[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Suspension of disbelief

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 8

File: 1460518339764.png (805KB, 900x1008px) Image search: [Google]
1460518339764.png
805KB, 900x1008px
We all know that in order to enjoy an anime you need to turn off a couple of cells on your brain, ignoring the realism and the logic, making believable the unbelievable.
However, sometimes the writing is so atrocious that the characters are so unrealistic even within their own world's logic that it ultimately breaks the 'suspension of disbelief,' stopping you from enjoying the show.
Has this happened to you before?
>>
If there are cute girls, fuck my suspension of disbelief.
>>
It depends on the show.
Sometimes it's hard to suspend my disbelief for the simplest things because nothing in the show is worth doing that for.
Sometimes it's easy to ignore that there's no explanation for some of the more unrealistic elements of the story because those unrelalistic elements are what makes it possible to tell an interesting story.
>>
Samurai Flamenco was fucking dumb. Totally made me drop it.
>>
>>144536608
>Has this happened to you before?
Off the top of my head:
The ending to Gunbuster
TTGL
Millennium Actress
>>
I was watching Goldran, a 90s brave show about giant robots that fight, combine, transform, and go around the world looking for brave stones. And the thing that destroyed my suspension of belief wasn't the train robot that could fly, it was when the train robot that could fly went out to space and the kids riding around in it were sitting on the window seal and the window was wide open.
>>
>>144536608

Most recently it happened with Kabaneri. I was hooked after the first episode, but soon after i almost dropped it. The characters were sooo fucking stupid. The show was trying to present itself as dark and tried to make you feel for the people. I enjoyed seeing them die because i thought they deserved it for being fuckign morons.
>>
Kabaneri 1st and 2nd ep
>>
>>144537271
TTGL, I thought it was actually hilarious how far they went with asspulls, it was like they didn't care how ridiculous it got and tried their best to make it as ridiculous as possible.

Jojo on the other hand could get annoying, especially part 3, they wouldn't conveniently forget how to use their stands to make the enemy's a bigger threat.
>>
File: 1466738486710.jpg (234KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1466738486710.jpg
234KB, 1920x1080px
>>144537983
>The show was trying to present itself as dark and tried to make you feel for the people.
Never understood that point of view. Particularly the first part. I don't see what makes grown mature adults think zombie shows are still scary or dark. It was just a cheap plot device for an action series which delivered the action in spades.
>>
>>144536608
Sure. Some ones that made me drop it:
The lighter scene in Psycho Pass episode 1.
The retcon of episode 2's events in episode 3 of Kiznaiver.
loljk he's not dead in Mayoiga.
>>
>>144538136
>I don't see what makes grown mature adults think zombie shows are still scary or dark.
kys

No seriously though the whole idea that you shouldn't judge each show individually is nothing more than sloth, and drags down genuinely good creative works if and when they do appear.
>>
File: 1464321574192.jpg (82KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1464321574192.jpg
82KB, 1280x720px
>>144538255
>you shouldn't judge each show individually is nothing more than sloth
>kys
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you're not actually baiting but projecting really hard and answer you honestly.

Just because there are zombies in a show doesn't mean that it's supposed to be dark. It was an action series first and foremost as made very clear in episode 1. Compare it to HoTD if you will, they are similar in that there are zombies and massive amounts of killings sure, but the action and/or ecchi is the selling point.
I never claimed to judge it solely as an action series and disregarding its potential as a zombie horror survival series. But it worked as an action series and I was satisfied with using the product that way.
>>
>>144538566

I am the anon from this >>144537983

I didnt meant "trying to be dark" by showing zombies, but rather mothers dying witch children in their hands and that kind of stuff. It is obvious that they tried to make it seem like the humans face extinction and horrible deaths. I just could take it seriously because most of the time it felt liek they deserved it for being stupid.
>>
>>144536608
You night want to stop reading shounen.
None really act like normal human beings.
>>
File: 1463364247551.jpg (66KB, 348x327px) Image search: [Google]
1463364247551.jpg
66KB, 348x327px
>>144536608
i have to turn on my brain to full power whenever i watch anime or read book. i have trouble remembering people names.
>>
>>144536608
Oh yeah. I know I probably shouldn't take it seriously, but I almost feel insulted when I watch something that's meant as otaku wish fulfillment.
>>
File: Hestia_Anime.png (2MB, 1920x1015px) Image search: [Google]
Hestia_Anime.png
2MB, 1920x1015px
Pic related. Wanted to see what the meme girl was all about. Danmachi isn't the dumbest anime I've ever seen, but it sure is close
>>
File: 1103.jpg (87KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1103.jpg
87KB, 1280x720px
People who expect anything realistic in anime are deluded.
>>
>>144541337
But what about it broke your suspension of disbelief?
>>
I find that the more I like the other elements of a story, the more forgiving I become when it comes to suspending disbelief. For example, in Robotics;Notes, the monopole randomly falling out of the sky which just happens to be the thing that allows them to create a workable engine for the robot (and some mechanic is somehow capable of doing, despite there being no precedence for monopole-based machines) or the AR nonsense in the final battle are bullshit, but it's essentially no worse than Steins;Gate's using a micro black hole to compress exabytes of data to kilobytes and decompressing that data and directly injecting it into someone's brain using a standard cellphone. But in R;N I was really annoyed by those things, whereas in S;N I could just pass it off as technobabble.
>>
File: untitled36.jpg (278KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
untitled36.jpg
278KB, 1600x900px
>>144536608
>>
>>144541041
Seems like you don't know what suspension of disbelief is. Also, you're not getting the point of OP.
It's assumed you're not using this real world's logic, you're getting into a fictional world in which the physics of our own world doesn't work, a world with its own reality. But sometimes the writing is so bad, the characters are so unrealistic even within that world's metrics, thus breaking your 'suspension of disbelief'.
>>
>>144541348
You're stupid. Nobody is talking about our own reality, but about the characters being unrealistic within their own world, do you get it?
>>
There's usually at least one thing in every show that pisses me off. But more often than not, it's rampant idiocy or gross incompetence that really piss me off.

