[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>suddenly every one love subaru what happened i dropped the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 210
Thread images: 19

File: 9ktH7c0.png (477KB, 1127x570px) Image search: [Google]
9ktH7c0.png
477KB, 1127x570px
>suddenly every one love subaru
what happened
i dropped the show at ep.13
should i watch the rest
>>
subaru is a piece of shit who likes the worst girl
fucking cancer
>>
>>144134924
No, I still hate him.
He hasn't stopped acting like a retard yet.

I don't feel bad about him suffering, in fact I quite enjoy it.
>>
I always loved Subaru.
>>
Who the fuck drops a show 13 episodes in?
>>
>>144134924
no, all the crossboarders and MALfriends are just storming in to jerk off on Le Suffering meme.
>>
>>144135315
see
>>144134924
pic related happened
i couldn't stand him anymore
i heard lots of anon said they droped the show too when it aired
>>
>>144135315
Someone who enjoyed the show in the beginning but thinks it's going to get worse?
>>
>>144135545
>>144135564

Pussies.

When you dedicate that many hours, you finish that shit.
>>
>>144134924
Subaru is still the same: a person with mental issues reacting to all the suffering and trauma he's going through.

Whether you like him or not has nothing to do with it.
>>
>>144135623
Don't get me wrong, I personally never drop a series if I watch more than 4 episodes. But not everyone has that sort of time or commitment.
>>
>>144134924
Episode 14 and 15 are great anon, go watch them.
>>
People who hate on Subaru are just the kids who fell for the "MC is my self-insert" trap.
>>
>>144135623
Have you ever heard of the sunk cost fallacy?
>>
I only watch because I love to hate Subaru, I love to curse him as the worst MC of all time
>>
>>144135623
>When you dedicate that many hours, you finish that shit.

This is the most retarded thing I've seen all week.

Why should i force myself to watch something i ended up not liking?
>>
How is the protagonist? Seems generic.

I want to watch it since it's popular, but anything that advertises itself with a bland looking dude surrounded only by super cute girls makes me steer clear.
>>
>>144136780
You may or may not hate the show. You may hate or love the mc, but nobody actually thinks he's a generic main character and that much I can assure you.
I like Re:zero
>>
>>144135623
What? There's no point in watching something if you believe you won't have any more fun with it. That's masochism.
>>
>>144136780
His eyeball gets licked, most exciting part of series
>>
>>144135623
>DDY
kek
>>
>>144136875
I think he's a pretty generic.
>>
File: Subaru.png (943KB, 800x1130px) Image search: [Google]
Subaru.png
943KB, 800x1130px
>>144134924
I don't like him, I like his depth as a piece of shit. He's a piece of shit, but a well written piece of shit.
>>
>>144136780
Watch the fist episodes and take your own conclusions instead of judging things you don't know with buzzwords
>>
>>144137191
>his depth
jesus christ
sometimes I wonder if people on /a/ ever read a book, or even watched anything other than the currently airing popular shit
>>
>>144137191
He's just an ordinary guy that keeps getting fucked over and killed by everyone repeatedly. I don't recall him ever doing anything that'd qualify him as "a piece of shit".
>>
>>144137285
I've read a lot of books that many would consider to be intelligent works like Dune and Ancillary justice and I think Subaru is a pretty deep character.
>>
>>144137381
Why?
>>
>>144137414
He is mean sometimes.
>>
>>144137414
How his character acts and evolves through different actions in such a believable way makes me consider him to be a good character. Also his personality is extremely multifaceted and different aspects are favored at different times like a real person would is a nice touch. Even though his not the best character I seen Subaru is still a damn good character.
>>
>>144137441
When?
>>
>>144137441
I wouldn't qualify anything he's done as mean. Possessive and deranged maybe, but he's never actively cruel.

Not that that alone would make him interesting anyways.
>>
>>144137543
ug that grammar. Sorry that I wrote that so incomprehensibly.
>>
>>144137543
I didn't know acting like a hyperactive autist was considered believable behavior.
>>
>>144137592
Yes, it's also incredibly vague.
>>
>>144137414
they all have positive & negative traits and great character designs that could highly contribute to the flow of the story-line; they have also positive audience impact like the famous girl Emilia-tan or EMT! (best girl right?!). In addition, most of those characters have their specific development throughout the story like Subaru who has really unique traits and personality compared to the other main characters out there because his positive mindset could help him on his decision-making to help other people who is really important to him and also to help himself to survive in that cruel fantasy world, even though it is really hard to help other people when he has his own problems. The supporting characters like Rem & Ram, Puck, Beatrice, and others are also very important to the development of the story; they have their own character developments and big involvement throughout the story, therefore they are also somewhat popular to the audience.
>>
>>144135099
Psycho
>>
>>144135315
I did. It started to be borefest.
>>
Is it weird if the side characters and learning about the basis for their personalities were more engaging to me than Subaru?

