[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Stupid Questions Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 333
Thread images: 63

File: SQT.jpg (77KB, 450x257px) Image search: [Google]
SQT.jpg
77KB, 450x257px
General or stupid questions
since don't see any on catalog
>>
In the baby steps of understanding how to go about creating a "game".
I want to eventually make an educational kind of textbook program. If I need to make assets for this program does that require I create them in a 3D program or can I accomplish this with just a game engine like unreal?

>P.S. VR if that makes a difference.
>>
>>559922
you need assets externally then place then in engine.
you can download them everywhere, just google it.
you are in lack because the internet is full of assets, and most unity devs are afraid to spend money on anything so its become a trend to make games with free assets, this is why the success rate for any new game is less than 1%
>>
>>559923
Well this sounds promising, so I won't be needing a 3D program? Meaning I'm on the wrong board right now. My program only requires repeating patterns of polygons and textures, nothing like a human.
>>
>>559924
yes just google whatever you need
there are sites for textures as well.

you might need to learn how to attach textures to models or even UV unwrap, but that's not alot to remember
>>
>>559925
Thanks friendo.
>>
>>559921
I have a textured house in Substance Painter 2. It has windows. I want to export that shit to UE4.

Substance spits out an RGBA file where the alpha channel supposedly maps into the opacity channel on UE4. In UE4 however, the material itself has its opacity and opacity mask channel grayed out. When I switch the material mode to Blend, the opacity mask channel lights up, but connecting the RGBA file to that channel does nothing, my windows are still completely opaque.

How the fuck do I link an RGBA file to UE4 to make my windows transparent? It's driving me nuts.
>>
>>559930
you need rgba node and connect it to the alpha of the texture

a more simple method is just making transparecy texture and using it with opacity output
>>
is there a rule of thumb for when in the pipeline I should bake AO (assuming I want total baked AO rather than real-time)?

Do I do in blender as I model? or Substance Painter as I texture it? or in the game engine after everything is done?

is there a reason I would choose one over the other? or should I be baking it multiple times over itself .... ?
>>
File: fire_VP8.webm (283KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
fire_VP8.webm
283KB, 320x240px
how do I get rid of this spherical halo ? It's Maya dynamics with default renderer.
>>
File: adadad.png (357KB, 588x606px) Image search: [Google]
adadad.png
357KB, 588x606px
>>559921
How do I disable the outlines on zbrush?
>>
>>559938
the AO is usually baked with the normal and world space and position/thickness

if you are baking highpoly models this should be obvious. but if not you can bake AO with only a lowpoly model, in blender is quite easy. just create a new texture have UV's and bake ambient occlusion
>>
>>560065

Might be because of the material you are using.
>>
File: file.png (47KB, 443x681px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
47KB, 443x681px
>>560025
>>
>>560025
Add the glow in Post. Use a different renderer.
Looks like your time scale or gravity is off btw. That bounce is way too slow.
>>
>>559921
Anyone here knowledgable in low/mid-poly stuff? Characters with about 2000-4000 tris, PS2-3 era. I need some good examples for rigged characters who have a well made topology with correct limb bending when animated. If someone knows a game with good meshes, professional posts or any other good ressource i can look at, please help me out.
>>
Can you recommend me videos that cover creating low poly characters in blender subject?
Im totally new to 3d modelling.
>>
Does using blender make me a pleb?
>>
>>560172
no
>>
File: 1324401266954.gif (44KB, 725x503px) Image search: [Google]
1324401266954.gif
44KB, 725x503px
>>560162
all i have is this
>>
I'm trying to find some literature on digital 3D but most of the books I can find are guide books. I'm looking for something more about the history and theories. Any good recs?
>>
>>560179
digital 3d as in 2d -> 3d conversion?
>>
File: Screenshot_20170412_185901.png (24KB, 780x650px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170412_185901.png
24KB, 780x650px
Does this topology need fixing and if so how do I fix it?
>>
>>560183
Yes, a few things, do this >>560178 at your joints. You working too high poly making life hard for yourself, get the shape you want and tapoligy then if you need to add more loops. Finally your tapalogy should "flow" it's good practise, by this I mean the loop you have going vertical are V shaped ATM, they should be a nice straight or consistent curve.
>>
A long time ago (mid 2000s) I learned Maya and was ok at modelling. Since then I'll open Maya now and then and do a quick little project.

I'd like to get back in to it and Blender sounds nice nowadays but is it worth learning when I already know the UI, tools, and workflow of Maya?
>>
File: 22_marmoset.jpg (342KB, 1600x1600px) Image search: [Google]
22_marmoset.jpg
342KB, 1600x1600px
I used to know maya basics enough back in 2003 to make rudimentary player models for UT2K4.
I have been a blend fag ever since but would like to hop back into Maya.
I've just installed 2017 and am completely lost. Or seem to have forgotten everything.
Any suggestions on basics or a crash course re-intro to maya?
Best I can manage right now is to navigate the viewport and basic move/scale/etc.
>>
>>560204
why would you ever use blender if you don't need to
>>
>>560249
buckle up buttercup. this one takes you through almost everything in the program
https://www.digitaltutors.com/tutorial/2535-Introduction-to-Maya-2017
>>
>>560204
Unless you have a specific reason to use blender (selling stuff/job that needs it), I'd say use maya, but it's ultimately up to personal preference, and there are plenty of people that are very good at 3D that use blender.
>>
What are Blender's faults?

I'm mainly using it so far because overall, it's easy to use and I actually love it.
but on the other hand, I tried 3ds max and zbrush and I don't get the UI at all and their fucking modifiers/tools etc.

I feel like I'm missing something.
>>
File: Desktop 04.13.2017 - 00.07.37.01.png (790KB, 1458x836px) Image search: [Google]
Desktop 04.13.2017 - 00.07.37.01.png
790KB, 1458x836px
How do you pull down a face to make everything curve down in fusion 360? [tried turning off history and pulling down, nothing only can extend the face]
>>
Asking here because I don't want to make a new thread
I want to make cute cartoons like pic related

What I understand from https://youtu.be/j9oq1m33bzU?t=1m11s I would need to render both the model, and the face and inside circles on the mushroom separately, and join them together during post processing.

I basically want 3d models with easily animated 2d faces.
something like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_O2cEw8I4g sorry

Which software can I use for making animations like that? Is there something that doesn't require post processing for adding those 2d animations?

Lightwave is expensive, but not out of my reach, but I probably wouldn't use most of its features. I don't see people talking about LW here, so I'm not sure what people think about it in general.
>>
>>560308
>What are Blender's faults?

hmm i would say blender biggest problem is baking, its just fucked. sometimes you do everything right and it just tells you that you haven't selected anything or have any texture and sometimes it just works, its embarrassing how bad it is. luckily there are free baking solutions.

other than that its a fine program. you can just fuck around with it for weeks editing videos and animating or whatever the fuck
>>
>>560327
>Is there something that doesn't require post processing for adding those 2d animations?

no there are unique shaders that help you get that cartoon looks and you will probably will need how to properly use shaders.
in the second video you posted there isn't much shader work, most of these models are just diffuse (color) with no specular
>>
>>560162
ben mattis - poop in my mouth
>>
>>560308
>What are Blender's faults?

Some, if not all of these are being worked on for 2.8 and beyond, but...:

Viewport performance is slow. If you are, for example, trying to sculpt a dense poly mesh or working in a scene with dozens of objects, you will encounter sluggish performance.

Animation tools are supposedly behind compared to Maya. I've never used Maya so I can't elaborate on that.

Sims are slow/garbage/outdated and missing key features. Sims of different types cannot interact with each other. Cloth can't even stretch/shrink and no where will you find a single realistically clothed character created in Blender using the cloth sim. It doesn't exist.

The current particle system has been abandoned, they won't even fix bugs. They new and improved particle system has been pushed down the road.

Basically Blender is always behind industry standards and does not appear to be catching up.
>>
File: wtf.jpg (766KB, 1920x2076px) Image search: [Google]
wtf.jpg
766KB, 1920x2076px
WTF is going on? There are no problems with vertices as far as I can tell.
>>
>>560356
Huh, it seems it's some kind of a visual bug. I collapsed my layers and tried again - it still got fucked up, but when I released the gizmo that weird polygon disappeared.

Damn 3ds max, I'm experiencing too much bugs.
>>
>>560358
Nvm, it's still happening. FUCK FUCK FUCK FCUK FCUK.
>>
I've recently started learning 3D modeling, and I have one question:

I see a lot of videos like this one on yt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j17Q64346HM

They are often made by some Indian too. Seeing how seemingly easy it is to make anything when you have an image reference, especially when it comes to environment/non-organic models, I wonder how many jobs are there for this type of work, and what is the salary like?

