[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | | Home]

Viz Media Comments on Digital Piracy After Manga Uploader Arrests

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 517
Thread images: 40

>On Friday, November 13th, four men in Japan were arrested by the Kyoto Prefectural Police on suspicion of illegally taking, digitizing and distributing manga content originally published in the Japanese edition of Weekly Shonen Jump. Weekly Shonen Jump is the world's most-read weekly manga anthology and is published in Japan by Viz Media's parent company, Shueisha, Inc.
>It is alleged that this content was illegally distributed internationally through the online scanlation site MangaPanda. The site is also alleged to be the supplier to additional perpetrators possibly involved in the cross-border violation of intellectual property rights and copyright law.
>Digital piracy is a crime that steals what others have worked so hard to create. Viz Media actively supports manga creators and manga fan culture, and is committed to making the highest possible quality content available to a global audience through licensed channels.

Did mangapanda go to far?
>>
>>133728685
Yeah but, have you SEEN a Viz Media release? I wouldn't even pirate their shit.
>>
literally no source
>>
>>133728883
There's much, much worse out there.
Just be glad Tokyopop isn't still around.
>>
File: kek.jpg (44KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
kek.jpg
44KB, 1280x720px
>>133728685
>is committed to making the highest possible quality content available to a global audience through licensed channels.
>>
>>133728939
www.animenewsnetwork.com/daily-briefs/2015-11-19/viz-media-comments-on-digital-piracy-after-manga-uploader-arrests/.95562
>>
Did Viz even read the news? They weren't caught because they were scanlating, they were caught because they were releasing chapters OVER A WEEK before they hit the shelves in JAPAN. Not only that but they were making $$$ with it.
>>
>>133729004
TokyoPop sadly is still around. They got back some of their properties a couple of years ago.
>>
>>133730332
Just import the original manga or related merchandise.
>>
>>133730332
I can't speak for others but that's basically how I've been treating digital manga. For the works I really like, I'd buy the physical books, but for the manga where I like but not enough to justify importing, I'd just buy the digital releases.
>>
File: 1447630589295.jpg (350KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1447630589295.jpg
350KB, 1280x720px
>>133730332
I've wrote and frequently updating a program which has been downloaded over 300k times so far from my website alone.
I also have a donate button in the program itself and in my site.

The donations so far, has been 17$ in total.
It just does not work.
The only reason I'm still doing it only for a line in CV.
>>
>>133728685
>Viz Media Comments
But they didn't? What they have done here is just retelling the facts we already know and saying that they're doing their job.
>>
>>133730690
>program
That is not a fair comparison at all. People aren't as invested in programs as they are in works of entertainment. Saying it just does not work is not accurate. It does work TO A CERTAIN EXTENT, when you compare with other works of entertainment like music etc. The key thing of course isn't to go full donation, but a mix of donation and traditional sales.
>>
If there were a netflix or google books type of thing for manga or anime, I'd gladly pay it.
But producers actually want me to wait months for a work to be published in tankobon format and then maybe shipped here, it's just too much wait.
>>
>>133731064
>If there were a netflix or google books type of thing for manga or anime, I'd gladly pay it.
There is. Are you retarded?
>>
ITT: thieves trying to justify their sins

Just accept you are stealing, is not that hard.
>>
>>133731095
what is it called, so I can subscribe?
And why it doesn't have any publicity?
>>
>>133731200
The most popular one is Crunchyroll, and I sure hope you don't subscribe because that would be stupid.
>>
>>133731337

Just a while ago they were hacked and all their customer data stolen.
>>
>>133730966
>How many more donations do you think you would have gotten if you really pushed the issue, you know? Like, really push it at people.

Constantly asking for donations only makes me less inclined to donate
>>
File: 1429129186052.jpg (36KB, 318x318px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1429129186052.jpg
36KB, 318x318px
>>133728685
>Viz Media actively supports manga creators and manga fan culture, and is committed to making the highest possible quality content available to a global audience through licensed channels.
>Viz Media
>highest quality content
>>
>>133731884
If you're that program guy, yes, I'm never donating to you.
>>
>>133731200
>And why it doesn't have any publicity?
Crunchyroll literally subs half the shows every season with funimation taking the rest. Funimation even puts their shit at the beginning of the video.
>>
You guys can easily buy something from amazon japan, you can even buy sets of manga, I'm a neet and with the few bucks I get in a month, I have bought manga from Japan without much effort
Of course I only buy stuff I really like
>>
>>133732115
Yeah ut it doesn't say anywhere they are official translators or that they support the creators
>>
File: Anon please.png (127KB, 365x365px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
Anon please.png
127KB, 365x365px
>>133732164
Holy shit.
>>
>>133732164
You can't possibly be this retarded, can you?
>>
>>133730690
>I've wrote
Well, let's just hope you aren't trying to sell your English skills too.
>>
>>133732137
I'm a neet with literally 0 income, I'm not going to buy manga from japan considering the shipping cost. If a series that I really like is available at my local bookstore then I might buy it there when I'll get a few bucks.
>>
>>133728685
Glad to live in a country were anime isn't even licensed.

I suppose in Japan you really have to OPSEC.
>>
File: 1436234683911.jpg (40KB, 261x260px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1436234683911.jpg
40KB, 261x260px
>>133732164
>>
>>133729004
Fuck TokyoPop.

They are notorious for picking up licenses and never finishing them.
>>
>>133732593
Blame people not buying the volumes for that.

Friendly reminder that manga companies have to license each series by the volume and if it doesn't sell, they have every right to curb stomp the shit out of it.
>>
>>133732675
>Friendly reminder that manga companies have to license each series by the volume
Wong.
>>
>>133732675
Then they shouldn't complain if people pirate it.
>>
Meaning if they don't license it, we shouldn't care and they shouldn't care it seems? Well, carrying on then. I don't read JUMP shit anymore.
>>
File: piracy.png (59KB, 600x341px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
piracy.png
59KB, 600x341px
>>
>>133732675
Yeah luckily somebody did a fan TL, some academia guy who actually cared about the series.

Unless something is mainstream like Attack of Titan you're SOL.
>>
If you are mexican, you have absolutely no pretext for not buying manga. It's cheap and fucking everywhere.
>>
>>133732516
It's cheaper to import even with shipping in my experience.
>>
>>133732915
what are you talking about?
>>
>>133732973
More if you live in a place where your SAL packages dont get lost or stolen
>>
Does manga work the same way as anime as in if I import, it's more money towards the creators?
>>
>>133732137
If you speak moon, yes.
>>
>>133733024
>get lost or stolen
Which countries are like that?
>>
>>133731135
Not really, I pay for all the manga I read. I'm glad the raw providers were caught because it pissed me off being spoiled every fucking week. Filthy chinks, why can't they wait a fucking week to release their shitty scanlations.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Qkyt1wXNlI
>>
I TOLD YOU ABOUT TPP BRO
I TOLD YOU
>>
>>133733218
>Not really, I pay for all the manga I read
Stop doing that and give me all your excess money instead, you wasteful richfag.
>>
>>133733161
Third world countries.
>>
Fucking gooks, why can't they start their own "Netflix" of anime. They're always selling their shit at piss poor prices, even small 3rd world tv channels can pay licenses for their shows, CEO of SHITnimation and Crunshitroll must laugh their asses off every night before going to sleep.
>>
>>133732593
That isn't even the worst of their bullshit.
>>
>>133733308
>4$ per magazine is a price only a millionaire can pay for
How about you stop wasting your money on burgers?
>>
>>133732675
Friendly reminder:
Back then we actually stopped translating licensed properties and did not scan English volume releases. Licensors had the full support of the community and licensed more works than they could support, that is why they cancelled anything not living up to their sales expectations.
>>
>>133732675
>Friendly reminder that manga companies have to license each series by the volume
Only light novels are licenced this way
>>
>>133733035
>it's more money towards the creators?
You mean the publishers that pay the authors?
>>
>>133728685
>Viz Media actively supports manga creators and manga fan culture, and is committed to making the highest possible quality content available to a global audience
>highest possible quality
Good joke, Viz.
>>
>>133733481
If you read any substantial amount of manga, then yes, it becomes a lot.
>>
File: 1446526904903.png (22KB, 640x640px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1446526904903.png
22KB, 640x640px
>>133731486
>Just a while ago they were hacked and all their customer data stolen.
But that's wrong, no data was stolen. It was just some idiot that was able to fuck up the homepage and the layout. That's barely hacking.
>>
T-thanks, Obama.
>>
>>133728685
Well they are committing crimes so going to jail is the logical outcome. Or suicide if they want to copy Aaron Swartz.

I've know scanlation will not survive the next decade (just like fansubbing died), this is something anyone with half a brain has accustomed himself with for a long time.

Enjoy the show while it lasts.
Anyway, I'm proofreading Ballroom e Youkoso 28, and will start dumping soon.
>>
>>133733695
That's why you buy magazines and only get volumes of what you really like. It's not even that expensive when compared to any other form of media, you're just not used to pay for it all of your life so any dollar for what's free sounds like an extravagance for you. You're only used to consume, more, more and more. For free! I bet you barely remember the names of the characters of half the shit you read.
>>
>>133728685
Didn't Viz stopped translating the Gintama manga because no one gives a shit about it.
>>
>>133729244
Why the fuck can't they just wait until the store release day if there's this much risk in uploading shit earlier than that?
>>
>>133733864
Lurk more, newfag.

Only shonenshit and the occasional grimdark seinenshit will be affected.

