[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pirating

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 6

File: IMG_2526.jpg (33KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2526.jpg
33KB, 250x250px
How would Autodesk find out if someone were using pirated software and what would happen if someone were to get caught?
>>
>>555986
>How would Autodesk find out if someone were using pirated software

1. If you upload a file with metadata created by the program.
2. If you post evidence that you use the software somewhere that they can check your details against their licensee records, ie. a 3D professional community where you use your real name or link to social media, your linkedin etc.

>what would happen if someone were to get caught?

Depends on the kind of TOS infringement. Knowingly using pirated or educational versions for profit gets you sued for whatever their legal team can claim, companies that do stuff like infringe on maximum amount of installed copies allowed by their license are forced to pay penalties to cover what they would've spent on the license generally. There's this idea that because they don't pursue typical pirate users who don't use the software for profit they won't pursue you if you use the pirate/educational version for profit and that isn't true: if you get caught they will fuck you, hard, with lawyers.
>>
>>555990
I opened this thread expecting the first post bashing OP, but instead it was incredibly useful advice that answers OP's question. Good on you, anon.
>>
>>555990
>1
So uploading to SketchFab or Artststion or some other website wouldn't be smart?
>2
So if you don't post full name on the internet and if one does don't have any evidence of rhem using the software and they're fine right?
>Lastly
How many people do you think use pirated software and make money without getting caught? Not including big businesses
>>
>>555990
How can I avoid gething caught? Im using pirated copy at home and I upload files to various sites to sell 3D model's but I rarely get a buck.

Anyidea?
>>
>>555997
>How many people do you think use pirated software and make money without getting caught? Not including big businesses
All of India, including big businesses
>>
>>555998
Export as .obj, open in text editor and delete any of the comments
>>
>>556004
Anything else?
>>
>>556013
Don't be a dumb idiot and use your real name on the internet when not absolutely necessary.
Usa a firewall and block outgoing traffic from these programs.
Or even better, use an computer for these programs which is never online, an offline workstation so to speak.
Never use torrents when downloading these programs.
>>
>>555997
>So uploading to SketchFab or Artststion or some other website wouldn't be smart?
Not with a pirate version.

>So if you don't post full name on the internet and if one does don't have any evidence of rhem using the software and they're fine right?
They can't prove you're not licensing it if they don't have your details. This doesn't work if you're selling anything, as the files still have metadata and anywhere you could possibly set up the exchange of money necessary to sell something is going to have your details. Since it's hard to determine exactly how far the software goes to leave "Fingerprints" the only definite way to cover your ass is to not use free versions for commercial work, there's less obvious ways of flagging a file and you'll only really know if you take all the extra precautions to scrub your files and still end up getting caught.

>How many people do you think use pirated software and make money without getting caught?
Tonnes of people either out of Autodesk's legal reach (india etc) or hidden purely by numbers. Keep in mind that there's practically no way to be making money off this stuff in the first-world without a paper trail, so the second you go professional and get a real employer the chance of it coming back to bite you in the ass fucktuples proportionally to how big and/or reputable the company is, making it still an absolutely awful idea regardless of your chances of getting caught while you're doing it. Same deal with if you spend 4 years making an indie game and get a publisher: You'll be under more scrutiny. Try to imagine flushing 4 years of effort down the drain *and* getting sued because you were too stubborn to transition to Blender, shell out for a legal copy or find regular employment in the industry - all of which, along with becoming a literal prostitute, are better options for making money than trying to run some kind of bootleg 3D operation.
>>
>>555986

Just download blender FFS. I never saw the point in pirating. Mind you, I'm not poor so that helps.

But let me play an idea for you. not sure if this would work still but it did for a few people I knew back in college.

Call the fucking companies that have whatever program you are looking to "learn to use" ... yes, learn to use. Not to make cheap ching chong potato dick girl shit-tier models you sell for 5 bucks.

There's a very strong chance that they can give you a free to use / learn-able version not always accessible, nor listed like educational copies.

Meaning. You can access a shit ton of stuff , not break any laws ( depending if you really care or are from so no name 3rd world shit hole. )

I did it for Lightwave, had a better version than what students get but without paying 1,500 for it. Since I didn't know if I would like it, want to learn it. 90 days using it moved onto other programs.

After riding every fucking 3D software out there. I can honestly say Blender / Zbrush / Clip Studio are all I need. For all I do.

