[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

First Job

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 2

File: 1412709007241.jpg (80KB, 700x714px) Image search: [Google]
1412709007241.jpg
80KB, 700x714px
I would like to know about your first job, how did u get into 3d industry, and what were your responsibilities as junior?
>>
>bagging groceries
>i made a game and released it on greenlight
>i'm boss and ceo senpai
>>
>>559708
Always been curious to how much greenlight games can make.

Also what engine?
>>
>>559707
I probably emailed every single 3d place in nyc before i got my current first job. I got lucky. I'm a 3d generalist in LA and i work on Disney, marvel, dc, WB, etc movies. A lot of smaller places in LA just seem to be looking for 3d generalists
>>
>>559707
Did some small jobs for my teacher in college. He recommended me to a company his older students ran and was able to work on some feature animations during my work practice. And got a real job after that from the same place.

Was a pretty big deal for me since I'm from a smaller European country. We don't have many feature animations done in here.

Responsibilities were first some rendermonkey jobs. Checking rendered frames for bugs. From there to small modeling tasks, and then bigger. Then to character blendshape modeling and compositing stuff. Wide variety and quite fun honestly. Learned something new constantly.

Now I'm working mostly on commercials, so not as fun anymore.
>>
Started in games as junior animator doing game assets and endless cycle variations for quite a big company. Now in feature film.
>>
>>559714
Unity. Engine of the Gods.
>>
>>560099
>Unity
>Engine of the gods

You haven't used unreal, huh?
>>
>>560108
I have. Its crap and the community is cancer.
>>
Let's say there is a scale of all the jobs, which shows how easy it is to make a living doing that job.

On the one side, there is programming, on the other, a musician.

Where would a 3D artist be placed?

TL;DR - is it a bad idea to try to get into this industry, or not?
>>
>>560147
On the one side, there is programming, on the other, a musician.

a musician is better in my opinion because people are only going out to eat whenever its in hotels/bars/restaurants
yes like 80% of the world plays video games, which most are either AAA or 2D. which is mostly contracted by studious which are mostly comprised of a tight circle of friends and will most likely won't hire you unless you are well above and beyond the job description or know someone from inside.
all in all, both musician and 3D artist are shitty choices, but at least with music there is a small chance to get rich
>>
>>560148
this literally makes no sense lmao
>>
>>560206
was sort of tired when i wrote this

i can re-write this entire thing for you to understand but i have a feeling that you are one of those sad people that intentionally looking for grammatical errors
>>
>>560206
it is probably true in some situations. i would still take my odds as a 3d artist over a musician though b/c musician is literally all about whether or not you have a marketable appearance. if i had a marketable appearance though i would try musician :)
>>
>>560208
like i literally dont care about grammatical errors, this was just actually not understandable
>>
>>560147
somewhere between programming and drawing, with drawing being put slightly before music

it also depends on what type of "3d artist" you are. Certain types of 3d are in more of a demand than others.
But to answer your tl;dr question, probably, unless you couldn't see yourself doing anything else.

>>560148
m8, the majority of programming jobs are not for video games. There's far more money to be made outside of making games if you know how to code.
>>
>>560209
i disagree, let me rephrase

a musician makes most of his money performing in clubs,bars,restaurants,hotels and other venues that people go to. there will always be a need for a band to make music, even if there are plenty muscians out there. its still a hassle to carry your rig, show your face,sing,dance and play guitar. and there is also talent involved, some people are just great performers, others arent.
so if you feel like you can make money off music, you will be better off making music. because the number of musicians i know is much bigger than the number of 3d artists i know. and its mostly because you can make a living off selling your skills when it comes to music.

with 3D it gets a little tricky. people only commission 3D artwork when they are absolutely 100% sure they want to make a game or a short film, and you can't count on that.
other than that, lets take for example the absolute peak of where a 3D artist can reach - which is a lead character modeler. that dude is making a 100k at best and a musician with comparable level of skill can probably make much more.
>>
>>560213
>because the number of musicians i know is much bigger than the number of 3d artists i know.
anecdotal evidence, friend.

>and its mostly because you can make a living off selling your skills when it comes to music.
you're making a living selling your skills when it comes to 3d, too.

