[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this shit ever getting a rerelease? Maybe a Blu Ray release

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 7

File: 511FJN7KBCL.jpg (40KB, 277x500px) Image search: [Google]
511FJN7KBCL.jpg
40KB, 277x500px
Is this shit ever getting a rerelease?
Maybe a Blu Ray release in the future?
How can one of the most popular anime series be completely and utterly out of print?
And how about a proper English master of End of Evangelion since our DVD release looked like ass compared to the renewal version.

Evanjellyun general
>>
>>117419804
Who owns the rights?
>>
>>117419804
>English release like a pleb
>not importing
>not buying second hand for ridiculous prices
>>
I'm not sure if it's even possible to make such an old series blu-ray. They did it with Bebop though so I have my fingers crossed
>>
I think Khara has all the rights now, so maybe bluray after Rebuild is done.

Funimation has talked about trying to acquire the rights, but they're really expensive or something.
>>
>>117419886
It's pretty rare for JP releases to have English subs
>>
>>117419804
Not until after the rebuild is done.
>>
>>117419922
Of course they can, it was mastered on film. Film from the 1930's scanned in HD looks great on Blu Ray.
The only type of anime that we may never see in HD is late 90's/early 2000's DIGITALLY produced anime for which there are now only 480p masters since there was no physical film ever made (think early Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, etc.)
>>
File: 1323321066947.jpg (36KB, 261x260px) Image search: [Google]
1323321066947.jpg
36KB, 261x260px
>>117419922
>I'm not sure if it's even possible to make such an old series blu-ray
>>
>>117419922
>I'm not sure if it's even possible to make such an old series blu-ray.

I hope you realized how fucking stupid you sounded the moment you hit the post button.
>>
How can anyone not own a copy of this series on DVD at least? It was being sold at walmart for 30 bucks just before ADV went belly up. TRSI had it in stock for almost 10 years.
>>
File: 1405816215625.gif (44KB, 711x885px) Image search: [Google]
1405816215625.gif
44KB, 711x885px
>>117420197
because i'm a newfriend and was too young and ignorant when it was still cheap
>>
>There are people posting on /a/ right now who weren't alive when Eva first aired
>>
File: 1356053165577.png (109KB, 685x684px) Image search: [Google]
1356053165577.png
109KB, 685x684px
>>117419804
Can't have a blu ray if the original copy was burned up in a fire. Enjoy your DVD and be glad that you have that.
>>
Probably after final
And lets hope for no digitally inserted Mari on Yui's flashbacks
>>
File: sd.png (134KB, 310x333px) Image search: [Google]
sd.png
134KB, 310x333px
>>117419804
They can shovel it onto a Blu-Ray but it's not gonna look good cause it will just be the DVD collection's quality.

Most of the animation cells are lost so they would have to almost completely re-draw the series and there's no way they're gonna do it.
>>
>>117419922
>>117420091
The fuck you talking about, old anime looks great on bluray if it is sourced from the original cells.
The real reason we don't have Eva blurays is probably because the licensing is a nightmare. Even if Khara owns the Evangelion franchise, they might not have rights to produce the TV series.
Or maybe Gainax lost/destroyed the cells a long time ago so there is nothing worth doing a remaster of.
>>
>>117421197
Not true.

If they have the 16mm film print masters they used for the DVD collection, they can do a proper bluray master.

16mm transfers can look better at 720p than 480p easily.

They don't need the animation cells, unless they were planning on re filming the series on 35mm or digitally.
>>
>>117421197
>cells
Ok, that's not the 16mm film though
There HAD to be multiple copies of the film sent to TV stations for broadcasting purposes.
>>
>>117421325
You only need the cells if you want to re-film the whole series.

Otherwise you would just scan the film master digitally again, at higher quality for the bluray.
>>
>>117421197
>Most of the animation cells are lost
You don't know what cels are for do you
>>
I honestly dont think Ive ever opened my Tin Box the series came in.
Good thing I bought these things back in the day.
I think I grabbed EoE for like 20 bucks on amazon originally.
>>
File: 13.jpg (465KB, 1200x1728px) Image search: [Google]
13.jpg
465KB, 1200x1728px
>>117421327
>>117421340
Oh sure, I mean there has to be at LEAST a couple 16mm's arund somewhere but using the original cells would give it the best possible look.

Scanning the the film and doing it the old fashioned way would look nice remastered but not the best it could be.
>>
>>117421470
>I think I grabbed EoE for like 20 bucks on amazon originally.
That Manga Entertainment EoE release is so shitty it's not even worth owning.
>>
File: Tumble.jpg (70KB, 820x405px) Image search: [Google]
Tumble.jpg
70KB, 820x405px
>>117421518
Are the subs bad or something?
I dont think Ive actually watched the DVD as it's a click away on my computer.
>>
>>117421623
>Are the subs bad or something?
They're not completely horrible, but people have pointed out some mistakes.