Does it even make sense learning this shit when it can get outsourced? It reminds me of outsourcing of webdev and design jobs and I don't like it. In 3 weeks I learned enough that I can already make models like these, too. Honestly, I thought it will be a lot harder, I even have to say that 3ds max was probably the easiest software to learn for me, don't know what all the "it takes ages to learn a 3d program" is about.
>>
File: pic.png (1MB, 1920x2076px) Image search: [Google]
pic.png
1MB, 1920x2076px
>>560356
>>560358

This is a lot of things wrong with this. But the problem you are having is because the polygon in question has more than 4 sides, and those edges you made are not loops. So when you move the edge, it fucks up that polygon which is why it looks like that.

My best advice for you is this, go to youtube and look up hard surface modeling. There are a lot of great guides & they will teach you proper topology.
>>
>>560370
What is wrong with it? I already made a few models with tutorials and know what hard surface modeling is (at least the basics). I am literally following this tutorial now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y83FLL6TqF0&t=431s

(this part is at 9:30)

Btw, this happens only on one side. Now I've solved with a different method, though.

But yeah, I don't know why are those edges not loops. Aren't they always supposed to go all the way around? But I figured out since this guy is a pro, I probably just haven't learned about this method yet.
>>
>>560371

I watched a bit of his video and seems like he likes to get close to the shape he wants, and then he cleans it up later.

Later in that video he actually adds support loops to that section.
>>
File: wut.jpg (415KB, 1920x1037px) Image search: [Google]
wut.jpg
415KB, 1920x1037px
Btw, I was blindly following this video and now I realize that there are a shitton of ngons here. Like, wtf?

>pic related

Basically, in the beginning, I went through this series...

https://www.digitaltutors.com/learningpath/105-Quick-Start-to-Modeling-in-3ds-Max

... and it is great. After that I skipped a lot of Arrimus3D tuts because I already learned all of those things, so now I don't know where to go next. I don't know texturing yet, and I figured out this grenade would be a good practice both in modeling and texturing.

What do you recommend?
>>
>>560374
Ah, that's good then. But man, I spent a few hours on those first 10 minutes, nothing works like it should, never happened before. Fuck.
>>
>>560375
Just fix this shit.
>>
>>560344
>in the second video you posted there isn't much shader work, most of these models are just diffuse (color) with no specular
but what about adding those 2d eyes and mouths to 3d models? Is that post processing as well? Do they just draw happy faces over faceless 3d models?
>>
>>560388
2D Faces on 3D models can be done several different ways. One of the ways is like you mentioned, but another is through UV mapping and rigging tricks.
You could make a texture with all the different faces you'd like your character to make, and cycle through them by translating the texture around.

Animated textures are also an option. I'd recommend learning more about rigging and texturing in general if you haven't already, since it's very useful to know for what you want to do.

Also isn't Lightwave discontinued? I thought their last stable release was in 2015.
>>
I was watching this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmury2eT_io&spfreload=1 about rigging in zbrush and I was wondering if it is useful beyond just posing a character. For example, exporting a .pc2 to Marvelous Design for animation, or recording animations of the figure. I know Max, Im currently learning Zbrush and I am wondering if you can do thing with this type of rig what you can do in Max.
Watching the video was pleasant cause the deformations you can achieve are too smooth and believable in the in-between stages and Im wondering if you can exploit the whole procedure for better results, or is it limited just to poses being recorded for morphing into max?
>>
What resolution should I use for a detailed character? Is 4096x4096 overkill?

>>560249
I'm also a blendfag getting back into Maya. Animation Methods is helping me out a lot
>>
>>560400
Thank you for answering my questions. I'm currently in the process of gathering information on what I need to learn in future.
>>
>>560308
3ds max is going the way of softimage and its tools are starting to get merged into maya. Zbrush is a tool made specifically for scultping, not general use 3d. Nobody understands zbrushes horrible ui.

blender's fault is that it isn't maya
>>
File: file.png (870KB, 1327x854px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
870KB, 1327x854px
>>560371
holy shit this guy has horrible modelling habits. this entire section is all kinds of fucked. and then he makes it into a ridiculously dense mesh at the end with this awful topology.

op its best to teach yourself good modelling practices from the beginning or you will end up doing it for the rest of your 3d stuff too
>>
>>560451
Fug, is texturing also bad in this video? That's the main reason I wanted to do this tut.

Yesterday I finished a model and paused the video until I fix this trash topology. I need to learn texturing somewhere. This guy also uses substance painter so the video seemed really useful.

Don't worry about me learning bad practices, I already went through some good tutorials and know this is horrible.
>>
>>560459
You shouldn't follow chamferzone tutorials for modelling, just for learning basic substance painter.

Just use the model he uploads with every tutorial to get straight into the painting.
>>
>>560362
Bump. Where the money at in this industry?
>>
>>560371
>>560375

Take the advice of
>>560451
and teach yourself good modeling practices.
The guy in the tutorial may be able to get away with having shit topology, but that's probably because he understands what needs to have good topology, and what he can get away with leaving looking like a piece of shit.
A beginner isn't going to know or understand the difference.
>>
File: Capture.png (437KB, 1254x833px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
437KB, 1254x833px
any idea why my fluid cache is taking 7 seconds to load every single time? I thought caching was supposed to let you scrub the timeline and play it back smoothly. this is unusable and I'd be better off without caching at all wasting my hard drive space
>>
File: grenade.jpg (170KB, 1542x816px) Image search: [Google]
grenade.jpg
170KB, 1542x816px
Hmmm, yeah, I guess I will drop this tutorial now. Don't know what is the best way to create edge loops in pic related.

But how did I do?

Btw, is CGpeers open tomorrow? Can you recommend some good 3ds max tuts on UV, texturing and lighting? I may still learn more about topology, but I think I did a decent amount of modeling for a beginner, now I want to learn how to complete the models and make them presentable.
>>
I posted this in the discord to no avail. I'm trying to make a cornea material with Arnold, but instead of being transparent, it darkens the sclera under it. Anyone knows what's going on?
>>
>>560388
there is no 2D in your video, at all.
>>
>>560539
post render settings under "arnold renderer" tab
>>
File: Capture.png (35KB, 449x1039px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
35KB, 449x1039px
>>560546
here you go
>>
>>560545
the eyes look more like flat images pasted over model, rather than 3d modeled
>>
File: file.png (606KB, 957x449px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
606KB, 957x449px
>>560547
it's not your lighting that's an issue, is it? can you reproduce this problem in a blank scene with the same material? i just threw together something and there isn't a problem here. same material and render settings
>>
>>560584
I can try, but did you turn the diffuse completely off in that render? With my shader setup, it's supposed to be completely transparent.
>>
Do you guys have any tips on how to model many similar rooms fast? I've been thinking of making everything out of "tiles", but every room so far looks pretty bland
>>
>>560538
The cornea is casting a shadow on the mesh below it. Disable cast shadows on the cornea mesh: attribute editor> MeshShape1> Render stats> casts shadows
>>
1st time work in 3d software.
I am trying to make some basic 3d low poly human model.

I've seen in the tutorials how people create them from looking at the reference with side view, sculpt on the plane object and then mirror it. However my reference is only 3/4 view.
What should I do in this case?
Obviously mirroring my image would not work in this case.
>>
File: 34543.png (273KB, 870x517px) Image search: [Google]
34543.png
273KB, 870x517px
>>560354
>Cloth can't even stretch/shrink and no where >will you find a single realistically clothed character created in Blender using the cloth sim. It doesn't exist.

rico would like to have a word with you, just screenshot from his stream
>>
Why do people sculpt human figures with arms being widespread?

