[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Discuss.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 4

File: Houdini Thread.png (16KB, 520x520px) Image search: [Google]
Houdini Thread.png
16KB, 520x520px
Discuss.
>>
Dude I love the Dreamcast.
>>
>>564034
I was thinking about learning it this year.
>>
>>564034
Not enough resources to start learning it on my own. 20 Maya tutorials for every Houdini tutorial out there.
>>
>>564034
Only have experiences in Maya and Houdini. Would pick Houdini every time if I got a choice.
>>
Shit, try-hard software that belongs in the bin.
>>
>>564066
Lol
>>
>>564052
>>564058
Sounds like you two should talk
>>
Learn VEX. Then learn node placement. Procedural modeling is the future.
>>
I would like to learn it. Coming from Rhino & Grasshopper I'm familiar with node based and procedural modeling - or is it parametric modeling?

I mostly do Archviz and want to move to UE4 and I'm intrigued by the plugin Houdini has got for that. Just not sure if it would be a good Archviz tool.

Grasshopper has so many plugins and so much control, so even if it's a bit slow at times because of Rhino 5 not able to use more than one cpu core, I think it's superior for architectural purposes.

I also don't even know 3dsmax, so learning Houdini feels somewhat intimidating. On the other hand I'm very interested in creating some visual effects for renders but I feel I should maybe learn C4D first...

I have so much on my to do that I can't really commit to learning one particular software.
>>
>>564110
VEX is so fucking powerful its actually hilarious.
>>
>>564110
how the fuck do i learn that pls?
>>
blender is better
>>
>>564159
this. literally anything thats free and open source is 10x better than this or any jewware
>>
>>564110
This. It's insane how much you can do and how fast you can do it in Houdini.

Look at this shit:
https://vimeo.com/195580569

>>564158
Tutorials and/or documentation. Go to the usual places and get some decent tutorials on it.
>>
>>564159
LOL Blenderfags don't even know silver from shit
>>
>>564177
greatest troll in this thread
>>
>>564184
So finally somebody has invented the 3D version of shitposting.
The human brain is extremely good at detecting procedural stuff and ignoring it. Because it's essentially noise and an advanced form of data compression. John Carmack explains it best in one of his keynotes.
>>
>>564264
Carmack is a meme and a known thief
>>
>>564264
But he's right sometimes.
>>
>>564270
>got caught stealing apple II computers as a youth
>got caught again a few months ago stealing VR intellictual property and fined $500 million

http://www.pcgamer.com/john-carmack-posts-angry-response-to-zenimax-lawsuit-loss-on-facebook/

he's just not a good guy, def not /our guy/
>>
>>564272
I'm glad he stole the Apple II and it's not the first time he gets sued. Creative sued him for the "Carmack's reverse" years ago.
Another guy who shares his opinion is Blender's original author.
>>
>>564274
>namedropping blender
anyone who would sell to Ton gets no respect from me
>>
>>564264
There are many many ways to do procedural generations, some better than others. Not all procedural generation is the same.

Also get used to it, modelling tools have not been keeping up with the increased demand of detail and quantity. Won't really be a choice in the future.
>>
>>564393
Who's demanding increased level of detail and quantity?
>>
>>564394
Literally everyone, you lowpoly hipster faggot.
>>
>>564406
so, nobody? Look at the Nintendo Switch breaking all sales records. Graphics are worse than ever,
>>
>>564410
Are you retarded? Who ever took Nintendo as anything modern? Might as well make sudoku a benchmark for phones, a lot of people play that, so it must be important. Neck yourself, pleb.
>>
>>564414
>my argument was proved wrong and now I've stooped to hurr durring and tired memes
>>
This is something people already learned the hard way in the '70, when some people thought that given enough LSD, fractals could be mistaken as art.
>>
>>564410
>>564416
Your point is?
Because Nintendo makes shitloads of money with cheap stuff graphic quality everywhere else doesn't goes up?
>>
>>564394
>>564410
>>564416
>a small section of the videogame market which in itself is a small section of the whole 3D market doesn't use top of the line assets
>this means demand is not increasing anywhere

You're retarded.
>>
Where can I learn VEX and Houdini?
>>
>>564458
How is a stylised visual representation of a mathematical equation not art?
>>
>>564607
I'm not sure about VEX and Houdini, but ur mom taught me a lot of things
>>564608
Because it's mathematics
>>
>>564607
There's a few introductions to Houdini around, also from Digital Tutors. Check the usual places.

For VEX, there's a CGWorkshops tutorial on it that seems pretty good, again check the usual place, it's there.
>>
>>564607
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iow7iAnaVyI
>>
The mention of proceduralism always gets the shitty artists autistically screeching like nothing else. They hate it because they know it will replace them.

A good artist can't be replaced by procedural modelling, a shitty one whoever can be rendered superfluous (you still need an artist, but you don't need 5 of them anymore, only 1).
>>
>>564710
I disagree with your opinion and I think you may be a homo
>>
>>564710
you have to be over 18 to post here
>>
>>564607
SideFX themselves have a bunch of tutorials on their website.