>and a musician with comparable level of skill can probably make much more.
I don't think you can compare a lead character modeler to a musician if we're talking "comparable level of skill".
The skillsets are too different. What they do is too different. You aren't ever going on tour as a 3D character modeler.
The only thing in common is that you're "selling your skills", and they're both creative fields. Two things that can't really be compared.

What would even qualify as a comparable level of skill between these two fields?
Obviously the top .001% of all musicians make an absurd amount of money, but you can't compare the top end of all musicians to the top end of all 3D artists.

You can't even compare the top earning musicians to the average musician salary. It's too far of a gap, it's considered an outlier.
>>
>>560216
>Obviously the top .001% of all musicians make an absurd amount of money, but you can't compare the top end of all musicians to the top end of all 3D artists.

why not?
we might have been brainwashed to believe that 80% of the world plays video games and there is a constant need for content.
but tell me, do asset store not serve a purpose? do free models don't serve a purpose? you can't make an asset store of some random fucking sound snippets and compose a song, you still need good composition skills. with 3D you can make mash a bunch of shit together from an asset pack because its different. you can buy forest nature pack and make a fucking forest, without having to model a single blade of grass.
>>
>>559707

Sent my portfolio everywhere after having found local studios via LinkedIn (looking where people had worked, it snowballs from there).

I'm a character artist. I was given free reign over my characters from the start and they were accepted by the client so I guess I did alright ?
>>
Networked my ass off. got a 2 week gig doing character rigs, and on it rolls.
>>
>>560109
>>560108
>This engine is better than this other engine
>better
fucking plebs both of you
>>
>>560885
Could I see some of your work?
>>
taught myself 3d whilst studying something else at uni, applied to a few different motion design studios for junior pos with shitty reel i made doing random shit work.

Got job at a small boutique studio in London with only 5-6 employees, had a super generalist role doing everything from particle sims, to cell animation, to editing and character animation etc etc, stayed there for like 3 years and pretty much made it my life for a bit. I was pretty strong and was only made a junior for a year, then i got promoted to just a motion designer.. Left there about 2 years ago and at a much better studio now, I literally got lucky to scrape a job, but I learnt more there than I probably will at any other place..
>>
File: unknown-1.png (178KB, 464x772px) Image search: [Google]
unknown-1.png
178KB, 464x772px
>>562320

Working on this right now.

Mind you the stuff I sent had skin on it
>>
>>562368
spooky
>>
(almost) professional indie game developer with a small budget here.

Where do I find you competent aspiring artists?
Those experienced artists have expectations way above my pay grade.
>>
>>562459
>Those experienced artists have expectations way above my pay grade.

isn't that a given? what did you expect?
artists with experience and shipped titles will have to be paid in full.
but there are still alot of artists looking for work
what are you looking for exactly?
>>
Previz for a movie this January

After 2 weeks working basically withoug guidance the director comes in
>holy shit this is way more advanced than what I asked for my assistant to hire lmao, I don't understand this shit.

Then he sent me to work directly with the company that would do vfx for the film, ended up being pretty cool.

Now I'm working as a junior compositor in another company close by
>>
>>560109
There's no bigger cancer than unity fanbase
>>
>>562655
t. numale
>>
1.Learned Blender online, took me about 1 year of thoughtful studying.
2.Did money by growing&selling MJ those times
3.Finally found my first one time 3D job on a local freelance website (small tech viz project)
4.Going well since that, create many kinds of 3D stuff 4 living from tech viz to jewelry modeling.
Thanks god I'm not selling drugs anymore
>>
>>562655
Blender
>>
>>562670
MJ is legal where I am
>>
>>562944
then sell heroin
>>
>>562948
No
>>
>>562941
*DAZ and POSER
>>
>>560218
Probably too late but have you thought about what you said? Yes you could get a bunch of samples for free and if they were bespoke enough you could probably make a decent track, in fact many people take wank samples of other things and make geary mixes out of them but 99% of the time they're pretty forgettable/downright terrible.

In 3D that is exactly the same predicament. Artfully chosen, you could take some root pieces and construct a scene although it would be really difficult to make it cohesive since unless they were the same author/art style they would clash.

Arch Viz sums this up pretty well as well, since a big chunk of it is generic pre modelled assets thrown together - not too dissimilar from pop songs, generic samples layered together with a vague understanding of what's appealing.

What are you saying chum?
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.