If this is so important then what to do to not fuck it up?
Any tips?
>>
File: tfisthisbullshit.png (1MB, 960x1080px) Image search: [Google]
tfisthisbullshit.png
1MB, 960x1080px
>>560599
Already disabled, also tried disabling receive shadows, to no avail

>>560584
So I messed around with the lighting and the mesh is opaque when it is not lit for some reason. Any idea why?
>>
>>560644
Dunno how not to fuck it up, but IIRC it's to minimize UV map deformation so the texture doesn't appear stretched when the arms are in extreme positions (all the way up or all the way down)
>>
Why do companies prefer their workers to use max or maya more than blender?
>>
>>560656

Dunno. Can't you just say you used max/maya but you really used blender behind their backs?
>>
>>560652
Holy shit, finally found it. So, in the meshshape1 attributes, you gotta disable 'visible in diffuse' under Arnold and leave 'visible in glossy' checked in.
>>
>>560661
solved
>>
>>560644
To make rigging easier I think. If the arms are too close to the body the automatic weights will be completely fucked up and will require more work. Also this >>560655
>>
Is it a bad thing to make models for vidya that are separate pieces? For example, if I were to make some creature that doesn't need to deform around the shoulders, is it ok for the arms to be separate meshes from the body?
>>
>>560668
That's actually how they used to make characters 20-15 years ago. See most PS1 games and Morrowind for references.
>>
What's the best auto-UV unwrapper right now? I've using Unwrella but it's not that great and still requires time consuming manual clean up. It's just needs to be quick, cutting seams in the best places. UV packing is not required.
>>
>>560669
So it's fine if I do that with a modern engine? I dunno if it might deform wrong or the engine won't accept it or if it's just unnecessary polys or something. It just seems easier to model and rig
>>
>>560677
It is easier to model and rig, they used to do it that way because painting weights on low poly characters and have them deform properly is much harder when you can only afford 500 tris on your character. I don't see why there would be any problems with a modern engine, but why would you limit yourself like that?
>>
>>560678
Thanks. I just felt like it was easier and faster to it that way, and some creatures I'm making don't need to deform in the joints (like a stone monster) so having it separate animates just as well
>>
>>560623
where's his stream?
>>
File: rage.png (961KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
rage.png
961KB, 1920x1080px
I've tried sweep, i've tried loft, i've tried adding paths, i tried to partially revolve a side, How can i connect these two? Is there a "boa snake" thing where i can just drag and manipulate a curve onto this garbage, I'm completely lost
>>
I don't have a screenshot on me now, but anyone familiar with importing files into Unreal Engine 4? Tried pulling in some FBX files I exported from Maya, but pieces of the model itself would start stretching. Bringing in an OBJ was perfect, but just FBX decided to shit itself.

Anything I should be aware of or common mistakes with UE4?
>>
>>560708

Check what version of FBX you're exporting. Try downgrading to 2015, etc...

What do your export settings look like?
>>
>>560708
>Anything I should be aware of or common mistakes with UE4?

yeah, you need to import assets with lightmap. there are tutorials on how to do this.
otherwise, save yourself some trouble (if you work with blender) and get the ue4 fbx exporter from blender market

it will also nudge you with smoothing groups, just export them for good measure
>>
>>560702
at his youtube channel
>>
>>560708
have you tried the "send to unreal" button udner the file menu?
>>
File: ss (2017-04-15 at 05.37.05).png (98KB, 935x737px) Image search: [Google]
ss (2017-04-15 at 05.37.05).png
98KB, 935x737px
So guys, how screwed am I? I finally went ahead and did a 10 hour render and was ready for compositing - I figured I'd get around to it on the weekend and closed Blender. I'm greeted with this screen on reopening it.

Is there a way to re-open a rendered image, or am I completely boned and I need to redo the render again?
>>
File: 2017-04-16 05_17_57-Blender.png (11KB, 228x177px) Image search: [Google]
2017-04-16 05_17_57-Blender.png
11KB, 228x177px
>>560727
should be here
>>
>>560729
if its not in a temporary folder,specify a folder next time
>>
>>560729
>>560730
Should it be auto-outputting to that folder, or do I need to enable something? I've always used F3 to save and that folder doesn't have any images.
>>
>>560736
if you tick cache result it saves your composition settings with your image as well. hopefully to one file
>>
>>560736
the temp folder does not exist. save it to specific locaiton
>>
>>560742
>the temp folder does not exist.
It does, it's just hidden. Next time OP, specify a folder to save to and be glad you only lost 10 hours to learn this lesson
>>
What is the most used software among professionals besides Zbrush.
Maya or 3dMax?
>>
File: poly.jpg (344KB, 1920x912px) Image search: [Google]
poly.jpg
344KB, 1920x912px
Is this yet another bug in 3ds max or did I fuck up something?

When in polygon mode, my selected polygons are not full red anymore - I can only see their borders like in pic related.
>>
>>560775
NVM, I had to press F2.
>>
>>560761
generally its 3dsmax for modeling, maya for animation/rigging.
i heard modo is catching on but that could just be people here shilling for foundry.
>>
I don't have V-Ray for 3ds max and I want to render some photorealistic house exteriors. All I see on YT are V-Ray tutorials. What is a good alternative for this? Also, what does a V-Ray trial get me?
>>
File: Screenshot_59.png (37KB, 1087x553px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_59.png
37KB, 1087x553px
why does this shit keep happening in sketchup
somewhere, somehow, a line fucks up and starts putting out polygons all over the place
the main line dimensions are just fine, but its trying to fill in the wrong gaps, to describe it simply
>>
File: Screenshot_60.png (43KB, 1215x548px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_60.png
43KB, 1215x548px
>>560851
reeeeeeeeee
>>
>>560852
also just while im thinking about it, is there an easy way to create the rail channels?
its not that important to have in the model for reference purposes, since its going to be done via an end mill making a pass on a loop, and thats not a hard thing to do, but id like to have them there cosmetically without having to draw out every individual 5.11mm x 3mm deep channel myself
push/pull does not like angled surfaces
>>
File: halp.png (228KB, 1909x1035px) Image search: [Google]
halp.png
228KB, 1909x1035px
any ideas why this substance map doesnt work?
>>
>>560710
>>560725
I feel kinda retarded, downgrading to 2015 fixed it.
>>
I've been trying to apply a texture to my mascot head, but it comes out distorted and warped. If anyone could share the method they use for texturing heads that would be great.
>>
zremesher or topogun for retopo?
>>
>>560883
maya
>>
File: Untitled.png (671KB, 1242x1553px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
671KB, 1242x1553px
Just like that anon with the grenade from Chamferzone, I torrented the author's tutorial on the AKM and have a big question. I'm modelling the stock, but for some reason it looks very rough (mine's the top one) in comparison to the one in the video.

As a placebo I selected the whole model and gave it the same smoothing group (1) and it fixed it, but I don't know if that will fuck things up later on. The paid tutorial seems to be a little more inclined in good topology, so I feel like I'm safe in that department.
>>
>>560883
its best to save the retopology process to the main program you work with. i for example do it in blender, some people do it in maya or 3ds.

i suggest only get topogun or 3dcoat when you have hefty workload and you need someone a little bit faster

>>560876
if you have a skin texture make sure its high resolution and that your UV unwrapping is good. i think that if you work with a dedicated texturing program you can change interpolation (how the texture wraps on) its usually in the settings. in substance painter there is something called "triplanar projection" i think
>>
Damn, I wanted to disrespect photorealistic exterior renderings because it mostly boils down to a few clicks when you have Vray, but I'm following some tutorials and my shit just doesn't look that good at all, even though I have the same HDRI maps. It's actually not that easy.

Some guys are using domes with HDR images, while others just go with Vray sun and sky. Not sure what's the best method.

Oh and btw, I followed a tutorial where a guy makes a grass with a tiled grass texture, which is then just displaced 1-2cm upwards. I've also seen tutorials where people use Vray and fur for grass. What is the best way to do it in 2017?
>>
Do I need to be "artistic" or whatever to be able to get good at 3d modeling?
>>
WHY DO I HAVE TO SET MY VRAY LIGHT MULTIPLIER TO 0,001 FOR IT TO NOT BE BLINDINGLY BRIGHT???

I've been trying to figure this out the whole day. I went through numerous tutorials, but they are all the same anyway. I didn't mess with my camera exposure. Actually, it doesn't even make any difference. If I put the light multiplier to 1, the scene will be pure white. WHY???
>>
>>560940
the artistic part of yourself only comes after some time of exploring the software you are working with and doing alot of stuff.
you won't make a character with good dynamics on your first week, and probably not your first year.
i think that most artists hit a plateau after 2-3 years of modeling and those who proceed to get better are either naturally gifted or fought through fire to get better.
>>
>>560959
I don't have any interest in making character models, mainly objects and other environmental things.
>>
>>560960
then it also apply to you.
if i was in your position, i would go for one of those digital tutor's "game asset creation" stuff. you can probably pirate it or if you have some change just buy it. its not the only tutorial out there but it will cover this stuff.
obviously have the basics down first before going into environment art, have firm grip with your software of choice.
>>
>>560961
Thanks. I haven't tried 3d modelling at all yet, I was just curious before I start.
>>
>>560180

I mean some books on the history and possibilities of digital 3d in all kind of fields from animation and games to architecture and design work. Not some how to render with perfect lighting time shit
>>
>>559921
what am i doing wrong? ive redone the bones 4 or 5 times, did no mirroring the last 3 times and it still does this shit. am i missing something?
>>
>>560997
hows your vertex groups looking? check your weight paint for each bone
>>
File: fuck.png (150KB, 1472x805px) Image search: [Google]
fuck.png
150KB, 1472x805px
>>561011
welp. it wont let me edit the weight without it mirroring it to the other side.
>>
File: lolwut.jpg (100KB, 500x369px) Image search: [Google]
lolwut.jpg
100KB, 500x369px
>>561011
never mind, i fixed it. i forgot to actually APPLY the mirror modifier way back when i started the model. instead i just let preview without realizing it.
staying up till 3am does things to you i swear...
>>
what's the best way to get started with 3D animation if you have no experience at all? I'm thinking about taking that basic workshop in animation mentor, which is 6 separate hour long classes for $700...is that worth it or nah?
>>
>>560935
for grass? xgen definitely.
>>
>>560955
it's been a while since i've used vray, but i think vray has its own special physical camera properties
>>
File: Jack_frost.png (990KB, 3620x2716px) Image search: [Google]
Jack_frost.png
990KB, 3620x2716px
Complete newfag when it comes to 3DS Max 2016

I have a white sphere and I want certain parts to be black.
I go to the materiel editor and apply the black
The selected polygons turn black but the white sphere now turns grey. Why does that happen?
I have tried standard and ink and paint but both didn't work.

