[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hair&Fur in video games

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: attachment[1].jpg (641KB, 2000x950px) Image search: [Google]
attachment[1].jpg
641KB, 2000x950px
How do you make planes with hair or fur accurately follow a mesh in a video game?

I asume you can't link them to bones, because it would leave huge chunks of a mesh without hair when deforming, or horribly stretched, and in the case of facial animations, when using pose morphs, you can't really move every single plane along for every single pose.

Would some kind of surface constraint be viable for a video game?
>>
i think you can use fibermesh in zbrush then covert it to planes or something.

im not entirely sure. you can do it manually too, but you will need some nice hair alphas
>>
>>558504
sounds like you know very little about what you're posting about. A bone in computer graphics engines is just a name for a "node", maybe in a hierarchy. So, what you're saying is that a plane cant be linked to an arbitrary node. You're clearly not cut out for this.
>>
>>558513

Fuck you too.

I do know a plane can be linked to a bone, but I don't necessarily want the planes to follow the bones. I want the planes to follow the underlyding mesh weight painted to the bones.

So, I want the planes to follow the underlying mesh, and the mesh to follow the bones. I doubt you're supposed to weight paint the planes to the bones as well.
>>
>>558515
>I doubt you're supposed to weight paint the planes to the bones as well.
>>
>>558515
why would the hair not follow the character? you just need to join the mesh to the head
>>
>>558519

The deal is that I was planning on posing a face in various poses in Zbrush, and then importing the separate poses into a different program to blend between them (for now, I will use Pose Morph tag in C4D, but I'm planning on switching to Maya when I have the time). So, I'm not going to rig the face with bones, because it's unnecessarily complicated for what I'm making.

Whether I use Fibermesh or something else to get the planes, those planes aren't going to stay connected to the underlying mesh when moving the vertices around, and I'd rather not even see the planes when posing the face, to avoid making a horrible mess. The planes would preferably just follow the surface I want them connected to. But, having no experience with using planes for this kind of thing, it's just speculation.
>>
>>558520
why would you pose a face in zbrush? you madman.

first have decent topology then rig then make blend shapes and separate them to different actions (animations)
>>
>>558516

I've tried this, and it's just not happening. It's virtually impossible to give the planes the exact same weight as the underlying geometry when weight painting, so the planes will either go inside the underlying geometry, or stray away from it. The planes cannot follow the joints like the underlying geometry does.
>>
Okay, I think I've found a solution with surface constraint for position and PSR constraint for rotation. I will run more tests to see if it's viable.
>>
>>558520
are blendshapes like you are talking about even viable in games?
>>
>>559366
nope
but unity does have a plugin for importing them
>>
>>559370

What do you mean? How else would games blend between animations, which became somewhat standard in 2007 with games like Uncharted and Assassin's Creed?
>>
>>559418
>How else would games blend between animations

this is done in engine through the animation controller
>>
>>559421
oh anon
>>
>>559366
>>559421
> itt people who have no fucking idea what they're talking about
>>
>>559452
Explain
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.