Though, if with the recent episodes he starts to get what's coming to him for his actions and thought process I think I'll enjoy watching him.
>>
>>144137840
4/10, decent bait, certainly incomprehensible enough without sounding completely retarded, but the inclusion of
>like the famous girl Emilia-tan or EMT! (best girl right?!).
gave you away.
>>
>>144137751
I don't want to make obvious spoilers so just watch the show and make your own assumptions.
>>
File: 1468404104013.gif (723KB, 405x687px) Image search: [Google]
1468404104013.gif
723KB, 405x687px
>>
>>144136780
the more interesting question is: how is the supporting cast? a bunch of moeblob waifu?
>>
>>144137543

The problem with this is that it all seems like it's placed there for the sake of convenience. The only consistent factor we get from Subaru is that he has a fear of death and pain, which is not enough to define him as a well written character.

Characters in isekai tend to offer very little if any information about their past, so we know nothing about their core personality or why they think and act the way that they do. Usually historical personal information is withheld so that self-inserting is made easier, and Subaru seems to close to that line. The recent episodes with him coming to terms with how much of a tool he's been acting were a pleasant surprise to me because now there's actual potential for character development rather than just a set of generic personality traits and knowledge that all have things go well for him no matter where he finds himself.
>>
>>144138161

I would argue that the supporting cast is better than the MC. It was the side characters that made me want to keep watching.
>>
>>144138126
DELET!
>>
>>144138101
You shouldn't have to spoil to show to explain what makes him a good character.
>>
>>144138126
>That haircut

It just makes me want to slap him.

Anyway, this show looks generic as fuck. Is this like Tokyo Ghoul where le suffering is the only reason why it's popular and considered well writen?
>>
I don't mind Subaru as a character, he sure as hell isn't deep, but part of me is cheering for him. Hopefully he actually does turn things around in the future and stops being so pathetic. And for some reason he gives me Bobby Pendragon vibes.
>>
>>144138462
Why don't you watch it and make your own judgements you turbo fucking plebeian
>>
>>144138462
I dunno man it gets like 6 threads a day so that should tell you something.
>>
>>144138522
The only time i was wrong about his kind of thing was when I watched Sora No Woto and read Fate/Stay Night(and even then only partially for F/SN). Character design is usually a good way to tell if a show is going to be shit or not

I don't see why i should waste time watching some popular anime the season who's going to be forgotten in two month.
>>
>>144134924
Fuck you just watch the show.
>>
File: 1465450847832.jpg (46KB, 604x453px) Image search: [Google]
1465450847832.jpg
46KB, 604x453px
>>144138565
>It's popular so it's good
>>
>>144138648
>my time is so valuable I can't spend 4 hours to watch the most talked about show of the last 2 seasons to see what all the fuss is about despite being able to shitpost on /a/ all day

Why don't you just check what your favorite youtube anime reviewer has to say so you don't have to think for yourself?
>>
>>144138462

Eh, the side characters were actually alright in my opinion. I guess it depends on where you draw the line for generic and whether or not you're interested in the characters.
>>
>being this retarded
>>
>>144138161
Most of the mansion characters are one dimensional, but once they get out of the arc there (ep 10+ on) new people finally appear again and they're leagues better.
Main girl is about as deep and inspiring as a saltine cracker.
>>
>>144138767
>this is shit even though i haven't seen it
>wahhhhh why does everyone say it's good, it's shit it's shit believe me i haven't seen it but trust me i know it's shit

Holy hell off yourself.
>>
>>144138905

>mansion characters are one dimensional

I felt that out of all the characters there at the time Ram and Rem were actually pretty decent since they were the only ones you actually learned something about. Their motivations, beliefs, and feelings gave them depth that other characters in the show lacked.
>>
>>144139007
>>144138905
Eh, they aren't really one-dimensional. The really one-dimensional characters you usually want to hate are the ones that constantly revolve or bend around to the main character. The side characters don't do that and constantly make a reminder that the shounenshit that Subaru likes to follow will not work.
>>
>>144138848

That 4 hours i could actually spend doing something enjoyable actually

Like shitposting on /a/
>>
His rants in episode 13 were the most perfectly cringe inducing thing ever.

