[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is animation so fucking frustrating? How can I even fail

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 7

File: sheeeet.webm (250KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
sheeeet.webm
250KB, 800x600px
Why is animation so fucking frustrating?
How can I even fail a simple walking animation?
How do I improve this shit?
>>
Cause you don't know the basics.
>>
>>563270
this

start with pencil+paper and a book on the basics work from there
>>
>>563268
mocap it. literally noone animates by hand anymore.
>>
>>563268
Don't listen to these tards. Real simple, film yourself from the side and front doing the thing your character is, use the footage as background and animate over it.
>>
>>563271
>>563268
Not even. He could learn all of this without utilizing 2D and just learn through professional 3D tutorials. Hell, he could even learn all of this from Youtube animator tutorials. It doesn't even look like you're using curves OP.
>>
>>563268
Needs more line of action, the head moves independent of the body too much. Poses are too weak Study the Preston Blair book and plan the key frames out in 2D first.

You should just do a regular walk loop though. Curves will be easier to understand and it's clear that you are already having problems with them.

>>563275
There are some people that can animate 3D without doing a 2D roughs but I notice that those people's strengths are in subtleties mostly consisting of inbetweening tricks rather than in poses.
>>
>>563273
This.
>>
File: weightwalk.webm (186KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
weightwalk.webm
186KB, 960x540px
>>563268 (OP)
>How can I even fail a simple walking animation?
that's not really even a "simple walking animation". weight is tough to pull off, so what you're animating could hardly be considered simple.
i didn't even get it entirely right in this webm, also didn't spline because i'm lazy.

but work in stepped first if you aren't already.
focus on making good poses, then get the timing down.
then add breakdown poses in-between your key poses, get the timing down again, and repeat until you think you're ready to convert everything to spline.
use reference if you're unsure of how something should look.

also that rig fucking sucks, anon.
i'd honestly recommend using something with less controls if you need to. it has what, 4 spine bones?
>>
>>563287
nobody whips their head around like that
>>
>>563288
It's animation. Most of the animations you see, nobody does in real life.
>>
OP here, thaks y'all for the helpful tips, Im going to apply all of them to my next animations and figure out which one does it for me
>>
>>563292
in that case why is everyone in the thread saying to do mocap
>>
>>563271
No need to actually do pencil drawing to get good but learning about the principles of animation from 2d animators is not bad, it all carries over.

The animator's survival kit is a gtreat source of animation knowledge.

Learn the theory before anything, youtube videos will show you how to make a walk cycle but if you dont learn the theory or basics you will always handicap yourself.

Serious this is what i did for a long time before i finally got into the basics and a lot of it became much simpler and more manageable.
>>
>>563304
The Animators Survival Kit is might be useful for CG animation because it consists mostly of inbetweening tricks, It's pretty overrated and useless for coming up with poses which is what animation really is about though. Preston Blair's animation book explains animation better because it is about poses and solid drawing, not fancy inbetweening tricks (look up line of action, and silhouette, OP).

OP should just do a regular walk loop, there is too much going on when the guy is holding a heavy object and that's gonna get you even more lost when you mess around with curves.

I also recommend drawing key poses beforehand so you actually know how to pose your character. True some people don't draw what they animate in 3D but those people are really good with curves and know a lot of inbetweening tricks, you don't.
>>
>>563274
This. Trying to animate without reference is like trying to draw the figure without looking at photos or anatomy guides. Once you have some mastery eventually you don't need reference as often.
>>
>>563321
Like i said his book is great to learn the basics. He doesnt go into much artistry but he does put you in the right direction.
>>
>>563298
Raw mocap looks like shit and requires tuning. And people who do mocap usually act in exaggerated motions to convey certain things. Like wild head bobbing while carrying a heavy object. When someone naturally carries such an object it isn't entirely apparent that the object is heavy.
But what do I know I've just been studying animation of all kinds from stop motion to flip books.
>>
>>563273
except no. you're wrong.
>>
>>563288
That one little nigger boy does, what's his name
>>
Why you wasting time on this? It's a dead industry with much competition
>>
>>563504
>he says while posting on a board dedicated to a dead industry
the irony
>>
>>563273
>learn animation principles through mocap
kys
>>
>>563273
This, only tryhard don bluthe wannabes animate normally. Just mocap and snip the animation curves so it loops.

