[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just finished this nothing memorable but pretty good for the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 3

File: the-boy-and-the-beast.jpg (194KB, 830x467px) Image search: [Google]
the-boy-and-the-beast.jpg
194KB, 830x467px
Just finished this nothing memorable but pretty good for the moment. I found the second part where he goes to the human world to learn kind of boring. Overall, 7/10. What did you guys think of the film?
>>
>>140917433
Was shaping up to be a good film until it went full retard after the match.
>>
Remember to take your exams, kids.
>>
>>140917433
I still have to watch this but /a/ seems to hate Hosoda for some reason.
Wolf Children and Summer Wars are shat on constantly.
>>
>>140917537
This tbqh
>>
>>140917537
>>140917613
I agree. I feel like the whole film could of been done without him going back to the human world.Hes not that bad he grows through the film and matures.
>>
>>140917613
Wolf Children is good, but furries

Summer Wars is shit
>>
File: 75690670947230943654.jpg (41KB, 248x250px) Image search: [Google]
75690670947230943654.jpg
41KB, 248x250px
I wouldn't know because my dumbass theater listed it as subbed but it was actually dubbed when I got there.

Haven't bother to download it yet because I'm still mad whenever I see it.
>>
>>140917433
>MC being one of the most annoying little fucking cunt
>The romance was rushed, boring and not believable
>The antagonist wasn´t fleshed out enough since the MC never ever interacted with him
>MC never interacted with the monkey and pig monk other than them giving snarky remarks, yet the shows try to force feels near the end
>The usual overused moral message of revenge is wrong yadda yadda
I really looked forward to it. And fuck did I feel like I wasted my time. The animation was surprisingly bland, and the fights had garbage choreography. Shitty CG on the later half for the whale and cars ruined what little good it had going for it.

Things I would have like:
- MC being a nice guy instead of a whiny bitch
- More interactions between MC and the beast world
- More interaction with monkey and pig monk, if not cut them out
- Remove the romance, or incorporate it so that it happens in the beast world
- The little edgy boipucci being a girl and gett more development shown
- More of the world, the wandering around to other masters looke sweet, but was a boring short montage that in hindsight was quite wasted

NotWorthWatchingEvenForFree/10
>>
Didn't realize it was out
Gonna check it out tomorrow
>>
>>140917613
Not seem Wolf Children, but Summer Wars was shit. It was the Digimon movie without the digimon.
>>
>>140917770
Yea I agree they honestly should of cut the romance, maybe cut him growing up. Should of dedicated more time to world building and interaction with the beasts.
>>
>>140917865
Nobodies denies that SW was a reworked version of the Digimon movie.
But it had far better direction, art and animation, and the entire plot about the family, that was the heart of the movie.
Anyone that thinks that it's worse than the original is blinded by nostalgia.
>>
>>140917899
The latter half was the absolute worst. Him training with Kuma was borderline tolerable. The time skip ruined everything. I guess they wanted to do the teenage rebel phase, but you would have thought the guy would have grown into a mature fellow and not your average angsty teen. I also feel a cheated on how they tried to deliver the some kind of PR message about nip exams (they are pretty important in nipland), when the movie was not about that.
>>
I personally like SW than WC.
anw Hosoda is overrated. His movies has good production value though.
>>
>>140918114
>Trash talk nostalgia
>Not realizing SW is old enough to go under the rose-tinted glasses category too
The protagonist was so generic it just felt like a self-insert story of getting a pretty girl out of nowhere and saving the world.
>>
>>140918132
Yea, again the whole movie should of never had him go back to the human world. They should of made it a boxing/coming of age movie were him and the beast go through small fights leading to the championship fight aka his brother.(is what i think)
>>
>>140918279
I can't really have Nostalgia for something from 2010. You must be much younger than me.
And the MC is serviceable enough. The movie has a huge cast, and is more on about their interaction as a group than on the development of a single character.
>>
>>140917770
Pretty much everything said here.
I fucking paid money to see this shit in theaters and I felt fucking played.

I would've been fine with the overused archetypes and cliches in the training part if they at least stuck with it.
But then the MC goes back to human world and it's like, "weren't we in the middle of something?" And suddenly it's like we've been thrown into some other cliche and boring film.

By the end of it, when they were trying to tie it all together at the end with the final fight, I was about to die of embarrassment, despite being in a nearly empty theater.
>>
>>140917433

Solid production values but the plot tried to do too much.
>>
>>140917433
It was okay. I enjoyed it but the film could have been more refined.