Ecchishit will never be affected.
>>
>>133733864
>I've know scanlation will not survive the next decade (just like fansubbing died)
Except there's a shit ton more manga out there than anime. Crunchyshit can take all the cartoons they want but not all all the manga. That's where scanlation comes in to pick up the rest of it, and even then there are a ton of series not translated.
>>
>>133733869
I'm just going to ignore the rant about consumption, but buying magazines can be more expensive than buying volumes depending on the distribution of your series. I mean, I read one or two manga from plenty of magazines, so I'd effectively be paying for ten to twenty chapters when I only want a fraction of those.
>>
>>133733924
Some say it's the money involved in being the first ones to release because of ads but that only applies for the English sites. Personally I think it's dibs e-peen stupidity. If you think English scanlation scene is retarded you obviously don't know the Chinese one. They are literally paying magazine delivery middlemen to be the first ones to scanlate.
>>
>>133733925
>>133733996

Well the thing is, TPP basically makes copyrights global. So even though a manga is not copyrighted in USA or the EU you can still get a C&D, heck even by a third party the copyright owner might not even know you exist.

So scanlation WILL quite certainly die - most big sites which fuel it survive by ad revenue and are quite public. The moment people have to start going on irc and shit to get their manga it's fucking over, it's not the 90s anymore. Sure maybe some will do it for a time but in the end with waining popularity the people doing it will disappear one after the other as well.
>>
>paying
Nah
>>
>>133733869
Not only do magazines cost more than tanks, but you'd be buying chapters you're not interested in.

Definitely do buy when there are color pages and one shots that may not be republished or take years before collected.
>>
>>133734152
This whole thing had nothing to do with TPP, it was just a bunch of chinks being stupid and getting arrested (and killing a few scanlation groups while at it).
>>
>>133734152
I wish I could make bets that this wouldn't happen. Do any of those bet-on-random-shit sites have a way we could start wagering on this? People said the exact same things as you're saying now at various points in the last ten years. Fuck, I remember the whole "we might have to go to IRC, but won't that kill manga?" argument coming up during the Onemanga debacle. It won't happen.
>>
>>133734220
Actually it has everything to do with TPP.
Japan has been implementing more stern observance of copyright laws in accordance with TPP.
>>
>>133734259
You think they wouldn't have arrested a delivery man selling early copies of the magazine without TPP on the horizon? Of course they would.
>>
>>133734045
When you said you read tons of manga I thought you did read tons of manga which would mean more than one chapter per magazine. If you only read some manga then there's higher chance it's licensed. Get a Viz subscription, it's like $3 per month or something and you get to read lots of different popular titles in English just one week after Japan, sometimes less.

>>133734191
Magazines cost less than a tank and have dozens of chapters. It's the best if you like to read just about anything.
>>
>>133734245
>It won't happen.
It has happened already in a way.
Manga Trader dying was the begging of the end for scanlation. Eventually every country capable of holding a viable server will have the same copyright laws the States have had for the last 5-6 years.

>>133734281
They only "caught" them now even though they've been doing it, quite openly mind you, for years. Why?
>>
>>133734288
>which would mean more than one chapter per magazine
No, not really. For starters, a lot of stuff is already finished and magazine subscriptions won't get you it, and of the ongoing stuff I do read, it's distributed across a lot of magazines. You do realize Kodansha alone has a hundred magazines, right?

>thinking everything I read is licensed from Viz
Are you shitting me?
>>
If this is happening in mass then more the reason to download all of madokami. It's only 3.6TB.
>>
>>133734402
>Are you shitting me?
No, you just sound like that kind of guy.
>>
>>133734346
>Manga Trader dying was the begging of the end for scanlation
Yes, just like OM dying was, right? Give me a break.
>>
>>133734427
Oh, it's back up.
>>
>>133734346
>Manga Trader dying
They are up
>>
>>133734437
Let me ask you a question.
If they close mangafox and bato.to tomorrow, where would the typical pleb go for his manga?

When 3 years ago there were a hundred big manga readers. Now there's what three? Four at most?

This shit can happen in a single day. Just be prepared.

>>133734486
You're too new to know what I'm talking about.
>>
>>133734486
Sure they are, retard.
>>
>>133728685

>viz media
>high quality content

If you mean shitty translations and censorship, yeah sure
>>
>>133734486
I wish to live in a world without stupidity.
>>
>>133733752

Oh wow, CR damage control is still running.
>>
>>133730690
I'd say this is because people are not used to systems like patreon or flattr yet. The default behaviour of people is to take things that are given for free and not give it another thought. But honor systems for selling things without supervision work all over the world. When people are used to some practice and consider it normal they take what they want and pay accordingly without giving it another thought. We can only hope that global culture moves toward the practice of providing digital products as services without payment per item but instead paying for the service after you've used it.
>>
>>133734504
I don't care about the typical pleb, but where everyone who knows what they're doing would go, assuming all of Mangafox's sister sites and madokami were also down and that no backup or replacement appeared immediately, would be the scanlators' sites.
>>
>>133734625
Madokami is used by a couple hundred people don't even think it plays any role in anything.

As for scanlator's websites - they are blogs and they put their files on file sharing services all of that can be taken down in 3 minutes.
>>
>>133734462
I know but they went down and it scared everyone. They are wanting people to have backups of the entire site so if they go down with the TPP we still have everything. A 4TB HDD is like $180 fot a good one.
>>
>>133734428
I'm following probably somewhere between one and two hundred series ongoing in Japan, but that's not nearly enough to justify buying most of the magazines those are in. For example, I'd be buying Champion Red for Seikon no Qwaser, Deadtube, and Chikyuu no Houkago. That's three chapters, I'm not going to pay for five times that.
>>
>>133734427
There are people working on it, many copies. The real problem is how to maintain distribution indefinitely and with redundancy.
>>
>>133734710
I know people who put their scanlator blogs on Tumblr. Suffice to say it's a three strikes policy with regards to being DMCA'd to death.

The safest harbour is always to release scanlations anonymously on here.
>>
>>133734710
>any role in anything
It plays a role in me getting my manga.

> all of that can be taken down in 3 minutes
Yes, and this has been the case for ages, with nothing happening. And if they do take down Magnavox & co, Batoto, Kiss, Madokami, and scanlators' sites, there are multiple people with personal backups and siterips. There's also nay and stuff, not like most of their torrents for manga are live, but you get my point. There are many points of access for this, and more are easily fabricated, and it's not going to die.
>>
>>133734832
Ok whatever you say.
Just like fansubs couldn't die.
The reality is once something is hard to get for the 99%ers it's done.
>>
>>133734906
>fansubs couldn't die
They died because there's a free alternative for basically all of them, and had nothing to do with accessibility or DMCAs or anything you're talking about with manga. It's completely irrelevant.
>>
>>133734800
Well when people have the backups then the data is secured. That is all that matters. There can always be another site but the data is irreplaceable. When it goes down we can have a thread and solve it hopefully. You can have a bot that auto downloads everything put on the site to the archive that you already have.
>>
>>133733470
Holy fucking hell, what's that dialogue supposed to say?
>>
>>133734953
>All that matters
Look at what you saying. Like really, read it. Mangatraders went down with less than 2TB of data. The FTP in its short history got to almost double that. Dropping off one single point of failure for another is not a real solution. Even in the short span Mangatraders was dead, there was probably a bunch of lost releases and still are. the goal of Madokami first and foremost was not to stick out to gather public releases. It was to form a stopgap solution and until there is a real solution, we're going to spend the rest of our lives in panic-mode or sloth-mode.
>>
>>133735142
>almost double that
You need to consider crazy amount of duplicates, though. Fucking bots.
>>
>>133735142
Or, you know, we'll spend the rest of our lives dealing with occasional takedowns and loss of some data, like we have been for quite a while now, and we'll still have most of our stuff, and we'll just learn to live with it and not freak out about it.
>>
>>133735242
There's also volume repacks vs the original chapters in both forms for some series as well.
>>
>>133735254
>learn to live with it
Or just set up a proper private tracker for this shit jesus.
>>
>>133728685
>committed to making the highest possible quality content available to a global audience through licensed channels

Not committed enough, since my country isn't on the list.
>>
>>133733481
Digital wsj is only a dollar....
>>
I hope they only care about huge distributors and don't start knocking on my door for uploading a few of their series.
>>
>>133735526
If you're not in Japan stealing physical One Piece chapters before they release, you're probably fine.
>>
Put it all on an XDCC bot and it will be around forever.

#lurk was great and the only reason it ever went away is because people didn't donate to cover bandwidth expenses. I only started using mangatraders after #lurk went down because it was an inferior service filled with watermarked shitrips from online reader.
>>
>>133735598
That's what I figured.

I'm not making any money, anyways.
>>
>ITT: Retards who think dumb US laws would actually hold in real free world.

At the worst case people would just outsource to Turkish Republic of Cyprus or some other weird country with first world standards but no international accountability.
>>
>>133733470
Is that supposed to be Battle Royale?

If so Jesus Christ.
>>
>Don't release your work in english/be really behind
>Get mad at people releasing it themselves

I'll never understand this
>>
>>133735309
>>133735242
And raws too.
>>
>>133736449
More like

>PAY US IF YOU WANT ENGLISH/TO TRANSLATE IN ENGLISH
>>
>>133736543
There's nothing wrong with raws, though.
>>
>>133736654
No, but a scanlated manga would usually be harder to replace. Usually.
>>
File: 1426892305134.png (508KB, 648x598px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1426892305134.png
508KB, 648x598px
>>133732137
>buying something you can't even read
>>
File: 1325055533775.png (390KB, 729x500px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1325055533775.png
390KB, 729x500px
>Paying for comic books
>>
>>133734504
Most likely answer? Tumblr and social media. Literally all the scan groups for licensed stuff and doujinshi I follow have a tumblr, it's gone and replaced livejournal

God help us all.
>>
>>133737555
>replaced livejournal
It still hasn't kicked the bucket in that regard, mind you.
>>
>>133737555
Tumblr's quite risky with the DMCAs though. You only need three for the blogs to die but thankfully there's plenty of rippers.
>>
>>133731135

You're wrong and have extremely undeveloped understandings of art and data sharing.

