[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is Evangelion so highly regarded? I get that it broke trends

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_0688.jpg (3MB, 2614x1639px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0688.jpg
3MB, 2614x1639px
Why is Evangelion so highly regarded? I get that it broke trends at the time by being a sad anime in a time of harems an such but that doesn't explain the lasting power.

I've only watched a few episodes so far so if it has to do with the ending I don't want spoilers.
>>
>>144673759
they all turn to goo
>>
>>144673759
>I've only watched a few episodes so far

Abandon hope. No anime will ever be the same after finishing EVA.
>>
>>144673759
>why is it so highly regarded
watch the show and you might understand

>no spoilers pls
if you actually understand the first time around without posting an 'ok what the fuck just happened' thread when you get to ep26 you'll be doing better than most.
>>
Well also every anime from then on is a copy of it
>>
I've heard the guy who made it was super depressed
>>
1) Genre-defying
2) Codified a lot of conventions still in use, especially character archetypes
3) Managed to pull off pretending to be deep, causing other anime to imitate it
4) Kind of like (3) but ample use of meaningless symbolism that ended up becoming standard across all anime
>>
It has a large fanbase that highly overrates it. People new to anime can't accurately judge how good Evangelion is (due to being new, it's not their fault), but they want to fit in so they imitate the existing eva fans, causing a self-sustaining reaction of obsessing over an ok mecha show.
>>
>>144673759
At least finish it before you ask that question.
>>
>>144673759
>I've only watched a few episodes
Why make this thread now instead of after having finished it + EoE?
>>
are the 1.0/2.0/3.0 movies worth watching?
>>
Finished it and watched EoE
honestly I'd rather watch Bleach again, no joke
>mc is an annoying depressed cunt
>asuka is a shitty slut
>rei basically has no personality
>>
The first 4 episodes should be enough to understand the lasting power of EVA though. Very little anime, or TV in general, is as confidently directed as those.
>>
>>144679341
No.

It starts with TV and ends with EoE.
>>
>>144679742
>It starts with TV and ends with EoE.

Actually, it ends with the TV show.
EoE is just an alternate "fuck you, otakus" ending.
>>
NGE came at a time when most anime were toy commercials. In the same vein as Gunbuster, there was just nothing like it at the time, on top of actually being good.

EoE is more well regarded than the tv series though nowadays. Anno is very talented at saving budget for when it counts so its always visually impressive.
>>
>>144679591
Kill yourself.
>>
All i know is that ive seen that shit like 5 times now and every time is different.

I honestly havent watched any anime for the past few years without having to force myself to not rewatch eva halfway through.
>>
>>144679851
This is bait
>>
>>144673759
Watch it all and give your opinion afterwards you fucking trash
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.