[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alright so I don't want to get into a discussion about which

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 2

File: 1446605380909.jpg (68KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
1446605380909.jpg
68KB, 800x450px
Alright so I don't want to get into a discussion about which package has the best tools or workflow or whatever...
Which traditional modeling package fucking crashes the least?
>>
In my experience blender. A specific version of Maya crashed the least a while ago but the newer and older versions crash every 5 minutes.
>>
>>572446
My favorite Maya crash right now is the "right clicking, at all, in the material editor might cause this" crash.
>>
>>572445
The one that runs on a computer that wasn't overclocked.
>>
>>572445
blender only crashes on me if i'm using too many volumetric sources.
other than that it literally never crashes.
>>
With the new viewport, gamedev will be much nicer, at least. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6p2g1xFJJQ
>>
I use Max daily and it crashes only if I REALLY fuck up.
>>
blender is pretty dang stable, I'd suggest getting 2.78.5 in the daily builds to get that sweet new shader.
>>
>>572445

3ds max (legal one) crashes every 200 000 verticles. the shit forced whole company to literally turn everything boxes.

we got maya for animations. lost 2 times all project files because the shit crashed and corrupted all files on a back up for 2 weeks until it came out. we had to hire programer to keep it from doing such shit.

blender crashed on old computer system we had. but only because people forgot to reduce verticles and just went to full scene with millions of verticles.
the new updated computers run this shit most stable. we got it crashed only once when new guy played with renders.

sadl the blender is still behind the autodesk shit so we have to run all by autodesk. beside modeling dep. those guys are all zbrush and blender.
>>
>>572470

have you seen new render they are developing to replace cycles?
>>
Max crashes on occasion when I do something weird in it but overall I'm happy with the stability. Just make sure to save often and optionally in increments
>>
Cinema 4d is also pretty stable. Plugins can crash it, but I've not seen this very often.
Blender is also very stable for me. Unless you use Renderman for Blender, then Blender behaves like Maya (endless random crash-potential.)
>>
>>572480
this jumble of words is completely wrong
>>
>>572482
Which version?
>>
>>572482
I'd love to go back to Max but my options right now are "cheap" or "legally free" and there's no indie Max license yet. Regret not buying a permanent license when those still existed, even if I'd be stuck on 2012 forever.
>>
>>572509
>mfw still using 2012 in 2017
>not having to worry about subscriptions
Get rekt nerd.
>>
>>572482
this, i use max, maya and houdini. max only really crashes consistently when trying to do a stupid number of particles in pflow (100k+) without doing any sort of partitioning

maya on the other hand is a different story. becoming skillful at maya is partially about learning about how to work around its bugs, which is frustrating initially but worth it for me at least

houdini is really pretty stable if you don't go past your ram and page file limit (lol)
>>
>>572515
100 million+ woops
>>
I'll add to what other people have said about Max; you almost know exactly what causes Max to crash when it crashes.

It usually involves going too overboard or crazy with something & the program not being able to handle it.

I haven't random bugs happen for many years; IT USED to be really bad though. Like so bad you almost had avoid every other version, because if the last one you used was stable, the next one was a shitshow no exaggeration.

I'm using 2016 right now & haven't had a problem with it that I didn't understand.
>>
>>572445
Max rarely crashes for me, so it's what I use. I use 2017, in case anyone was wondering. Maya with rigging and the continuous need for deleting my history is retarded. I don't know about Blender. I would assume it's somewhere in the middle of the two.
>>
>>572445
3DS? Never used it
Maya? Never crashed on my, then again, I rarely used it as it is.
Blender? Doesn't always crash, but it can if something goes wrong, or a file takes too long to load. Hell, I've had it crash on me on several occasions for reasons I'm not even sure of.