Maya was total shit and embarrassing to use. How anyone thinks its top quality just shows how closed minded people are. I found Lightwave much better to use, but is lacks in areas Blender of all things can do better.

Can't speak for any other limited free shit, or programs no longer being developed or used. I tried the top 15 or so last 20 years. For me... not you. Blender won out. It could easily fuck up, hopefully it won't. I'd be lost on what to use then.
>>
>>556097
>Maya was total shit and embarrassing to use. How anyone thinks its top quality just shows how closed minded people are. I found Lightwave much better to use, but is lacks in areas Blender of all things can do better.
/3/ is WAY too slow for this degree of trolling
>>
>>556100
>>556097
He probably used it before 2015 area, where it got a huge overhaul and was really quite shit in the modelling department. Alongside all the animating and rigging updates, Maya was worse than 3DS Max in that era. I am assuming he hasn't used Maya in years, as he's said he's experienced them all.
>>
File: Key-and-Peele-Sweating-Small.gif (128KB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
Key-and-Peele-Sweating-Small.gif
128KB, 400x225px
>>556018

Not OP

But what about using a pirated version of 3ds max for only art purposes and Sketchfab uploads?

I just wanna fuck around and make things and better myself. I don't get any money what so ever from my creations, as it's just a fun side hobby.
>>
>>556097
I've used Maya since 2012, and before that Max. Recently downloaded Blender so that i can open.blend files and can easily say Blender is a clusterfuck of autism that thinks it has to do everything differently and just makes every process slower.
Maya 2012 was way better than Blender in 2012, and Max started getting left behind as Maya got updated.
>>
File: 1489807956460.gif (1003KB, 250x251px) Image search: [Google]
1489807956460.gif
1003KB, 250x251px
Do most companies use Maya? Is practicing with a pirated version of Maya a good idea if I want to get a job?
>>
>>556108
>>556126
Tonnes of people practice with pirate versions, it's normal, Autodesk don't really care because to them you may as well just be on an educational license unless you're selling something, it's practically the same thing.
That said, who can't get an educational license these days? I'm pretty sure they even stopped asking for the school details that most people just straight up lied about.
>>
>>556144

Nice, Thanks for the info anon. Interesting they removed the school details part.
>>
>>556097
You don't use Photoshop?
>>
>>556153

He probably uses GIMP
>>
>>556153
Speaking of Photoshop, is that just as easy to detect as Autodesk Software if you're using it for UV Textures?
>>
>>556162

They could embed the serial number in the meta data. I don't know if they do this, but if they did, you could strip it with a JPEG cleaner.

Alternatively, just copy paste the image into a different program and save it.
>>
Student fag here, most instructors I talked to say their programs have never been updated past like maya 2012 for animation.

These are studios in Vancouver that animate stuff for TV and some movies.
>>
>>555990
What if I started a project with the educational version then finished it later when I bought a real license?
>>
>>556171
Also against TOS. Keep in mind that neither publishers nor Autodesk need the proof that the project started in an educational edition to figure out how fishy it looks when someone buys a one month license and then suddenly comes up with a whole project worth of models in that timeframe.
>>
File: 333667.jpg (23KB, 460x413px) Image search: [Google]
333667.jpg
23KB, 460x413px
So why not do your shit in max or whatever, export the obj, import it in Blender and then export it from there, without any infringement issues?
>>
>>556175
Cleaning the metadata doesn't immunize you from "Infringement issues" and just saving it with Blender doesn't even clean the metadata to begin with. You can try to scrub files all you want, and chances are your precautions will be sufficient to protect you if absolutely all you're doing is low-profile bootlegging out of India or something, but the potential risks more than outweigh any money you might theoretically be earning even if you do everything you can think of to cover your tracks. The moment you get paid for it, there's a record. The moment that record exists your real identity is forever linked with the sale of illegally produced products, and from that point onwards any minuscule thing that you miss could be the thing that fucks you. May as well just suck dick or figure out one of the billion legal ways to sell your work while learning, bootlegging is about the dumbest thing you could do to try to make money in this industry given all of your options.
>>
You people are retarded.
>>
>>556183
/agdg/ disagrees:

>>>/vg/171379678
>this is such a fucking joke

>is this adobe astroturfing or something?

>how about you actually go get a law degree and learn what you are talking about, retard.

>First of all, it is not illegal to use cracked adobe software.