I don't have the patience to explain why a pattern of data on my HDD does not constitute stolen goods.

Entertainment is not food or shelter. People shouldn't expect to make a living from producing entertainment.

Calling data-copying a "sin" just robs the word sin of all meaning.

I hate you and what you stand for. You're trying to take the moral highground over puerile excesses of modern culture.
>>
>>133738515
So then, do you think entertainment has value? Or would you be fine if every form of entertainment dried up tomorrow?
>>
>>133738675
His point is that entertainment has become an industry and those in the industry expect people (wrongfully so) to invest heavily in it, as opposed to something done for fun/the sake of it.
>>
>>133738728
I agree that entertainment should be more easily accessible, but he argues that creators shouldn't expect to make money for their work. By that logic, he should also be fine with there being no entertainment then, because a great deal of work goes into creating it.
>>
>>133738805
No, he said that people shouldn't expect to make a living from entertainment, not that they shouldn't get paid.
>>
>>133738805
>but he argues that creators shouldn't expect to make money for their work
that's not what he said at all.
>>
>using anything but madokami and batoto
Fucking newfriends
>>
>>133738872
>No, he said that people shouldn't expect to make a living from entertainment
What's the difference? If I can make any money for doing something, then I should be able to make a living at it by doing enough of it or by doing it in high enough quality.
>>
>>133738904
>People shouldn't expect to make a living from producing entertainment.
That's literally exactly what he says.
>>
>>133738983
The difference is that one attitude creates, for better or worse, an entire industry devoted to selling a particular product, entertainment. I'm glad that we have such an industry but I think they have a bit too much power now, especially with TPP looming.
>>
>>133739064
The problem isn't people trying to make a living, it's massive corporate executives who want to raise their paychecks from ridiculous to completely ludicrous. Even people fairly high up in the creative processors like directors usually don't give a flying fuck about their bottom line or protecting their IP.
>>
>>133728685
get a fucking job and buy your fucking manga, you useless cunts...
>>
>>133739240
>...
>>
>Manga piracy is dying
>Milokon might stop producing scans
>LWB is offline
>Fakku shills everywhere since yesterday to capitalize on the chaos
>School backpacks now have to be censored because Olympics

Truly the end of the world
>>
>>133739597
Wait what happened yeaterday?
>>
I didn't notice anything. maybe daiz's bans for being a paid fakku shill expired temporarily
>>
>>133728685
>Digital piracy is a crime that steals
>steals
There they go again
>>
Has DomDom bypassed Batoto yet?
>>
>>133728685
Serious question time:
If the current world of fansubs and fanscans didn't exist and the only wsy you could get your daily/weekly/monthly dose of manga x, y or z was by buying it on through a legal channel, would you do it? Lets say for the dake of the argument that 100% of any given author/publishers catalog is available (both new and old).
And would the resulting selles be enough to make manga a profitable business in the USA? Would it be big enough to rival mainstream comics like Marvel and DC?
>>
>>133733924
Because traffic to site = ads revenue = money.
>>
>>133739984

I'd buy but I'm mostly very picky about what I actually buy.
>>
>>133739984
I'd drop by a bookstore/convenience store/library, read what I'm interested in and leave without buying.
>>
>>133740076
You don't buy things at a library, anon. That's the whole point.
>>
>>133731337
But now I can't read muh nisekoi a year before we see it in America
>>
>>133739984
Through the legal channels currently available? I'd buy some, but very little. I'd probably get less frugal as time went on, but I sure as hell wouldn't be buying stuff like Nisekoi or Subete ga F.
>>
I dont read Viz releases because scanlations are either faster or the shit I read isn't popular enough for Viz to care about

Honest question what is bad about them. If there is something they have done that I cant find scans for I would pirate their scans no problem
>>
>>133740572
By legal channels I also mean stuff like amazone, only streaming and reading apps. Not only on store purchase.
>>
>>133728685
With news like this, i might as well move to gensokyo.
>>
>>133739984
>would the resulting selles be enough to make manga a profitable business in the USA?
No.
>Would it be big enough to rival mainstream comics like Marvel and DC?
Yes. That stuff has one foot in the grave already.
>>
>>133740645
Then I have no idea because I can't tell what prices would be like. I was imagining CR/Funi/whatever simulsubbing everything new at their normal subscription rates and all manga and older anime being available in English in the same format and price as the Jap versions.
>>
File: 1443753317390.jpg (150KB, 1252x1252px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1443753317390.jpg
150KB, 1252x1252px
Why did Redhawk have to die?

I've been using their website for years ;_;
>>
>>133732973
That reminds me, the other day Matt Thorn posted on his Twitter that scanlators are responsible for the poor sales of the Hourou Musuko manga in English. The U.S. release is hardcover and costs over $20 a book, and not to mention the series has a fairly niche point of interest. I think he's a very good translator but he needs to realize that most manga readers don't want to shell out $200-300 for a twelve-volume manga series.
>>
>>133741099
So he's bitching about scanlation that started five years prior their publication and ended almost two and half years ago, while they still haven't finished it. What a retard.
>>
>>133741099
They have no one to blame but themselves. They should have thought it through before they tried to pick up a manga that had had up-to-date fan translations for years.
>>
Have people forgotten IRC distribution? You kids these days.
>>
Why so serious all of a sudden? This is just like any topic on /a/, the more we make anime popular the bigger this problem is gonna get, the more people who like anime the greater the number of people who'll fileshare it. Though the percentage of people who buy only, fileshare only, and all inbetween won't change, getting more sales because the buy only grew larger, then seeing all that "lost sales" because the fileshare only grew bigger alongside will drive them mad. So like with any topic on /a/ it is our job to be on the forefront on setting the memes, bait, troll, and flame wars.
>>
>>133741671
It's not even that hard either. Seriously.
>>
>>133741099
These guys need to figure out that their biggest competition is not scanlators. Their biggest competitors are TV, video games, books, movies, etc. And as long as they're charging $45 for a fucking bluray they will continue to be ignored by everyone.
>>
>>133738488
How often do Tumblr blogs get DMCA'd? Is it common for artbook blogs to get targeted?
>>
>>133729244
/thread
>>
>>133739597
>School backpacks now have to be censored because Olympics
What?
>>
>>133745761
There will be nig nogs and mudslimes coming to japan for the olympics. They are taking precautions.
>>
>>133745761
http://exhentai.org/s/07c26d077e/874522-4
>>
>>133739597

We need a hero
>>
>they'll never arrest the mangastream raw providers
>>
>>133734970
>>133736402
TP were counting on Battle Royale to be a big hit with normalfags so they contracted a comic book writer to fuck up the translation completely to make it edgier.
The actual Battle Royale manga is 90% word-for-word from the book.
And of course it wasn't a smash hit. I will never not be butthurt about this. TP got the same comic book guy to fuck up Ikkitousen too.
>>
>>133746077
And people are still trying to obtain their shit via auctions and such because muh official English localization. Laughable.
>>
>>133745982
>tfw mangastream going down might lead to the rise of more scanlation groups
>>
>>133741671
I have yet to find a manga bot.
>>
>>133747011
gotlurk
>>
>>133728685
>>133729244
>cross-border violation
Cross-boarders getting what they deserve
>>
>>133745833
This is a joke right
>>
See, I'd buy Jump for Hero Academia and Soma (and the monthlies) but fuck paying anything for the 'privilege' of having my download be stuffed full of shit I do not want to read like Nisekoi and Bleach.

Of all people CR have this right, I pay my dues, I get the four series I want, I never need to consider something I don't care for like Girl May Kill and I'm genuinely happy to leave at that.
>>
Unless we get a steam for animu and manga which has no region restricions cr an funishit and viz can go fuck themselves


I prefer importing manga from japan anyway
>>
File: 1427402891841.jpg (73KB, 362x298px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1427402891841.jpg
73KB, 362x298px
Why don't mangakas make a Patreon?
>>
>>133740936
All good things come to an end anon. Everything will come to an end at some point. Otherwise, how can we move on?

I wonder if China will pay for their bail.
>>
>>133747927
They will.
>>
>>133738933
>can't download from batoto anymore
fuck this shitty site
also, don't you see how this affects future releases?
Welp, now I can work on my backlog
>>
>>133749662
WSJ scans being two days later doesn't really change much.
>>
>>133749751
mikocon and lwb got arrested, so no more h-mangas and doujins from main magazines
It won't be long before WSJ shuts shop
Face the truth, /a/non
Scanlation will be dead post 2016
>>
>>133742535
I got DMCA'd for linking to an uploaded amtlib DLL for a friend on tumblr and last time I got DMCA'd for uploading fucking public domain books. Another time I uploaded a bunch of books (about 12 fiction) and got DMCA'd again. I baka because someone else escaped being DMCA'd even though they uploaded about 800 books to a dropbox account but I got caught over just 12.

Funnily they haven't killed me over scanlating yet, but as long as you make sure that you're bypassing the crawlers (aka enable robots.txt and keep keywords in images rather than in text) you should be fine(ish). Also there are ways of making the entire blog look blank but only viewable to followers or people who have changed their useragent to mobile. It's a clever way of fucking up the copyright bots.

On the other hand, anyone who pastes links on 4chan should consider the fact that all the fucking links end up in the archives which is crawled so spoiler tagging the shit or using ᴜɴɪᴄᴏᴅᴇ (note that fullwidth is still crawled) might make it less likely that some bot will find it. (especially on the /mu/ sharethreads)
>>
>>133749895
>It won't be long before WSJ shuts shop
I assume you mean WSJ rips, not that WSJ is going to stop running, but I still don't believe it. There are too many people willing to upload and too many people willing to read. And for most of the scanlation scene, there are simply too many projects from too many sources to kill all of them.

