[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this the most pretentious and overrated anime of all time

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 7

File: SerialExperimentsLain.jpg (102KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
SerialExperimentsLain.jpg
102KB, 1920x1080px
Is this the most pretentious and overrated anime of all time or do I just have shit taste?
>>
the latter.
>>
>>134854884
why don't you blog more about it? that way we can have a discussion over why you think its pretentious or why you have shit taste.
>>
>>134854884
Evangelion is mosy pretentious anime.
>>
Let me explain you something newfriend.

When you make a bait you have to be sure to don't give something that can turn against you easily.
now everyone can reply "you have shit taste" with a sage and you're done
>>
Both
>>
File: Neon_Genesis_Evangelion.jpg (3MB, 2614x1639px) Image search: [Google]
Neon_Genesis_Evangelion.jpg
3MB, 2614x1639px
>>134854884
no, this is.
>>
>>134854884
Honestly, I agree with you. I enjoyed it, but I think it's incredibly overrated.
>>
File: lain smirk.jpg (23KB, 490x480px) Image search: [Google]
lain smirk.jpg
23KB, 490x480px
>>134854884
Sorry matey, but it's definitely the latter. But it's okay to be pleb so long as you post about shows you like, rather than shitpost about shows you don't.
>>
>>134854884
It increased my IQ by 5, pretty good but not as good as Tatami Galaxy wich increased my IQ by 8.
>>
File: 1390254793.gif (1MB, 500x356px) Image search: [Google]
1390254793.gif
1MB, 500x356px
But there is nothing pretentious about Lain.
As for it being overrated, it is purely subjective. Lain is an extremely unique show.
>>
I'm afraid you don't understand, and you seemed to be an honest man.
>>
>>134854884
Both
>>
>>134854968
It's the first anime that actually legit managed to make me somewhat angry/frustrated.

It goes for episodes&episodes setting its mystery up not explaining anything, but since nothing was explained I couldn't follow the story and actually enjoy it. It kept setting stuff up but not dropping any kind of hint that kept me interested in wanting to see the resolution.
I could almost feel the creators poking me saying "huh? do you wanna know what's going on? huh? huh? I bet you want to know. Ask me what it means. Ask me."
>>
>>134855005
>>134854972
>>134854884
End yourselves
>>
>>134855495
Did you watch the entire thing, or drop it?
Because everything is explained, mostly towards the end.
>>
File: 5345345453.jpg (173KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
5345345453.jpg
173KB, 1024x768px
Oh look, I found the most pretentious anime to date.

Also, Lain is great, you uncultured mongoloid.
>>
>>134855768
>mostly towards the end
The answers came but it was too late for me to give a shit after so many episodes of pure and utter confusion.
>>
File: 1356492089988.jpg (102KB, 680x680px) Image search: [Google]
1356492089988.jpg
102KB, 680x680px
>>134854884
>>134854972
>>134855005
>>
>>134855495
You summed up my discontent nicely. How the fuck was I supposed to care about the story when it's that cryptic and dull? Fuck this anime, Texhnolyze is the superior cyberpunk show.
>>
>>134855495
Take a film analysis class. You'll learn to understand and appreciate stuff like this much easier. Worked for me.

The problem is, you have expectations for the film, those expectations are let down, and then you never go any further beyond "I'm mad, this is shit". You never stop to consider, why am I mad? Was the creator trying to make me mad? Why were my expectations subverted?

By asking yourself those questions and looking at the work again, and you might find something you missed
>>
>>134855495
I love Lain. The art and atmosphere are top notch, but it's faux deep. Most people just think it's deep because its story is intentionally jumbled and fragmented, so I can see why you find it pretentious. Still a fantastic anime.
>>
>>134856215
That just sounds like a token condescending answer.

I don't usually go into movies/series with any kind of prior expectations, but when a mystery is presented to me I think it's only rational to want to know about what's going on, even if you know the answer will only come at the end. Yet Lain doesn't care about you staying involved in the mystery, it just keeps throwing stuff at you that you can't understand with the promise that you will, meanwhile you're just there watching not understanding anything, because you're not supposed to yet.
And it's not like the answer was worth all that build-up anyways.
>>
File: Lain walks in.gif (498KB, 500x357px) Image search: [Google]
Lain walks in.gif
498KB, 500x357px
>>134856312
Yeah. The messages were really interesting, but the atmosphere is what sells it.

This track says everything.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-cwuTmqz8c
>>
>>134856564
>I don't usually go into movies/series with any kind of prior expectations,

But that's just flat out wrong. You have expectations unless someone just slapped it on without telling you what it is or anything about it. On top that, you have expectations going from episode to episode.

I mean you're entitled to your opinion, but I enjoyed what they were doing and the way they visualized the internet when it was still in its infancy is ridiculous. Things like the knights can be compared to shit like anonymous or any other anarchist group on the net. That's interesting to me.
>>
>>134855005

Exacta. Great taste anon.
>>
>>134856751
>You have expectations unless someone just slapped it on without telling you what it is or anything about it.
Yeah that was pretty much my approach going into this. "Ever seen Serial Experiments Lain?" "No is it good" "yeah" "ok I'm downloading it"

>On top that, you have expectations going from episode to episode.
Something like, "what the fuck is going on can somebody tell me, please" perhaps? Because that's definitely how I felt the whole way through.

In retrospect it did have some creative ideas, but while they were being shown to me I had no idea what they were even meant to represent or be.
>>
>>134856564
I thought the stuff it throws at you, all the little threads connected really well.

Little, new themes that are constantly introduced mesh into each other. For instance the "religion/deities" theme set up the Knights. Which is later connected by the "conspiracy" theme, which grew from the "rumors" theme when Lain was dealing with Alice and her "other self" spreading rumors. Eventually the thread that started with religion, leading you through all these different themes, set up the final villain which is the false god.
>>
The most pretentious anime are ones no one remembers or don't really consider since they're not particularly subversive. Something like Yahari is more pretentious than Lain could ever be. Then you have stuff like Yuri Kuma.

>>134856913

You might just be dumb.
>>
It's pretty straightforward, but it's idiosyncratic, so I can understand why you think it's pretentious.

Guys, if you recommend Lain to other persons, say something like, 'Try it. If you like it's atmosphere and/or it's weirdness, this anime is for you'. Don't recommend it like, 'DEEP ART BEST ANIME EVER', etc.
>>
>>134857003
>not remembering pretentious anime(s) for the sake of it alone
Le Le Potrait de Petit Cossette Anime which is entertaining just for the sake of it's cinematography alone
>>
>>134856215
>Was the creator trying to make me mad? Why were my expectations subverted?
Pretentious nonsense.
>>
>>134854884
You just have shit taste. Sorry to break it to you.
>>
>>134856564
>token condescending answer
You disqualified yourself from taking part in any kind of intellectual discussion the second you resorted to asenine ad hominem in response to a pretty helpful comment.
>>
>>134854884
>things that go over my head is pretentious
I only hope you're not a midget.
>>
>>134858296
>"Take a film class, that way you'll finally understand to appreciate what is TRULY art."
> Not condescending.
>>
Texhnolyze is better, fuck watching this nonsense. It isn't even as good as Ergo Proxy.

Inb4 all the Lainfags come storming up talking about how great this snorefest was.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.