You really think a studio is going to spend 100k on a guy who animates everything or 60k on some cucko who can mocap faster and produce better results in a smaller timeframe. Time is money kiddo

Odds are who ever is selling you animation is jewing you which is basically everyone. Know that education is at least 1-2 years behind the industry if youre lucky
>>
>>563565
is mocap used in cartoons too?
>>
>>563273
>>563565

Literal DeviantArt autists without any experience. How are you even giving advice, when it's you who needs some? Jesus, the people on this board.
>>
>>563569
no... keyframe animation is alive and well
>>
>>563565
You think the animators at blizzard making Overwatch are mocap monkeys making 60k a year to crop anim clips? Or do you actually think animation principles are redundant now that we have mocap? Do you believe realistic animation is better than stylised animation?
These are of course just rhetorical questions to point out how fucking stupid you are. Stop giving bad advice.
>>
>>563421
>I've just been studying animation of all kinds from stop motion to flip books.
Lol, not a real education obviously
>>
>>563268
I love how the realism fags here are saying that animation is a dead end career when realistic modeling can also easily be automated.
>>
>>563565
>Just mocap and snip the animation curves so it loops.
>snip the animation curves so it loops.
what did he mean by this
>>
>>563656
if you don't know how to snip animation curves perhaps your penis is what you should snip
>>
File: mocap.webm (3MB, 628x356px) Image search: [Google]
mocap.webm
3MB, 628x356px
>>563569
>>563582
>>563597
>>563656
time and money. saved.
>>
File: scientist.png (353KB, 1007x418px) Image search: [Google]
scientist.png
353KB, 1007x418px
>>563789
mocap is a blessing to animators, like photography was to painters, we will finally stop trying to reach a realistic result and produce more stylized animations like pic related.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KteCPHOc2ko this mofo is every animator wet dream.
>>
>>563795
When I saw Chester V's smile I knew it was going to be good. But holy shit, yes.
>>
File: Toy.webm (319KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
Toy.webm
319KB, 480x360px
To do ANY animation, you need to film yourself for reference material.

Why not jump straight to mocap to begin with?
>>
>>563268
To get back into the original topic of OPs work, animation is frustrating if you don't enjoy studying movement, principles of animation, acting and other related skills. It isn't for everyone and can be very time consuming to get presentable, we don't get a perfect animation we just get an approved shot and move onto the next shot keeping up with deadlines.
>>
>>563268
>>563922
I don't think you are failing, it's a good early attempt but you are trying to tackle too much on inital animation passes. It is easier when you simplify and lock down your keyposes with good silhouettes, lines of actions and weight shift/tracking weight bearing.
>>
Also regarding mocap, I think it should be kept far away from any beginner. It isn't a magical capture and use solution even though it is an excellent tool. Mocap data is very keyframe heavy and needs planned adjustments to improve the actors movements while not drastically straying away or damaging the flow of intended action. It is great for capturing the subtle details, movements, jerks, poses that happen though.
>>
File: 1478699446798.png (362KB, 744x694px) Image search: [Google]
1478699446798.png
362KB, 744x694px
> muh mocap
> muh mouse

Wacom tablet

fight more ya lil cunts
>>
File: UWmcpFk.webm (2MB, 670x698px) Image search: [Google]
UWmcpFk.webm
2MB, 670x698px
>>563873
Exaggeration. Gotta make it appealing

Here is another one
http://i.imgur.com/mK9ZmYP.gifv
>>
>>563268
Walking is actually one of the hardest things to animate. It's pretty deceptive how difficult it is to get right.
>>
>>563789
Sure anon. Just go out and buy an entire motion capture studio. Should cost a couple hundred thou. And then you just have to polish everything by hand. Perfect for small projects.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.