You're sat there thinking "Don't do it faggot", but he fucking does and he JUST KEEPS TALKING. It's actually great because of how much of an impact it makes on the viewer.
>>
>>144138565
More like 10+ threads at all times. It's great because the number of threads really triggers some people.
>>
I need help. For the first time in my life Im having some serious anger problems. Everytime I read someone praising Re:Zero as masterpiece I suddenly want to destroy something. I have never been this mad. How can I be peaceful again?
>>
>>144139492
>triggers
Kill yourself you underage newfag.
>>
>>144138514
Oh shit I didn't think I'd ever find someone else who read that.
>>
>>144140085
Did that trigger you anon?
>>
>>144137361
I dunno that whole NiceGuyâ„¢ rant was pretty shitty.
>>
>>144138916
I saw it and dropped it like the overplayed piece of shit it was, new-kun
>>
>>144137741
Being believable doesn't mean acting like the most average person. If a real person was the kind of hikki NEET Subaru is, the way he acts is very consistent with that.
>>
>>144140788
There's plenty of room between being completely generic and being overtly and constantly obnoxious.
>>
>>144140753
>dropped it like the overplayed piece of shit it was

Confirmed contrarian.
>>
>>144140898
Right well I'm just arguing that being a believable well written character doesn't mean he's a likable character. Subaru is very flawed and the series takes great lengths to show just how flawed he is.

Just like in real life becoming aware of the mistakes you make doesn't magically fix you, Suburu has to die many times before he starts to really change.
>>
>>144141031
>Right well I'm just arguing that being a believable well written character doesn't mean he's a likable character.
Well written characters are almost always likable or sympathetic in some way. Even if they do horrible stuff, a well written character will have reasons for doing those things that the audience can understand and relate to. If they end up coming off as annoying, that's probably because the author isn't explaining they're state of mind well enough.
>>
>>144134924
>i dropped the show at ep.13
You're missing a 10/10 episode if you don't pick up. Watch for Rem, not for Subaru. and embrace despair.
>>
>>144141154

>because the author isn't explaining they're state of mind well enough

Exactly because we know nothing about Subaru's past. We know nothing about how he lives or what his experiences were that brought him to where he is now. All that results in is a feeling of "Oh, I guess that's a thing he can do that conveniently makes sense in this context."

Rem and Ram are far better written in this aspect than the MC is.
>>
>>144141154
>>144141326
All we knew was that he was a NEET. His actions all indicate wanting attention/bringing himself higher in a new world that gives him a brand new start. If any of you think he's too social to be a NEET, then realize this:
> Acting like a fucking idiot and sperging out.
He was and still is a loser. His very actions and words indicate being the lowest.
>>
>>144141154
Idk man a lot of people praise Holden Caulfield being well written but I still think he's an unsympathetic cunt.
>>
>>144141536
"He was a loser" isn't enough context. There are a lot of different losers in this world, and they all act differently. I need to know what makes him think this strange, obnoxious act he puts on will be effective.
>>
>>144141752
Considering he's an otaku NEET I'd say it's because of gal games and anime.
>>
>>144141851
Okay. But we don't know that.
>>
>>144141976
Well then that brings in a writing problem, is it good writing if everything is spelled out for you? And is it just lazy to force the reader to infer?

I don't know I watch Chinese cartoons for chrissakes I'm not sure it's even possible to enjoy it if you're into literary fiction.
>>
>>144135099
>>144134924
People who dislike him are just genuinely stupid.
There is literally nothing to hate about him.
>>
I bet this theme is at least 50% of the episode's atmosphere https://youtu.be/Hi2Xhg5qpo0

He's still a boring fellow but someone at whitefox loves his job
>>
>>144142136

>Nice Guy Rant
>Can't hate the guy for telling bitches like it is!

Anon, please.
>>
>>144134924
>imgur filename
>stream screenshot
Every fucking Re:Zero thread starts with these. Fuck off and lurk for 2 years before posting.
>>
Are the people who find Subaru boring/ generic/ a bad character actually just autistic neets who can't read into people at all?
>>
>>144138648
Re:Zero will definitely not be forgotten. It's pretty high up there with the average anime fan. It surpassed Death Note on MAL a couple days ago.

Whether or not /a/ hates it is not something worth considering, since they do not make up the general opinion.
>>
>>144142184
He feels that he is being cornered and doesn't want to let go.
What he is doing is wrong but it's not something farfetched.
A hiki neet who just got his ass handed to him shattering the little pride he had, getting dumped by the girl he desperately pursues makes for a spergout.
Desperation drives people to do retarded shit.
>>
>>144142129
It's not lazy to have the reader infer, but there's nothing to infer here. Nothing he's ever said or done suggests what the source of his bizarre behavior is.
>>
>>144142136
>I'm going to get into a fight with a knight because of my hubris even though I have literally zero usefulness beyond the ability to return to life after dying
>I-I helped you I deserve a reward you owe me
>Everyone died and instead of doing something about it I'm just going to pretend to go insane and act catatonic
Truly the next Kamina.
>>
>>144142194
>why do these threads about this seasonal anime feature images from the anime in their OP
>>
>>144142351
>seeing people you actually love mutilated
Yeah anon, you'd probably just shrug it off :^)
>>
Question for LN fags, the episode's title mark the start or the end of the chapter? Next episode is pigs desire, does it start from that chapter or ends at that chapter?
>>
>>144142351
Literally every character ever can be broken down like this and just because a character does things you don't like does not make them a bad character
>>
>>144142346