This is the thing I want to make.
>>
a page besides textures.com where i can get decent images?
>>
>>561052
what do you mean by turns grey exactly. This image is the result you want, right? post a screenshot of the problem
>>
File: confused.png (572KB, 1306x668px) Image search: [Google]
confused.png
572KB, 1306x668px
Please someone help me

Cant select or see armatures... in blender... its not a Alt+H problem, or a scene problem, or a selection in the scene tab problem... I dont know what to do and im sad and afraid :c
>>
>>561016

There should be an option on the left side where you got stuff like the texture of the weightpaint brush and like underneath all those tabs some z x y symmetry radio buttons should be there for you enable and disable
>>
>>561075

It looks like x-ray mode is disabled. If it is, under the armature tab that you're already on there should be some checkboxable button with the X-Ray label beside it
>>
>>561075
>>561082
forgot to mention , it is also not an xray problem even with it turned on they dont appear
>>
>>561031
In newer versions of 3ds max you can use their physical camera instead (vray's camera is gone). But it seems like, if I have both an HDRI image and a Vray sun, my aperture will only affect the HDRI image, while I still have to set the sun to 0,001 - 0,005.
>>
>>561085
you're on the wrong bone layer maybe?
>>
>>561094
nevermind...it looks like you're on the only bone layer
>>
>>561094
yeah i have literally no idea whats going on and ive asked like 3 different forums and no one has a clue at all
>>
File: render06.jpg (403KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
render06.jpg
403KB, 1200x1200px
Can anybody explain why is my lighting so much worse than in YT tutorials? I'm using Vray and am doing exactly the same steps as everyone (I watched a dozen tutorials and they are all the same anyway), but it doesn't look even remotely realistic.

I am quite new and am not sure what is the main problem here. Bad HDRI map? Just badly positioned lighting? Something else?
>>
>>561106
select objects ctrl+c your scene and ctrl+v to a new blender file
>>
>>561156
post what you want and what you are getting side by side
>>
File: jetpack.png (23KB, 513x335px) Image search: [Google]
jetpack.png
23KB, 513x335px
So I need to texture this backpack here for a game I'm submitting for a competition in a week. I don't need to bake or render it or anything, just export it as a .fbx. I've done this countless times already for other models using a "low poly" technique wherein I have a small (like 16x16) texture image with just a few different colors on it, and I use the Split UV's command in the UV Editor to separate the faces and then move them to the correctly colored region. But for some reason, I have several UV's on this mesh that belong to faces halfway across the mesh from one another, and the Split UV's command doesn't work to separate them. In fact, nothing under the UV Editor's menus has helped. When I try to Optimize or Unfold the thing in the Editor, it gives me this:

Error: Unfold3D command failed: Input polygon mesh data has unrepairable topology error(s)

So my question is, I suppose, how do I repair "unrepairable" topology? Do I really have to start this again from scratch?
>>
File: jetpackinputs.png (14KB, 278x431px) Image search: [Google]
jetpackinputs.png
14KB, 278x431px
>>561211
Forgot to mention, I'm using a student copy of Maya 2016, and here are the inputs for the mesh. The cube and cylinder components are from the thrusters that started off as separate objects, which i combined, and then separated again.
>>
>>561211
Your jet pack isn't deforming so topology isn't an issue. This is a matter of clever uv unwrapping.
>>
>>561211
delete history, UV> Automatic, select the edges you want to separate, UV> cut UV edges
>>
File: lightingvray.jpg (478KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
lightingvray.jpg
478KB, 1920x1080px
>>561177
Ok, on the left are examples from the videos I were following, on the right are my renders.

I circled in red renders where I did exactly the same thing, while other images are showing slightly different setups with different HDRI maps and light positions.

I am especially confused with the second render on the left. The guy used just a Vray sun and it already looks amazing. Also, I have a problem with some Vray lighting where it is always too bright, unless I put the multiplier down to a minimum.

Any thanks would be appreciated, I'm trying to figure this out for a couple of days now. Not sure if I should just practice more or if there is some problem with my lights, but something doesn't seem right. Especially in the circled examples, because I don't get shadows where I should have them.
>>
>>561157
HEY THIS TOTALLY WORKED THANKYOU OH GREAT ONE!!!
>>
>>559921
Do you any of you know the best place to download low poly human models something that has the look of a late 90s game? I've been looking online, mostly finding chibi stuff, which isn't what I'm looking for.
I'm trying to improve my topology and I think it would help to look at some examples.
>>
File: 1479671817602.jpg (26KB, 411x412px) Image search: [Google]
1479671817602.jpg
26KB, 411x412px
cpu ray tracing or gpu ray tracing .

help
>>
>>561235
are your camera settings the same is in the tutorials as well? The biggest problem is that the direction light (the "sun" in this case) isn't nearly intense enough. I think the camera settings are also what's causing the brightness problem as well.

what version of vray are you using?
>>
>>561316
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/38029698/why-do-we-use-cpus-for-ray-tracing-instead-of-gpus
>>
>>561318
thank you
>>
>>561291
you might look into makehuman. it's basically a person generator with a few different topology options like highpoly,lowpoly,proxy
http://www.makehuman.org/
>>
>>561316
cpus are for old grandpas. get yourself 2x 1080 tis and blender with cycles

Checkmate ;)
>>
>>560706
What in gods name is that topology
>>
>>560706
Did you try modelling?
>>
File: maya.png (26KB, 1366x677px) Image search: [Google]
maya.png
26KB, 1366x677px
Is it possible to use the slide edge tool but with more precise controls? I want to align the orange edge with the red edge so they have the exact same x coordinates, but also keep the bordering edges at the exact same angle. I'm using Maya.
>>
>>561339
in modelling toolkit set transform constraint to surface slide, then translate/scale into place
>>
How can I turn every model in 3ds max into bounding box to save memory? I've seen that only "object" types have that option. My project is crashing all the time because of some high-poly trees and furniture and I don't know what to do.
>>
How do I "drag" a mesh while sculpting in Zbrush?

Both Blender and Outfit Studio give you the ability to click and drag on the mesh in order to push and pull the mesh, but I can't locate the same functionality in Zbrush, only add and subtract brushes. Help?
>>
>>561366
Nevermind, I figured it out. It's the "move" brush.
>>
File: 9f52671ae85c16d01546b521e38bda73.jpg (521KB, 1424x999px) Image search: [Google]
9f52671ae85c16d01546b521e38bda73.jpg
521KB, 1424x999px
I'm getting pissed off.

I'm sculpting the model on the left, but the program started spazzing out and it spawned this second model into the document. Now I'm stuck on the edit mode of this piece of shit mesh and I don't know how to delete it.

How do I delete this piece of shit and get back to editing the old mesh (on the left)? I'm getting fucked off at how needlessly complicated everything feels in this program.
>>
File: 998e837014ae64fa6ca00f7425def2b8.png (628KB, 1920x1035px) Image search: [Google]
998e837014ae64fa6ca00f7425def2b8.png
628KB, 1920x1035px
>>561374
GRRRR, posted the wrong image. Disregard that other one.
>>
>>560494
Get the ultimate ak tutorial and ultimate hardsurface tutorials.
>>
>>561375
ctrl+n
>>
>>561375
>>561376

you've presse Ctrl+F and made a screenshot with it
you should press cnrl+N and it'll dissappear and press T to switch to editing mode

PS:
<sculpting
imported daz model into zbrush ...
>>
>>561378
>>561379
Thanks, I guess. I already cut my losses and deleted the document though.

