[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm a freelance illustrator that does digital paintings

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

I'm a freelance illustrator that does digital paintings and I plan to learn a sculpting software to create models for light and perspective reference. I have a decent grasp at modeling low poly stuff in Blender and I'm thinking to learn either zbrush or 3dcoat in addition. There's this meme in the concept artist community that 3dcoat is better for painters like because supposedly 3dcoat has a more intuitive UI. Is there some truth to this? Zbrush seems to be more industry standard. I'm also playing with the idea of turning my digital sculpts into resin kits in the future, and zbrush seems better for that aswell.
>>
you can also texture your models in zbrush. but if im not mistaken you can only use polypaint and then export the polypaint map after you are done unwrapping.

you don't want to unwrap and paint anything in zbrush anyway. so i do recommend the zbrush/3dcoat combo.
>>
>>563173

I meant painting as in digital painting not painting textures. I.e. that 3dcoat is easier for digital painters to learn sculpting with than zbrush. Sorry for the confusion.
>>
>>563167

3d coat has better painting tools. Based on texture resolution not polygon count. You can customize the zbrush ui however you want but people dont do it because they are lazy. Like the other anon said I would learn both. I use different features of both of them.
>>
>>563176
zbrush is the ultimate sculpting program

it has steep learning curve. but if you used zbrush only it shouldn't take too long
>>
>>563167
I heard you can also paiint in photoshop and theres an app called quixel for photoshop.
seems pretty good
>>
>>563167
Spoilers: all cg software has horrible UI and starting a new program sucks no matter what you are learning. You will have to do an intro course for either one and it will take about the same amount of time to learn. So don't worry so much about the UI.

ZBrush gives the best results for sculpting without question. If what you care about is sculpting detailed and accurate models quickly then that's your choice. It's also got far more resources online in terms of tutorials, assets, discussion etc. To make something like this plain wax looking dragon model, ZBrush would be the way to go.

3d Coat is a good choice because of its integrated PBR texturing. If you want to do something like lay out your scene with shiny, rough or metallic objects and accurately capture what that looks like to get your illustrations started, then it could be more useful for you. 3d Coat is cheaper than ZBrush which counts for something. It's also updated more frequently these days.
>>
>>563167

3D Coat is easier for just about everyone to learn. But Zbrush has more features, but if all you're doing is creating lighting references for 2D illustrations then 3D Coat is plenty fine.

You don't need to make fully detailed models in order to create lighting and perspective reference renders.
>>
>>563167
before you use 3Dcoat you must vow to remain chaste and descent and swear allegiance to Jeezus Krist. If you don't you will be thrown in the seventh circle of hell. Also if you model demons or naked women.
>>
>>563167
ZBrush is:
-More expensive
-Best suited to starting completely from scratch on every model
-Worse texture painting kit but you can supplement it with something like Quixel or Substance
3DCoat is:
-Cheaper
-Has a more familiar interface if you already use 3DS or Maya
-Has a less developed sculpting kit
-Fairly good at many different styles of texturing, including ones that Quixel and Substance aren't that great at like hand painted (WoW-ish) style textures. Any Photoshop layer style can be used in 3DCoat and it has a decent brush engine.
-You have to build a basemesh beforehand, which is fine if you prefer the fine control of a conventional modeling suite while making your basemesh
-There's a message you agree to on first launch that basically says the developers will get mad at you if you model anything un-christian
>>
>>563167

LOL.

What asshole bolted some Dragon parts onto a skinny dog then tried to convince people it's not shit?
>>
File: disconcerted_scarlett_johansson.jpg (65KB, 1280x768px) Image search: [Google]
disconcerted_scarlett_johansson.jpg
65KB, 1280x768px
>>563399
Yeah it doesn't look anything like a REAL dragon. He clearly needed to use real life references.
>>
>>563399
/3/'s finest, lads.
>>
>>563399
It's obviously flexing in a sick ass pose. As if lifting it's upper torso and neck while ducking up its abdomen+puffing chest to breath fire.
Dyel bro
>>
>>563399
Fuck, lmao. Those wings
>>
>>563399
how does making a non-traditional dragon automatically mean it's shit? Assuming it's even intended to be a dragon.
Only problem i see is a lack of muscles for the wings.
>>
>>563475
>non-traditional dragon
Early illustrations of dragons get fucking weird honestly. Seen plenty of dog-like ones but I can't find any right now.
>>
This was supposed to be attached to that >>563485
>>
Correct me if I am wrong but isnt 3Dcoat for texturing only? Also love ZBrush for texturing though.
>>
>>563493

Ur wrong. It sculpts with voxels, the same thing God used to create the world in 7 days.
>>
>>563493
3d coat is the best retopo solution on the market
>>
>>563522
>Maya - Quad Draw, does everything that Substance does... amd it even has extrude thing with Tab that is the game changer...
>>
>>563487

That dragon has the same look on his face as my pupper when I leave to go to work.

"Don't go! Stay and play with me all day!"
>>
>>563523
>doesn't understand how to use greentext
>>
>>563522

I can't wait until they roll out the polygon fill function so you can just lay down your important edge loops manually and then it will fill in the rest automatically.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.