What are you talking about? He says he's a NEET in the first few episodes and uses gaming terms like "flags" to describe situations he finds himself in. Does he have to explicitly say he's a gamer before the viewer can infer anything?
>>
>>144142402
Starts.
>>
>>144141536

This >>144141752

It's the same issue I have when people say that him fearing death or pain provides more depth or insight into how he would act. A well written character should have enough information available that you can make predictions about how they would act in a certain situation or scenario as well as understand why they would feel the way they do about something through a chain of events that built their personality. The more you have to operate on base assumptions or speculation, the less credibility there is.
>>
>>144142152

Probably because they realized that Rem is a far better character that is far more relatable, has more depth, and charm.

The theme was pretty good and far more than I expected from this show.
>>
>>144142502
We have no idea what kind of games he plays, or to what degree he thinks games are like this world, or why he thinks games are like this world even though he's been shown they aren't on multiple occasions.
>>
>>144142394
no you nigger it shouldn't have taken him two deaths to get the determination he has at the end of the episode.
>>144142408
I didn't say he was a bad character I'm saying he's kind of a piece of shit.
>>
File: 1468445362482.jpg (46KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1468445362482.jpg
46KB, 1280x720px
>>144142351

This is what NEETs get for being slothful and expecting things to just work for them. Others enabled him to live the way he did. Basic NHK shit.
>>
>>144134924
People who drop shows then come back when they're popular again are cock hungry sluts.
>>
>>144142542
Then our opinions have to differ. I suppose the only thing to blame is the emptiness of your head.
>>
>>144142720
I love that this crazy bastard could see right through Suburu's act and calls him out on his weaknesses.
>>
>>144143015

Sinners always recognize other sinners.
>>
>>144142817

Call it whatever you like. For me, I'm not willing to move my goalposts to accommodate matter of fact styles of writing. It's an established and accepted rule that well written characters provide insight into their actions so that you can understand them. They are characters, not archetypes or caricatures and thus far Subaru has not demonstrated depth beyond wanting to have others provide an easy life for him and being the ideal protagonist that people love for no reason, which is very broad. Plenty of people would want to think that way.
>>
Betelgeuse best boy. No contest.
>>
Betelgeuse!
Betelgeuse!
Betelgeuse!
>>
>>144137741
Try taking a good look on this board
>>
>>144142328
You really Boku Dake was topping MAL at one point, right? It dropped straight down after because ratings get crazy inflated for flavor of the month series, nobody gives a shit about it now. Death Note is still the most popular series on the site by far if you check the actual popularity rankings.

This is just another Boku Dake and will be forgotten too.
>>
Setting aside any weaknesses in the story itself, they did a fucking fantastic job on the adaptation.

Was concerned they would tone things down too much for TV.
>>
>>144143888
idk Re:Zero has the benefit of being 2-cour and the suffering is enough to give it some notoriety in the anime community. All Boku Dake had going for it was it seemed cinematic because muh letterboxing.
>>
>>144144013
BokuDake had plenty of suffering too.
>>
>>144144067
Right but Suburu has died 9 times now and only two of them were clean and painless. he's also seen the people he loves die more than once.
>>
>>144144217
>But you see, this show has even MORE suffering than the other one
Why does that even matter?
>>
>>144144013
>idk
Learn how to fucking type, shit for brains.
>>
>>144142646
I would not even bother looking at references of those as that is equivalent to spoonfeeding. No one wants specifics to crap like Naruto or be spoonfed references to some rpg/anime. That would make it a parody which this series is not aiming for. He's in a fantasy, believes he was summoned to be a protagonist (hence, "I'M IN A FANTASY WORLD" "I WILL ACTIVATE MY HIDDEN POWERS!")
>>144142542
It is right there. What built Subaru's self-pride/worth issue won't be explained till later in arc 4. Why he is braindead is just him.
>>144142346
> Suggest his bizarre behavior.
You want a reason? He just wants to attention! Arc 4 really needs to come.
>>144141976
He stayed in his room playing games the whole day like he said in the after the convenience store.
>>144141752
Arc 4 can't come fast enough. Season 2 is gonna be long field day.
>>144143888
>>144144013
>>144144067
>>144144217
> Talking about and referring to MAL.
And this is why you people belong there.
>>
>muh edge anime is so deep and amazing

its really not very good

its like the anime GoT, we will get some HAPPENING at the end of the series and everyone will think its GOAT before forgetting about it a month later
>>
>>144144406
>Look guys you only have to wait for the second season to see why the protagonist is an obnoxious idiot! What a well written and riveting story!
>>
File: Slothful.jpg (69KB, 528x672px) Image search: [Google]
Slothful.jpg
69KB, 528x672px
>>144144486
> edge
Am I supposed to take buzzwords seriously? Why are people plagiarizing a buzzword that has no meaning except for the people that decided to make it that way? That's being artifical and has no context whatsoever. And your sentences look like utter crap. Take some time to proofread, you're only revealing your sin of Sloth.
>>
>>144144568
This is why everyone hates secondaries.
>>
>>144144568
>If everything about a character isn't revealed from the start then it's shit
nigger
>>
>>144144677