>>133749925
>using tumblr
>unironically trying to use "baka" in a sentence
Please leave. Really.
>>
>>133734624
>We can only hope that global culture moves toward the practice of providing digital products as services without payment per item but instead paying for the service after you've used it.
>Vidya as a service
>Manga as a service
Nah fuck that
>>
>>133749976
This. Everyone the last few days keeps bringing up the idea of bringing Steam or Kickstarter or Patreon to bear on anime, but I don't want that. I like the model where the industry makes what it likes and the amateur community organizes itself the way it likes and interference is rare, and I wish we could stop shifting away from that.
>>
>>133749895
WHAT HAPPENED TO LWB?
>>
>>133749950
>he doesn't know that there are two Viz anons (one screenshotting, one ripping) and one person on tumblr person (screenshotting) uploading Viz rips
I bet you also don't know that Tumblr is the second best place to pirate shit television, movies and anime without resorting to sekrit clubs and shitty unseeded public trackers (when the private trackers aren't shitting themselves to death.)

>baka
Just sm͏h fa͏m
>>
>>133750104
got arrested for lolicon, I think
>>
>>133750108
> shit television, movies
I don't care.

> anime without resorting to sekrit clubs and shitty unseeded public trackers (when the private trackers aren't shitting themselves to death.)
I don't get what you're saying. It's the best place to get anime without "resorting to" the places where I get all my anime already without any hassle?
>>
File: karensicp.jpg (58KB, 456x578px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
karensicp.jpg
58KB, 456x578px
>>133749662
>>can't download from batoto anymore
>>
>>133750132
What, after 20 years of translating lolicon?
>>
File: 015 - Piracy.jpg (34KB, 400x267px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
015 - Piracy.jpg
34KB, 400x267px
>>133728685
>Digital piracy is a crime that steals what others have worked so hard to create.
Triggered
>>
File: 1439564527181.jpg (88KB, 636x616px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1439564527181.jpg
88KB, 636x616px
>>133732066
>>133733536
>>133734524
>>>/g/
>>
>>133750158
I know about those python scripts that can be used to download from there
But the bastards changed their site settings or something and now everything downloads at a snail's pace
Fuckers should've given an option for downloading if they were going all account mandatory
>>
File: 1419166795136.png (326KB, 561x590px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1419166795136.png
326KB, 561x590px
>>133750238
>implying
>>
>>133750238
What does /g/ have to do with Viz's bad translations?
>>
>>133734152
>The moment people have to start going on irc and shit to get their manga
I would totally go for an XDCC bot for manga. I should use it more for anime, but since I moved to the middle of nowhere it's more convenient to use torrents that I can pause and resume later in the day.
>>
>>133750143
I collect sources of stuff as a hobby. Tumblr is just another notch in the easily accessible belt. The bigger dream is one of those FTP servers or whatever that cleaners and manga scanlation groups get their scans before 7 days which it would probably be inaccurate to call a topsite.

>>133750259
Jdownloader dl'd at full pace and at full resolution the last time I checked. There's also an active support.

>>133750353
Not him but /g/ hates Viz. That much is understood.
>>
>>133750379
*support forum where you can whinge to one of the developers about x file host shitting itself
>>
>>133750379
>/g/ hates Viz
But so does everyone else.
>>
>>133750089
Well, I like the current arrangement. But I'd like the animators to be able to earn more. That's the only real change I want to see.
>>
>>133750379
>implying only /g/ hates Viz
Everyone hates them, you dolt.
>>
>>133750400
>>133750412
Anon's probably mistaking them for one guy who hates them in particular.
>>
>>133750089
>kikestarter, steam or paetron for anime
Eat shit
>>
>>133750409
Underpaying your animators and working on shoestrings is pretty much the soul of anime, just like sleeping all day and pulling all-nighters to rush out your next chapter before the deadline is the soul of manga.
>>
>>133745833
lol what the fuck. What's the story behind that?
>>
>>133750473
Can you not read? I'm saying those are bad ideas.
>>
>>133747095
But /a/ told me that wasn't safe.
>>
>>133750499
>replying to someone who's obviously mentally handicapped
Good job and nice dubs.
>>
>>133728685
Some anon posted this a couple days ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Qkyt1wXNlI

One of the main reasons manga and anime has taken off is because of piracy. It's fucking stupid to condemn this since the only reason companies are translating is because there is demand that was created from illegal rips. People would have never cared if there was a paywall to get an interest for nip media.
>>
File: 1425665407002.jpg (41KB, 374x374px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1425665407002.jpg
41KB, 374x374px
>>133750353
It just kind of reminded me of whenever you say 'Windows' on /g/

I also don't really understand how the translations are bad desu, in my experience, the words make sense and they match the picture, so what exactly is the problem?
>>
>>133750494
Possibly a joke, but has a probability of being a new policy of some digital store that the guy sells his stuff on. Somehow i don't see the guy ruining his art even more by censoring unnecessary bits just to make a statement.
>>
>>133750560
>It just kind of reminded me of whenever you say 'Windows' on /g/
Is this your first time on /a/ or something? There are least a hundred things that will get you snide greentext if you mention them, and that's not even counting opinions on anime and manga.
>>
>>133750582
That's kind of hilarious, though.
>>
>>133750597
>opinions
>>
>>133750597
nah this is different desu
>>
>>133750616
Only if it's a joke, i dunno anon i'm feeling very vulnerable when it comes to my lolicon.
>>
>>133750528
Another problem with Japan is their apparent xenophobia when it comes to their works. It's a lot harder to get Japanese media than say Korean media because the Nips shun rather embrace new forms of distribution. For example, most Japanese labels are still very wary of YouTube while Koreans are more welcoming of it. While this has been changing somewhat recently, it may be too little too late.
>>
>>133734800
DC++
>>
>>133750528
That was earlier this thread, but yes, it's pretty stupid to try taking the moral high ground against piracy when that's how people find your series. Stuff like >>133741099 is just ridiculous - if you don't make any money selling a book that's been available for free for five years, it's not the scanlators' fault for being evil robbers, it's your fault for being idiots and expecting people to buy that.
>>
>>133749925
>keep keywords in images rather than in text
What do you mean by this? Sorry if it's a really obvious thing, I use the site to share personal scans (no DL links, just image uploads) but I'm actually not very good at using it.
>>
>>133741099
In japan volumes cost 400 yen, like $3 so he can fuck right off
>>
>>133750782
Ok so imagine you are browsing 4chan or tumblr. There is text on the page that you can highlight and copy. This can be seen by scripts or bots that people write to identify the text in order to send DMCA notices. (Most DMCA notices are automated and are not sent by hand).

Robots.txt is a function to prevent webscrapers working and to tell them to essentially fuck off. I am unsure if it works for copyright trolls.

If you put your text in an image well maybe they have a utility which can identify words in images known as an OCR. However these are extremely rare and there are many millions of fonts you could use to fuck their shit up. So writing 'Scanlation of x manga' in the image and typing out the link and putting it in the image but not in the post body means that you won't get hit by as many DMCA notices. The same principle goes for here (the practice of writing long and detailed filenames and web addresses and album names for example on /mu/ has kicked many of their members in the butt when it gets archived by rebecca. )
>>
>work in the entertainment industry
>do a shit job or just have bad luck
>save face by blaming piracy
kek
>>
>>133750849
Oh I see what you mean now. Thank you for answering.
>>
>>133728685
You can catch up with most of the popular series with an official translation at your local library for free, what would suck is losing all access to niche series that will probably never see the light outside of Japan. Hell, piracy even helps some niche series, just look at the boost in popularity 4chan gave WataMote.
>>
>>133728685
I like Viz there translations are superb and when they localise something, it's to improve the source and no nigga talk. Also the image have a very good quality although the resolution is a bit too small.
>>
>>133751027
>no nigga talk is considered an accomplishment
Read less Mangastream. Viz is pretty bad.
>>
>>133751074
I bet Viz is better than your favorite scanlation group.
>>
>>133751111
Which is a stupid comparison because you don't pay for scanlations while you do for Viz. No shit, it's better. It's supposed to be better. Doesn't mean it's good enough to be worth paying for.
>>
>>133751111
My favorite scanlation groups are my favorites for their taste more than their translation.
>>
>>133751027
>I like Viz there translations are superb
Subtle.
>>
>>133751027
>it's to improve the source
That's not their fucking job. "Improving the source" and having superb translations are mutually exclusive. Also, with English like yours, I'm not sure why you expect us to care about your judgment of a translation.
>>
>>133751111
kill yourself retard
>>
>>133751111
Somehow I don't think so. I'm pretty sure their translator is a professional one, they don't scanlate garbage series and their redraws and resolution aren't completely fucking shit. In fact, they didn't butcher Igarashi Daisuke like Viz did the faggots. So, no, you're definitely wrong.
>>
>>133728883
This is the most /a/ post I've ever read.
>>
>>133751142
Since 6 months or something we have wsjd threads dude. Almost no one pays Viz or CR as we have WSJD-kun and HorribleScans
>>
>>133751177
Name a single scanlation group better than viz. There's none
>>
>>133751190
People are paying them, or else they wouldn't be doing it. Not many /a/nons, but people are. The point is that if you do this as your job and people give you money for it, you've failed if your translations are even on a level with hobbyists, let alone worse than theirs.
>>
>>133751111
/a/ is just salty they don't use -kuns and -chans when they translate
>>
>>133751111
>hating on my rapeman

Any man who can make horseshit entertaining is okay in my book.
>>
>>133751213
But thats the mark of awful translations, nobody likes that shit.
>>
>>133751208
But the point is that they are unironically better than every single scanlation group that does the same series' as them.
>>
>>133738515
Yeah fuck all the software developers of the world. All they make is a pattern of data. No one needs them anyone.

>I hate you and what you stand for. You're trying to take the moral highground over puerile excesses of modern culture.
Seriously fuck you. You don't deserve to live.
>>
>>133751235
>tfw the product I develop is open source and given away for free
>>
>>133751226
This better be bait. There is literally no other way to handle honorifics that's even semi-acceptable.