>Secondly, the files that you create are yours alone unless they are derivative or contain a substantial copyright work, for example if adobe put a large peom into the file format and claimed that this means that if you share the .psd then you need their permission for copyright on their poem which is embedded in part of the .psd file layout.

>Except something retarded like that wouldn't actually hold up in court and adobe would be shit out of luck.

>The only way you can be persecuted is if you redistribute to other people copies of adobe software, or if you share cracking tools as that would be a DMCA violation.

>but if someone gives you a copy of cracked adobe software you can use that and proudly admit it and you have 0 legal liability
>>
Op here,

So basically just use Blender until I can afford 3dsMax
>>
>>556204
dude just download 3dsmax in like 5 minutes from cgp. Are you too retarded?
>>
>>555986

dude. just lie and say you're in college.
>>
>>555990

actually i was thinking OP meant not for profit... your post was helpful.
>>
>>556194
>First of all, it is not illegal to use cracked adobe software.
>Except something retarded like that wouldn't actually hold up in court and adobe would be shit out of luck.
this fucking idiot.

https://www.law360.com/articles/771306/adobe-settles-with-forever-21-over-pirated-photoshop

http://www.thefashionlaw.com/home/forever-21-adobe-settle-lawsuit-over-the-retailers-pirated-copies-of-photoshop

http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/29/7948241/forever-21-pirating-photoshop-adobe-corel-autodesk

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/adobe-sues-forever-21-for-stealing-photoshop-10014077.html

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/fashion/adobe-sues-21-allegedly-pirating-photoshop-article-1.2099662

it's happened before. nothing to say it won't happen again.
The reality is that these big companies will probably never pursue an individual for doing this, but it's still within the realm of possibility.
>>
File: audit.jpg (169KB, 800x342px) Image search: [Google]
audit.jpg
169KB, 800x342px
>>556194
You get audited. They've made themselves a pretty airtight case for being able to do this in the TOS, and it obviously works because they do it *all the fucking time*. They're notorious for it, in fact.
And because employers don't want to get audited, selling your work made with an illegal copy or outside of TOS is the fastest way to earn an industry blacklist because of the amount of evidence you leave behind the moment you start selling something. It's just a massive can of worms that you don't want to open when you can just use Blender or a cheaper piece of software with a one-time license like Modo Indie. Pirating for personal educational use is relatively risk free, because they want you to be a professional using their software and you have to get there somehow, but you're still not totally safe legally.
>>
>>556097

This is me, not trolling I'm tired of people saying this shit to each other. I am wasting my time apparently. But will answer a few of you. Minimally.

I used Maya in 2016 again. No it sucks for me. FOR ME <--- READ THIS.

>>556124

If blender is to hard for you then stay with what you know. Its so fucking easy to learn, you are just a neckbeard defending maya blindly, I don't give a fuck what you say. People like you are what retards like OP should avoid listening too.

>>556153
>>556157

I don't use photoshop, I did when I was a teen but I learned photosho pisn't only game in town. I don't use gimp. Gimp is something linux people push and I had the misfortune of wasting a single 3 months learning linux for extra credits in my college. I won't touch gimp or use linux ever again.

2 minutes wasted.

Argue and insult like usual.
>>
>>556259
>I don't use photoshop
kys my man
>>
>>556240
Uh, this is for studios to make sure they didn't buy one copy and then somehow install it multiple times with cracks or some other nonsense that hasn't been relevant in a decade.

The reality is if you pirate it, make your shit without showing anyone the program, and export it to a generic format they'll never know and have no right to audit you.

Of course, it's still better to just use Blender if you're working with animations or get Modo Indie 10 if you're working on games. If you're too lazy to learn blender's UI but willing to risk piracy and the nasty business that comes with the cracking community then you're a retard.
>>
>>555986
Autodesk hasn't turned full Foundry yet, which was bought by The Carlyle Group and eversince went full jew. They set up a department that sends out mass emails to people which look like scam because they are automatically generated. What they did is they program their software to phone home and sent the IP adress and then they force you to pay for the license and "investigation fee" which can be as much as they want. There is one guy who brought his laptop to work and the program used the company network to log in and eventually The Foundry wanted him to pay 196k in licenses and fee. Crazy shit.
>>556170
Most big studios use their own versions of Maya anyway. I think Pixar and ILM use their own modified version of Maya 2009 still, or something like that.
But Maya has made huge improvements over the last couple of years, I wouldn't wanna miss it.