MUH BUZZWORD

edge just means it makes excessive use of violence for shock value

like having eyeless children, or violent torture scenes

edgy as fuck

regardless it can be edgy and still be good, but it just isnt, plot is meandering and not properly set out, characters are weak as fuck
>>
>>144144568
This is done all the time in fiction to make the reader sympathize with a character he would previously dislike
I'm sorry the author doesn't spell everything when and how you want him to
>>
>>144144690
No, "everyone" hates secondaries because they're a bunch of smug dumbasses who think they're better than everyone for reading some shitty web novel that no one cares about.

>>144144733
Yes, if a character does something and I can't understand why they did it for 20 or more episodes, I'm going to just assume it was arbitrary.
>>
>>144144747
>edge just means it makes excessive use of violence for shock value
No it doesn't
>>
>>144144747
>like having eyeless children, or violent torture scenes
But that shit had a purpose because it showed how violent the witch cult is.
>>
>>144144747
Oh fuck off, just because you have the attention span of an autistic retard doesn't mean that the show sucks, you just aren't thinking at all about the context.
Oh, and learn what edgy means, because you really don't know what it is.
>>
File: Sinful anon.gif (1019KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
Sinful anon.gif
1019KB, 500x281px
>>144144747
> Making up a definition of a word to justify your own meaning rather than the actual definition.
> Can't even proofread anything.
> Decides to press enter every sentence only to look redundant.
There's no limit to being slothful, is there?
>>
>>144138905
>mansion characters are one dimensional
there's definitely a lot of room for development and they've hinted at a lot of things. I'm sure there's a lot in store we aren't expecting
>>
>>144144830
God forbid that authors save big reveals about characters for later on
I bet no good author ever did that and sold well. Surely something like that was never the entire point of a good story and only came to light at the ending because of it
>>
>>144144830
>No, "everyone" hates secondaries because they're a bunch of smug dumbasses who think they're better than everyone for reading some shitty web novel that no one cares about.
I don't think that word means what you think it means.
>>
>>144145104
You don't want to be overloaded with exposition every single scene? What are you, a retard
>>
>>144145120
My statement refers to "everyone", not secondaries. It is somewhat ambiguous, but you should have been able to use context to figure it out.
>>
>>144144830
>secondaries
>reading some web novel

Nigga what? Learn what the fuck you're even talking about before you make yourself look like an even bigger fucktard.
>>
>>144144830
>>144144747
This is the level of criticism of some people who hate Re:Zero. Making up definitions for words you don't know, and not fucking paying attention to the story at all.
>>
>>144138462
>where le suffering is the only reason why it's popular and considered well writen?
my suggestion is that instead of picking up the show, you take a rope, tie a noose, and hang yourself
>>
>>144144830
>Yes, if a character does something and I can't understand why they did it for 20 or more episodes, I'm going to just assume it was arbitrary.
You must watch 100 or more anime before posting here.
>>
>>144136780
Surprisingly not as generic as you'd think, is flawed but also has a lot more positives than you'd think, and not in a good way (he lifts weights despite being NEET so he's still fit and can fight back). I like him, I don't know why people would drop on ep.13 because that rant made me finally decide I liked Subaru.
>>
>>144145275
He might come back as a memeboy in his own fantasy world
>>
>>144143888
Boku Dake is like two ranks behind Death Note, I just checked. It's still one of the top rated shows on the site
>>
File: 1468217251600.jpg (112KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1468217251600.jpg
112KB, 1280x720px
>this thread
>>
>>144145104
It can be done, but those reveals usually only work with antagonists or with specific puzzling actions done by otherwise sensible and consitent characters. It shouldn't be done with the standard, everyday actions of the main character, the character that we should understand best.
>>
>>144141154
>Well written characters are almost always likable or sympathetic in some way.

That is objectively wrong. Sympathy is insanely subjective. In fact an author that' trying to get his character to be sympathetic often times comes off as pandering. It degrades the character and worse if its done poorly makes it look like your pushing some retarded message.