>>133751227
> that does the same series' as them
That's irrelevant, and I doubt it, anyway. With the number of series they've done, they must overlap with some decent groups.
>>
>>133751220
Stop advertising yourself everytime you have the chance retard
>>
>>133751284
>implying

I can't express I like a certain scanlator without being him myself?
>>
>>133751203
Orange Tangerine did DN better than Viz, even if they misspelled Light as Raito; cause at that time the author hasn't released the official names of the characters
>>
>>133751269
You can just compared their WSJ with the respective groups that do the same series like One Piece, Nisekoi, Bleach, Toriko, Platinum End and so on. All the repective scanlation group are unable to proofread or have something you can even call "english" or "quality".
>>
>>133751298
>implying anyone likes you noname
Kill yourself rapenigga
>>
>>133751336
So you're now dialing back your claim from "they're superb" to "they're better than other groups" to "they're better than the other groups that do the same manga" to "they're better than the other groups that do the same WSJ manga"? That's a lot of backpedaling.
>>
>Scanlation group drop the series because it was licensed
>Dark Horse (6 Volumes - Dropped)

Never forget
>>
>>133751323
That is not misspelled but miss contribulation and conjugalation. Please learn japan to english more.
>>
>>133751323
>they are better even if they are worse
Kek
>>
>>133751350
Oh I get it, you're a Muslim aren't you?
>>
>>133751359
No they are literally better than any scanlation group overall, I'm not even baiting.
>>
>>133751203
You must really read garbage. I won't say that VIz isn't better than a majority of scanlators, but to think that there's none is completely daft.
>>
>>133751377
Why would I be a mudslime you nigga?
>>
File: 1331720211801.jpg (8KB, 251x251px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1331720211801.jpg
8KB, 251x251px
>>133751397
Because you're easily offended like one.
>>
>>133751394
Than name a single one that's overall better than Viz. You unironically can't.
>>
>>133751387
Do me a favor and go check out their Bokurano. It gets worse when you remember you're comparing a professional company's version to rapid-fire scans from one guy doing it for fun.
>>
>>133751403
Kill yourself
>>
>>133751419
Just because you can't win your petty internet argument? I don't think so, bucko.
>>
>>133751407
You know, Kotonoha put a million times more effort into scanlation than Viz puts in.
>>
>>133751411
Post it, I don't have cash for that, we only get Viz' weekly shit ripped not the volumes they do.
>>
>>133751441
What argument you retard?
>>
>>133751444
Sad thing about it is that they are overall worse.
>>
>>133751476
How?
>>
File: 5491961.png (812KB, 1062x749px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
5491961.png
812KB, 1062x749px
>>133733287
>Copyright infringement wasn't illegal until TPP
>>
File: 306.png (2MB, 2300x1725px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
306.png
2MB, 2300x1725px
>>133751476
Anyone want to justify this clonestamp garbage to me?
>>
>>133751377
I'm muslim. You got a problem?
>>
>>133751460
The one how I deny being Rapeman and you accuse me of being him and shilling my shit, silly.

But you're absolutely right, there's no need to continue since this spams up the thread anyway. So I'll just walk away from this and let you off the hook, okay? You don't even have to reply, heck if you want the final post to feel better I won't reply to you and pretend I've been beaten by your superior wits. Whatever floats your boat, goy!
>>
>>133734152
>They'll stop piracy this time, it only took 10,000 tries but this time it's over guise, I swear!
>>
>>133751512
stop killing our people retard
>>
>>133751488
Look at the last 5 releases. Now look at the raws. Now judge the typesetting.
>>
>>133751512
How does it feel that the only things that muslims got right (women as second-class and marrying little girls\fucking shotas for fun) you will not get to experience because you're a westernized muslim?
>>
>>133751269
Honorifics should never be translated. If you are a good translator you will incorporate them to the whole sentence or character

Fuck you
>>
>>133751515
You even write exactly like you do on your website rapenigga
>>
>>133751407
fuck off shill
you're the one who's supposed to give us an example of your so called claim of superiority
>>
>>133751542
Last five releases of what? Kotonoha's last five releases? Viz's?
>>
>>133751572
Compare the latest issue of wsj, it was ripped with the respective scanlation retard
>>
>>133751557
> you will incorporate them to the whole sentence or character
I'm not sure what incorporating to a character means, although part of that might be your shit English, but changing the tone of the sentence to reflect the honorific is much worse than just leaving the honorific there (which isn't "translating" it, by the way).
>>
>>133751582
Kotonoha's of course, you can see it on batoto
>>
>>133738515
What this guy said. I agree that people should be rewarded for their work but it just doesn't apply to entertainment. Even TV shows are tolerable because we pay for the channel subscription and not per episodes we watched. That's why I support websites like netflix because it's fair to sell entertainment in their way. With manga it's difficult if you have to pay for every single one you want to read even new series that you just want to try to get into. You don't see people buying blu-rays of a show they don't know just because the cover seems fun. They saw it on TV first and once they find it interesting then they buy the blu-rays. I bought all the manga series I found interesting while most that I don't are just for fun reading only.
>>
>>133751539
>>133751546
Go to /pol if u want to talk about this.
>>
>>133751610
>On Batoto you can see which scanlation was their last
That's the upload date, you fucking retard.
>>
>>133733864
Drop ballroom. I don't want a retard like you working on such a nice series.
>>
>>133751651
Which are their latest scanlations, keep your autism to yourself
>>
>>133751681
The fact you don't know they've been dead for years says exactly how much you know. But nice trying.
>>
>>133751610
You want to find me Green Blood raws, then? Because I have no idea where those would be.
>>
>>133751711
>>133751695
Are you retarded?
http://bato.to/group/_/k/kotonoha-r171
>>
>>133751746
Are you?
>>
>>133751757
So you are huh
>>
>>133751746
>they're on Batoto, so they must not be dead
I'm done, this has to a shitposter.
>>
>>133751444
You talk about Viz as if it's a single entity. As if it's one person.

So many people in this thread saying that scanlaters are better than Viz. Fuck - where do you think a lot of these Viz translators came from? Stephen Paul was working in the One Piece community for about a decade before he was picked up to do it officially. He'd also done a fucking excellent scanlation of Monster.
>>
>>133751757
>>133751781
Get a room.
>>
>>133751781
So this is what it's like talking to mangafox faggots?
>>
>>133751788
>dead since years
>last update one week ago
>several ones in 2015
Kill yourself
>>
>>133751809
Try trolling harder.
>>
>>133751790
> Fuck - where do you think a lot of these Viz translators came from?
As I said in the last thread when someone brought this up, if I formed a mercenary group out of some ex-soldiers, that would not mean you'd get the same work from us as from the army.
>>
>>133751797
Nope that's what you get for your "no u" attitude
>>
>>133751816
You were disproven retard
>>
>>133751822
This is the most retarded post itt
>>
>>133751855
Stop trying so hard. Checked
>>
>>133751855
By updates from 10 years ago.
>>
>>133751873
Prove it
>>
>>133751870
That's literally the least retarded of the last fifteen posts, thanks to this Viz shitposter.
>>
>>133751897
I refuse to believe it isn't some retarded backpedalling attempt.
>>
>>133751914
Yet you keep replying. Just ignore him you fucking idiot.
>>
>>133751822
That analogy doesn't work. Like, remotely.

Have you ever heard these Viz guys talk about their work? They're just as passionate as they ever were about this stuff - if not more. Getting paid for it is icing on the cake.

You can move the goalposts all you want. There's no such thing as "Viz". Every property is translated by different people, some properties more than one of it's longer. Almost everyone there has been working in the scanlation and fan communities for over a decade. They actively employ people who know their shit. It's the kind of shitmuchers that NEED their honorifics and untranslated words in that ruin all this shit.

I'll continue to enjoy that stuff, you continue to stay angry at nothing.
>>
File: 2D Constanza.jpg (69KB, 728x1077px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
2D Constanza.jpg
69KB, 728x1077px
>this thread
>>
>>133751897
>comparing the army to internet pirates
No it's pretty retarded
>>
ITT people that don't know Japanese think scanlators do a better job at translating just because they do it for free and add honorifics, TL notes and don't translate half of weeabo terms. TL note: note means plan.

If only you know how much meaning and context is butchered in scanlations. Most translators have no fucking clue what they're reading and guesswork their way out of it.
>>
>>133751931
>There's no such thing as "Viz"
There is. "Viz's translations are x" means "the average translation put out by Viz is x" not "every single translation Viz puts out is x".

>I'll continue to enjoy that stuff, you continue to stay angry at nothing.
I'm not even angry, you're the one throwing around "shitmuchers" and cursing.
>>
>Viz and CR are better than most scanlation group
>hurr why aren't they better, they are shit because they aren't like I want it with my shit Tls
Kill yourself
>>
>>133751966
>>133752028
>samefagging this hard
Yeah, I'm going to bed. Have fun with your circlejerk of one.
>>
>>133752050
It's literally the first post I make in this thread. If you weren't so fucking knew you'd be able to tell this just by looking. Lurk more.
>>
File: image.png (101KB, 640x960px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
image.png
101KB, 640x960px
>>133752050
Ok senpai
>>
SUPPORT CRUNCHYROLL! READ THEIR MANGA!

http://www.nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=756814
>>
>>133751980
>There is. "Viz's translations are x" means "the average translation put out by Viz is x" not "every single translation Viz puts out is x"
Wow. That literally doesn't mean anything.

>I'm not even angry
Then stop. Put your heart into it, learn some facts or shut the fuck up.