I thought it was weird how there was another human in the monster world but no one seemed to say anything about it, not even the other human.

And I thought they sort of deus ex machina'd the ending where the rabbit guy suddenly says he'll let the bear guy become a god in his place, and by god I mean a sword that'll solve everything. I mean it was nice how it tied into the "sword within your heart thing" at the start of the film, but they really expected you to accept a lot of new stuff that you had no idea was possible based on the previous events of the movie.

tl;dr: I liked it but the ending was pretty rushed and sloppy.
>>
>>140917433
I was stunned how terrible the fights were. Looked great, but no substance nor focus. It was worse than Mari Okada NTR schlock movie.
>>
>>140917770
>>140917899
What romance? I'm pretty sure him and the girl ended in strong friendship terms despite how it started; in a way we thought it was going to end like but didn't. I was honestly so glad when I expected them to kiss at the fireworks scene but they didn't.
>>
>>140917433
Let me say this. I was mad seeing this even if it did not cost me a cent.
>>
>>140918765
Don´t a be a dense beta harem MC anon. The romance is implied and for the average anime watcher, is like having it choked down your throat instead of getting more bro moments with Kuma and company.
>>
>>140918831

>dense beta harem MC

It's actually called autism. Most of this board has it.
>>
>>140917613
Summer Wars was liked when it came out.
Wold Children and this get shat on because it boils down to "sacrifice yourself, let your ungrateful kids do what they want". Same as how people hate Miyazaki's constant "humans are bad nature is good".
>>
>>140918939

To be fair I felt that Ponyo was the only one that was "humans are bad nature is good" because of the simplistic nature of the characters.

Also, everyone shits on Summer Wars for being a Digimon movie rehash.
>>
>>140917433

Flaccid writing with a mishmash of cliches that featured obtuse exposition like expounding on obvious visual metaphors, which were heavy handed as all hell, and relationships in lieu of actually creating characters with personality. Signature traits of Hosoda's style are crap in this movie like the extended POV scene when MC enters their world. The lateral tracking that's simply used to condense the time spent shopping? Obvious reveals of characters off-screen in a horrible bullying scene? Wolf Children was definitely better from a directing standpoint. Overall, it was a mediocre film. Hosoda should really have someone else write his movies.
>>
>>140919070

>Flaccid
>Mishmash
>Obtuse
>Expounded

I appreciate your sentiment, but please use normal words. Thanks.
>>
File: RWBY.png (182KB, 352x455px) Image search: [Google]
RWBY.png
182KB, 352x455px
>>140919070
You are posting on /a/, use more common words, have us uneducated at mind. Movie was quite bad though.
>>
>>140919344

>educated

The truly educated wouldn't obfuscate their language for the sake of sounding ADVANCED.
>>
>>140920643

Or maybe you're an idiot if you think that's obfuscation?
>>
>>140920749

>Flaccid writing with a mishmash of cliches that featured obtuse exposition like expounding on obvious visual metaphors

>not obfuscation
>>
>>140920793

I personally like those words. Nothing I didn't learn before entering high school.
>>
>>140920906

>before entering high school

That's irrelevant to what I'm talking about.

Words have specific places where they are best used. For example, "obtuse" (usually meaning dense or difficult to understand) is used in the wrong context because he follows it with expound (explain in detail). He was obviously pulling words out of his to sound "elevated" without considering the true meaning/circumstance of the words themselves.
>>
>>140921190
>expound (explain in detail)

Except it can simply mean to present while obtuse can just mean stupid. Sorry, derailing a thread because you think someone's putting on airs for no reason is stupid and it's getting stupider. Guess it doesn't matter since it's dead.
>>
>>140921531

Words should be used because they best fit the situation. Not because you were special enough to know the meaning of them before your peers did. Any decent English professor would rip this kind of shit language apart.

Just a remainder you were the one who started with the ad hominem.
>idiot
>>
>>140921658
>ad hominem.

Take your own advice and learn the meaning of that word because I didn't do that. Didn't mean to get you mad, though. The "maybe" and question mark was purposeful.

>Any decent English professor would rip this kind of shit language apart.

Good thing I wasn't writing an essay and just made a rough summary of my thoughts on a movie on 4chan. You serious?
>>
>>140921888

So you were samefag. Figures.
>>
>>140917433
Saw in theatre. was good besides the end. lol at the MC throwing the girl on the ground like ten times. like really fucking tossing her down hard. thats what sticks out to me.

