[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Satoshi Kon Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5

File: culturalpaprika-616328.jpg (1MB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
culturalpaprika-616328.jpg
1MB, 1920x1200px
Why'd he have to die so young, /a/?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCs1V6AlPP8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBwTX-923Hs
>>
He could've surpassed most directors if he lived a 3-4 years longer.
>>
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/tales-of-the-industry/2015-02-24/.84253

>“What was the best and worst thing in making this movie?”
>Kon thought for a minute, and said, through our interpreter: “The best thing about making this movie was being here with you all tonight to share it with you.” Cheers.
>And then he said, “The worst thing about making this movie was being here tonight for the screening.”
>>
Satoshi Kon is the shit, basically.
>>
I really liked that he understood and used the medium so well.
I always like seeing directors who can make things that can only really be done in animation, and I wish more people understood those benefits/limitations.
>>
>>121890440
We can all agree he's one of the best anime directors of all time right? Fucking RIP in peace
>>
File: 1370030911384.gif (676KB, 500x282px) Image search: [Google]
1370030911384.gif
676KB, 500x282px
I am dissapointed how he regularly got fucked over by poor source material, Paprika and Paranoia Agent both suffered from this.

Perfect Blue is still his best work, one of the best anime films and fuck Black Swan for copying it, fucking it up and getting the success and fame PB deserved.

What's your favourite thing he produced /a/?
>>
Who?
>>
>>121891437
But Paranoia Agent was Kon's original work.

Anyway, as for a favorite, I can't really say I have one specifically, since each movie is so different. Each one is great in its own way.
>>
File: For you.png (44KB, 245x212px) Image search: [Google]
For you.png
44KB, 245x212px
>>121891573
>>
>>121891437
>Paranoia Agent
>source material

ya done goofed.
>>
Rest in Peace Kon. Too many great people taken. One of my favorite Kon films (and all-time favorite films in general) is Millennium actress. Telling a story through all of Chiyoko's films was a superb way to deliver an otherwise straightforward and basic story. I also loved how he would use shifting colors in the background, such as the color of the sky, to convey a softening of emotion or budding affection.

I take it his last work will never see release?
>>
File: 1423921917417.png (132KB, 595x569px) Image search: [Google]
1423921917417.png
132KB, 595x569px
Do what must be done.
>>
>>121890440
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oz49vQwSoTE

Reminder that Satoshi Kon was one of the greatest cinematographers in the world of anime
>>
>>121891437
>poor source material
God, I still get mad about the ending of Paprika.
>>
>>121891580
>>121891648
Well fuck. I thought it was an adaption.
Sorry Satoshi, but I fucked hated that show.
>It all happened becuase she told a lie
>That ending
Nope.
>>
>>121891886
the ending and reveal were both allegorical you nim. i watched that show in seventh grade and still picked up on that.

maybe you should rewatch.
>>
>>121891819
Atleast it looked pretty a guess.

Huge waste of potential though.
>Can go inside people's dreams
>Most time is spent in the real world
>That ending
>Romance out of fucking nowhere.
Music was pretty good too.
>>
>>121891886
I think is pretty interesting what Satoshin Kon was trying to accomplish tho. Many episodes were Kon's unfinished ideas for movies, that ended up being part of the series (I think the suicide club one was particularly impressive). So even if you didn't like it, have the chance to appreciate some episodes as individual ideas, and not as a series by itself. I think you'll end up seeing something different altogether.
>>
>>121891768
>and, I don't even know what to call this
That's the kind of stuff I was talking about in >>121890940. That shot is impossible in real film/tv even with exorbitant CG budgets.
>>
>>121890940
Exactly.
>>
>>121892125
I did like the suicide ep, not much else.
>>
>>121892095
and at least the dream sequences felt like actual dreams. Fuck Inception for making dreams into shitty action movie scenarios
>>
>>121891724
>I take it his last work will never see release?
It would be the first Kickstarter project I'd donate to if that's what it took.
>>
>>121890940
>I really liked that he understood and used the medium so well.
This really. He knew how to play animation's strengths and cover for its weaknesses.
>>
>>121892529
It really didn't occur to me until I watched Paprika just how undreamlike Inception was.
Aside from the train and the spinning hallway, it was pretty tame.
>>
Only the good die young. Which is actually about prudish girls, apparently.
>>
>>121892141
>and, I don't even know what to call this.

mise en scene.
>>
Is there any other anime directors as good and unique as Kon?
>>
>>121893265
If there are, they haven't been allowed to give it their all or creative freedom
>>
>>121893265
I'd probably say Takeshi Koike would be close. But he still has a ways to go.
>>
>>121893265
A couple of week back, there was a thread on anime directors. And a few of us agreed that maybe Masaki Yuuasa is also a pretty solid director
>inb4 not liking ping pong
>>
I want more Susumu Hirasawa too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lU4R53zyvv4
>>
File: 13797.jpg (32KB, 266x380px) Image search: [Google]
13797.jpg
32KB, 266x380px
>>121893265
Save anime.
>>
>>121893265
Mamoru Oshii works are a mixed bag, but shouldn't be dismissed
>>
>>121893813
Yes, I really rally like him, but I'm talking about something more like Kon.
>>
For some reason I thought he died in 2012. Damn.. almost 5 years already
>>
I was too young to understand Perfect Blue, but my favorite out of all the ones I watched was Tokyo Godfathers.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.