[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does UV unwrapping for simple architecture blow dick?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: Logo-1080p-620x500[1].png (175KB, 620x500px) Image search: [Google]
Logo-1080p-620x500[1].png
175KB, 620x500px
I know it's a tired topic, but for real. Hammer did it right and SabreCSG does it even better. Check this shit out:

https://youtu.be/30vZD4TdImM?t=2m38s

https://youtu.be/b64lKqbbaUM?t=1m46s

Why should I not be able to do this in Blender? Why is there no interest in developing a plugin that works along these lines? Why am I still marking seams on simple geometry?

Actually, I'm not. I'm using Valve's Hammer for DOTA 2 to model simple shapes (currently working on a level for a very old game that requires a lot of restraint in terms of polycount and texture size). I would use SabreCSG because it's even better, but Unity sucks for working with huge unit counts and SabreCSG ends up bugging the fuck out and leaving the grid. Then I just export as OBJ (UVs are carried over) and load it into Blender for more precise control over normals. And that's about it, export right into the game.

Why is this approach not more popular?
>>
>>571784
skp could fill this niche so easily if google saw the benefits of integrating UV mapping into the product. New plugin WrapR is pretty exciting and looks to do what needs to be done.
>>
Hidden surface elimination done BY HAND in 2017. As pointed out in the second video, in '94 we had tools that did that for free, automatically and robustly on a Pentium.
>>
File: washing machine.gif (3MB, 256x199px)
washing machine.gif
3MB, 256x199px
>>571784
It's crazy how backwards level design feels nowadays. Brushes just felt like much more streamlined and designer friendly way to build world geometry. I think that when Unreal Engine became popular people got this idea in their head that brush based geometry was a thing of the past just because UE's level editor tools were so horribly unoptimized and unstable. The truth is Epic are a bunch of lazy fuckers and instead decided to divert their criticisms instead actually bother to address their broke ass tools.

It's sad when your million dollar game engine has worse tools than a game that came out in 1996.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-1pM55k4WM
>>
>>571850
Trenchbroom wasn't available in the early 2000 but gtkradiant was and it was based on the original in-house editor Romero wrote to make the whole game industry his bitch.
>>
stop being a lazy cunt and unwrap your objects

you probably don't even know that you don't need UV's in order for a texture to be projected. i made an entire scene from just using degree based projection on models, if its just like simple shit (walls, things with uniform structure etc).
and i do that in blender.
>>
>>571878
I often read you young twinks on this board telling other people to "just unwrap it" or "just retopo it". And you're missing the point. You should never need to "unwrap" or "retopo" if your modern community-enhanced tools did suck cock.
>>
>>571880
i don't use community made tools for unwrapping or retopology.

if you want level editor style of texturing use UE4 base materials. but you will always be limited to what you can with it.
in cycles you just pull up a texture, connect it to texture coordinate node (generated) and it will project your texture automatically. add a mapping node in between to tweak it a little bit.

you can then copy those nodes to other materials and make texturing sort of easy
>>
>>571882
>it will project your texture automatically
On a single surface. There may be on the order of 10k surfaces on a game level.
But that's the core of the Blender Foundation's propaganda. They say you can do anything, but you die of a million cuts on your way there.
>>
>>571884
then you need to rethink your design.
if you want to copy block for block simply duplicate linked.
environment design isn't fucking lego. there should be forward thinking and efficiency in every step of the way. if your scene is running under 60fps it means you are doing something wrong somewhere
>>
>>571893
>you are doing something wrong somewhere
If you're using Blender, that's for sure.
>>
File: 430.png (39KB, 200x200px)
430.png
39KB, 200x200px
>>571896
look at this salty nigger everyone.
whats up? you are mad that blender isn't a lego simulator so you just give up?
if you want a lego simulator use unreal editor,blender won't magically fill every autistic need you might have.
>>
>>571899
Blender doesn't fill any need actually.
>>
>>571900
good. i want you to switch to 3ds max. matter of fact ill be happy if all of the blender users here will switch to 3ds
>>
>>571850
>think that when Unreal Engine became popular people got this idea in their head that brush based geometry was a thing of the past just because UE's level editor tools were so horribly unoptimized and unstable. The truth is Epic are a bunch of lazy fuckers and instead decided to divert their criticisms instead actually bother to address their broke ass tools.

So much truth in here. I wouldn't know if Epic are lazy fuckers, but UnrealED always did somewhat suck.

The only good thing about UnrealED's approach (in comparison to Hammer and others) tools was subtraction. Resizing a room was incredibly easy in comparison to having to move each wall around individually. Damn near everything else blew cock. For example, simply resizing a brush in UnrealED 3.0 requires selecting individual vertices and then pulling them along - they only fixed this in UDK, though it was still nowhere near Hammer's workflow.

Now that aside. The most annoying thing "counterargument" against CSG tools is "BSP is outdated and slow". But we're not talking about BSP for fuck's sake. The mentioned DOTA Hammer applies the same brush-based approach from earlier hammers but you work with meshes. No BSP. You can do anything you want. You can delete faces. And most importantly, you can UV in a matter of seconds. Unfortunately, I still don't really see any advanced control over normals, but hey, just export to OBJ, touch it up and bring it back in if you're working on DOTA or bounce it to whatever else you're working on. It's so goddamn fast.

I've tried TrenchBroom as well, but unless I missed something, Hammer and SabreCSG are better at texturing.
>>
>>571878
Listen up you double nigger. Fast =/= lazy. Fast equals getting more shit done in less time.

Yeah I know I don't need UVs for texture projection. And I know of a few ways to do it in Blender. I also know:

1) That it's not nearly as fast as Hammer.
2) I need UV maps for what I'm working with. I don't care what it looks like rendered in Blender if I can't carry it over into the game.

Your non-argument has been addressed several times by several people. Don't be a fucking luddite. You have a misplaced pride in doing shit the hard way. Nobody is gonna congratulate you on that.
>>
>>571893
>environment design isn't fucking lego.

In a level design context, a huge (and arguably most important) part of it is literally fucking Lego - you're attaching shit to shit and you do it long enough and you've got an environment. With flexible tools, you can be very fast with your Lego and experiment a lot which will result in a polished level that you can proceed to decorate until your balls shrivel. With slow tools, you're far more likely to keep things simple and iterate less if you hope to meet a deadline. Blocking your shit out is the most crucial part of the process, everything else is just decoration.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.