Then again, I have PoS computer with no graphics card and 8 gigs of ram. So that's probably a contributing factor right there.
>>
>>572481
The Eevee shader's not replacing Cycles. It's just another alternative.
>>
>>572481
i don't understand why BF why so hastily making EVEE for muh realtime

no one asked for a realtime viewer. literally no one. they just decided to make something that is useless to most people. not only cycles is not on par with vray. but evee will have to compete with marmoset which is ridicules.

i wonder who is steering the wheel on these crazy ventures
>>
>>572545
its open source so anyone really

also realtime is very useful when you're making a large scale animation. pixar's usd view, disney has their optix based thing etc. K-2SO from rogue one was even rendered in a modified build of unreal engine so they could frame shots on set.

bf likes to follow the trends of the industry to make industry software

also with marmoset theresmuch to beat honestly
>>
>>572546
there isn't much to beat**
>>
>>572546
that's crazy. it doesn't make sense.

rendering a high resolution frame isn't a big deal anymore. and you still have the issue of fur and displacement. so you want to either go down 60fps or have to compromise quality.
cycles needs at least 500 samples to render a single asset + HDRI while Iray is good with just 250 samples. there should be more work on cycles at this point
>>
>>572548

you clearly don't understand what i meant
>>
>>572548
i dont even know what your counter argument is supposed to mean
>>
>>572549
i said there is no need for a realtime engine. i personally worked with UE4 and i can tell you that blender will never reach its realtime capabilities. its a fucking joke
>>
>>572551
the primary use case is literally visualization. its a higher quality viewport so you don't need to spend render budget when you're doing huge projects. you can also use it to approximate shaders to go into game engines. using it as an alternative renderer is just a side effect. lighting and animation are just much easier when you can fully approximate shaders instead of relying on tons of test frames and guesswork
>>
>>572548
There is more work done on cycles, are you living behind the moon?
If you can't see how Eevee is useful, you are either an idiot and don't know shit or your whole point is motivated by your hate for Blender.
Either way its 100% YOUR problem.
>>
>>572451
this
also you don't have problems with volumetric lightning in blender except the fucking fireflies or messed up renders
>>
>>572509
>>572514
>legally free
is the student license still too sketchy for you?
>>
>>572445
More ram = less crashes.
>>
>>572778
Yes.
Not afraid to pirate shit and I spent 3 years using pirated Max but license is a question that has already come up so it's out of my control. I'm 3 months from the end of an LT license right now and it has turned into the most crash-happy POS so I need a change, even if it's Blender or something.
>>
>>572808
coming from 3DS max, Blender is genuinely pretty decent.

I miss the bells and whistles now and then but I really appreciate how reliable it is.
>>
>>572482
3ds max is the 'industry standard' and it crashes more than blender?!!
>>
>>572445

If you want a reliable car, don't buy a Ferrari, buy a Subaru.

My point is; all 3D applications crash. Get used to it. You're not using a fucking word processor or playing minesweeper here - you're using pretty complex tools that are based on pretty experimental programming theory, and that also don't exactly go through a shitload of testing before they reach the consumer anymore.

Picking one 3D modelling application over the other because you heard it crashes less is like picking a Porsche over a Ferrari because you heard it gets better mileage. All supercars drink fuel like crazy, all 3D apps crash. Deal with it.
>>
>>572445
If you push the software the possibility of a crash is there. And sometimes you push it without knowing any better.

That being said, I personally prefer Maya. I haven't tried blender that much. But I can complete an animation project with maybe a crash or two until I narrow down what causes.
>>
>>572886
damn straight

you little punks need to save more often
>>
>>572545
Eevee is a godsend for anyone that works with Substance and they're working on more compatibility with Unreal and Unity. The material work they're doing is wanted by a large amount of the community and by doing it right they can get a lot more people using and contributing to Blender. Being able to see the same materials in Blender as you'd see in Designer or UE4 without building your own awful spaghetti of nodes is something I look forward to.
>>
>>572886
>all 3D applications crash
Due to buggy drivers for expensive video cards and kids overclocking their PC.
>>
>>572886
Hmm yes this explains why Maya ends its own life when rightclicking in hypershade.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.