[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cycles render in almost realtime

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

File: Blender-Cycles-Render-12.jpg (78KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
Blender-Cycles-Render-12.jpg
78KB, 960x540px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1pC7dNS0hs&feature=youtu.be

Seems like the video shows an experimental build, though it's meant to go into 2.8

What do you think?
>>
useless. unless you can use in blender game engine
>>
looks like shit
>>
Problem with all these GPU based realtime solutions is that you have to optimize your scenes for memory/polycount, not as bad as if you were making a game but similar.

For a lot of real world applications, keeping your scene small and snappy actually eats up more time in the end than just not worrying about it and crunching it out on a fat CPU in the end.

Same with those Unreal Engine demos and so on. Try the same thing not with a relatively empty interior but an exterior with grass, plants with thousands of leaves etc. and your RT engine will choke on the amount of textures and polys. Then you can either spend days optimizing everything so it runs faster or spend one night rendering it the oldschool way.

At least that's my personal experience doing Archviz with Vray, I never use RT because it can't handle my scenes
>>
>>561098
>sun shining trough the windows
>still have lights on
>>
>>561128
have you tried Redshift?
I mean I'm new to this all, and I don't have much experience with big scenes, but from what I've heared it uses normal ram so it does not need that much optimisation.
as what I have used it's very good and easy to use.
>>
>>561130
fuck off al gore i'll waste as much energy as i please
>>
>>561128

After looking aroud for more info, I think that what has become realtime is not cycles itself,, but the preview port only.
>>
>>561109

Careful with that edge
>>
>>561098
pretty fast
>>
>>561109
It's a mirror
>>
>>561130
the light comes from a sudden nuclear explosion obviously
>>
The old Radiosity option in early versions of Blender used to work like that, then some asshole decided to remove it and now they're re-implementing it.
>>
>>561139
>template butthurt reply
sorry to hurt your feelings :^)
>>
>>561098
Cool,at least now I dont have to test the same thing 10 times over in Cryengine.
>>
>>561128
My archviz projects in UE4 can sometimes go well over a couple million polys on screen and I have no problems doing it RT with a few hundred lighting bounces.
>>
>>561098
fuck those right handed desks...nice render though
>>
>>561098
The final render looks really unimpressive like you could easily make something that looks better than this in real time with Unreal Engine 4.

Cycles was a mistake and killed Blender development, now it's lightyears behind the competition because the devs wasted all their time to try and make their own "me too!" renderer with Cycles when it's blatantly obvious that no one with half a brain cell would ever EVER use Blender to render a movie with.

Not only that, but now real time engines like Unity, Unreal, and Cryengine are becoming popular substitutes for fast real time film making and pretty soon as hardware gets faster real time renderers will be able to compete with the old guard of Renderman and Mental Ray.
>>
>>563770
The render in OP's image has very boring lighting but at least it has global illumination. The UE film doesn't and it looks very "video gamey".
>>
>>561131
They are all the same and you can "realtime" with any of them if your GPU has enough VRAM, don't be swindled.
>>
>>563770
luckily blender is still a good software even when most of the resources going into cycles.

>it's blatantly obvious that no one with half a brain cell would ever EVER use Blender to render a movie with.

i disagree. despite blender shortcomings (cycles,baking,layout etc) its still very convenient to have all of your production work into 1 file (because of the video editor and compositor).
>>
>>563802
The video editor is shit.
The compositor is useless for everybody who needs a real compositor.
Which idiot would use this instead of NUke/Fusion/Resolve?
>>
>>563832
>The video editor is shit.
ok ill accept this since people usually use sony vegas and premier. but i wouldn't call it outright shit, it looks promising.
>The compositor is useless for everybody who needs a real compositor.
i personally used it, its great (at least for me). it does lack effects tho
>>
>>563842
If you ever feel dissatisfied with Blenders compositor, give Fusion a test-run.
>>
>>563832
Blender's video editor is the best I've ever tried. You just don't know how to use it. It's possibly the only good part left in Blender after the tranny programmer community from the Gnome Foundation's OPW program played a numeber on it and a lot of other open source projects.
>>
>>563885
Actually it's pretty shit, it works shit on large res files, even if you use video editing codecs. The only positive part of it is that you can use it where virtual dub fails, at exporting in other formats.
>>
File: ppz.gif (288KB, 515x386px)
ppz.gif
288KB, 515x386px
>>563885
>It's possibly the only good part left in Blender after the tranny programmer community from the Gnome Foundation's OPW program played a numeber on it and a lot of other open source projects.

u w0t?
>>
>>563893
Lennart Poettering is also a secret evil tranny.
But seriously try the readiosity function in blender-2.37a (which is my favorite version) from 2005 and you'll be depressed at how little they did in over 10 years except moving buttons from one panel to another.
I blame all of that on evil trannies and Lennart Poettering.
>>
the guy messes with the ambient occlusion but forgot to even check it on.
>>
>>563885
Then you didn't tried enough.

>>563896
This is the guy responsible for PulseAudio?
Well, you are right, fuck him.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.