Think that the average Viz translation sucks? Why not learn Japanese, put together your own team and show them who's boss, eh? You can leave as many honorifics and TL notes in as you like. Better yet, have a glossary at the back like those terrible Del Ray books used to have.
>>
>>133752096
>CR
No thanks. Now that's a site with awful translating going on.
>>
>>133752104
Why do you keep bringing up honorifics and tl notes?
>>
>ITT: Youngfags
People who remember the early days of Viz or worse yet, Tokyopop know that Viz as it exists now is the best we've ever had it.
>>
>>133752131
Because it's cliché shit translation and what you get in 99% of scanlation.
>>
>>133752131
Not him but a professional translator knows how to convey the translation without resorting to leaving things untranslated or adding a paragraph explaining the joke.
>>
>>133752163
You meant those people who change everything to Mr/Ms?
>>
>>133752193
TL notes are one thing, but I really don't see why anyone would have an issue with honorifics being left in when the audience for your translation is entirely comfortable with them.
>>
And i will keep ripping and uploading their releases. Good luck getting to me,i'm behind 100 skeletons.
>>
>>133752249
Depends. If you're translating for a broad audience that has no clue what dono means you can't leave it there. Some suffixes aren't as clear as say, chan. Actually, most people don't even know what chan really means and will be confused when it's used in different context other than a cute young girl. But I digress. If you're writing the dub script for a ghibli movie for example, kids will just be confused and not really get what it's supposed to imply. You have to rewrite what the characters say to convey the same meaning of the honorifics or formal language, this is preferable than leaving an ambiguous suffix that readers might not be able to understand. If you do it right as you should, no harm will be done to the original.
>>
>>133752225
Good thing you arent translating
>>
>>133732675
/v/ here, I don't buy into that bullshit any more.
Not after Mega Man Legends 3.
>>
>>133752429
> Actually, most people don't even know what chan really means and will be confused when it's used in different context other than a cute young girl
I'd be pretty surprised if that were the case on /a/. Regardless, my general point is that complaining about scanlators leaving honorifics in just seems silly. They're translating for a bunch of weebs who spend their time on manga and anime. It's reasonable to expect them to know all the common ones.
>>
>>133752517
But that's not professional level. It's not a good translation.
>>
>>133752517
I agree with that, I was just speaking generally. Incidentally though, saying that an official translation is bad just because they don't use honorifics when their target is people who aren't used to Japanese language isn't a very good argument.
>>
>>133752566
>their target is people who aren't used to Japanese language
It's not fucking 90's anymore, no one but fags who are used to Japanese language buy their shit.
>>
>>133752566
It is a good argument not to support their release if they do.
>>
>>133752671
You obviously have no idea who buys their shit. It's the kind of people that only know two suffixes and has to google kouhai.

>>133752680
I'd rather have a no honorifics release that translates everything else well than a release that leaves honorifics but fucks up with what's happening in the story.
>>
>>133752566
It doesn't make the translator bad or anything, but if I'm given a choice of translations, I'm obviously going to prefer the one targeted more closely to me.
>>
>>133752739
But if it's translated well then you won't even notice the lack of honorifics. That's the point.
>>
>>133752739
I can agree with that. My point is that just because they leave honorifics in you can't be sure they are good translators so at least compare the translation in 1 or 2 chapters before deciding which one is most suited to you.
>>
>>133730690
Franc[e]sco is that you? Oppai trainer?
>>
>>133752728
>a release that leaves honorifics but fucks up with what's happening in the story.
The way you word your post makes it seem that a translations is bad by default just because the honorifics are left in. You seem extremely biased in this matter, to the point that i'm even having trouble taking you seriously.
I don't even like when translators leave honorifics in, but you're seriously pushing it.
>>
>>133752762
> then you won't even notice the lack of honorifics
No, you definitely will. There is no direct English equivalent for most honorifics. Changing the sentence to convey the tone, if done well, can mirror it, but you're placing the tone in several parts of the sentence instead of having it be a "normal" tone except for the indication of the honorific, which isn't a huge difference but definitely still exists.

>>133752763
Fair enough.
>>
>>133752829
I'm not implying that which is why I wrote >>133752763 after I realized it sounded that way.
Every scanlation I read lately was terrible translation wise but everyone preferred reading it because they left honorifics in. This is the only reason I'm upset about it. I actually prefer honorifics left in by the way.
>>
File: 1417394227532.jpg (46KB, 624x464px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1417394227532.jpg
46KB, 624x464px
>People who work in the entertainment industry don't deserve to be paid because.
>HURR data strings are information so it's not theft.
>If you can't translate something that doesn't exist in other languages you're a bad translator.

Just when you think /a/ couldn't get any more retarded it manages to surprise you with new lows.
Literally worse than reddit.
>>
Who cares about kun and desu at the least Viz knows English. Looking at you Mangapanda, Jaimini's Box and Fallen Angels.
>>
>>133752954
I refuse to believe anyone didn't know /a/ supports piracy.
>>
>>133752974
That's not the point, I support piracy too if it's for a good cause, but the justifications in this thread are literal cancer.
>>
>>133752969
I don't know about "good cause," personally, but I can agree that claiming it's not theft is stupid. I just don't care.
>>
>>133752954
It's not theft, it's sharing.
>>
>>133753005
Newfags. The seasoned anon will not bother discussing piracy in a fucking animenewsnetwork thread. He will instead tell you to choke on a dick and report your shit thread.
>>
I'll consider buying their manga if they sell digital manga for a low price per volume and no DRM.

Otherwise they can go fuck themselves. Almost none of the manga they pick up are worth the shelf space.
>>
>>133753034
It's copyright infringement to be more precise, so yeah it's not theft, it's illegal duplication.
>>
Can someone tell me what TPP is? I've been living under a rock for the past few months
>>
>>133753070
The newest way countries want to fuck everyone over for their own benefit.
>>
>>133753063
>it's illegal duplication

There is no such thing.
>>
>>133753046
>if they sell digital manga for a low price
They do.

>no DRM
As easy as getting videos from YT.
>>
>>133753070
Modern serfdom is what it is. It's because of sheeple like you that companies get to screw us over. Why is it so difficult for faggots to understand that if they want to keep their rights, they need to stay up to date on global happenings?
>>
>>133753070
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans-Pacific_Partnership
>>
>>133753112
Their prices are too high per volume. 4 dollars at most would be acceptable.

And just because i know how to remove their DRM,doesn't mean i will pay for DRM trash.
>>
>>133753108
Illegal reproduction then.
>>
>>133753133
>4 dollars at most would be acceptable
Look in kindle store, that's about the price I think.
>>
>>133753108
There will be soon enough when the law is revised.
>>
>>133753133
>And just because i know how to remove their DRM,doesn't mean i will pay for DRM trash.
Where are you buying it from?
>>
>>133753123
One of my main rights I want is the right to ignorance, though.
>>
>>133728685
> licensed channels.
>shitty trans
>print only
>overpriced
>publication monopoly

and you wonder why manga died
>>
>>133753146
7-11 dollar is the norm for viz digital manga. That amounts to a shit load of money when you consider the amount of volumes per series.

>>133753169
If i ever buy it,i buy from comixology. It has a extension to rip your manga.
>>
>>133731135
Even thought those thieves are the very reason the manga/anime industry is alive outside of Japan?
20 years ago the japanese governement loathed the idea of exporting manga and animu and if it wasn't for those thieves 4chan wouldn't probably even exist.
>>
>>133753172
Willful ignorance isn't a right, it's a sin.
>>
>>133753203
>If i ever buy it,i buy from comixology. It has a extension to rip your manga.
They also offer DRM free backups themselves. The extension shit is just what /co/ use to rip their books
>>
I own over 4,000 different volumes of manga and even I think the American model of charging $10-15 a softcover volume is total shit in 2015.

The all you can eat model is fine once a catalog grows big enough. Not familiar with what Viz offers for $10/month but if it's their entire library and Shonen Jump that's not a bad deal.
>>
>>133753203
>supporting /co/ shite
>implying normal people have the reading habits of your average anon
>>
>>133753226
None of the manga publishers allow the official backup. Do you really think VIZ would allow that? They go out of their way to lock down their shit.
>>
>>133734624
>We can only hope that global culture moves toward the practice of providing digital products as services without payment per item but instead paying for the service after you've used it.
The [insert thing that isn't a service] as a service model is the biggest fucking scam ever conceived and it makes me sad that so many people don't recognize it. Instead of paying for something once and owning it forever, you will pay for it forever and cede all control to the provider.
>>
>>133753243
I don't support ''/co/ shite''. I use that site since it's the only way i know of to rip VIZ manga in decent quality.
>>
>>133753203
>7-11 dollar
For a single volume?
You Americans sure have it rough.
>>133753211
>20 years ago the japanese governement loathed the idea of exporting manga and animu and if it wasn't for those thieves 4chan wouldn't probably even exist.
Fuck off, we've been getting anime since the 70's and manga was already big by the 90's here in Europe, don't make up shit to justify piracy.
>>
>>133753243
>implying the average anon would have those reading habits if they had to actually pay for it
>>
>>133753232
>$10/month
It's $26/year.
>their entire library and Shonen Jump
Just the weekly releases I think.
>>
>>133753203
>7-11 dollar is the norm for viz digital manga
Pretty sure it was 4-5 the last time I saw it but maybe it's just my shonen shit.
>>
>>133753133
It the US manga market was like Japan, i.e. ~$5-6 per volume for new titles with and wide availability of second hand manga at $1-2 per volume, I think a lot more people would buy it.
>>
>>133753311
This. US are greedy fucks when it comes to licensing manga. They treat it as a normal book when in Japan it's treated like trash and sold at trash prices.
>>
>>133753280
>we've been getting anime since the 70's
Only popular stuff that would qualify as "normie anime" today.

>manga was already big by the 90's here in Europe
It was the cool underground stuff but I wouldn't not call that popular.
>>
>>133753232
You don't even get their back-catalog,and pirates have the option to read a larger potion of the older releases because buying the back issues is limited.