I hope you didn't think I was implying I sculpted that thing from scratch.
>>
My motherboard supports Xeon processors. Will a 2.0Ghz 18 core E5 processor be much better for rendering than a 6 core i7 5820 @3.3Ghz?
>>
>>561381
I know I was just joking. anyway, you'll know what to do in rthe next time

>>561402
2011 x99 new CPU s are waste of money
they cost toooo much. I run xeon on 79 and it's holding up pretty well. it's better than any normal I7
>>
>>561403
Can get a used one for about $600. No way I could afford new.

I already have a 2011V-3 motherboard and ram so upgrading would probably be more expensive.
Can probably sell my i7 for $200 as well.
>>
>>561406
ebay xeons with same GHZ s (maybe you'll get even better.
you'll probbably buy it for much cheaper. if you don't have shitton of money it's fucking dumb paying for slightly "beteter" CPU just for sake of it... because x99 is wayy overpriced... and overall intel is overpriced.
xeon is affordable and is fucking good !!
>>
File: sw.png (43KB, 976x605px) Image search: [Google]
sw.png
43KB, 976x605px
Solidworks question.
I must be missing something very simple here. I have a 2D sketch as a reference where I set all the proper dimensions and angles. Next I want to make a couple of parts based on that sketch, mate them together and twist the whole thing around in 3D to see how it would work, while making corrections to original sketch whenever I find something wrong.
The thing is, of course, any time I move a part in assembly from its original location all the relations to original sketch go full bonkers rendering the whole assembly unusable. However I don't believe what I'm trying to do is something that unusual, there must be a way. What am I doing wrong? Or, rather, how do I do it right?
>>
>>561340
But that won't make the x position on the vertices exactly the same
>>
Can someone tell me how to recreate the smooth mesh preview from Maya in max and blender? Closest thing I found in max is turbosmooth with isoline on and work with preview on. How to do this in blender?
>>
How are you supposed to UV layout modular assets?

http://www.thiagoklafke.com/modularenvironments.html

http://twvideo01.ubm-us.net/o1/vault/gdc2015/presentations/Olsen_Morten_TheUltimateTrim.pdf

http://polycount.com/discussion/144838/ue4-modular-building-set-breakdown

I've read a few articles on modular assets, but all of them seem to skim over this except for the building set breakdown one. It's also not clear what the deal with the textures are, it's clear that there's a tiling texture and then a trim texture, but am I supposed to assign two different materials to the same mesh and UV only the edges to the trim? Can the method of beveling edges noted in The Ultimate Trim article be done in SP2?
>>
>>561213
>>561215
Thanks, that did the trick. I might post pictures of the completed mecha later now that he looks halfway decent from behind.
>>
>>561428
I'm not sure what you are trying to do, but in any case I would suggest assembling the parts independently of the sketch?
I find that making mates using sketch entities as references will often result in mate erros.

If you need to cheek if the parts are mated in the right position, you can try to make a sketch in the assembly and just measure the distances between the parts and their desired position.

Probably this won't help at all. Sorry about that
>>
My MacBook Pro heats up like crazy when I use Blender, what can I do to fix this?
>>
There was a program that let me overlay transparent images over other programs, was great for references and getting my proportions right. But now it's blocked by chrome and firefox as a virus and I havent been able to find an alternative for windows.
>>
>>561428
If I'm understanding you correctly - you don't have mates properly set up. I haven't used SW in a while, but there should be an option to limit distance and rotation (or just outright have a mate specifically for that).

Alternatively, what I sometimes do is model a path along which an object would be constrained and mate a face and a vertex of an object to that path specifically.
>>
>>561420
Looking on Ebay I see two Xeon E5s that look exactly the same, only one is 120w and one is 145w.
The lower watt one will run cooler right?
Or is the higher voltage more powerful.
>>
>>561468
can start by getting a real computer and real 3d software
>>
ryzen 7 actually looks pretty promising for rendering and for much cheaper than a xeon. thoughts?
>>
>>561461
>>561471
It turned out the thing I was looking for is called derived sketch. It is basically a live copy (instance) of the original sketch that can be placed somewhere else independently. When copied into a part it can be used as a reference to build geometry, and if you make several parts each based on its own derived sketch of the original one, they all will update in sync whenever you make changes to the original sketch regardless of their movement within assembly.

My mistake was that I tried to build parts effectively making relations to the reference sketch fixed in assembly. When such a part is moved from its place some of the relations break and the ones that don't try to jump back to where the reference is, resulting in a horrible mess (as to why I did that - I was hoping for some magic but it didn't happen).
>>
>>561477
Ryzen 7 is an 8-core GPU that can reach some pretty silly core speeds, so yeah, it'll probably beat a lot of Xeons with more cores but lower clock speeds.

A Ryzen machine is a good investment if you're hunting for value. Multi-CPU motherboards with Xeons will probably still beat Ryzen CPU's, but it looks like you're looking for something more down-to-earth, so.
>>
>>560342
The Baking in Blender is just a bit clunky.
>>You have to have an Image Editor open with a blank image open.
>>You have to have an Node Editor open with a Image Texture Node pointing at the Blank Texture. Then you have to have the node Selected.

>>Then you Bake.
>>
>>559921
Does anyone know of a page or a file with lots of reference of common objects?(like household items) I'm new to 3D (with Blender) and I would like to practice modelling with stuff that's not too complex before I go into character modelling, but most of the good reference I find are for characters.

by reference I mean images that show the front, side and top (and maybe more) views of the object.
>>
>>561584
try searching for gun references, there's tons, they're easy to model and generally not too complex.
>>
>>561547
don't forget that each core has two threads. So the gap is a lot closer than you think for sub $2000 xeons. I wonder if it will support a dual cpu configuration.
>>
>>561584
If you were really desperate I suppose you could go to the sketchup warehouse, where there's tons of models for basically anything devised by human hands on the Earth's crust, and take reference screenies yourself inside Sketchup, then work from that.

If you're thinking coffee mugs, desk lamps, apples, I dunno. Sketchup Warehouse has it.
>>
>>561477
Did some research and it's better to wait for Naples.
I was going up get a used Xeon but the new AMD chips actually look really good.
The only problem with Ryzen is that it is Dual Channel and 4 slots max for ram compared to my Intel Boards 8 Quad Channel slots.
>>
I remember seeing videos of level design done in blender where the guy basically extrudes or stretches faces of the mesh, but the texture doesn't get stretched. Instead it adapts perfectly as if it was projected on the face. Unfortunately I can't seem to find anything on this with my weak google-fu.
>>
>>561685
sounds like a procedurally generated texture
>>
>>561587
>>561627

Thanks
>>
I'm rather confused about Marvelous Designer. It feels like trying to symmetrically position the 3d pieces of cloth is impossible, and pinning feels very inaccurate. Should I consider just going with something else?
>>
>>561737
learn to create and use bounding boxes and positioning will literally be 1 click.
>>
>>561688
speaking of, does anyone have some really good learning materials or tutorials for texturing? especially fundamentals stuff, not really looking for tutorials on a particular program as much as general knowledge i can apply to any software.
>>
File: 3DS MAX 2017 VS 2018.jpg (123KB, 900x300px) Image search: [Google]
3DS MAX 2017 VS 2018.jpg
123KB, 900x300px
Hey guys, bit the bullet on 2018 because 2017 was starting to lag for some reason and thought I may as well try 18 and Arnold.

Slight peeve, I don't like the UI menu redesign and was wondering if there was a way to change it back. I've had a look round the options and can't find it and the rest of the internet is pretty unhelpful.
>>
I was thinking about something.

When you master lighting and camera techniques in 3D, would that knowledge help you IRL with photography or film? How much does it translate to a real world?
>>
File: edges.png (92KB, 537x433px) Image search: [Google]
edges.png
92KB, 537x433px
In Maya, after I duplicate special'd the right half of this head, using symmetry with edge select causes it to highlight incorrect edges. It does not seem to actually select the wrong edges, it just highlights the wrong ones. The same thing happens with face selection, the edges seem to get jumbled up. It's just kinda bugging me at this point, but I don't want to make mistakes that I don't notice. It's likely because I'm using integrated graphics on an i7, but I figured I'd check to see if there's a quick fix for it.
>>
>>561743
But for example, I want to create two pieces of cloth (left and right) for the chest. Using bounding volumes doesn't help me place those two pieces symmetrically though.
>>
>>561773
It is highly unlikely that it's due to hardware. Delete history on the model, select a middle edge, and set topological symmetry. Also don't work in smooth preview.
>>
this probably is really a stupid question and/or one someone has answered somewhere before....but what happened to all the images in the stickied guide post at the top of the board? none of them are showing up for me and it says file does not exist for all of them...
>>
>>561758
if it's anything like maya, then no you can't change it. That shit is built into the program, so you just gotta get used to it.
>>
>>561800
a few months ago something got fucked and deleted a bunch of images off the servers. I think it only did it for some boards and not others though ie /po/ still has its images.