There are companies like Redshift who almost perfected the way to make their software uncrackable and when they get cracked they focus all their energy on fixing the holes.+

Autodesk has had the same "activation" method for more than a decade now. They don't really give a crap about the little guy, even if you make a little money. But naturally, do everything that is possible to make yourself invisible.
If you make money with their software, don't document yourself using it. Especially don't share your shit with other studios. I know a small studio team that is using pirated software and they only deliver the finished product, they don't give out the source data to clients.

And for fuck's sake, stop the Blender meme.
>>
>>556271
Infringing studios still get audited on the reg, generally CAD ones because that shit is $cash$money$, and they can audit you for (according to the TOS): cracking the software at all, using educational version out of license for commercial work, installing it on more than the allowed number of systems. So if the debate's purely focused on whether or not they can hurt you legally, they absolutely can. Will they? Probably not, but being super secretive about how you produce your work doesn't do you any favors at best and is actively destructive to your career at worst, sketch-ass individuals don't get hired by anyone but sketch-ass companies.
>>
>>556294
What exactly is this, "Blender meme"?
>>
>>556304
Stop it.
>>
>>555986
Autodesk is prety lenient, from what I've heard.

Years ago I watched Anuxi's (one of the most successful Dota 2 Workshop artists) stream on Twitch and she talked about how she met with Autodesk representatives just as she was starting to be successful. She basically admitted to them that she was using pirated versions of their software, and they more or less just told her to get a legit version as soon as she was making enough money to afford it.
>>
>>556308
if you stream yourself using pirated software, you may get caught. If you dont stream yourself you'll never get caught.

Is this seriously too hard for you to comprehend?
>>
>>556294
Redshift got cracked 24h after somebody leaked an installer. They haven't perfected anything they just track the people they sell floating license to and they somehow watermark their installer so they can see who leaked it.
Thats it, the moment another installer gets out, there will be another cracked version.
>>
>>556305
Genuinely curious. Is it not good or something?
>>
>>556312

>if you stream yourself using pirated software, you may get caught. If you dont stream yourself you'll never get caught.
>Is this seriously too hard for you to comprehend?

Did I ever claim otherwise? What the hell is your problem?

All I'm saying is that Autodesk has, in the past, turned a blind eye to people using pirated copies of their software, even if they were making money off of it.

If you're not running a company or making an absolute killing as a freelancer they probably won't care.
>>
>>556308
They're lenient when it comes to single people or very small studios. They crack down hard on bigger ones when they're in a country where they can do shit.
>>
>>556294
First time I'm hearing about this $196,000 lawsuit. I guess you really can't trust those fuckin jews, that's even worse than Autodesk.

Does Autodesk even sue individuals like that?
>>
>>556318

please someone answer. I thought of Blender as a good free alternative to industry standard modeling 3D packages
>>
>>556304
>>556318
>>556429

you got meme'd
if it gets the job done, it gets the job done

but blender really doesn't offer the same capabilities as maya, modo or houdini

and if you wanna work on bigger jobs or in a serious studio, you won't get far with blender
>>
>>556433
Can Blender help you get far with other 3D Software though? If I master Blender, will that make learning Maya easier?
>>
>>556433
this is blatantly untrue. anything you can do in 3d modeling can be done in blender.

however it is true that studios as a rule do not use blender, though there are some exceptions howevr that is again the exception rather than the rule.

dont spread blatant misinformation about blender however because youre too stupid to learn the shortcuts and how to configure a software without user friendly pretty boxes
>>
>>556435
the general understanding of it, sure

currently I'm learning houdini and my application of choice for years was maya, and it certainly helps with the understanding of it
but houdini is still quite a different way of working (procedural)
the biggest mindfuck you will probably have switching from blender to another program later is the interface
>>
>>556439
>this is blatantly untrue. anything you can do in 3d modeling can be done in blender.

this is literally what I said, asscunt

>however it is true that studios as a rule do not use blender, though there are some exceptions howevr that is again the exception rather than the rule.

yes, little b-ware studios that don't make bank

>dont spread blatant misinformation about blender however because youre too stupid to learn the shortcuts and how to configure a software without user friendly pretty boxes

have fun being irrelevant
>>
>>556442

nah theres a guy at blizzard and i believe bethesda? too if im not mistaksn, also the studio that makes CoD game

fact is anyone thats a skilled 3d artist can use any fucking program and learn a new one in a week and they still have a job because of 1 thing, talent. muh arbitrary program is a meme

stay mad autokuck, surely bioware will hired you to animate the next lgbt romance cutscene in dragonage..
>>
>>556444
lol if you think people just waltz in with blender in their resume you are highly mistaken my friend.
it does happen but the expectation is not the rule
>>
>>556444

