[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

For adaptation anime, do you prefer it to stick to the source

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 7

For adaptation anime, do you prefer it to stick to the source material word for word, panel by panel? Or do you think it's better that an anime takes some liberties in order to fit the narrative into the animated medium better (even if it means rearranging or cutting out material)?

Further more, what do you think when those liberties are taken a step further, in which we end up getting anime original content and characters? Pic definitely related but not meant to be the focus.
>>
Man biribiri is so cute.
>>
Whatever it takes so that the end product is equal to or better than the source.
>>
>>138854697
Fuck off, Nagai
>>
File: 1273620060418.jpg (124KB, 328x495px) Image search: [Google]
1273620060418.jpg
124KB, 328x495px
>>138854730
>>138854771
>>
>>138854697
Original arcs in an anime where there is enough episodes to adapt a canon arc, is unacceptable.
That's why I dropped Railgun S after the Sisters arc.
>>
File: jitsu suck.jpg (116KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
jitsu suck.jpg
116KB, 1280x720px
>>138854697
Jitsu wa watashi wa would have been a 1,000x better if it followed the manga closer; I'm still salty about this.
>>
>>138854697
The big difference between a good adaptation and a bad one is as simple as direction. The director can make or break an adaptation. There's a lot of freedom to stick to the source material while still adding to it. You add to it through things like pacing, score, cinematography, etc. Animation gives you tools LN authors or mangakas don't have access to. They can't make wide panning shots. They can't play with colors (for the most part). They can't make a beautiful and fitting score. They have a hard time adding dramatic tension or making a scene fast paced when it needs to be.

The director has their own set of tools to add to the adaptation. THAT'S where a good adaptation is made.
>>
File: Hataraku Maou.jpg (187KB, 448x313px) Image search: [Google]
Hataraku Maou.jpg
187KB, 448x313px
>>138856390
Fuck, why did you remind me.

On the other hand, Hataraku Maou didn't follow the LN exactly and I think it was better for it.
>>
File: lrQcdrz.jpg (339KB, 548x772px) Image search: [Google]
lrQcdrz.jpg
339KB, 548x772px
SEASON 3 WHEN?
>>
>>138857034
This is the perfect example of a director adding to an adaptation. This movie pretty much follows the novel line for line, but it uses its visual medium to add to each line. The introspection scenes are some of the best examples of internal conflict visualized, something the novel didn't have a chance to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnSTeSU5dXM
>>
>>138857195
Season 3 of what? Index or Railgun?

At this point I'd be fine with either. Both of those would cover some pretty good arcs from their respective series.
>>
Some liberties, but keeping the undertones.
>>
File: 1447310858005.jpg (1MB, 1100x1560px) Image search: [Google]
1447310858005.jpg
1MB, 1100x1560px
>>138857257
Either is fine but I want one more than the other..

Theater scene when?
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.