similar to Naruto's.

>The Japanese industry probably doesn't even know why those become such big international hits and thinks it can somehow force new ones by doing things that only Japanese otaku are ever going to like.
That's where I don't really agree. Most of the otaku bait series aren't really focusing on the international market at all. In many cases, they're just advertisement for the source material, which means that they can't even work as standalone exports.

Look at the biggest pushes that Toei has made for international licensing in the last few years - they've been just new series for old franchises - Saint Seiya, Sailor Moon and Dragonball. Of course, something like that likely will just result in diminishing returns if they can't really push actual new material in the same way. Although, in fact, I guess they pursued this direction exactly due to new series failing to really make splash abroad.

I mean, it's easy to point to light novel dreck and say that it doesn't attract the mainstream very well internationally, but the actual big issue here is that Shounen Jump for years now hasn't been able to produce a new mainstream success that could launch another big multimedia franchise - they have hits, but their audience seems to be much more limited and "fan" focused, not the next Naruto or (1st half) Bleach.
>>
>>145946322
n is the amount of companies?
>>
>>145950791
We're fucked
>>
>>145950791

They're making it up with gacha scam games and concerts and what not which surprise a lot of anime get designed around now.
>>
>>145951332
And pachinko
>>
Kyoani is making more money than ever so we're good.
>>
>>145949240
The guy on the right looks like he went to Michael Jackson's plastic surgeon.
>>
File: 1396361183996s.jpg (8KB, 250x250px)
1396361183996s.jpg
8KB, 250x250px
>>145946322
Didn't we just have a sales report that said that the anime industry is more profitable then it has ever been?
>>
>>145951995
Yes. But OP also wants to show that the studios themselves are struggling or something like that.
>>
Anime is actually one of the few industries bouncing back strong after 2008. Obviously they don't have the numbers they did previously in raw yen, but growth has actually been steady since 2008 which is pretty impressive.
>>
>>145952083
Not really true though. I need to find the chart for last year, but the bottom one is what you want to look at for studio revenue. There was a dip after 2008, but it's been bouncing back pretty strong since then. The mid 2000's was a mini anime bubble.
>>
Tesf
>>
>>145947827
Why doesn't Japan love anime? What's there to be ashamed of?
>>
Piracy doesn't seem to help either.
>>
>>145954698
Stereotypes. Think of the type of scum that do cosplay, you've seen pictures of conventions. Many are gross, ugly, and look like they never have contributed to society in any meaningful way. They look embarrassing and you wish they would disappear. That's what the typical otaku is thought to look like in Japan, which is already a highly conformist society.

Would you want to be associated with those people? No.
>>
It seems there's something wrong with the business model when you expect people in 2016 to spend 8000 yen to buy a BD release and that's your primary revenue. But income also reflects competitiveness in the industry especially since outsourcing to Korea is so cheap and effective.
>>
>>145954698
>otaku are weird people
>still staying up to late night to watch cartoons
>giving out lots of money for silly figurines
>some of them even jerk off to disgusting stuff like little girls playing around
>antisocial loners who only talk about silly cartoon characters
>they dress up funnily as if they were still little kids despite being adults
>probably go to those internet sites to masturbate to illegal porn and doing conspirative things
>disgusting freaks
In short, normal prejudice, with many things based of course on the truth. Doesn't help that popular media there does depict adult otaku indeed as "those weirdoes that are out of touch of reality".
Thread posts: 86
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.