The best way to make a character is simply to create a fleshed out character and place him in the setting and LEAVE IT to the reader/viewer to decide whether that agree or disagree.

From a meta perspective real life human beings are well written fleshed out characters, but that doesn't mean I sympathize with them or agree with them.
>>
>>144145418

Fucking this. If the main character is not supposed to be the anchor through we which experience the story, then who is? It -should- be the protagonist.
>>
>>144145372
What's your point? It's inflated, as ratings always are during and temporarily after hyped shows. There is absolutely no way to gauge Re:zero's continued popularity with MAL rankings at this point.
>>
>>144145231
This is the level of criticism of some people who like Re:Zero. Deliberately misinterpreting criticism to feel smug and superior.
>>
>>144145342
His ugly face and and the overall patheticness of the rant was pretty off putting. He seriously sounded like one of those stereotypical nice guys that think they deserve sex for being a friend.
>>
File: 1393045096935.gif (479KB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
1393045096935.gif
479KB, 320x180px
>>144141154
>Well written characters are almost always likable or sympathetic in some way
Jesus do you watch anything besides SoL?
>>
File: 1465101020874.jpg (47KB, 371x348px) Image search: [Google]
1465101020874.jpg
47KB, 371x348px
>>144145532
>>
>>144145546

Pretty sure that was the point. It was supposed to emphasis how out of touch reality was from his ideal MC shounen isekai fantasies. Seems like it's all set up for a major paradigm shift.
>>
>>144145521
I wasn't trying to make any point, just point out that you were wrong and obviously didn't look up shit and don't know what you're talking about. You shifting the goalposts here is already given me enough info to know you're either trolling or a retard
>>
File: 1368826996873.gif (496KB, 500x455px) Image search: [Google]
1368826996873.gif
496KB, 500x455px
>People who don't like the show can't self insert, try to make up excuses other than that
>People who like the show try to justify enjoying it outside of "X girl is cute"

Everyone needs to find their heads again. I could almost watch last episode for the music alone.
>>
>>144145532
>spot the cross-boarder
>>
>>144145463
Good characters end up sympathetic because you understand their motivations as fully realized characters. You might still disagree with them or find their actions despicable but you still understand them as people and are sympathetic toward them because of that.
>>
>>144145418
>those reveals usually only work with antagonists
>or with specific puzzling actions done by otherwise sensible and consitent characters.
>It shouldn't be done with the standard, everyday actions of the main character,
>the character that we should understand best.
You're no longer being objective. Every single one of these is just your opinion and there's no reason why any of them holds truth. You just don't like the writing style, is too used to linear stories or with info dumps
>>
>>144145598
Don't get me wrong I liked it showing just how out of touch he is but I'm explaining why other people wouldn't. Everyone is used to plain and boring MCs so when we get one with some character, and not necessarily likable character, it can make people drop the show.

Plus I can totally see some SJW dropping the show because of how much of a Nice Guy Suburu sounded like.
>>
>>144145521
>It's inflated, as ratings always are during and temporarily after hyped shows
people said the same thing about shows like ping pong, OPM and shigatsu wa kimi, yet they're still at the top of the site rankings
>>
>>144145532
How does it feel to have a crippling case of retardation?
>>
>>144145728
We're talking about art you dumbass, no one is ever being objective. I could say the exact same thing about any praise you could level at the story. You're just deflecting because you don't know how to dismiss or confont my arguments anymore.
>>
>>144145733
I'm pretty WN readers say arc 3 is the strongest arc, so I expect the scores to stay pretty high.
>>
>>144145821
Those are not arguments. They're your personal preferences. Stories do not have to be told the way you in particular think they should
>>
>>144145821
>we're talking about art nothing is objective
>but you're response indicates you're objectively wrong
Is he retarded or is he underaged? Who fucking knows I'm going to one of the other seven re:zero threads this is getting annoying.
>>
>>144145665
No bad characters are one where you are completely apathetic towards and you don't give a fuck about them.

>generic cookie cutter hero
Whatever I've seen them a million times before.

>Gary stu
He's perfect. What more do I need or want to say?

Those are bad because you don't care about them.

You don't need an entire inner monologue to understand their motivations. You can judge them by the actions they make and continue to make. That say's more then a thousand expositions. If you were a clever writer then you would have an inner monologue that was contradictory to their actions. So that you could show that this character lies to them self.

I understand why Nazi Germany killed the Jews but that doesn't mean I sympathize with them. That's the bullshit I'm talking about. If you try too hard to make characters "sympathetic" the author will often try to justify their actions.
>>
Could someone write up what Subaru's personality is?
>inb4 one word paragraph 'autistic'
>>
File: 1466456708168.jpg (126KB, 1111x805px) Image search: [Google]
1466456708168.jpg
126KB, 1111x805px
>>
>>144145937
Of course they're my personal preferences. What else would I argue in favor of? If we shouldn't be arguing our personal preferences, you shouldn't be challenging me at all, unless you actually don't care about Re:Zero and are just playing devil's advocate.