I remember /wsg/ had all of its images nuked too.
>>
>>561793
You mean in the 3d view? You don't need to be super symmetrical in marvelous. Just place them more or less in the area and a bit above, sew them properly and they will fall into place. if you mean creating symmetrical pieces in the 2d view, there are symmetry tools. the 2d placement doesnt need to be perfect either. look at some tutorials on youtube, it barely even matter where you place them so long as its in the general vicinity and you account for physics.
>>
How do I emulate the crease brush from sculptris in zbrush? Is there a crease brush that I'm missing? How do I make asscrack?

What's the best way to select polygroups in Zbrush?
>>
>>561844
Make two volumes, dam standard in the middle, Inflate around crease, Pinch brush to bring them closer together. For underboob definition, I use some custom brushes, but low intensity dam standard will do as well.
>>
>>561804
Shame, it just looks tacky not having the Max logo and decent dropdown menu
>>
>>561844
not sure what you mean by selecting, but you can mask by polygroup. to do this use smart mask, just activate the transpose tool and ctrl click a polygroup. you can also isolate polygroups by ctrl shift clicking them.
>>
Quick, what's the most dank intro to zbrush tutorial I can download off of cgpeers?
>>
Pluralsight worth the subscription? Is every thing they have on cgpeers?
>>
>>561870
watch a pluralsight video first dummy. see if the introduction in the video conforms to your standards. how else would you know?

>>561867
all your first day in zbrush videos are a piece of crap, not because they are. but because zbrush is so huge you will still be clueless after watching them
>>
File: 1493040709067.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1493040709067.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
How do I make eyelashes when making animu?
I just can't fucking get it

are there tutorials out there?
I can do everything else BUT fucking eyelashes
>>
>>561871
Shit that just covers the most immediately useful features like any other "Intro to" should be fine, don't need an encyclopedic knowledge of the software just enough to start sculpting characters in it.
>>
>>561763
bump
>>
>>561867
pavlovich
>>
File: 1492523457053.png (45KB, 739x566px) Image search: [Google]
1492523457053.png
45KB, 739x566px
in blender, is there a way to make an operator run after every time a built in operator runs? i want to execute a custom operator after bpy.ops.transform.translate() is executed, every time it's executed
>>
>>561872
Just stick a double-tapered cylinder on the end of the eyelids with some spikes coming off the ends away from the nose.
>>
Say I'm modeling a character, and I make the hands and feet and intend to connect them later, and I end up with too many/too few edges to mate the two objects.

How do I handle that without creating tris?
>>
>>561866
Sorry, I meant making the polygroups in the first place, it seems kinda finicky to hide the model using tools like rectangle select and then make a group from the visible topology. Especially when I'm trying to select only boobs.

>>561847
I'll give this a go, thanks.
>>
>>561919
just mask and ctrl+w. also, there are other select tools like lasso that are more precise.
>>
Is there a way to create your own skin textures? All the guides on skin texturing (especially the head) seems to focus on projection painting in blender. There doesn't seem to be one that teaches how to select and blend colors to create a skin texture from scratch.
>>
File: ue4.png (152KB, 518x572px) Image search: [Google]
ue4.png
152KB, 518x572px
>>559921

What's the deal with games with assets/textures that look really detailed? For example, most UE4 projects (Some of which use asset-store content) look REALLY high resolution.

However, if I try going as low poly as possible, using 1024 x 1024 MAX texture space, it looks really low quality/amateur even with normal maps, roughness etc.

Even small objects like plates, book clusters seem extremely detailed in other projects.

What am I doing wrong? Are these people using 2048 x 2048 texture space or zbrush for really detailed normals?
>>
File: 1450169394372.jpg (52KB, 560x575px) Image search: [Google]
1450169394372.jpg
52KB, 560x575px
>>561931
>if I try going as low poly as possible, using 1024 x 1024 MAX texture space, it looks really low quality/amateur

>if I use low quality assets it looks low quality
>>
>>561935
>Trying to optimize and maintain some level of quality

What do you recommend?
>>
File: 1493045789164.png (101KB, 650x850px) Image search: [Google]
1493045789164.png
101KB, 650x850px
>>561931
well, whats your point?

for games that are first person shooters and have exploration motives in a small space (like alan awake) you wanna use 4k textures on most big objects and 2k textures on medium objects.

for third person games or even isometric ones, you can lower your textures to 1024 or 512 because there is so much going on the screen and your meshes are not zoomed enough to see all the texture detail. just zoom in dota2 models and see what i mean
>>
>>561931
That depends on the details. For example scratch details could easily be a small texture which is simply tiled a lot, which gives it a much higher resolution look in-game. On the other hand details that are imprinted on the baked normal map will only go up in resolution if you actually bake a higher res normal map (for presentation artists usually us 2k - 4k textures, because why not).

What you saw was most likely the first, an artist simply tiled a basic scratch texture many times over in the material which makes them look super crisp even though it's the same 1k texture repeated over and over (with some variation by adding other textures ontop to make it look like its all seamless).
>>
>>561942
i should expand on this that this method is mostly used for detail normal maps and roughness (gloss) maps because details such as scratches and dents are usually not very unique and can easily be tiled like crazy without anyone being able to notice that its a repeated texture. it's a nice way of adding fine details to otherwise low-res small models. this method is also popular for texturing large flat surfaces like walls. instead of making a giant 4k texture that stretches from the bottom to top of the wall, you simply create a smaller 1k or 2k texture and tile it 3-4 times across the surface. this will give the wall a very high res look, but it may look repetitive. to solve that problem you add more tiled layers of different textures (for example to add brightness differences, random dirt etc.).
to top it off you add unique details such as a a water leaking effect, these are added on top of the wall as decals. this is done in fallout 4 a lot for the roads where it's a simply tiled asphalt texture but the edges all have decals on them which give the unique details such as broken/chipped off bits and pieces. you can see the edge between the texture and the decal if you know what to look for.

all of these combined will make your wall look both unique and very high res despite using only 1k to 2k sized textures. it's also very flexible since you can change the texture density by simply changing the amount of tiling. even after all this, if you wanted to, you could add a fine detail normal map that is heavily tiled to create ultra fine details for really up close shots.
>>
>>561942
no one is using tiled scratch textures. what are you talking about?
not since you can add materials to surfaces and tile them
>>
>>561951
https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Engine/Rendering/Materials/HowTo/DetailTexturing/
>>
>>561953
but its incredibly niche, why would you ever need it?
most artists just make the assets and add decals if needed
>>
>>561945
>all of these combined will make your wall look both unique and very high res despite using only 1k to 2k sized textures

this is retarded because you are still using more textures for detailing, hence more RAM usage.
so you have 2 normal maps instead of 1 just to save a little bit of processing power
>>
File: mt-stupid.png (43KB, 613x481px) Image search: [Google]
mt-stupid.png
43KB, 613x481px
>>561954
>>561955
Oh dear, it looks like mr. layman knowledge of graphics tech got out of his cage and is trying to tell us why features present in every major engine and material creation suite are useless again. Congrats on figuring out that loading textures involves taking up RAM.
>>
>>561957
this is always what /3/ does.

/3/ tells you about this unique cool feature that can help you render walls quickly and change the resolution of them if you get closer.
but forgot that this person probably knows dick about texturing and you throw a ubisoft pipeline at him because "that's cream de la cream" and you must argue you autism even your technique is not relevant to the person who asked the question
>>
>>561959
I'm not saying anything beyond that detail textures and layered materials exist and are used commonly enough that calling them "Niche" is ludicrous and whining "what about the RAM usage?" is downright retarded, like you've got a better idea of optimization than the guy who designed the system in the first place just because you have a vague idea of how RAM works. It's not some impossibly complex "Ubisoft pipeline", either, given I literally just linked you to an article that explained the concept in, like, 5 minutes worth of reading, tops.

I'm not >>561942, by the way. Not going to presume to know what the original poster might be doing wrong or how to help them achieve what they want without actual examples to look at and from their description they're probably just using potato resolution texture maps.
>>
>>561960
well i watched plenty of tutorials for both texturing and modular assets and i never run into this problem. if variation would bother me so much i would simply use material blending and change the seed everytime i needed something different
>>
>>561931
Sounds like you should check up on texel density

1K resolution textures can be fine in some cases, and terrible in other situations.
Depends entirely on what you're trying to do
>>
>>559924
Might as well learn a program, though. Something like Maya or Modo is pretty quick to learn and generally has the export capability for game engines like Unity or Unreal.
>>
>>560190

Topology, tapoligy, and tapalogy

neat
>>
>>560249
The Lynda.com tutorials are pretty great if you have no idea what you're doing.
>>
>>560706
Got enough 'gons there, bucko?
>>
Does anyone else have Maya completely freak out over "non manifold" or overlapping geometry?

