[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Yen Press

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 10

File: 20150320071753.jpg (3MB, 2988x5312px) Image search: [Google]
20150320071753.jpg
3MB, 2988x5312px
Why do we hate them? They're more reliable at translating than most fan translators.
>>
>>122753691
>we
>>
Four fucking months
>>
>>122753782
And two years worth of semen.
>>
>>122753782
The fan translation of SAO Progressive took far longer, and never finished.
>>
They print on shit quality paper, are slow as fuck, and stops fan translations for newer volumes.
>>
>Arriving Apr 27, 2015 - May 1, 2015
Thanks, Amazon.

How is it? Is it the same dude who translated the main series?

>>122753983
>stops fan translations for newer volumes.
No, B-T stops fan translations. You just need translators who translate off-site.

Has YP actually sent out any C&D's?
>>
>>122753983
>They print on shit quality paper
Who cares? It's paper.

>are slow as fuck
They're releasing three books in March, six books in April, and two books in May. That's almost one book a week on average.

>and stops fan translations for newer volumes
Please, the fan translators could continue away from BT if they really wanted to. Spice and Wolf continued, Haruhi volumes 10-11 got translated in spite of licensing, and Danmachi got another four volumes in before receiving a DMCA, and it's still continuing nevertheless.
>>
>>122753691
That's just out and out bullshit.
They've botched a number of translations. Crest of the Stars was by far their worst. Baka-tsuki's Chinese to English translation read better.
>>
>>122754163
>How is it? Is it the same dude who translated the main series?
According to the copyrights page, it's the same Stephen Paul.

>Has YP actually sent out any C&D's?
I'm pretty sure BT got C&Ds for S&W and Haruhi, and more recently the Danmachi translator got one and his blog closed down.
>>
>>122754342
Crest of the Stars was Tokyopop you pillock.
>>
How do they translate things that put focus on honorifics?
>>
>>122754507
Depends on the skill of the translator. They have a number of them.
Honorifics are just a more explicit vehicle through which politeness of tone is conveyed. If you're a skilled enough writer you can localize honorifics through the tone of a character's speech and the nuances involved in formality and familiarity, politeness and rudeness.
>>
File: i feel so much more japanese now.jpg (504KB, 1500x1112px) Image search: [Google]
i feel so much more japanese now.jpg
504KB, 1500x1112px
>>122754371
>it's the same Stephen Paul.
That guy's word selection is, uh, interesting.

And YP's editors for SAO leaves something to be desired.
>convert everything to imperial units
>that word selection
>SAO:P manga, i.e. "Learn Japanese Onomatopoeia With Asuna!"

>>122754507
They usually don't.
>>
>>122754631
What about something like this.
>The girl captured my gaze in hers, beginning to inch towards me once more.
>Well, just calling her what she wanted to be called would be the best way to go, but honestly, I’d thought she was “the same age as me” or “a year younger” when we first met, so this did feel a little weird.
>However, the girl couldn’t read my thoughts, so she came closer, saying, “Come on~ I’m Onee-chan~”
>That’s enough. I’ve got to give in at this point. Even if it’d be weird, it’s just a title. It won’t be a big deal once I just say it.
"N-nee-chan."
>The moment that I said that, it felt that, somehow, something in my heart had quietly slipped into hiding.
>Though, at least, after I’d called her that, my mind seemed to have begun registering her as an “older sister” properly.
>The girl blinked, as though in surprise, at my words. “Nee-chan… so there’s that too, huh…”
>>
File: 20150320071922.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20150320071922.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
So yeah Progressive V1 is definitely longer than prior volumes.

