[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can a macbook handle 3d modelling?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

File: macbook-pro-no-touch-pad.jpg (88KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
macbook-pro-no-touch-pad.jpg
88KB, 1000x667px
I have to buy a new ultrabook as my main computer. So I'm thinking about the entry level macbook pro 13" from this year (without touchbar). So can i get a decent performance with it with tools like blender or unity?
>>
No.
>>
>>573310
I can tell you it will run for basic modeling and not heavy stuff, or for starters. I've seen some nerds built pretty complex stuff in unity using a Macbook. But I still won't use it as a render machine or rigid body simulations, I'd use a desktop for that.
>>
>>573310
Hi I use a retina 5k iMac, (32gb, i7 4.0ghz) running under windows 10. I never use MacOS on this machine anymore.

Don't listen to the neckbeards who will piss and moan about Macs in 3D, they're fine machines for 3D work, but not the one you have selected. I would not recommend a laptop of any kind for 3D work - you need a desktop for this stuff.
>>
>>573381
The Mac is a dying platform but I give you this. When you come home from the gay bar, and your male pathner sees that you're a PC user, that's a big let down because he may think you're too rational and a cheapskate. He may think you're no fun. But with a Mac on your desk, that's all another story and you get right into action.
>>
>>573382
it must be awful being the kind of person who has extremely strong opinions on other people's computers.
>>
>>573385
Not really because Apple is an extremely evil company which condones and promotes that kind of lifestyle. Same as Facebook, Google, Youtube, you name it. And what are you? An homophobe?
>>
>>573386
>An homophobe
>an
eruotrash detected.

i do agree with you about apple dying though.
not enough games on it.
not enough "outdoors" kids to want to use imovie to edit their gopro vids withshitty dubstep for youtube.
>>
A macbook cannot handle 3d modeling.
>>
>>573310
you're gonna hit the limit real quick on any laptop thats not a "gaming" laptop with rather serious balls
>>
>>573655
A Macbook can and does handle 3D modeling. What it doesn't do is handle OpenCL very well because the drivers are broken. If your applications use CUDA you're fine.
>>
I'm also thinking about the asus zenbook ux430uq with dedicated nvidia geforce 940 mx. Maybe is a better option.
>>
>>573386
>Apple is an extremely evil company which condones and promotes that kind of lifestyle
I'm sorry, what lifestyle? A gay lifestyle? I'm 100% sure Apple will take money from whichever fag gives it to them, gay or not. I've seen more sorority girls with macs than I ever have gay guys desu. Also, get your head out of your ass with the corporate zeitgeist conspiracy bullshit you alt-right nerd.

OP, if you're gonna get a laptop as your main, don't skimp out and get an entry level one. Get one with a reasonably beefy CPU and plenty of ram. Also it's preferable that you get one with an external PCIe slot for eGPUs (iirc, most macs have a thunderbolt port that does something very similar). That alone will significantly improve performance.
>>
>>573310
I went trough architecture university and became a 3d visualizer, I work since 10 years and i always have had a mac. I started with a macbook pro and I worked for 5 years with an Air. Now I have an iMac but at work a PC.
For the architectural visualization a Mac works great: modelling with cinema4d or 3ds on bootcamp is faster than on my work pc. Rendering is ok, postprod is fast.
>>
>>574381
>on bootcamp
meaning you bought something that costs twice as much as a PC for the same hardware, you had to buy and side-load the same OS that PCs use and use the same software PCs use. Why didn'y you just buy a laptop PC instead? Oh wait. Maybe you wanted to signal to people that you "think different". And by different I mean wrong.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (115KB, 1250x508px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
115KB, 1250x508px
>buying a mac halfway through 2017 for 3D
>>
>>574390
b u i l d q u a l i t y
But for real, Foxconn memes aside, I'd rather take an mbp loaded with Windows 10 than any comparable chinktop if only because they actually kind of try.
>>
>>574402
>b u i l d q u a l i t y
Same hardware, same software from same chinese manufacturers. It's all in your mind my friend.
>>
Macbooks are only good about blogging about 3d modelling, and how there's not enough wombman in the field.
>>
Honestly, anything with a thunderbolt 3.0 port and a skylake i5 or greater can into modelling. Some other anon suggested an eGPU, and if you really can't do a desktop setup, that's the only way to go.
>>
>>573310
Yes and no.
Macbooks that have Thunderbolt can plug in an external GPU.
This is the route you want to take if you want to save costs by having only one software license, instead of multiple split between a desktop and work.

In general, Laptop + eGPU costs more than Laptop + Desktop (a both unusual and ironic result), but you can make up for the costs if you have a special situation where having only one computer will save you time and/or money.
>>
>>574731
>>574736
When you haven't had enough uf useless GPUs... Introducing the eGPU! Typical machintosh user.
>>
File: spiderman.png (1MB, 1020x500px) Image search: [Google]
spiderman.png
1MB, 1020x500px
How is a yoga 910 for rendering? Should i just look into a desktop instead? I really want the portability.
>>
>>574828
shit i meant p40
>>
>>573310
MAC no longer has GPUs and dropped support for 3D rendering, you literally can't do this on MAC
>>
>>573385
Apple macs aren't computers, they're fashion statements.
>>
>>573310
3d modeling is too broad, low poly, up to a million triangles or so? sure
high poly extra detailed models with several million polygons? no way, at least not the entry level pro

I work on a desktop but I tried 3d modeling on the fucking Macbook Air I use for taking notes and it worked decently enough, a Pro will handle it just fine. Not sure about the temperature though.
>>
>>574402
There's unibody aluminum and magnesium chinktops too. Only difference is there's no Apple on them.
>>
>>574828
>yoga 910
Even worse than a Macbook, by far. It has a low voltage CPU and no dedicated GPU. If you want portability and performance get like a Clevo, Asus, or an EVGA. If you want desktop-tier performance though you'd need something ugly like a Eurocom.
>>
>>574381
Macbook Pro or iMac?
Currently studying architecture and know lots of people who've burned their Macbooks while rendering huge shit for their finals.
>>
>>576403
I use an iMac 5k. It's great. I run it under w10 99.99% of the time, purely because for Max, but sometimes use Substance Painter over on the MacOS side as the Mac versions of SP are way more efficient than on PC.
I have my viewer settings at 4K all the time, with the machine running at 5k display, and can output everything at 8k/16bit (if I want to) without any problems at all. Under Windows, displaying at 4K is a pain, and Windows will force SP to crash when making hi-res outputs.
Substance is the only thing that doesn't run 100% fine under Windows though.

If 3DS Max was available for MacOS, I would have absolutely no need for Windows.
Maya, Zbrush, Substance, 3D coat, Fusion360, Modo, Marmoset, Unreal.... all available for MacOS. Quixel Suite will be available next year as well.

But yeah, only go with an iMac - do not touch apple portables.

And now, let the peanut gallery of shut-in alt-right keyboard warriors and Russians who are still mad at the world for being unpopular at school and/or being born in Russia commence screeching their 'stop liking what I don't like!' chorus.

'Triggered', as they would say.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.