Also, did cry because I cant stand sad dad shit.
>>
>>140917433
I really wanted to like it, but I found myself getting more and more pissed off as it went on. There was just no way for me to relate to or become emotionally attached to any of the characters and that's probably because the way all of them interacted with each other was so damn off-putting.
Kumatetsu for starters, is just too loud and abrasive. That's fine if that's not all he is, but his quiet moments are too infrequent and it makes him come off as flat. There's clearly points where the movie hints that he started off weaker than he is now, but does the audience get a flashback? Does he open up to anyone and give anybody a reason to sympathize with him or cheer him on? Nope.
Kyuta was nearly as bad, but I'll let him slide a bit considering he was brought up by a bear who we never see giving him any affection whatsoever. It's actually what bothered me the most about the whole movie: Kumatetsu is the shittiest guardian ever.

Throughout the story, he does nothing but yell, berate, overwork, and flat-out treat Kyuta like shit. I know Kumatetsu's supposed to be tough, I know he says he won't stand crying, whatever. He can feel any way he wants but we as an audience never find out WHY he's like that. Kyuta never finds out about that. All Kyuta gets until he escapes into the human world is continuous bullshit. Even real bears aren't complete assholes to their cubs.

Having monkey and pig making color commentary about what the characters are feeling isn't the same or as impactful as actually seeing the characters grow on their own.
What's Kumatetsu's connection to the Beast Lord? Why does the guy keep giving that jerk so many free passes? Plot convenience.
Here we have this interesting-looking world of animals. What shall we focus on when we're not fighting? TAKING EXAMS! What, did you want to get a peek into how this society functions? Pff, hell no you didn't. You wanted exams and studying. (cont)
>>
>>140917537
Yeah, the match should have been the ending.
>>
>>140924924
(cont)
But what really pissed me off was the message the movie seemed to be putting out there. That the audience was meant to cheer on a really horrible surrogate parent-child relationship. Kumatetsu is a shit guardian, he and Kyuta have a terrible, emotionally stagnant back and forth with one another. Even when Kumatetsu is getting his ass rightfully handed to him, Kyuta just motivates him by yelling at him because that's his natural response to anything anymore. There's no affection behind that, their connection to one another is just impotent rage and it's neither funny nor endearing, it's just aggravating. Kyuta gets more positive reenforcement from fucking Chiko. Which I'm actually alright with, because Chiko was adorable and useful. We never found out what the hell he is except cute enough to sell keychains, but at least he helped out in the end.

The story could have been so much more interesting if it focused on Ichirohiko slowly discovering he's just a human. Watching Iozen poorly handle that situation, while still loving his adopted son for who he was has so much more emotional impact than screaming bear and disturbed brat.
Even Kaede's story would have been worth exploring more. She's constantly bullied, her parents are terrible, and she's working her ass off to escape. That at least would justify a movie about studying, because it gives the audience a look into how education can equal freedom or drive someone to take control of their lives.
Instead we get to watch the blandest characters yell at each other and then one of them decides to become a sword. Awesome. Couple all this with a shitty CGI crowd and congratulations: it's terrible! Hamfisting in Moby Dick didn't help either. Call me disappointed.
Final note: Did anyone else feel strong Spirited Away vibes when Kyuta entered the Beast World?
>>
>>140924924
>>140925474

You are on the money with these posts. Movie glosses over important information on these characters and expects we only care about action and romance. A flashback of kuma would have been great and an actual bond between father and son would solidify the story. Instead we get Kuma inside the mc smiling and shit at the end. Fucking stupid and so is this romance.
>>
>>140925749
Thanks, I got worried because I got so ranty. Primary character development was just awful. I'll care about the fighting if you make the characters worth caring about. I'll even care about the pointless romance if the characters are worth caring about. But if they aren't, then both those elements just feel like they've been tossed in without a care. I just hope Kyuta gets some fucking therapy.
Hosoda could be a great director if he didn't try forcing in elements into his story simply because they're what's in every other movie. There doesn't have to be a romance but if there is, make it memorable. There doesn't have to be action but if it's going to be there, have it leave a real impact and don't phone in the animation on crowds, but that's just my opinion.
CGI isn't my favorite thing in the world but sometimes it can allow for great effects. Thing is, all CGI should look like it's good for the time period it comes out of. Those crowds would have looked impressive twenty, maybe ten years ago.
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.