>>133753311
I certainly would.

>>133753303
shounenshit tend to have low prices on the first few volumes,only to go up to 11 dollars on the newer ones.
>>
>>133753343
>I wouldn't not call that popular.
I wouldn't call that popular.
Sorry.
>>
>not buying your japanese media in superior japanese digital online stores
>not supporting your fave creators
>supporting middlemen, SJW translators and literal jews
You're all homosexuals.
>>
>>133753203
>11 dollars for 200 digital pages
Who pays for that?
>>
>>133753303
Depends on the book. And I'm guessing page count. Lowest I'm seeing is 5, 7 seems to be the average cost. Some are at 9, but they look like new releases
>>
>>133753382
Those are only the newest 3 volumes or so most of the time. Otherwise its 7 dollars. Still way too much for shounenshit.
>>
>>133753343
You have no idea what you're talking about. Even to this day USA is still not at the same level France, Germany or even Spain were 10 years ago when manga is concerned. There's still manga that have yet to be translated to English but they have been sold in Europe for a decade. The only difference is that Eurofags don't scan their manga so you're not aware they exist. But you can see lots of DVD rips that are rips of Italian releases on Nyaa for example.
>>
>>133753375
I ain't got time to learn moonspeak...I have NEET things to do.

>>133753382
Idiots and people with rich parents who mistakenly believe that if they spoil their twisted wreck of a child that he'll somehow turn out ok in the end.
>>
>>133753444
>I have NEET things to do.
Yeah, like learning moonspeak. The only reason you are not learning Japanese despite having all the time in the world as a NEET is because you're spending that time shitposting and playing video games. Fuck off back to /v/.
>>
>>133753045
>He will instead tell you to choke on a dick and report your shit thread.
Still a newfag.
True seasoned anons just ignore this kind of threads in the first place.
>>
>>133753430
>You have no idea what you're talking about.
Because I'm talking about Europe.
I'm french btw and publisher here looked at what was being pirated the most to before publishing stuff here. They don't do that anymore since the market is big enough now but it's how it was a long time ago.
>>
>>133728883
And yet they are still better than 90% of scanlation groups. Though, that's not really a big achievement.
>>
>>133753343
>Only popular stuff that would qualify as "normie anime" today.
Niche and minor products never get out of borders, it's always been like this, nobody invests in something that doesn't bring something in you dumb motherfucker, we still got a all the good shows, even the Kinnikuman anime got out of Japan.
That said, in Europe we got A LOT of minor and niche stuff like Poru no Mirakuru Daisakusen, Youkai Ningen Bem and quite a lot of mecha.
>It was the cool underground stuff but I wouldn't not call that popular.
You have no idea what you're talking about, the stuff americans either long for or are getting now was already in Europe for decades, Europe imported a humongous amount of Japanese stuff including obscure Toku shows like Megaloman.
Educate yourself before posting garbage.
>>
>>133753494
Look at the beggar being a chooser.
>>
>>133753476
I'm spending that time reading the shitload of English translated content. When i'm out i might be forced to start learning japanese.

>>133753494
Being kinda better is not enough when you ask money for your work.
>>
>>133753526
>Being kinda better is not enough when you ask money for your work.

I do agree with that, in any case I'm glad someone rips them.
>>
>entitled little shits used to having everything without paying throw a tantrum over paying for what they consume

Kids these days.
>>
>>133753552
Good goy
>>
>>133753552
The worst part is that they even want to school you about how it was before they were born.
The internet was a mistake, it should have been used just for porn instead of piracy, we wouldn't have this kind of monstrous entitlement.
>>
The average manga costs too much. They expect you to pay $10 per volume in a series that has 20.

I actually prefer physical copies and would gladly buy them, but those prices are stupid.

And I don't care how much they cost on average in Japan. $10 for a comic book that I will read maybe twice is too much when novels cost about the same.
>>
>>133753602
The only reason why you think it's too much is because you're asking your parents to buy it for you or using an allowance. If you have your own job and know how to manage your savings there's no such thing as manga costing too much.
>>
>>133753509
See >>133753492
You are arguing about the US of A while everything I said was about Europe.
We're talking about 2 different things and that's why we cannot reach an agreement nor agree to disagree.
Glad to have cleared that up.
>>
>>133753628
That's such a stupid fucking argument you're posing. If I was using allowance I wouldn't argue about the price retard.

I'm not paying $10 for a comic book on principle. I don't care if I can afford it. Have some standards you asswhip.
>>
>>133753667
So you're okay with paying $10 for a pizza you're only going to eat once and barely make up for what your body really needs but you're sperging about paying $10 for a comic book you can read all the times you want, get never ending cultural enlightenment and then sell it to a second hand store and get part of your investment? Sure thing. Come back after you get a job, retard.
>>
>>133753628
>If you have your own job and know how to manage your savings there's no such thing as manga costing too much.
I read four volumes today, plus new releases. If fifty dollars a day on manga isn't too much, you've got a better job than I do.
>>
>>133753628
To be honest, 10 bucks for a normal manga is just too much, not even the most luxurious edition reaches the equivalent of 10$ here in Europe, unless you want to buy some deluxe rererereprint of niche stuff from the 70's/80's with the best paper available, hard+soft cover and added extras and you live in places like Switzerland which has fucking absurd manga prices for some reason.
>>133753640
I'm talking about Europe, did you shut off your brain or something?
You frogs got almost all the stuff we guidos had, I know that market very well, we bested you in a few genres but we were pretty much the biggest manga and anime consumers in the world during the 70's/80's/early 90's
>>
>>133753724
>projecting this hard
Okay enough of your dumb ass.
>>
>>133753728
You only read four volumes today because you didn't have to pay for them. Did you also play four PS4 only videogames today? Did you go to the theater and watch 4 movies today?
>>
>>133739984
If fansubs didn't exist I wouldn't know about 99% of the crap I read in the first place. It would also depend on the quality. If it was decently done i probably would be ok with buying but some of the picures I've seen of crunchyroll translations are so shit that I'd demand a refund.
>>
One other thing VIZ probably won't like is that i always share digital manga i buy. I feel that i should have the right to do so if i bought a copy.
>>
>>133753762
Nice counterargument, retard. Glad you finally assumed you're living off your parents' income.
>>
>>133753764
> You only read four volumes today because you didn't have to pay for them
Yes, exactly. I wouldn't read them if I had to pay for them, because that's too much money, which is the exact thing you were arguing against. Thanks for admitting that.
>>
>>133753764
I did pay Fallout 4 but guess what? I'm not going to pay 60$ for skyrim with guns.
>>
>>133753764
>muh false equivalency
Fuck off.
>>
>>133753789
If you're saying you wouldn't pay for what you're reading then what you read isn't that good after all, so it doesn't really matter either way.

>>133753823
Exactly.
>>
>>133753754
>>133753509
>Niche and minor products never get out of borders, it's always been like this, nobody invests in something that doesn't bring something in
>Europe imported a humongous amount of Japanese stuff including obscure Toku shows like Megaloman.
>niche stuff don't get outside of Japan but Europe publish them anyway
You're contradicting yourself and no one here have heard of those shows.
I'll trust you and believe that they published them here but I seriously doubt they brought any money in.
>>
File: how NOT to TN.jpg (226KB, 677x1000px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
how NOT to TN.jpg
226KB, 677x1000px
I just love me some great quality scanlations.
>>
>>133753873
>If you're saying you wouldn't pay for what you're reading then what you read isn't that good after all, so it doesn't really matter either way.
That's not what we were arguing about, which you've now given up on, but it's also bullshit. I wouldn't pay fifty dollars a day for what I read, because I flat out can't afford to.
>>
>>133753969
Please no, we'll be the whole day here.
>>
>>133753873
>you wouldn't pay for what you're reading then what you read isn't that good after all
Go back to bed anon.
>>
>>133753969
>T/L Note: some paragraphs on end with them bitching endless about some other group
Please no
>>
>>133753969
Are you trying to make a point about fan scanlations? If so, don't use stuff that's over a decade old.
>>
>>133753972
>>133754008
See >>133753552
Just because you're used to having all this content available for free it doesn't mean you should. If you can't afford to pay for what you like then you're reading too much and need to establish priorities in your life.
>>
>>133754059
>implying there's any difference with modern ones
>>
>>133753890
Are you so fucking retarded to not understand my follow up on the main statement?
Let me greentext it again for you
>nobody invests in something that doesn't bring something in
But what if there was an actual market for that niche stuff in Europe?
Does that make a bit more sense for you now?
>and no one here have heard of those shows.
How fucking old are you?
all the people around 30-35 have seen what I quoted here, Bem was even broadcasted again on MTV in the early 00's here because it was a cult classic for an entire generation.
Same with stuff like Tokimeki Tonight, Ai Shite Night got even an LA made entirely in Italy because it was a smashing success, arguably much more than it was in Japan.

