[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this a meme or is it actually worth it?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 4

File: blender-socket.png (53KB, 1280x400px) Image search: [Google]
blender-socket.png
53KB, 1280x400px
Is this a meme or is it actually worth it?
>>
its actually good but you will need a few stuff.

install this addon http://3dwolf.weebly.com/materials.html
>>
definitely worth it.
>>
this guy seems to take it pretty seriously

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbtZ39hm_WU
>>
Every time I pop into Blender from Maya to do something I rage at the UI design decisions.

Sure you can get good. But holy fuck is it shittily designed. Up to you whether it's worth doing.
>>
Just a hobby: Blender. Want to make a living: Maya + Zbrush.
>>
>>555807

honestly this Anon has it. its not even that blender is lol hobby tier.

in a studio almost everywhere will be runing and autodesk/zbrush pipeline.

if you work true freelance from home, you could use blender, but if any client wants working files then you are fucked anyway.
>>
I would add that for me personally Blender makes more sense, but that's just because I know how to code Python very well, am familiar with the interface and am a solo dev. Zbrush and Maya don't make economical sense on a shoestring budget trying to gamedev on the side.
>>
>>555810
Maya has excellent Python scripting.
>>
>>555812
Last time I looked only the full version had Python scripting support. The full version is thousand of bucks. Indie version has only MEL and the educational version they will cut your balls if you sell what you make with it.
>>
File: 1453198304678.jpg (31KB, 433x419px) Image search: [Google]
1453198304678.jpg
31KB, 433x419px
>>555817
>and the educational version they will cut your balls if you sell what you make with it.
>everyone in this general >>>/vg/171234774 thinks there's no way they will be caught
>>
>>555902
>/agdg/
99% of posters in that thread are terminally retarded spergs anyway, they deserve it.
>>
Too many cancerous people use it, so I can't get into it without it leaving a bad taste in my mouth.
>>
>>555918
that's excusive to /3/ in other blender communities there is a serious advocacy on improvement
>>
>>555918
Trust me anon. there is some truth >>555919 says.

However in response to OP, I'd say it's up to you. Are you looking to be professional or Hobby? If it's the former, I wouldn't recommend it being used solo.
>>
>>555918
congratulations, you've allowed the internet to give you permanent brain damage
>>
>>555774
Worth what anon? It's free?
>>
>>555918
If you think about it, too many cancerous people use spoons and toilets and cars and all kinds of tools....
If you can't stand the constant bad taste in your mouth i'd suggest suicide. But don't take a gun....to many cancerous people use guns...use a lawnmower or something.
>>
it's free. what the fuck do you mean by "is it worth it"?

it's worth whatever depending on what you want out of it.
If you want to sell shit online blender is the most economical choice so you don't get fucked by autodesk's legal department's dick.
if you're asking if it's worth learning to work professionally in a studio, no, because most studios don't use blender.

use your brain, fuck's sake.
>>
>>555931
what op is asking, since blender is an open source software developed by college kids in their free time. is it good as maya or 3ds?

that's his question lads.
>>
>>555937
For the type of activities he'll be doing as a beginner it probably is actually as good as Maya or 3DSMax
>>
>>555921
TRIGGERED
>>
>>555902
They're kinda right. It's almost impossible to get caught unless it's internally reported. Using a cracked version is probably safer though.

That said if you get caught they'll probably sue
>>
>>555966

How do people get caught besides being dobbed in. Is there metadata or anything I should be worried about?
>>
BLENDER IS MAINLY AIMED FOR BEGINNERS AND HAS A WDE RANGE OF USES . WHO IS GONNA BUY AUTODESK FOR THOUSANDS AT THE FIRST DAY:
>>
>>555930

Nobody autistically shills for spoons or toilets. If you had met the fuckheads I've met who use this program, whose only interest is this very program, you would hate it too.
>>
>>555971
The most common way is that they post screenshots of the interface in a place where it can be linked to their real name. Not even kidding.
>>
>>555971
Autodesk's proprietary files contain comments or tags that will say the license kind but they should never even be able to get their hands on the original file. You'd probably be exporting it to obj, which will have a comment about what program was used to generate the obj, but probably nothing about license.
>>
this entire board i fucking cancer
>>
>>555976
free trials are free
>>
>>555806