It's always crashing when subdividing or switching between subdivs and doing other operations. It complains about non manifold geometry, but my geo looks fine. I use mesh cleanup operations to fix non manifold, and nothing happens, and it keeps throwing errors and crashing.

Same mesh in max is fine, no issues. What the fuck is wrong with Maya? Is it because geo is overlapping? Because I like to model low poly with smooth mesh preview, and some geometry overlaps on lowest subdiv but is fixed when smoothed.
>>
File: 1427640560084.jpg (70KB, 1290x852px) Image search: [Google]
1427640560084.jpg
70KB, 1290x852px
>>561892
The best way to avoid this is to just plan ahead.
>>
>>562119
upload an fbx or something of the mesh you can 100% replicate the problem on and I'll take a look at it in maya to see what might be fucking up. also post the steps you take to make it crash.

Can't really tell you anything without knowing what you're trying to work with
>>
>>562150
thanks for offering to take a look at it. However I seem to have fixed it by combining the mesh with another object and deleting by history.
>>
Best software to learn for an industrial design/product design student?
Sketch up, Solidworks, rhino, AutoCAD, inventor, or is there a better alternative I'm missing?
Thanks, planning for the future here.
>>
>>562249
solidworks for product and industrial
anything that have a working mechanism use catia or inventor
>>
>>562258
Thanks familia.
Legally downloading solidworks right now :^)
>>
So my 3dsMax suddenly binded the useful "Shift+Click = Extrude" to "Point to Point Selection" or even deselect. It just started doing it that way and is driving me nuts.

I made sure NOTHING is in Maya Interaction Mode (neither is the mouse navigation) and it still does it. Sometimes getting my config reset. Should I just reinstall it?
>>
>>562366
try deleting whatever max's config file is and then it should generate a fresh one for you when you open it.
>>
File: _^).webm (169KB, 746x420px) Image search: [Google]
_^).webm
169KB, 746x420px
probably really stupid but ive only been on this board like 2 times before. what program could i use to make something like this?
>>
>>562467
3ds,blender maya or c4d take your pick
>>
>>562468
thanks, freind
>>
>>562370

Roger, checking some .ini files for clues and deleting anything related to config files, nothing but trial and error here. Will report if successful.
>>
can I get zbrush-like focusing in maya?

where the camera automatically pivots around whatever you click on with the mouse
>>
>>562550
select object and hit f to center the camera pivot on the object
>>
>>562551
yeah but I want it to be automatic
>>
When texturing for animation, is baking lighting information into my maps optional? I can just do all the lighting in-scene right? How do most trained 3d artists texture for animation?

For example, with human skin can I just have a diffuse map, normal map, and gloss map(?) for realistic or semi-realistic skin texturing, and just do the lighting in-scene. Can I expect to get good results doing that or do I need an AO map?
>>
>>562555
Maya doesn't focus automatically. You have to press F to focus on the selected object or component in Maya.
In zbrush, if you press F, it focuses on the part of a mesh that your brush is positioned on.

>>562637
What does animation have to do with it? Even if you're rendering stills it's better to texture without baking shadows.
>>
File: bakingerror.png (483KB, 1920x1040px) Image search: [Google]
bakingerror.png
483KB, 1920x1040px
Usually when I make models I bake ambient occlusion to a texture and then use that as a basis for painting the texture, for example the positions of the thumbsticks on this controller should show up as black spots on the texture. (pls excuse shitty modelling)
However occasionally when I bake the ao one or more of the faces of the model will appear to be flipped, as seen in pic. It stays like this even if I rebake it, and I haven't done anything fucky with the uv map to cause a face to be flipped like that.
Any idea why this happens? I can flip the faces afterwards to match up with the ao map but the texture being split like that makes painting the textures annoying.
>>
Could you tell me tutorial site about Blender.
I've passed this site.
http://gryllus.net/Blender/3D.html
>>
>>562639
But when your texturing for games, isn't it common to bake an AO map and maybe point lighting or something so you don't have to internally render all the lights since it's resource heavy, right?
>>
how can I set up a custom camera grid in C4D?
>>
in component mode for Maya, is there a way to select components along a single spline? Like if I had a cylinder with 3 splines running around the top, middle, and bottom, how do I click only the components that make up the middle spline? Assume highlighting isn't an option because the cylinder is all scrunched up.
>>
>>562640
didn't you know that blender have realtime AO?
>>
>human skeleton references looks different
>biodigital skeleton looks different
>free skeleton on the internet looks different

I'm losing my shit. Is there any way to model a +90% accurate human skeleton?
>>
Is it worthwhile getting CSWP in Solidworks? Like is it respected at all in industry?
>>
Using xgen in Maya 2017 is there a way to get all the cards to face the same direction?
>>
How can I make this shape in Blender?

pls no bully
>>
>>562793
Guna try to make it and report back.
>>
so I'm modelling a city environment in blender for use in a Unity game

for performance reasons I want the lighting, GI, AO, etc to be baked onto the models with lightmaps because almost everything is going to be static (no moving object except the player).

however because the buildings are pretty big and use a lot of similar pieces, i've got into a habit of overlapping the UVs in order to save space (for example, 10 window frames on a house will share the same UV coordinates because they'll look the same), which gives me greater resolution on textures due to smaller UV maps

however I realized that lightmapping in Unity gets FUCKED when you have overlapping UVs.

what is the best solution to this?
do I need to unwrap every repeating piece separately leaving me with either low-res textures or a massive 4k texture set?
or is there some other way to get around the lightmapping issues?
>>
File: done.png (87KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
done.png
87KB, 800x600px
>>562793
never did this before, so it took a bit of testing.
>>
>>562804
One solution is to procedurally generate your buildings.
>>
>>562811
how did you make it?
>>
>>562772
use an xray or something
>>
>>562772
have you considered that people have different proportions fucktard
>>
File: file.png (165KB, 1814x773px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
165KB, 1814x773px
>>562780
they should be facing the same direction by default. pic related is just the tilt-u changed for visibility
>>
>>562815
There are a few ways. As accurate tot he ref as i could:
Make a plane and positioned it as the end of the screw-like shape. Then I used a screw modifier, 360d, 8-9(or 4-5 if you plan to subd) steps, and 3 iterations.
Apply the screw-mod, then apply a subdivide-mod to the mesh.
Then use the Mesh Deform-mod on the screwhair, make a seperte box mesh, add the loops like in the ref, then on the screwhair mesh again bind to the newly created box mesh.
Play around with the box.
Then apply all mods if any remain, and delete the interior faces of the screwhair until there are only 4 rows on the outside, or however you wish really.
>>
Is this tutorial worth going through?

http://viscorbel.com/shop/exterior/

I've heard this guy is good, but honestly, that visualization looks shittier than what I see on YT tutorials.
>>
Can UE4 completely replace Vray for lighting? Is it better to make visualizations in unreal instead?
>>
>>562831
>Is it better to make visualizations in unreal instead?

possible yes. better no.
if you can afford having tessellation and SSAO instead of world AO and and displacement then be my guest.

the point is that you can go wild with 1 shot render far as the things that go into the scene. if you really wanna achieve high level unreal environments that also allow you to walk around and interact with things its a problem, you will need to bake plenty of maps but for 1 shot renders i guess the lag doesn't matter

if you can render through GPU i don't see the point of using unreal unless you want to tonemap the fuck out of everything through the program itself
>>
File: volcano.png (958KB, 1210x900px) Image search: [Google]
volcano.png
958KB, 1210x900px
Whats the best software for procedural terrain /environment generation these days? Houdini? Terragen? Vue?
>>
>>562824
Arigato, senpai!
>>
>>562804
You can have multiple UV channels per map.
UV0 can be for your overlapping textures.
UV1 for the lightmap.
Unity automatically uses the UV1 channel for lightmapping if it's present.

You can also let Unity generate this second set of UV's by checking the ‘Generate Lightmap UVs’ box in the .fbx importer settings.
>>
>>562836
World Machine and Terragen are good, Vue is an unstable, slow as fuck POS.
Houdini got some REALLY fun tools with version 16.