Other good tutorial things I'd recommend is Peter Quint's vimeo account, the Go Procedural vimeo account, and this Houdini tips and tricks type wiki: http://www.tokeru.com/cgwiki/?title=Houdini
>>
>>564610
>Because it's mathematics
>>
>>564640
>click link
>"HELLO THIS IS PAJEET WITH TECH SUPPORT HOW CAN I HE-"
>close tab
>>
File: 1480362831784.jpg (9KB, 226x225px) Image search: [Google]
1480362831784.jpg
9KB, 226x225px
>>564868
Yeah, because you're retarded. Rohan's tutorials on Houdini are some of the best, and his pidgin english is hardly bad, you can perfectly understand everything he says, actually his voice and accent have certain charm while watching technical Houdini trickery.

But yeah, you're retarded, there's no point in watching ANY vex video, you just wouldn't be able to comprehend it.
>>
>>564898
>cant find actually useful tuts anywhere for slowdini
>the only reason you would ever want to use it anyway is if your realflow license ran out and you needed to show a cutscene of someone stepping through water or getting rained on, not even your core gameplay or core movie
>can find literally thousands of tuts for maya, literally every game and movie uses it

Makes ya think
>>
>>564899
Arguments which are not based on actual reality are not much of arguments.
>>
>>564901
what I posted is literally impossible to prove wrong because its all fact
>>
>>564902
On SideFX website there is almost 1000 video tutroials for Houdini.

Houdini is used non-stop in Hollywood movie productions (recentlly Boss Baby, Guardians of Galaxy 2, Arrival bla bla bla).

You're an idiot.
>>
>>564903
I know this is the houdini general, but you are really shilling too hard. Those tuts are crap. They use houdini for 2 minutes for rain. Its sad, really. Sidefx promotes the hell out of it, like any company would. An analogy would be its like if you live out here in Hollywood and you start a job as personal trainer. It doesnt matter how jacked you are, or how massive you are but how many clients you can keep and retain. Most clients wont even want to train hard, they just want someone to talk to and be their friend.

This is what sideFX has done. The old bait and switch - HURRR DURRR ITS THE END FOR EVERYONE ELSE. Go suck a dick, faggots. Maya and blender 4 life.
>>
File: tumblr_ng6mznaWfk1qaqh4xo1_500.jpg (41KB, 445x427px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ng6mznaWfk1qaqh4xo1_500.jpg
41KB, 445x427px
>>564904
It's a tool, and there are tools better suited for one kind of work, and there are tools better suited for other.

Sure, Maya is 10x better for char animation, and it's standard pipeline tool, but if you need for example wrinkled FEM sim you'll spend 10x more time in Maya, Houdini is much more robust, fast and customizable for that kind of task.

Your argument about low quality of Houdini tutorials opposed to Maya is total BS. 80% of Maya tutorials on Youtube are also shit, done by retards (or payed one for that matter). There are a lot of tutorials on SideFX web to give you good foundation in Houdini.

I guess you have problem with Houdini learning curve as is, so you're projecting it to quality of Houdini tutorials, usage of Houdini in industry, implying that it is slow (while in many cases it's just the opposite).
>>
>>564904
>Maya
Trash for anything but animation, and even there it's just mediocre because it's so fucking unstable and buggy. The only reason people use Maya is because other people use Maya, literally a meme program. At least mention Modo or something, that's genuinely better than Houdini at modelling.

>blender
Oh so you're baiting, got it.

Bait notwithstanding, the strength of Houdini is how absurdly flexible and powerful it is. If you just want to model an M16, it probably isn't the best choice (though it definitely can do it no problem). When you start getting into VEX and proceduralism you strike the real gold, and then it's not a case of Houdini doing things better than other programs, it's about it actually being able to do it at all, while the others can't. I've never seen someone who has learned Houdini (not just done a pair of hours of intro tutorials) that doesn't swear by it.

[spoiler]There's VFX too which is what it was actually made for but I rarely see much VFX talk on /3/.[/spoiler]
>>
>>564903
Maybe that's why Hollywood is dying. Maybe people got tired of looking at fractals.
>>
>>564914
Most people just go onto youtube for OC
>>
>>564910
>>blender
>Oh so you're baiting, got it.
blender is not "bait" you fucking idiot. Hell, you're probably being paid to pimp out this shitware
>>
>>564898
Anon that originally asked here. I appreciate it. Can't wait to dive in this weekend.
>>
>>564034
i just cant seem to get a grip on e basics of how houdini works with that nesting fucking system . so ill stick with autoderp
>>
>>564916
blender is awesome. and is getting moar robust every update. the cycles renderer is amazing and makes mental ray look like shit, not to mention crushes its render times
>>
>>564927
Who uses mental ray lol (not dissing Blender, idc, but why bringing up mental ray)
>>
Fantastic program.
Steepest learning curve for anything I've ever seen ever.
>>
A grand majority of this board would be incapable of learning Houdini and would hide behind "oh X does EVERYTHING better!"
>>
>>565400
I enjoy hand made MS Paint drawings more than procedural 3D graphics.
>>
>>565400
yep. Those guys for example:
>>564159
>>564177
>>564410
>>564902
>>564916
>>564927
>>565417
>>
>>565423
Yeah, basically one samefag who got frustrated because he couldn't understand Houdini and now he spreads hate on image based message boards on Internet using non-truths as arguments.
>>
>>565436
Or maybe it's one shill agreeing with himself
>>
>>565449
The VFX industry is all just one big shill agreeing with themselves
Thread posts: 65
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.