>>144146159
>No bad characters are one where you are completely apathetic towards and you don't give a fuck about them.
That's not wrong, but we're talking about what makes a character good right now, not what makes them bad

>You don't need an entire inner monologue to understand their motivations. You can judge them by the actions they make and continue to make.
Yes, but if a characters actions don't make any sense, there's no meaning to be pulled from them.

>If you were a clever writer then you would have an inner monologue that was contradictory to their actions. So that you could show that this character lies to them self.
Yeah, but that's not something you should do all the time.

>I understand why Nazi Germany killed the Jews but that doesn't mean I sympathize with them.
But I'm willing to bet if you knew a Nazi really, really well you would almost certainly be able to sympathize with him.
>>
File: roman tomboy.jpg (251KB, 850x693px) Image search: [Google]
roman tomboy.jpg
251KB, 850x693px
>>144142351
There's literally nothing wrong with the first two things and the third one is arguable. He defended his pride and didn't act like an altruistic doormat who does everything for his m'lady and expects nothing in exchange. What I didn't like was that he was all "I did it for youuu" when he clearly was doing for himself. But so what? Fuck that commie bitch.
>>
>>144146312
Low self esteem from failing to live up to people's expectations despite great efforts. As a means of escaping reality decided to go full NEET. Sees the new world as a fresh start and helping emilia and the rest of the mansion as a means of no longer feeling worthless. For that he feel the need to try as hard as he can to constantly be useful: is scared of losing the spotlight, reason why he couldn't stand not being part of an important event
>>
>>144141229
Rem was ruined once she started going full dere over that retarded MC.
>>
File: 1446144410463.png (113KB, 374x213px) Image search: [Google]
1446144410463.png
113KB, 374x213px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hi2Xhg5qpo0

Emilia will never fill Rem's role
>>
>>144142673
Are you retarded?
>>
>>144146778
With what?
>>
>>144146431
Proposing that the lack of context from a character's past can be a bad thing because it impairs sympathizing is an atgument. Proposing that X thing usually only works with antagonists is not, much less without proper justification
>>
>>144142394
>Death means so little in this setting the author had to go into gore territory for that escene to have any impact on the viewer.
>>
>>144146843

Her massive cock
>>
>>144146778
>all these shit piano covers

Just post the fucking song you fucking filthy flip.

https://youtu.be/_zAtJRc2ob4
>>
>>144141154
>Well written characters are almost always likable or sympathetic in some way
I can tell that you don't read much.
>>
>>144146902
Death not actually being meaningless is one of the main points
Fuck off retard
>>
>>144147276
I'm sure he meant main characters
It's usually what happens, but only because it's easier to write
>>
File: wat.jpg (17KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
wat.jpg
17KB, 320x320px
>>144137285
>Read a book
>/a/
>>
>>144142351
Pretty much this, although he's character is repulsive.. it's GOAT for character development. Instead of gary sues or putting character traits into boxes, he's human and we can easily tell.
It makes me laugh people still thing his character was off topic on 13, he's always been like that, it's just shown that he's a "nice guy" but this is reality.
>>
It was e. e. cummings, the poet, who said he'd rather learn from one bird how to sing than teach 10,000 stars how not to dance. I imagine cummings would not have enjoyed Re:Zero," in which stars dance but birds do not sing. The fascinating thing about this anime is that it fails on the human level but succeeds magnificently on a cosmic scale.

It does not hook its effects on specific plot points, nor does it ask us to identify with Subaru or any other character. It says to us: We became men when we learned to think. Our minds have given us the tools to understand where we live and who we are. Now it is time to move on to the next step, to know that we live not on a planet but among the stars, and that we are not flesh but intelligence. It's genius.
>>
>>144147170
I have mixed feelings about this. It's obviously incredibly sad, but knowing that everything is daijoubu one minute later makes it kind of less sad, even though it's very depressing. However the knowledge that everything is actually not in fact going to be daijoubu in the end makes it even worse.
>>
>>144142351
You guys are seriously overblowing Subaru's flaws. It's quite obvious that Subaru was definitely insane at that point, and at least slightly out of commission. He's even worse by the ending of episode 15, where he's become completely unhinged.

Your next words will be to tell me to go back to /r9k/ or something equally as vacuous as that.
>>
>>144147476
that is quite a nice small paragraph
>>
>>144146431
>That's not wrong, but we're talking about what makes a character good right now, not what makes them bad
No it's really that simple. Do you care or not. That's it. Love or hate that's what makes a character good or bad. Whether you feel something or anything at all. That's the only thing art is about - really.