I can't tell which is the best, maybe there isn't one and its personal preference.
But you can't go wrong if you stay away from Vue and test the others....
>>
Building a PC for 3D work and rendering, nothing extreme. What parts should i invest in?
>>
>>562920
depends on the kind of 3d work
>>
>>561017
you shouldn't have to apply the mirror modifier, it might have to be before the armature in the modifieer stack though.
>>
>>562920
a brand new nvidia card. you should prioritize last 2 generations of cards and make sure its CUDA supported in your software documentation

also a strong CPU to handle large amount of polygons, no need to go crazy you can have a midtier one as well.
16 gb of ram will do
a good reliable motherboard from either msi asus or gigabyte that supports your parts, especially your CPU slot (for intel CPU's its something like 1156. for AMD ones its something like AM3 - these are socket numbers).
also make sure your PSU can support your graphics card in terms of Watts
>>
>>560327
is your picrelated an actual render? it looks much better than any of the realtime methods i've seen for edge detection
>>
File: rsz_monsters.jpg (646KB, 3494x2541px) Image search: [Google]
rsz_monsters.jpg
646KB, 3494x2541px
I'm primarily a 2D artist and really struggle when it comes to understanding 3D stuff at all, I can animate well in Maya and Sculpt in ZBrush but I don't understand Polygon Modeling, Topology, Rigging, UV Mapping, Textures, Compositing, Rendering.

I was set a task in the next 3 weeks to sculpt a character, texture it/UV Map, retopologise it, rig it and then put it into a real life environment (as in a photo/video). Are there any tutorial series that follow this entire workflow that are good? I can probably try to figure out the last part separately.

How do I optimise my sculpt/model when sculpting if it's going to be animated? Most of the things I've done so far have had a pretty ridiculously high poly count. Decimation Master?

I'm probably going to do one of these monsters of mine (pic related, probably the yellow/orange guy), a more realistic mushroom monster or a golem. Which raises the question of hair, is it better to do it in ZBrush with fibermesh or Maya with ZGen?
>>
>>563003
*XGen, apologies.
>>
>>563003
>I was set a task
Is that for school of some kind of did you take on a job? It's a pretty big ask for a student to accomplish that in 3 weeks, unless they've already been taught how. Does it need to be a photo realistic character?
>>
>>563005
Yeah, I'm a student- the goal is to just get as much done as possible (it doesn't necessarily have to be 100% completed or photo realistic, just to make some headway) as my lecturer knows I'm pretty far behind when it comes to understanding the 3D course material, so he's set me a few tasks to do over the summer to get me back to speed.

I technically should already understand all of this as we've been taught it before but I am incredibly stupid/slow and couldn't keep up.

I've coasted this far on the fact that my 2D work is okay, but I'm learning that if I want to get into the industry an understanding of 3D is pretty important.

Most of my class are going off to do placements/internships and because I don't have a great portfolio I'm taking the next year to build one up and work on some projects that push me out of my comfort zone so that I can maybe apply for a summer internship next year.
>>
>>563006
Use Zbrush to sculpt, next get 3D Coat to texture it/UV Map, retopologise it and then auto-rig in Maya...keyframe and add an HDRI and yer done kid!
>>
>>563003
decimation won't help you. what you need in order to animate is nice quad topology with maybe some tris in areas that won't deform as much (basically, not on joints). all decimation will do for you is reduce the poly count of your sculpt before exporting to maya or max or whatever so it doesn't kill your computer. you will still need to manually retopologise.

if I were you I'd look into game character creation workflow tutorials. This is because the learning material you find will probably have both polycount and animation in mind. It will be far easier for you to understand these concepts and complete your task if you stick to a simple enough character design with low ish polycount so it's easier to animate and realistic to complete.

I don't actually know any good tutorials but hopefully that'll give you a bit of a clue of what to look for
>>
>>563022
also, game workflow usually involves baking high detail from sculpts into low poly models which may be helpful to you in creating an animatable but detailed character.
>>
>>563010
3D Coat looks neat, I'll check it out. Thanks Anon.

>>563022
Got it, sincere thanks for the help and advice- should give me a good place to start.
>>
File: MTXX_20170503181238.jpg (2MB, 1798x1013px) Image search: [Google]
MTXX_20170503181238.jpg
2MB, 1798x1013px
i was looking thru some tutorials and i saw this hot mess. is this some weird ngon-based approach to modelling? and is it worth doing and why?
>>
>>563036
I mean, you could always retopo it if the topology becomes a big problem? Even if something's freeform and messy, if it helps you get the shape down and you can fix the topology later it's not such a big deal. Same deal with floating geo and a bunch of other methods that you're supposed to retool later down in the modeling process.
>>
>>563037
sure, but don't you have to get rid of edges to get that look? what's the point? I might just be completely misunderstanding how this is achieved.
>>
>>563037
wait you're supposed to retopo floating geometry? I thought that was fine for game models and didn't make a difference?
>>
>>563038
Is it going for a "look"? I figured it was just blocking out a mesh. You can preserve whatever edges you want while retopologizing, anyway.
>>
>>563040
Depends on what you mean by floating geo. Intersecting bits of a mesh are fine on a realtime model, floating geo for detail like bolts and rivets is made to be baked into the normal or height info generally.
>>
I'm constantly amazed with a creativity of bugs in 3ds max. Truly a glorious program.I wouldn't be surprised if Blender works better.
>>
>>562712
Yes but that doesn't show up on the textures
>>
How can I make mountains and other terrain like in this video with 3ds max?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8z2u3TUqSs
>>
>>563043
Blender and C4d are very stable, but less complex.
In an better world Max and Maya would be as stable or even more.
But the truth is a kind of devils deal. You'll get more advanced tools which lets you do stuff faster, but it crashes more often.
>>
>>563046
Step 1. Gay conversion therapy.
Step 2. Now that you've stopped being a gigantic fag, the desire to make "Low poly" by upfucking the geometry on regular 3D should quickly disappear and you can move on with your life as a better artist.
>>
File: 8690471849_8573e370d9.jpg (39KB, 408x231px) Image search: [Google]
8690471849_8573e370d9.jpg
39KB, 408x231px
>>563043
you are like a little baby.
watch this
>>
I have a rigged mesh I want to simplify and merge some bone weights in it. I used this script http://polycount.com/discussion/96670/3ds-max-2011-combining-rigged-weights
a few years ago and I wonder if there is a smarter way to do this in 3ds Max 2017.
>>
If I get the free octane demo and work on a project then export everything and give it to a buddy who owns octane , can he just render everything out in the proper resolution and without restrictions ?
>>
is anybody using Iray ?
I'm trying out Iray for c4d rightnow and am working on a projekt.
the further I go the more I see how shit Iray is.
I feel like I hit a point where I can't complete the project with it.
I need to applie stcikers on different surfaces.
however I ray apparently only lets me the basetexture with the sticker ,so the sticker is allways in the middle of the base texture.

that can't be right , right ?
>>
File: Capture.png (231KB, 1920x1016px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
231KB, 1920x1016px
What is occasionally causing the texture to turn white? How do I undo it (undo isn't working)?
>>
>>563249
what are you doing when it turns white? rotating the camera or doing a certain thing?
>>
>>563252
I don't know. I know I am doing something, I think I am clicking off a selection.
>>
>>563253
does it still do it with a new material?
>>
I don't know what you mean by that. I think this happens when the Hypershade might be up and clicking back to the model viewer. Something might be selected in the Hypershade when it happens but I don't know.
>>
>>563256
like right click over it and create a new material for it.
>>
>>563261
I saved and reopened that new save and the texture seems to be back. Before I would just open an older autosave to revert.
>>
Is there a way to stroke along a path in zbrush?
Like can I draw out a curve and them make a brush follow it evenly
Trying to figure out a way to add stitching.
>>
HOLY FUCK

WHY ISN'T SYMMETRY ON BY DEFAULT IN ZBRUSH?????? I JUST LOST A SHIT TON OF PROGRESS!! FUCKING FUCK!!!!
>>
>>563374
git gud and mirror and weld.
>>
Are there any good places where I can learn how to create some realistic mountains, water and vegetation in 3ds max? I'd like to make some visuals but all the tutorials on YT are old and bad.

I don't know why Blender has better tutorials than 3ds max desu.
>>
bamp
>>
How would i go about modeling a baby/fetus in 3DS max ?
I'm rather good with hard surface modelling and for the past year or so i've mainly modelled guns, buildings, equipment and vehicles but for everything that is organic / has smooth curves i'm totally lost.
>>
I have a low poly mesh and the normal map that was generated from the high poly (ripped from a game). Is there a way to have it sort of automatically reverted, that is, generate a higher poly version from the normal map?
>>
Whats the best guide for complete beginners to texturing and UV's?
>>
Im getting a very very subtle sound through my headphones when I rotate the camera in Maya. Whats going on? It's so faint that I thought I was crazy.
>>
>>564215
is it kind of like a stuttery noise that gets louder whenever you rotate the camera? mine does the same thing, except in everything. It's interference from your graphics card. I have no idea how to stop it either.
Thread posts: 333
Thread images: 63

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.