[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any true oldfags here?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

File: sgi.jpg (40KB, 511x500px) Image search: [Google]
sgi.jpg
40KB, 511x500px
Any true oldfags here?
>>
>>556844
I started with 3DS 2, not 3DS Max 2. Took two hours to render a 30 frames animation in 320x200 on a 486 dx 33. Does that count?
>>
I dabbled already with Softimage 3D 3.7, Maya 2 and 3 Studio Max 1.2. On NT4 though, not on SGI. Just a hobbyist who likes to play with ahem 'liberated' 3D pro Apps.
>>
I first got interested in 3d with truespace 3 and gmax, if that counts.
>>
>>556844
I built shit out of polygons before computers were a thing, if that counts.
>>
>>556844

My first experience with 3d was GMax, which ran like shit on my crap computer

>>556906
Before computers were a thing? We've had computers since the 70s
>>
I started with Maya 2014 and I weep in dismay at the people who had to go by with shitter versions of 3D modelling software.
>>
>>556876
>>556877
>>556905
>>556913
Any samples of the stuff you were making back then?
>>
Started with Autodesk maya 2011. I am a true oldfag.
>>
>>556915
nothing relly worth showing. Also I lost some stuff in hard drive crash.
>>
>>556905
Another TrueSpace 3D user from the 90s.
>>556915
I wish.
>>
>>556876
I started with 4, also DOS. Oh what a difference a 486 66mhz with a math coproccessor made ove the 486 33 without!

I modeled mostly my own movie models, like ED209 from Robocop and star wars battle scenes.
>>
Started with Maya 1. Had Octane and couple of O2s later on as a hobbyist unix machines, never did any work with them but Octane had PowerAnimator, Softimage 3.9(I think that was the latest version..could be lower) and the SI had Godzilla rig demo from the 1998 movie as well. It was also running Flame but I don't remember which version. I played around a lot but unfortunately I lost all the machines. They are damn nice even still. Of course these days it's impossible to any proper work..

I was hunting for Dynamation for ages, and then one guy had it on tape archive but he explained that it needed a dongle etc so it wasn't worth even digging out the binaries.
>>
File: 3dtimeline.jpg (80KB, 1000x259px) Image search: [Google]
3dtimeline.jpg
80KB, 1000x259px
about 20 years here.
>>
>>557720
are you steven stahlberg? :)
>>
File: 1490399841267.jpg (38KB, 564x564px) Image search: [Google]
1490399841267.jpg
38KB, 564x564px
started with maya 4 and cinema 4d xl on a pentium 3 450mhz
>>
Started with Allias and Power Animator back in the Indy days. Maya was a breakthrough, and it just flew like a motherfucker on an O2 box. Softimage was where it was at for animation tho. There was also Flint and Flame for compositing and editing and a NLE called Jaleo which did edits in real time, which at the time cost thousands of dollars. I miss SGI boxes, they were truly made for the artist.
>>
Played with 3ds when it came out.
Started with C4d 6 on a Athlon 800Mhz.
Animated a plane crashing into a huge sykscraper a week before 2 planes crashed into 2 skyscraper.
>>
3DS Max 6 was the first I used.
>>
>>557769
No, what I meant that I started with Maya 1 on NT 4.0 and just fooled around. I kept practicing with different versions. I got a job around the time it was Maya 4 or 5 I think... Then I bought those SGI machines from eBay at some point.

I remember that guy very well, was always a fan.
>>
>>557825
1996 until 2002 or less were magical times. They did breakthrough vfx back then. ILM had O2s for their artists...

I remember reading an article on 3d Artist issue in 1998 - it had Alex Alvarez to demo high resolution character building on Maya 1.0. I was on PC back then was dabbling with Lightwave and the article blew my mind. Before that I had never heard about SGI (well I was a teenager anyway).
>>
>>557847
SGI was ahead of their times. When Microsoft bought and ported Softimage for NT, that was beginning of the end.

Nvidia started up by having all of the SGI engineers.
>>
>>557848
Ahead of time not their
>>
>>557848
only that the SGI boxes were around $30000 - $50000 for an Octane 2 in the 90s. Power Animator or Softimage 3D were around 20000$.
So no luck for hobbyists. So you live in golden times now with high end 3d on the cheap.
>>
>>557848
Well the Indy, O2 and Octane Graphics Architectures were done by what later became Nvidia engineers. The O2 had this crazy UMA where it would use all the ram on the system for the graphics if needed. This method of thinking didn't reappear until the original Xbox, where the Xbox could use all the system memory for graphics tasks if needed. That was a level of optimization at the OS level that I don't think will be seen on any OS anymore because ram is more available than before.
>>
I used clay. Ooga ooga ama.
>>
Started with StrataVision 3D in 1996. Used that for about 4 months, then learned InfiniD.

Soon after that, I got a demo of Cinema 4D v4 on a magazine CD. Quickly became a fan, and used that one for years. Also started using 3dsMax around v4.
>>
>>559536
Damn, I was born in 1997
>>
The first software I used was Anim8or and MilkShape 3D, likely.
>>
>>559987
+1 for MS3D.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.