[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

using blender render. Is this about the maximum depth that can

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 2

File: FoHgqje.png (258KB, 523x497px) Image search: [Google]
FoHgqje.png
258KB, 523x497px
using blender render.

Is this about the maximum depth that can be achieved by having a bump map from black to white and pumping the influence of normals in the texture to 5? Or is there some other way to get more depth?
>>
bump node in cycles give you control over height in preview mode and render mode
>>
>>568631
Math node should let you get more bump. ..
>>
>>568631
Using the internal renderer in 2017 LUL
>>
>>568790
I have to say going back and looking at elephants dream. .. internal can pull off some beautiful renders in the right hands. Plus it is shiz tons faster than cycles.
>>
>>568790
internal is really convenient to do certain stuff.
you can test specular and toon stuff quickly
>>
>>568790
I FUCKING HATE NODES.
Who the fuck finds that shit intuitive?
>>
>>568875
Nobody likes node and nobody find them intuitive or useful. That's why Blender relies on nodes so much.
>>568631
What you're looking for isn't normal mapping. Use several level of simple subdivision and then the displacement operator.
>>
>>568875
you can control stuff in blender internal but only to an extent. you can't use math node or curves which is important to controlling materials.
honestly fuck the standard shaders, give us the uber shader already. we suffered enough
>>
>>568877
>we suffered enough
If you use blender it means you want more.
>>
>>568880
i gotta thank the community for being alert and putting out things we needed for free

with all the features that blender already have, its too late for me to jump ship.
>>
>>568824
I hate to tell you but in my opinion those "made with blender" movies were actually made in maya and then imported and rendered into blender. I think it has always been that way based on the fact that they put way more effort into the rendering part than the modeling part of the software.
>>
>>568881
Now if only all those features weren't bugged and they didn't make your projects die by a million cuts, that would be interesting.
>>
>>568883
conformation bias basically.
lots of kids get frustrated with 3D and switch programs all the time.
one thing i learned is that if you can't google your way out of problems you will most likely to be shit either way. iv come across many problems in blender but i managed to remedy all of them.

if anything bugged is autodesk products. i hear that it crashes like 10 times a day and you have to save alot. blender almost never crashes until you begin rendering a huge scene. and it has a such a vast array of tools you could make a movie with it.
maya people can always argue that maya is better at animation. but does it? you really gotta do your homework nigga
>>
>>568888
>it has a such a vast array of tools
Quantity is not quality. Blender is not quality.
>>
>>568894
well if you can prove that the tools are not of high quality id love to discuss further
>>
The whole >blender
meme is just something blenderfags will continue to deal with until the end of time.
It won't matter if that movie gets made, or if blender produces the next big thing, or anything else.
First impressions mean a lot, Blender didn't give a good one when it originally started getting some attention. It will forever remain >that program
Learn to ignore the shitposters.
>>
Blender advocates always use the same tactics and they happen to be the same Pulseaudio advocates use.
You don't like our software? It's because you haven't tried it enough. Just like anal sex.
Is our software buggy? No, it's because you don't know how to use it. They bully you into wasting more and more time on their "free" stuff. Too bad people's time isn't free.
Blender is an iconic case where the first time you look at it, you can already tell none of the people who make it actually use it.
>>
>>568895
Let's do the opposite. Prove to me Blender doesn't exist just so people who use pirated copies of Maya can claim they made their stuff in Blender.
>>
>>568899
Blender user here, I wouldn't call myself an advocate though. I suggest people use Max or Maya more than I do people use blender.
It's always you elitist faggots who tell them to use whatever program you use.
Try every program you can pirate/download/whatever, pick the one that you like best. That's all there is to it.
>>
>>568905
I've been using Blender on and off since the first GPL release. It was a bad back then, it's very bloated and very bad now. I use it because it's all I have, not because it's any good.
>>
>>568906
Did you even read my post? If blender isn't working for you, STOP USING IT. Go pirate Max, Maya, Modo fucking XSI for all I care. Just stop bitching about something that you can easily fix yourself..
>>
>>568907
I won't pirate anything. I just want you to stop perpetrating the meme that Blender is good or that the next version is going to be awesome. It's not, it's not going to be.
>>
>>568882
I don't think you know what you are talking about. Look at all of the blender foundation movies. .. literally all done in blender, ps, gimp, krita, with the exception of some 3rd party soft Foley work.
>>
>>568900
why would they use pirated copies of maya?
you can go to the blender cloud and download all the files for the short films they made.
how can you even have such ridicules thoughts is beyond me

>>568907
blender is working for me. but the thing is autodesk probably wouldn't work for me. a program that crashes 10 times a day and saving dosen't even save your files or some shit. plus you have to unironically use photoshop to texture which is sad.
you even get more bugs with every iteration of your software. i know some people that use 3ds 2014 because 2016 have a particular bug that crash their program, so much for the good life?
>>
>>568907
How do you even pirate Maya? I've been searching but haven't been able to pirate it
>>
>>568906
What are you comparing blender to?
>>
File: Clipboarder.2017.06.21.png (42KB, 608x465px) Image search: [Google]
Clipboarder.2017.06.21.png
42KB, 608x465px
>>568631
Did you know that you can type in any arbitrary number on virtually any slider by clicking on it?
>>
>>568911
Sorry friendo, the "blender sucks" is also a meme.
Blender isn't the best software. But it's good enough. Stop blaming your lack of skill on it.

