[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Modo

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 6

File: maxresdefault.jpg (467KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
467KB, 1920x1080px
Does anyone here use Modo? Is it worth all the hype? I'm thinking of switching but I hesitate. Can anyone give me some advantages and disadvantages it has over Maya and Blender, the programs I currently use?
>>
>>563810
why not maya fag
blenderfagg here
switch to maya in future when Im not a fag
>>
>>563810
Let me ask a question before i answer your question.
What do you do with Maya and Blender?
>>
>>563813
I use it mostly for hard surface modeling. What I don't model in Zbrush I do either in Blender or Maya + I use Maya for rendering with V-ray and rigging characters. And I don't animate
>>
>>563816
Ok, then. Modo is a great Modeller and well suited for Hard Surface (if you can dig the flavor/style of Modo)

It is more advanced than Maya/Blender in terms of modelling, but like Blender it chokes on heavy scenes.
Its not as crashy as Maya, but Blender is more stable.
DESU i can't go very deep with my criticism and comparison cause i used it only for 6 months and decided its not really for me (learning Max now, also using Blender and C4d).

But if you feel dissatisfaction with modelling in M/B it could be an improvement.
>>
>>563829
Modo user here, how is it more advanced than Maya? And what made you quit?
>>
>>563835
Imho it's more comfortable and easier. I found Maya always way to messy to model with. Personal preference, same with Modo.
I am doing mostly low/medium poly game assets.
I found Blender + HardOPs to be MUCH faster than anything i can do in Maya/C4d/Modo, so i model primarily in Blender and when it fails i switch to Max.
I also quite dislike Modo's UI. Not the way it looks but the way it organizes stuff. Lists everywhere.
Recent versions are unstable for me. Modo 11 doesn't even run on my Win7 machine.

It comes down to personal preference. I love modelling in Blender in fullscreen using only shortcuts and pie-menus. Its superfast.
>>
>>563840
Op here. One of the few reasons I still use Blender is because of it's modeling speed. I wanted to switch to Modo because i want better tools and workflows and better integration with other software and I heard that Modo can do that and it's supposed to be as fast as Blender. Are you saying Modo is slow as far as modeling goes? Cause that would really make me sad. I really want a legit good program that models as fast as Blender does ffs
>>
>>563843
Every other program uses one click more for one operation. So no program is as fast as Blender technically. BUT if there is one thing you can't do in Blender you have to use a workaround etc. others might pull ahead.
So if you do 300 easy operations nothing will beat Blender.
If you do complex stuff Modo/Maya/Max will be faster.

For example in Max you can cut into a curved surface and it will interpolate inbetween the verts and creates the curvature for the cut (if you want it to).
In Blender as far as i know you have to do it manually.

Back to Modo. Vanilla version does not have a lot of shortcuts, to get it really fast you have to customize it.
Modo is not slow per se, but its not very fast either.
>>
>>563810
Used Modo since the beta test, bought it around 101, continued to use it till 601? After Foundry transition I lost interest, I don't use their software because they are a hostile company.

I use Maya and Blender too, more and more Blender though, but need Maya for animation but not much else.
>>
>>563852
Fwiw you can assign custom hotkeys to any action in Maya
>>
>>563861
Yeah, I get what yiu mean, I heard some pretty fucked stories about foundri. That being said, I worked with Mari and is an excelent program so I was kind of hoping Modo is the same.
Anyway, I certanly can do my stuff with my Zbrish/Maya/Blender pipeline but I got some crappy bugs, export issues, modeling bugs, lack of Udim and a few other problems really made think of letting go of Blender
>>
>>563901
>>563861
Just pirate their shit and you have a clear conscience.
>>
>>563901
>Udim
I dont do texturing but doesn't Blender support multiple UV maps on a single material?
What is the difference?
>>
MODO sucks. The Foundry is a sinking ship... mock my words
>>
File: 2123432.png (668KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
2123432.png
668KB, 1366x768px
i use MODO.
>>
>>564350
>one tire has bigger poly count than the whole car shell
wew
>>
File: 3242352.png (732KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
3242352.png
732KB, 1366x768px
>>564354
>subdivision.
i still modeling car shell. That why low poly
>>
File: 21421Final Color Output0001.png (874KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
21421Final Color Output0001.png
874KB, 1920x1080px
>>564354
>>
>>564357
nice
>>
>>564350
That fucking grid plane
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.