The parts titles are translated as
>Aria on a Starless Night
>The Reason for the Whiskers
>Rondo for a Fragile Blade
>>
File: cb_sound3.gif (58KB, 529x298px) Image search: [Google]
cb_sound3.gif
58KB, 529x298px
>>122754699
You expect them to clean the onomatopoeia out and replace it with English?
>>
>>122754286
>They're releasing three books in March, six books in April, and two books in May. That's almost one book a week on average.
I can't help but wonder how many sales they actually make. It would be a shame to see their parent company terminate them for losing too much money, leaving all their licenses in limbo.
>>
>>122755660
SAO is definitely making them a profit, it was one the top selling sci-fi books online when it came out. I think I read that Index didn't do that well, but I forget where.
>>
File: for the love of god.jpg (537KB, 1500x1112px) Image search: [Google]
for the love of god.jpg
537KB, 1500x1112px
>>122755349
I expect them to not use what are essentially parenthetical TLN for every single onomatopoeia in the manga.
>SUTA (TL Note: "suta" means "tromp")
Either transliterate the kana or replace it with the English equivalent. I'm not picky. I don't even care if they don't redraw the onomatopoeia. But the parentheses are just annoying.

It wouldn't even be so bad if they weren't all over the fucking place.
>pekori (bow)
>karan (clank)
>koron (clunk)
>gui (tug)
>kacha (clink)
>gaya (murmur)
>wai (chatter)
>pikon (beep)
>pekori (bow) IN CASE YOU FORGOT FROM THE PREVIOUS PAGE
>mugu (munch)
Seriously now.
>>
>>122755707
If only we were getting Index S3.
>>
>>122755201
I thought it was out March 24th, you got yours already? Progressive LN I mean.
>>
>>122754699
Who is the translator for the manga?
>>122755806
Oh shit, a wild honorific
>>
>>122755921
Yes, thanks to the place I ordered mine from dispatching early, probably to allow for postal delays or something.

>>122755873
Shit, what if they decide to license Heavy Object?
>>
>>122755921
Bookstores usually put stuff on the shelf as soon as they get it unless the publisher is actively enforcing the street date, which they never do. I think some online retailers mail things early too but I honestly don't know which ones.
>>
>>122756020
Where'd you order?
>>
>>122755806
They should just put a katakana table at the start of every volume.
>>
>>122754286
>Who cares? It's paper.
I will fucking cut you man. NOTHING beats a good book, with nice paper.
>>
>>122755958
Still Stephen Paul, it appears. How does the same guy who converted everything to imperial units then go on to do this onomatopoeia shit?

No editor listed.
>Lettering: Brndn (sic) Blakeslee & Lys Blakeslee
Those names.
>>
I want them to pick up niche titles in which is rare for them especially LNs. One book coming out that comes to mind is Log Horizon V1 LN.
>>
>>122756075
bookdepository.com

They do free worldwide shipping which is good if you're a dirty monkey of thirdworld origin like me.
>>
>>122756095
An old volume of Inuyasha ani-manga, sold it years ago so don't judge I had just put a table at the end of the volume with a list of all the translated SFX. I didn't even know it was there until I finished reading though, and I wasn't about to go check it five times a page.

>>122756158
Oh cool, didn't know they sent stuff out early. I usually just order from B&N or Amazon.
>>
>>122754631
>Honorifics are just a more explicit vehicle through which politeness of tone is conveyed. If you're a skilled enough writer you can localize honorifics through the tone of a character's speech and the nuances involved in formality and familiarity, politeness and rudeness.

That's hard to do with hentai and its limited lines.
>>
>>122756145
I think they pick up anything that has a successful anime, to try to grab the anime-watching audience. Hence why we way back in the day we got Haruhi, and now we get Sword Art Online, Log Horizon, NGNL, Index, and so forth.

Can't imagine why they licensed Danmachi, though.
>>
>>122756265
English publishers are told about unannounced anime plans so they can decide what will do well.
>>
>>122755201
>SAO v1 has a Yen Press icon where all the others have a Yen On icon
No, I don't rike it.
>>
>>122756265
Danmachi is about a JRPG world featuring a main character with a super secret unique skill that makes him amazinger than everyone else and who all the heroines want to fuck, he lives with a cowtits imoutolike character and has the reputation of being the fastest in the world. It's just like SAO.
>>
>>122754286
>Who cares? It's paper.
I do. Good quality paper matters when purchasing physical books, since that's part of you know, the product itself.
>>
>>122753691
>They're more reliable at translating than most fan translators.
If you mean more reliable at producing translations then yeah they're a company doing it for money. If you mean more reliable at producing accurate translations then no from what I've seen at least.

