[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The old cheap Berserk anime

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 6

File: berserk.jpg (142KB, 429x600px) Image search: [Google]
berserk.jpg
142KB, 429x600px
I want to get into Berserk again because of people talking about it and I want to start over because it's been 9 years since I last read anything; but I think it would be interesting to experience the golden age arc in a new medium so I kinda want to fully watch the od TV show.

From what I've seen it doesn't look as bad as people say. There are some moments of proper animation and even when there aren't it seems to make up for it well enough with competent direction. The backgrounds look nice, the colors are appealing, the drawings are often good and the Umakoshi character designs are charming even though they're different from the manga.

I've not seen it talked about much lately; what do you guys think of it now, after the CG stuff gave it a new perspective?
>>
Its a legitimately great watch if you can get over the somewhat-cheap animation and the inconclusive ending.

As an adaptation however, it's somewhat rushed at times, and as a result leaves some scenes feeling not as fleshed out as they could have been. However, the soundtrack and visuals do a lot in adding to the overall atmosphere.
>>
File: boner.jpg (91KB, 500x424px) Image search: [Google]
boner.jpg
91KB, 500x424px
>>144701241
The thing is, I already read the original and liked it; I just want to experience it in a new medium.

I know it didn't adapt stuff like Guts being assraped or "DON'T YOU POP A BONER OVER MY HEAD" but I've already experienced those scenes so whatever.
>>
>>144701241
>>144702180
As for budget-saving Ashita no Joe season 1 is on my 3x3 so what the fuck ever. As long as the moments that ARE more fully animated are done so in a skillful way as opposed to wasting frames on garbage (see for example the fluid yet horrible traced-over-CG dance scene in Symphogear S1) I'm fine with it. And I've seen enough clips to know that the scenes with fuller animation are done well in Berserk TV (even Umakoshi himself did some work on it)
>>
The OVAs are pretty great just watched them last week, though they do cut out a lot of story
>>
>>144701241
Well, the movies are way more rushed. They have their own strong points though.
>>
>>144702180
>wanting to experience it in a new medium
Wait 20 years
>>
>>144702919
You mean the movies? They look horrible at times and at best they're just 'decent video game cutscene' caliber
>>144704376
wut
>>
The old anime's backgrounds have a certain raw appeal to them that very few modern anime goes for. I guess Mob Psycho is a good airing example.
>>
>>144705751
And sure the characters there are kinda wonky but the more close-up shots look good. Note that this is from the middle of a head-turning animation too and not a still.
>>
Despite the obvious animation issues it is a pretty decent adaptation. Really good pacing and covers much more than the movies. I just caught up in the manga and decided to go back and rewatch it and have been enjoying it a lot.
>>
Too late.
It's too late.
>>
>>144706192
tell me what you want
>>
The original anime was fucking great. They cut a lot of corners with the animation, but it was more than adequate in getting the story told and making you feel what you should.
A big part was the OST, which I felt perfectly captured the tone of the Golden Age arc.
The new anime is being made by people who come from a different time.
It sounds really shitty and faggoted, but it's almost like "They don't get it". Like, they think people love this series just for the fighting and the creatures and the gore.
They cut out the entirety of the Black Swordsman arc, which was a fantastic opening arc that showed us who Guts was and what kind of world he lived in, as well as showing us the nature and even the humanity of the apostles and the godhand.
The fact that all that was skipped, while rape horse was kept in and animated hilariously poorly shows what they think Berserk fans really want. Unfortunately, they're wrong.
>>
File: 1467427499684.gif (802KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1467427499684.gif
802KB, 500x375px
I don't understand why people don't like it. I mean sure, it's low budget is apparent, but it didn't pull any punches and captured the soul of Berserk absolutely.

This stills and OST were god-tier as well.
>>
>>144706508

Despite the original series' faults, it was very obviously made by actual humans out of love, which I don't think anyone can say about the new series.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.