Maybe you're just too young to know all of this, but you should have still informed yourself a bit.
>>
>>133754073
>If you can't afford to pay for what you like then you're reading too much and need to establish priorities in your life
I have established priorities. That's exactly why I can't afford to pay for what I like, because I'm spending most of my money on necessities and putting the rest away so that I don't wind up dead broke if I ever lose my job.
>>
>>133754073
Now I realize you entitled faggots may not be aware such places exist, but there are public libraries, which make available paid content at no cost to the consumer. And, bookstores like barnes & noble have reading sections, where faggots can read all the new releases they want without actually paying for them.
>>
>>133754102
There is. The scans, type-setting, and notes are all much better now compared to this and most stuff released then.
>>
>>133754142
You're not. If you read so much manga that you wouldn't be able to afford it, that means you have a lot of time. If you have a lot of time, it means you're working part-time. This explains why you have no money for manga and use most of your income in necessities and saving whatever is left. Get a full-time job. Save all your money and get a college degree that will open you doors to get better paying jobs.
>>
>>133754192
Fuck leaving the house.
>>
>>133754206
No, I'm working nine to five. That leaves two thirds of the day for hobbies, which is more than enough for a couple volumes.
>>
>>133754115
But the question then is "how do they know there's an actual market for that stuff here?"
Which brings me back to >>133753492
>publisher here looked at what was being pirated the most to before publishing stuff here
>>
>>133754192
This is literally the exact same deal as pirating manga. Just because it's legal doesn't make it any different, I'm still depriving the author of the money I'd make him if I bought it.
>>
>>133754206
Only retards who get kids don't have time after work to read 5+ volumes a day.
>>
>>133754192
I used to do that before. Not every single manga was available because the in stock selection was limited and I'd often not find the volume I wanted to read next. This is why I changed to digital manga, it's cheaper because I pay a lot in transport and wouldn't always get to read what I wanted in the end.
>>
>>133754272
If your life ideal is 24h work-manga with no other hobbies whatsoever then more the reason to support the authors you like so much.
>>
>>133754256
>"how do they know there's an actual market for that stuff here?"
I don't know about the France market, but here in Italy it was basically an experiment, we started with Mazinger, Harlock and Lupin and basically everything else followed because there was a huge boom of literal weeaboos in the pure sense of the word back then, you could even throw moe or obscure stuff and people would still watch it, there were a very minor number of shows that didn't work.
The only major ,and rather curious, dissonance is Gundam, we got very few Gundam shows, most people say that it's due to the super robot syndrome but that wouldn't explain why we got Robotech, even more weird, we actually got Robotech and not Macross.
We even got Voltron but curiously real robots were always in second place here, no VOTOMS either
>>
>>133754326
But again, I don't have the money.
>>
>>133754390
It was the same here, what I said about publisher looking at what people were pirating is only partially true for anime.
One of the reasons fansubbing came to be was because they were did a terrible job at publishing stuff.
Hokuto no Ken dubs was so bad it ended up being legendary here.
>>
>>133754780
I wish CR FR licensed more shows, ADN have terrible audio and Wakanim is pretty crazy on C&Ds. We're left with terrible fansubs with poor video quality and shitty subtitles. Natsumi no Sekai is the Hadena of FR fansubs, their Overlord releases were awful.
>>
File: 1418352831921.jpg (96KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1418352831921.jpg
96KB, 1440x1080px
>>133728685
>Don't finish bringing Patlabor across but retain the rights
>Think they get to claim they support fans
>>
>>133755211
Legal offers (and lazyness) basically killed fansubbing in France.
Those who are actually willing to work on subbing/scanlating stuff will very often work on english teams
>>
>>133753375
>You're all homosexuals.
You say it like it would be something bad
>>
>>133755267
True. The lazyness of our groups is a real problem, they need to step the fuck up. It's pretty depressing when you see that most french releases are hardsubbed, optimized for streaming and translated from english without any pass of TLC.
>>
>>133755606
>True. The lazyness of our groups is a real problem, they need to step the fuck up. It's pretty depressing when you see that most french releases are hardsubbed, optimized for streaming and translated from english without any pass of TLC.

That's one of the reason i stopped watching spanish fansubs.
>>
>Viz Media actively supports manga creators and manga fan culture, and is committed to making the highest possible quality content available to a global audience through licensed channels.

>Retarded translations sometimes
>Translating sound effects
>That period where they flipped their series left to right
>That period where they did nothing but promote Naruto 24/7
>Canceling series that don't sell despite never promoting them as much
>Tons of series that still haven't been brought over

Nice try Viz
>>
>>133755670
>Translating sound effects
As opposed to what, leaving them as is where people won't be able to understand them?
>>
>>133755606
I have nothing to add here, those are the reason I don't watch french subs anymore.
>>
>>133755670
And yet they are better than any scanlation group.
>>
>Digital piracy is a crime that steals what others have worked so hard to create.

>implying the companies which license it aren't profiteering leeches who act entitled to money they don't deserve
>>
>>133755774
It's like we're really going around in circles.
>>
>>133754780
Not going to lie, that was pretty funny, are there more like it?
>>
>>133755727
Translating "Dokidoki" into "heart thumping" or something is a crime.
>>
>>133755808
>profiteering leeches who act entitled to money they don't deserve
>official translations don't deserve to be paid
Are you retarded?
>>
>>133755832
Because no one who isn't a weeab knows what the fuck dokidoki means.

Viz isn't a group of nerds online translating shit for other weeabs, they're a company that are translating a product for the general public.
>>
>>133755883
well they can go suck a dick.
>>
>>133755846
>Official translations are shit and shut out people who can do better.

>companies deliberately target popular series and produce a shit-quality product

Go fuck yourself with a cactus.
>>
Piracy causes lost sales
>>
>>133755942
How so?
>>
>>133755923
>>Official translations are shit and shut out people who can do better.
Again, there is no scanlation group that is better as a whole than Viz or CR.

>>companies deliberately target popular series
Yes, because it's a job. They aren't doing it for fun. It's not NEETs doing stuff for NEETs.

>and produce a shit-quality product
This is simply wrong. It clearly has flaws, but is not bad as a whole.
>>
File: french dub 2.png (636KB, 600x872px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
french dub 2.png
636KB, 600x872px
>>133755828
The whole french dub is like that but finding actual comparison with the original dub is actually hard.
There's a lot of video on youtube but most of them are only in french so I doubt you'd understand anything.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHzG42u15k4
>>
>>133755985
>Again, there is no scanlation group that is better as a whole than Viz or CR.
I have kept from replying to posts making this argument because i actually have no idea about viz releases, but if you honestly think that there is no group that is consistently better than cr then you're an idiot.
There are groups that one would consider mediocre at best and they still manage to do a better job than some so called "professional letterers" employed by cr.
>>
>>133755828
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHzG42u15k4
>>
>>133755964
It's not with every single case, but on mainstream media it does.

"I would like to have that CD, hmm, why should I buy that when I can just pirate it for free?" That's a lost sale isn't it? I was going to buy it but decided to pirate it instead, I get the product without exchanging any money for it.

Obviously there are situations where you simply cannot buy the product, especially in out of print/zero stock media, and products that aren't available at all in your country.
>>
frustrated about viz being shit /a/?
There is an easy solution
learn moon speak
seriously though, I've been toying with the idea, but learning japanese just to read manga seems kinda gay
>>
>>133756054
>bitching about typesetters
What do you not understand about as a whole?
>>
>>133756069
>I was going to buy it but decided to pirate it instead, I get the product without exchanging any money for it.
That only affects a small percentage of the population. Most people would never buy it in the first place, so you're not actually losing a sale, and most of the people that were going to buy it are still going to buy it, even if they can find it online for free. If anything you're exposing your product to a larger number of consumers, potentially gaining new customers.
>>
>>133756069
On our case, people don't buy the localized version because the companies fuck up everything transforming a product aimed at a niche market into something they can sell to "anyone".

It's just the plain stupidity on their side that makes it a lost sale, but yet it's easier to blame the pirates.
>>
>>133756153
>as a whole?
What do you mean by as a whole?
Their translations are probably on the same level as some scanlations, the typesetting is notoriously worse, there is no quality control whatsoever, you're forced to use their terrible flash reader, what is this whole you're talking about?
As i said before, you're a fucking idiot, enjoy this last (you) from me.
>>
>>133755985
>Again, there is no scanlation group that is better as a whole than Viz or CR.
Why do you think Viz or CR's translations are better, just because the translator works for a company? Many publishers have hired inexperienced or shit-tier translators in order to pay the minimum for their work. Matt Thorn made a big article about this years ago about Publishers like Tokyopop and DMG that would go out of their way to hire inexperienced college students willing to get minimum-wage level pay for their translations.

Sometimes it's even noticeable if there's a shift in workers, like the english translation of Dorohedoro. In that case they changed translators at volume four and the person they hired after didn't even bother checking previous work or manga volumes and wound up misgendering characters and altering dialogue/accents.
>>
>>133754270
This is what I tell people all the time. Media piracy is just a word people coined to destroy what is basically a more efficient modern library system.
>>
>>133755727
>is where people won't be able to understand them?
They aren't that hard to start picking up with context if you read a lot of manga, and editing them really shits on the art sometimes.
>>
>>133732164
at least pretend to try, will you
>>
File: laughing anges.jpg (131KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
laughing anges.jpg
131KB, 1280x720px
>>133728685
>committed to making the highest possible quality content available
>>
>>133728685
did viz actually put out anything relevant the last couple years?
i recall ranma in the 90's, shitty overpriced vhs tapes.
manga was cool.
>>
>>133756121
where do i start, senpai?
>>
>>133756450
They translated Stradust Crusaders (kinda meh)
And now they're translating Phantom Blood and Battle Tendency
>>
>>133756450
I liked Ultraman
>>
>>133756450
Dorohedoro but it has a bunch of translation issues and they're too cheap to include colored pages in the physical version.
>>
>>133756267
>Their translations are probably on the same level as some scanlations
No, they obviously aren't. Why do you talk about things you do not understand?

>the typesetting is notoriously worse
Most of the time it is not.

>there is no quality control
How would you know?

>whatsoever, you're forced to use their terrible flash reader,
Nope, just rip the shit. There. Now you can use whatever the fuck you want.

>>133756274
>Why do you think Viz or CR's translations are better, just because the translator works for a company?
Nope, they are better because they do actual proofreading.
>>
File: 1444066201655.jpg (68KB, 420x347px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1444066201655.jpg
68KB, 420x347px
>>133756712
>they are better because they do actual proofreading
the fuck im reading here?
>>
>>133750528
>the only reason companies are translating is because there is demand that was created from illegal rips
Pretty much everything published by Seven Seas was licensed because it'd get posted and translated on here.
>>