>Spend 1 week to LEARN a software
>Talent

Pick one, faggot. Talent doesn't exist, practice and discipline do.
>>
>>556457
>Talent doesn't exist
maybe, but eye of detail is a factor.
also you sound like a talentless faggot that likes to project
>>
>>556444
If you can learn Max or Maya in a week, then why don't you do it. Beats having only Blender in your Portfolio.
>>
I have a game being released in the near future months that uses models I created with pirated Maya

If I pay the license, and re-export the models with the registered software, will that scrub it of all the info that shows I used pirated software?
>>
>>556467
Can you add projects from 3DS/Maya on an educational license to your portfolio?
>>
>>556474
yes
>>
>>556467
Why is having blender on a portfolio so bad if that person is really good at it? (Besides a company saying to know how to use a certain program specifically.)
>>
>>556473
you have to start over
>>
>>556476
Everyone here makes you believe otherwise. It's not bad at all. It makes your portfolio more diverse.

Of course the little factors to take into consideration:

When working on a team project, it makes sense to use the same program as everyone else in department (maya, c4d, max) That's why there is a bit of emphasis to learn the industrialized programs.

Using Blender won't matter too much as long as you know how to use the others.

As long as you can succeed in your workflow and give the boss what they want, it sometimes won't matter what program you use, just as long as you can get it done by a time frame/crunch.

That being said, blender sucks ass on it's animation editor, along side it's game engine. The editor it has is pretty lame. But that's a good reason to learn the others. I know several people who model and unwrap in blender, export to zbrush, and then animate in maya or c4d, and then finalize composition in AE or nuke. Lots of programs and lots of knowledge in how each ones work for like 10 seconds of footage.
>>
>>556259
>2 minutes wasted.
I respect you for that
>>
>>556476
depends where you work.

for stuff like product design,interiors,commercials,concept design,game modeling etc blender is ok

but for stuff like vfx industry or animation no one will touch you with a 10 foot pole.
a large part of this industry is so old fashioned they even still teach lightwave at certain places.
>>
>>555986

>Model in Max
>Export FBX
>Open FBX in Blender
>Export FBX again

There you go, their little metadata is gone, sell and enjoy.
>>
>>556126

Actually, there's a lot more to this than you'd think.

While they'd never publicly promote pirating their software, obviously because that's a can of worms best left unopened, companies like Adobe and Autodesk probably LOVE that home users and up-and-comers pirate their software. The reason being is because the more people who work from day 1 using Photoshop, Premiere, Maya, etc just means more and more industry professionals are going to be experienced solely with those softwares.

What does that mean? It means in time, more and more businesses (the real bread and butter of their profits) are going to just start using these softwares since everyone they're hiring is experienced with it.

More marketshare, more business licenses, more profits.
>>
>>556294
>There are companies like Redshift who almost perfected the way to make their software uncrackable and when they get cracked they focus all their energy on fixing the holes.+

Redshift was cracked 6 updates ago and the crack still works to the latest version, so...
>>
>>557430
I remember one of my college professors saying the same thing. they don't actually mind if people pirate their software because the companies are the ones paying for the licenses.
>>
>>555986
Use the pirated or the edu version until you become a pro.
Then buy that shit if you want to earn money.
>>
>>557435
You're buttfucked if you keep pirating while earning money though
>>
>>557501
nobody will know m7
>>
>>557501
holy shit, welcome to the conversation.

In order to get started you have to come from somewhere. How would you even know if this is what you want to do for a living? Once you start making money, the first thing you do is put it all into a license or work for a place that does. All of these developers could give a fuck less because all of the money they receive is from selling licenses to businesses
>>
>>557429
Can anyone confirm this?
>>
File: IMG_2641.jpg (26KB, 250x249px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2641.jpg
26KB, 250x249px
What if you model with a pirated program and post it on sketchfab? (Without making any money on anything you make). Anything wrong with that?
>>
>>557429
Does this work for Maya too?
>>
>>557516
yea, i can confirm. have been doing it for years now and nothing happend
Thread posts: 80
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.