Hold on I'll get an example.
>>
File: fucking dark horse.jpg (296KB, 800x1079px) Image search: [Google]
fucking dark horse.jpg
296KB, 800x1079px
>>122756370
Could be worse.

>>122754286
Paper DOES matter. It shouldn't matter most, but it does matter. It's like one of those pleasant surprises that really improve your overall experience of the product.

In fact, pic related for you as well. As an example, some of Dark Horse's releases have exceptional paper quality. CCS's, in particular, is thick, heavy, and a near-perfect combination of smooth and matte. The paper for their release of Clover was even better.
>>
File: 1338507636152.png (84KB, 238x240px) Image search: [Google]
1338507636152.png
84KB, 238x240px
>>122756693
>the migration of the Dark Horse logo
>>
>>122756158
>bookdepository
I'm kinda hesitant with ordering from them as the delivery is slow, like super slow, 3+ weeks slow. Maybe I'm just unlucky, I don't know. All I know is that my orders from cdjapan with the cheapest shipping option arrived faster even though I made my order on bookdep first.
>>
Does the Yen Press S&W LNs have those 3DPD covers? I'm thinking of buying them but I'll burn my money on something else if I can't get the cute 2D Korbo.
>>
>>122756783
Not him but all my LN preorders from them so far (Haruhi vol 10/11, Index vol 1 and 2, and Danmachi vol 1) have arrived before street date. Maybe I'm just lucky or maybe their warehouse is in the same country as me.
>>
>>122756865
I think the 3DPD is now a coverslip over the original coverart which is what's actually printed on the volume. At least that's how it is through volume 4. Haven't gotten around to getting the rest.
>>
>>122756865
>Does the Yen Press S&W LNs have those 3DPD covers?
They only did that for like the first volume or so, then all the negative reaction made them relegate the 3DPD to optional dust covers, and I'm pretty sure if you buy the first volume now it has the original cover instead of 3DPD.
>>
>>122756370
They did this for Spice and Wolf as well. Starting with 12 they changed logos. At least the spines remained the same layout, I think I can deal with the logo change because of that
>>
>>122756865
I'm pretty sure they've phased those covers out completely. They continued to run them as dust covers up until the fifth book or so but nowadays they don't bother with them at all.
>>
>>122753691
>more reliable at translating than most fan translators.
Bullshit. YP is awkward and localizes everything.
>>
I love Yen Press and am happy that they are bringing light novels to America, hope they get the license for Zombie Desk Car
>>
>>122756029
Well certainly not Amazon, too bad the boonies here don't have a single bookstore.
>>
I want Yen Press devs to leave.
>>
>>122757590
They translated biribiri as biribiri and that is good enough for me.
>>
There is a good chance that Kagerou Days will outsell Sword Art Online.
>>
>>122757590
And in doing so, they actually release a product that reads like actual English instead of the J>C>E shit most online LN translations are.
>>
>>122757971
How is Kagerou Daze? I want to try and buy at least one volume of all the series they're publishing so they'll license more, but the anime was utter shit. Are the LNs better?
>>
>yfw they pick up DxD
>>
If oreigaru gets licensed, then i would die happily.
>>
>>122758297
Yeah no. Come back when they can do good and unlocalized translations like OSO, Taimadou Gakuen, Rettousei, Horizon, Tokyo Ravens, Owari no Chronicle, Yahari and Zaregoto's fan translations.
>>
>>122758700
I see no reason to pick good and unlocalized translations over good and localized translations. If I have to take even a fraction of a second to translate something like honorifics in my head, the translator has not finished his job.
>>
>>122758443
The first volume contains lots of bullying. It's pretty funny.