>>568936
Can't know until you try. If blender works for you, good for you.

>>568937
Dude what. You clearly haven't been searching. Even pirate bay has this shit. Just wait for the next CGPeers opening and grab it from them.
>>
>>568936
Also on the note of 3ds crashing, I've heard lots of good shit about Modo, so maybe try that.
>>
>>568950
i hear 2017 versions are fine. but yeah modo is certainly something to look out for
>>
>>568948
>Blender isn't the best software. But it's good enough. Stop blaming your lack of skill on it.

it's not good enough. it's good enough for most people because it's free. even people with lots of skills struggle to get around blender's clusterfuck of a menu system.
>>
>>568959
Stop projecting. Blender is fine.
If you can make a goddamn movie in it, you sure as hell can do whatever autistic piece of shit you're making in it.
>>
>>568972
>If you can make a goddamn movie in it
You can't. But you can make it in Maya, then import it into blender and pretend you made it in Blender.

>>568948
>Stop blaming your lack of skill on it.
That's another example of Blender Foundation's thinking: it's not Blender that's bad, it's that you're not good enough for Blender.
>>
>>568979
Ur so much butthurt lmao
>>
>>568979
listen m8. this isn't the 90's anymore.
other packages have evolved to the level of maya anymore, you are still stuck with archaic thinking of early 2k where maya was truly the only option.
programs evolve every year in significant ways. just because maya did it first doesn't mean anything. its like comparing honda to toyota.
>>
>>568986
have evolved to the level of maya and beyon*
>>
Which "package" has evolved "to the level of maya and beyond"? Certailny not Blender. Or are you one of those guys who thinks that there isn't much difference between Gimp and Photoshop?
>>
>>568992
photoshop is 10 times better
that's just the open source fallacy. krita is comparable to SAI paint tool. its even better
>>
>>568979
>You can import it in blender and pretend you made it there
Holy shit the autism on this guy.
>>
>>568995
>that's just the open source fallacy
No. It's the color managing functions that Gimp lacks that makes unuseable in professional enviroments.
Blender has similar flaws and they're due to the fact that no professional use those tools. As I said it's pretty clear that not even the developers use those programs.
>>
>>568995
>krita is comparable
Krita is comparable to ebola.
>>
>>569008
but you have no evidence to these claims.
if you had actual proof that top tier blender artists switch to maya i would be with you, but it never happens.
the worst of the worst is artist switching to vray/corona from cycles.
if what you were saying was true we wouldn't have works of comparable quality. since the final result determains the quality of the tool.
if you want to argue ease of use, then fine. but it doesn't mean that with maya you just just casually jumpin in as a beginner and everything is perfectly understood. a program with 10,000 options is never easily understood
>>
>>569018
>if you had actual proof that top tier blender artists switch to maya
I've never said that. I've said that in my opinion most of the work some corrupt people at the Blender Foundation claim has been done in Blender, has actually been done in Maya and then imported into Blender.
>>
>>569018
>program with 10,000 options is never easily understood
A programs with too many options is faulty and should not be used or understood. It should be fixed.
>>
>>569024
stop resorting to punchy short sentences. explain your position and show evidence of things instead of speculation.
>>569026
literally what the fuck
>>
>>569024
Seek help. You've lost it.
>>
>>569034
If only Blender had an help system with documentation in it, like proper software has had since the Amiga, then I could seek help, but as it is with Blender I would have to buy books and tutorials.
>>
>>569047
He was the best of trolls, he was the worst of trolls.
>>
>>568876
cycles nodes however are very useful and very intuitive.
>>
>>568882
fucking lol

of course they weren't, you are just another maya fanboy
>>
>>568979
>You can't. But you can make it in Maya, then import it into blender and pretend you made it in Blender.
Suuuuuuuure you can. Last I checked, ..ma files were Myaya exclusive. So unless the Foundation's hiding something we don't know. I'm classifying you as butthurt.

And don't give me that "But Blender can import/export .FBX" bullshit either. It's a crapshoot as to whether or not it'll work, and it usually doesn't.

>That's another example of Blender Foundation's thinking: it's not Blender that's bad, it's that you're not good enough for Blender.
There's a difference between being clueless about using Blender and being clueless with CGI in general. Sure the layout is a complete clusterfuck (this coming from a longtime user, btw). But like all things you get used to it after a while. It's called a learning curve, all programs, including Maya, have them. Some are just steeper than others.
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.