Yet for some reason I still like watching this stuff. Even if it can be suffering because the characters are too goddamned Japanese.
>>
>>144536608

The last 8 episodes of Railgun S. Completely shat on the great stuff that came before it, whether it was character development or things that the setting already established.

At least it wasn't canon.
>>
>>144536608
You don't have to ignore logic.

You just have to understand the show should have it's own logic.

Zombies can exist without rotting to pieces in a smelly, disgusting slop untill they just collapse in a heap of necrotic tissue and bone.

Mechs work, even though bipeadel war machines will never be a thing because of material strength and armoring a giant dude so tanks don't nut shot him right off.

Cute girls can have psychic powers, people can be half ghost/half nip grim reaper/half angsty grim reaper/half biological weapon with a sword that talks to them, she's a squid and a kid, hey that's a deer in class, why is my wife fucking thirty black guys etc.

As long as you're presented the rules, and understand that you can't apply real world logic to them and make sense, there is no reason why you have to agonize over disbelief. There is never a situation where you should go "I can't believe this." as long as the rules explained to you, the reader/watcher, stay consistent.
>>
>>144543448
You at least have to make it believable in some fashion. It wouldn't be fiction if it didn't stray from reality but going too far disengages the viewer and hence, "breaking suspension of disbelief"

Building a giant robot since technology has advanced pretty far? Sure.
Cute girls having special powers because of a paranormal incident? Sure
But pulling shit like "the robot actually has a soul!" or power of friendship increases the powers of the girls abilities undermines the themes of the show.
>>
>>144543448
>the show should have it's own logic.
Yes, but it also should have some internal consistency.
A show can create whatever rules and settings it wants, but then it is expected for a world to work within these established rules, without breaking or suddenly changing them with some asspull.
>>
>>144536608
that is only needed on shitty anime.
there are a few cases were you don't need to.
>>
>>144542676
is this shit any good?
or one just watch it for the yandere memegirl?
>>
>>144538081
>TTGL
>it was like they didn't care how ridiculous it got and tried their best to make it as ridiculous as possible.
ya think?
>>
>>144544731
If you don't like Yuno, you will hate it. Otherwise, it's a fun, ridiculous roller-coaster of retardation. But fun retardation.
>>
>>144536608
Never. If the destruction of "suspension of disbelief" necessarily ruined a show for me, I would universally hate anime as a medium.

I don't really "turn my brain off", either. I actually enjoy noting plot-holes and general character irrationality in my anime. It's usually better if a show has an air of "self-awareness" though, and fact is, the vast majority of anime do - at least to some degree.
>>
>>144543939
Not really? So long as the show has a set of rules and sticks to them.

If it's Scooby Doo, and the last episodes go from campy hannah barbarea to cabin in the woods, it breaks the logic and therefor triggers the whole dissonance.

If in the first arc the little girls find out that the power of friendship gives them super powers, and it acts about the same way, than where's the issue.

>you have to make it believable
Sort of? You have to set the rules, but once you set the rules, you can ignore as much of our reality as you like. Physics? Fuck them. Themodynamics? Piss off. Conservation of energy? Stuff it.

I hate One Punch Man. I don't like the joke. But that's why I don't like it, the idea that a bald guy who does 100 sit ups and push ups that can hit so hard he can snuff out a star does not make me clutch my head and scream in agony because that amount of energy needed to do that would probably make the universe explode in a mini-big bang.
>>
>>144543448
>As long as you're presented the rules, and understand that you can't apply real world logic to them and make sense

Exactly. The author presents you a world with its own reality and you're willing to take it as it. But then he or she comes with some bullshit that doesn't follows the rules or the logic within the world you were presented early and then the rule (suspension of disbelief) is broken.
Like some other anons have stated, even in fantasy/fiction your characters need to be believable using the logic/reality/physics that are being applied in their world, if not then the writing is shit.
>>
It really bothers me when characters explain something that should be obvious to them.
>>
File: 1465013797910.png (283KB, 641x607px) Image search: [Google]
1465013797910.png
283KB, 641x607px
>>144538081
>It was like they didn't care how ridiculous it got and tried their best to make it as ridiculous as possible.
Wow anon did you figure that one out all on your own
>>
>>144538190
What was wrong with the lighter scene in Psycho-Pass? The bitch just pulled herself together, and the sibyl system saw that.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.