It doesn't have the problems of the anime and a lot of the content is different. Even the parts where it covers the same events as the anime have completely different details.
>>
>>122758807
>has not finished his job.
Literally YP dev talk. Get out.
>>
Aren't you guys tired of rehashing the same old honorifics vs no-honorifics debate over and over?
>>
File: 1222222231.jpg (67KB, 656x960px) Image search: [Google]
1222222231.jpg
67KB, 656x960px
As long they localize more LNs I don't really mind them.
>>
>>122753691
I like them, especially when they pick up stuff that isn't being fan translated or only has a small amount of volumes that has fan translations. So obtaining SAO:P was great.

When they start obtaining series with 15+ volumes like Mahouka and Index it gets a bit annoying considering how long they'd take to catch up.

Then there is the 1 volume every 4 months issue which is long, it should be 1 at least every 2 months really.

Other than that, their okay.
>>
>>122759143
Shilling pays the bills apparently.
>>
>>122753691
Yen Press is just another Commie tier group. Expect terrible Americanization, only with subtle censorship for loli and underage girls and with faux professionalism and without the intentional trolling and memes.
>>
>>122759340
Once every two months would be too fast even for Japanese releases. No one wants to spend that much money so fast.
>>
>>122759397
We won't know if they're censoring anything or not for another month when NGNL comes out.
>>
>>122759340
It took them forever to get it out, but they've been on point with Barakamon.
>>
>>122759455
You aren't forced to buy them day 1... They aren't going to disappear after day 1 either... and once they catch up to the Japanese release then they can just wait it out? Not much of a problem.

And if it takes you 2 months or more to read a volume then I don't even know anymore.
>>
>>122759563
I think he's saying $12 every other month is too expensive.
>>
>>122759500
They are bound by American law. The best they can do is try to get crap pass the radar, but it'll still be censorship. NGNL will it the worse. Index will probably have it pretty bad as well.
>>
Would you agree that they're better than Seven Seas?
>>
>>122759563
The average American buys one book per year. Six a year for each series they want to read is way, way more than that.
And if you want to actually count for the sales numbers that decide if they drop a series or not, then you do need to either preorder or buy early.
>>
>>122759777
>The average American buys one book per year
Citation needed, and manga aren't books, they're comics.
>>
>>122759663
But the thing is if you want to buy the series, you'll be spending the $12 anyways... Just 2 months later, and you could still buy them 2 months later as it's not going to run out of print in 2 months. So the expense doesn't increase at all.

I for one could afford getting a book every too months, and I know i'm not alone on that.
>>
>>122759848
There's always some occassion for presents and $12 is not that much, at least even a shitty part-time job can cover it.
>>
>>122759777
$72 per year per series.
But you'd still be spending that $72 across 2 years, nothing has gotten more expensive.
And back to my point, those that don't want to buy it ever 2 months DONT HAVE TO BUY IT every 2 months.
>>
>>122759749
No. SSE is better. That's not saying much though since they're more or less mediocre.
>>
>>122756639
1000 hours in MS Paint
>>
File: 2014-12-13+20.07.39.jpg (207KB, 576x1024px) Image search: [Google]
2014-12-13+20.07.39.jpg
207KB, 576x1024px
>>122759749
Seven Seas is alright, they have the opposite problem of leaving too many things unlocalized, like Hime-sama instead of Princess.

Kodansha on the other hand managed to make me refuse to buy anything from them in the future with pic related.

>>122759846
>manga aren't books
I'm sorry, what?

>>122759846
>Citation needed
http://www.statista.com/statistics/220818/number-of-books-purchased-per-year-by-us-adults/
>>
I've only bought 14 Sai no koi Vol 1 from them waiting for more
>>
>>122760009
>unlocalized, like Hime-sama instead of Princess.
What's the problem with this?
>>
Because the degenerates among us will look for each and any excuse to get out of paying for their anime, manga, and related products.
Thread posts: 85
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.