The release is letter boxed and DNR'ed to hell. It just looks really bad. It's not sourced from the Renewal release in Japan, like the Platinum boxset is.
>>
>>117421623
It looks like a badly mastered VHS tape
Completely butchered video quality, rainbowing and dot crawl out the ass, etc.
>>
>>117421340
But would they still be in good enough condition to use for a remaster? There is a reason why funis releases of DBZ have gotten progressively shittier, and its because they have been using the same source film for over a decade. An with Eva being such a landmark anime, I'd imagine a lot of those reels have also been stolen, cut up, and sold over the years.
>>
>>117421745
Well, the Renewal release was done 11 years ago.

As long as they followed proper film preserving procedures, it should still be in perfectly good shape.

Criterion does an amazing job of restoring much older film prints, so as long as the people doing it are competent, it'll look great.
>>
>>117421623
Ya, the Manga dubtitles are awful. They mistranslated important lines, ignored other lines, rewrote scenes, and changed some of the SFX.
Not to mention the video quality looks like a VHS rip.
>>
>>117419804
>tfw Italians don't encode everything
>>
wonder how much money adv made off evangelion.
>>
I have also wondered whom the fuck owns the rights. I remember being a young pleb of 16 and thinking the platinum collection wouldn't be worth it and I'd just get a regular box set. Mind you, you still can't get Haruhi S1 in bBongland either, but season 2 is plentiful.
>>
>>117421950
Why are Italian releases special? It's not just for anime, even >3D stuff looks better from Italian BDs.
>>
>>117421623

Those prices for End are really silly. I got my copy for $20.
>>
Anno has them in a vault and he's waiting for Eva hype to reach it's peak with the next set of sequels after 3+1.
>>
>>117419979

>not learning Japanese

Look at this fucking plebeian
>>
>>117421960
Not enough to keep them in business
>>
>>117422123
technically they are still around though.
>>
>>117422001
>I have also wondered whom the fuck owns the rights
I think ADV still has them.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-07-04/funimation-picks-up-over-30-former-ad-vision-titles
They didn't sell them to Funimation here.

Also ADV weirdly released an Elfen Lied bluray in 2013 after they shut down in 2009, which makes me think the company is still alive and holding onto the rights in some form.
>>
>>117422294
God fucking dammit. Why don't they just let go? It's like a corpse clutching a treasure. Also, I want Planetes licensed by some company.
>>
>>117419804
Fucking pussy niggers and wetbacks in a circle jerk cummin on mangas
>>
>>117421623
The most hilarious part about the Manga Entertainment release is that it isn't anamorphic widescreen, they just put black bars on the top and bottom. So if you try and play it on a widescreen TV, you end up with black bars on all four sides. Absolutely disgusting.
>>
>>117421623
Shit nigga I have this boxset. Got it years ago for $50. Why the fuck is it worth hundreds of dollars and who can I sell it to for that price?
>>
>>117422473
Because people are stupid. The DVD is fucking garbage.
>>
>>117422294
Out of the 4 companies that ADV sold their holdings to in 2009, I can't find any information on two of them.
http://aesir-media.com/
http://www.valkyriemediafilms.com/
The other two have lists of what properties they acquired.

I guess it's possible that the rights went to one of those two companies.

The problem with this is that there is no real reporting on this stuff. ANN's coverage was really lacking, since they basically just parrot press releases.
>>
>>117422532
The Platinum release is pretty good. It's not quite at the level of the Renewal release (probably because of the space needed for the English dub track), but it's not garbage at all.

The English End of Eva release on the other hand, is shit.
>>
>>117422617
How is the Renewal release better?
>>
>>117422725
It looks better.
There's just less stuff on the Japanese disc, so more space for the actual show.

I remember seeing some comparisons around the time the [Bloat] release came out, so I'm just going off of memory from then.
>>
>>117422617
http://wiki.evageeks.org/Renewal_of_Evangelion
According to this, the Renewal is on the Platinum version. It just lacks some audio tracks.
>>
When it gets a Blu-Ray, it will have edited scenes and added scenes that force in kaworu and mari.

Mark my words.
>>
>>117421623
>got the Platinum set for $75 4 years ago
>got the EoE DVD used for $15 around the same time

I lucked out.
>>
>>117419922
>>I'm not sure if it's even possible to make such an old series blu-ray.

Gainax did an HD remaster of the TV series and the two movies like 10 years ago (Renewal of Evangelion, ADV called it the Platinum Edition) so it'd be pretty easy to spit out a Blu Ray set.

>>117419804
>>And how about a proper English master of End of Evangelion since our DVD release looked like ass compared to the renewal version.

Fucking Japan. The shittiness of video on the US End of Eva release is some seriously pussyass anti-reverse-importation bullshit.
The fact that Japan gave Manga such a shitty master after Manga paid 3 million dollars for the EoE license is a real slap to the face.
>>
>>117425929
The Renewal remaster was done to 1080i.

It's gotta look really outdated by today's standards.

I would hope they do a new digital scan if they do a bluray release.
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.