[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>he follows tutorials >he can't touch a vert without

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

File: you tried.jpg (152KB, 989x600px) Image search: [Google]
you tried.jpg
152KB, 989x600px
>he follows tutorials
>he can't touch a vert without someone telling him where to move it, how to merge it, how to split it, where to slide it
>he quits after two hours until next month
Tell me about him, /3/
>>
Who are we talking about?
>>
>>565788
Literally me.

I've just moved from Autocad 3D to 3DMax and I don't have a fucking clue about where are the buttons.
>>
>>565790
its like blender but with every option put in a menu to cover as much as screen space possible.
>>
>>565793
Max fag here, you're not wrong
>>
>>565857
I'm using the tutorial from the main page. Where can I get some juicy tutorials about the position of the buttons?
>>
>>565866
This pretty much covers it all

https://giancr.com/en/new-keyboard-shortcuts-for-3ds-max/
>>
>>565793
>>565857
Max has better modeling functionality than blender. But yeah max is a huge cluster fug.
>>
File: hand.png (32KB, 147x164px) Image search: [Google]
hand.png
32KB, 147x164px
>>565788
isn't the hand its own mesh/not connected to the arm usually?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5Wsy0b-ksE
>>
>>565953
>Max has better modeling functionality than blender.
literally citation needed.
The tools are exactly the same.
>>
me before amphetamines
>>
>>566095
Better controls upfront, smooth groups, modifiers on subselections, a shitton more default modifiers, parameters when creating and modifying existing primitives before turning into plus, better alignment tool, etc.
>>
>>566140
I am not even fan of blender but

>Better controls upfront
thats not a tool,thats a personal preference.

>smooth groups
Has them,and what is FBX
https://twitter.com/tonroosendaal/status/485431565447868416

>modifiers on subselections
what are vertex groups

>a shitton more default modifiers
as opposed to +50

>parameters when creating and modifying existing primitives before turning into plus
you have the same 3 seconds in blender

>better alignment tool
yeah personal preference

Dude just get good at your job,seriously stop blaming tools.
>>
>>566163
>thats not a tool,thats a personal preference.
Blender outright doesn't have parameters for certain transforms and functions.

>Has them,and what is FBX
Marking edges isn't smooth groups. For one it's a clumsy solution when you have to select an outline by hand when you could just grow a poly selection and it doesn't let you subd/turbosmooth by groups like smoothgroups does. I'll believe that they have working a fbx exporter when I'm using it.

>what are vertex groups
Only modifiers that accept vertex groups work with vertex groups and it's an unnecessary complication in workflow.

>as opposed to +50
Max has like a ~100. Though that's also because it has more breadth as a program

>you have the same 3 seconds in blender
Really? I've been using blender for a while but I still can't seem to find the segment controls and exact size parameters for a box.

>yeah personal preference
Max simply has more options for which part of the object you're using to align, not really a preference thing.

I like blender, especially since it's open source, but a bunch of workarounds for things that are a snap to do in max doesn't make them equal. Tools should improve your workflow. Also, Epic donated 13k because of that one lead artist who uses blender, and he even admitted he'd probably the only one who actually does use blender. It's nice that he does use it but he's the exception.
>>
>>566200
>Blender outright doesn't have parameters for certain transforms and functions.
yes it does. and why would you need parameters all the time? its not like you work from an engineer sheet
>For one it's a clumsy solution when you have to select an outline by hand when you could just grow a poly selection and it doesn't let you subd/turbosmooth by groups like smoothgroups does.
yes it does, you just have to tick a function. but blender devs took something simple as smoothing groups and made it complex. you have like 4 different ways to smooth an object and none of them correlate with eachother.
>hough that's also because it has more breadth as a program
if you could list some functions that blender hasn't maybe we start a real discussion going.
>but I still can't seem to find the segment controls and exact size parameters for a box.
you need to have the left side panel open
>Max simply has more options for which part of the object you're using to align
align to what? align locally or the world? on axis? as relative to a grid?
>>
>>566209
Can i cut into a curved surface and have Blender align these new vertices to the curve?
>>
>>566224
if you do it with an object. i don't think it can be done with a mesh but it might be a possibility.
>>
>>566231

Swift loop with this option is an gods end, its an one click solution for a "problem" which you have to adjust by hand in blender.

Same with Set flow, a function which does something similar, adjusting a face/edge/vertex to the flow of the surrounding surface.

These are just 2 things i found and i am not even a Max user.
>>
Is it worth following long tutorials for modeling like this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90MmFiTgNfA

I created a couple of models by following one course from Digital Tutors, but I realized I actually can't model anything complex on my own yet. Even if the object I'm trying to model is similar to what I created with tutorials, I am struggling with topology and I don't know how it should flow.

E.g. I made this TV by following videos:

https://www.digitaltutors.com/tutorial/1228-Quick-Start-to-Modeling-in-3ds-Max-Volume-4

But now I can't make this radio even though they have similarities. I don't know how to properly create holes, how to make those buttons etc.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/5b/f4/b2/5bf4b20e8847a200ec7b12f2877ca281.jpg

What's the best way to learn and practice this? Follow more tutorials until I figure it out??
>>
>>566310
absolutely not. its just a waste of time.
you can watch tutorials for things like characters or guns that require alot of special techniques but with things like houses its simply repetition.
once you know a technique and how you should approach things then its time to model your own stuff
>>
>>566209
Does Blender have Swift Loop? Cause I use swift loop all the bloopin time and it's a huge time saver to keyshortcut it and get a highpoly with ease.
>>
>>566375
yes. its called loop cut and slide.
but its enabled by default. if you want to set the loop to an area you just add the loop and enter value on keyboard
>>
>>565788
Me in every way possible. Stuck in tutorial coma. Too much of a pussy to start my own project. I watc h the hell outa tutorials, but its a test to make me do my own shit.
>>
>>566375
Yes. CTRL + R.
>>
File: asas.jpg (115KB, 898x581px) Image search: [Google]
asas.jpg
115KB, 898x581px
>>565788
tell me about it.
>>
File: Sans titre-1.png (363KB, 769x1050px) Image search: [Google]
Sans titre-1.png
363KB, 769x1050px
>used to model 3 hours a day
>now i can barely model for hour a week
>>
Fuck me I could name a million people. I used to tutor for my uni's animation department, and that involved being in the intro 3D class helping along side the professor, and assisting students as well as helping out anyone in any level when they needed it.

I get that people just starting Maya would have some issues, but some people would just not get it. One person in particular would just not think about what they're doing.

>Making a trash can? Take a 20 x 20 sphere and cut the top off and start pushing verts in and out, instead of just starting with a cylinder base.
>Deletes the default lambert because she doesn't like the grey instead of just making a new shader
>Renders at 4K and confused why it wasn't rendering as fast as a game does.

People can be real retarded Imma tell you what.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.