>Yes, but if a characters actions don't make any sense, there's no meaning to be pulled from them.
Yes that's why it's about consistency. If their actions are consistent with what they've been doing then there's meaning that can be derived from that. Where character development comes from is when they make an inconsistent action, a change if you will. That's what makes it meaningful. If a character has been doing the wrong thing the whole series and decides to CHANGE then it could be said he's developed slightly.

>Yeah, but that's not something you should do all the time.
It was just an example.

>But I'm willing to bet if you knew a Nazi really, really well you would almost certainly be able to sympathize with him.
Look that's an extreme example I pulled out of my ass to make a point. But there is a word that describes this its called being a dirty fuckin APOLOGIST. Please take a look at the pic I attached. I understand why HE WAS TRYING TO RAPE HIS CHILDHOOD CRUSH. I do. The guy never had a chance and he ended up turning out be a worthless loser and failure in life. Falling so low as to sneak into a school to steal the used clothing of middle-schoolers.

BUT I DO NO FUCKING SYMPATHIZE. I don't GIVE A FUCK IF HE THOUGHT LIFE WAS UNFAIR. THAT'S NOT A JUSTIFICATION FOR RAPE.

Look its possible to understand something and still not give a shit. It doesn't justify someones actions. Sympathy is a subjective opinion.

Also don't be a rape apologist anon. It is what it is.
>>
>>144144486
>happy ending at the end
>edge anime
No happy ending, also this is edge you fucking idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_Mw47Gmy2A
In context to the story in Re:zero, it's been toned down, but imo for the better.
>>
>>144146643
In another word; autistic
>>
File: 1394596192686.png (128KB, 308x308px) Image search: [Google]
1394596192686.png
128KB, 308x308px
>>144147476
>>
>>144134924
No. It's shit. It's just torture porn for the remaining 11 eps.
Rem dies at the end too
>>
>>144147647
Do words mean nothing anymore
>>
>>144147679
this
go watch something good like flying witch or mob psycho, OP
>>
>>144136891
masochists enjoy it though
>>
>>144147679
You only small bits of spoilers, some fake and some not, so shut the fuck up.
>>
>>144147721
No.
>>
>>144147772
Re:fag getting angry it seems
>>
File: 1435380557598.gif (993KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1435380557598.gif
993KB, 250x250px
>>144147723
d-does that mean im an M?
>>
>>144146312
Megalomaniac that can't admit his faults
>>
So I haven't seen this show.

Is it true he gets together with the blue haired maid?
>>
>>144147840
No. She falls in love with him though
>>
>>144137191
Seraphim?
>>
Threadly reminder that Subaru is an absolute cunt.

The previous three episodes have proven just how much of a fucking scumbag Subaru is. It's honestly revolting how fucking wicked and distorted his worldviews are. Emilia didn't ask for him to kill himself billions of times for her, she didn't ask for anything, but he still went ahead, dead set on her like a tiger stalking their prey. All he really wants to do is get "muh hot elf girl" and feel like a badass hero. He doesn't care about the well-being of anyone else. Emilia is just an object to him, as is Rem.All Rem and the village were to him were just a means to attain better standing with his perfect waifu. Same with Felt, and virtually everyone else in the show. He doesn't give a shit about the villagers. He's said because he failed to protect them, and by proxy he's failed Emilia, and she's going to hate him even more. Same with Rem's death. It's so blatantly fucking obvious. Everything he does is perfectly calculated to improve his relationship with Emilia, akin to a worthless NEET coldly plowing through a visual novel, which makes perfect sense, considering his previous life.

His "selfless" nature is just self-masturbatory selfishness in disguise, further worsened by his entitlement to any sort of gratitude from the people he "saves," as if they owed him anything in return. Furthermore, the fact that he FAKED a mental breakdown is the cherry on top. They just fail to see how narrow-sighted and vapid he really is. As for Julius, he's been the most honorable male on the show, so far, right in front of Reinhardt. I'd go as far as to say that Subaru is only slightly above the Witch Cult members, but then again, I haven't spoiled myself as to what their motives are, or what they do. But anyway, Subaru has deserved everything that has happened to him, so far.

I can definitely see where the "Dark Lord" predictions are coming from. He's definitely morally bankrupt enough to be an evil tyrant, already.
>>
>>144147840
Yes and no
>>
>>144146312
He has no personality, he's shitty neet self insert and the worst character here.
Generic fantasy mc would be so much better, isekai genre with it's so funny 4th wall breaks should die in a fire.
>>
>>144148479
Did you just act retarded just to bump the thread?
>>
>>144147927
Don't forget ruining her political plans with some retarded hope that shittalking everyone would impress her
>>
>>144148621
Then explain why this anon is retarded then re:fag.
Thread posts: 210
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.