It's not shitty designed, it just means you use Maya more.
>>
Anyone who says blender is aimed at beginners is wrong. Blender is up there with Maya and others, it's just weird and worse in a few areas, it does have the biggest community and the most tutorials. So no, blender is not a meme.
>>
>>556033
Except every tutorial is 10 versions behind and all the new ones are withheld by a paywall from like 5 people who only make money from their tutorials and websites.

Even then, there are tutorials on cgpeers and persia but then you have to register and make sure you keep a clean ratio.

Then there's the foreign youtubers who can barely speak English but is gonna teach me for the next few hours? No thanks
>>
>>556035
Then use an older version. Using the latest and greatest is a bad meme. When you work in a corporate environment you generally use the version the lead agrees on and try to stick to it for as long as possible so there's parity between team members.

Also, cgpeers has been freeleech forever afaik. It's in perpetual beta mode.
>>
File: 0550635001481600520.jpg (11KB, 288x266px) Image search: [Google]
0550635001481600520.jpg
11KB, 288x266px
>>556035

As opposed to all those not-paywalled tutorials for 3dsmax and Maya...
>>
How is it for Archviz?
Could really save a lot of money with using Blender + UE4...
>>
>>556053
you have archimesh which makes work really fast for archviz
>>
>>555806
There's reasons for the ui design choice. It's helpful to note that when blender went open source a lot of people added features onto it to aid their own work flow, and some of those modifications became default. As a result from this blender became more robust, but less user friendly.
>>
>>556068
It looks just as shitty as it did when i first tried it in 2004.
>>
>>556070
I never said it was pretty. Just that people have added functionality over time and thus cluttered the program. If you can understand the basic layout of blender and its history of updates then you'll see why the ui is the way it is. To put it in layman's terms: there are too many tools for any other generalized ui format.

Also you have the option to rework the ui. You have the source codes, among other built in ui options to choose from.
>>
>>556071
its godawful. It looks godawful. It turns people off. Its literally an embarrassment.
>>
>>556074
>looks godawful and is an embarrassment
Did Blender murder your parents in an alley or something? The UI is fine, it's legitimately not that hard to get used to. If you're switching from a different program I get how it might be an issue, but you're making a mountain out of a molehill.
>>
>>556076
>The UI is fine,
99/100 people would disagree with u
>>
>>556077
You x99 isn't a majority. I've worked with blender just fine. You can't speak for anything about blender because you don't use it. You don't know anything about the program beyond the default layouts you probably couldn't navigate.

There's a book for peogle like you: Blender for Dummies.
>>
>>556076
It's really not fine. The UI design is really just horrible and they have no intention of fixing it, on the contrary they've even suggested that it's better off being terrible.

And I say this as someone who got over the 20 hour hump and can use it for basic needs somewhat fluently. Yes, it's very powerful and for the price of free, monetarily and intellectually, it's amazing what you get. But as a user friendly program it's pretty bad and no where near on par with most commercial programs.
>>
>>556079
>99/100 isnt a majority
anon...you're in heavy denial
>>
>>556085
Anon.. you've only met people who prefer other layouts to blender. I bet I could count the amount of people you've heard express their disapproval of the ui on two hands. This is not including anyone from 4chinz because for all you know it can be one person shilling so that people fall for the "paid is better" meme.

Denial or not. I get my work done in blender without problems. I've learned how to edit, navigate the ui, and hotkey efficiently.
>>
>>556077
>>556083
Are you the same kinds of people who can't tolerate Unix without a GUI because it's "not user friendly"? You could show a stickshift to someone who's used an automatic their whole life and hear complaints about how "it's uncomfortable and hard to use" - it isn't, you dummy, you just have to learn HOW.
>>
>>556071
>To put it in layman's terms: there are too many tools for any other generalized ui format.
this is biased apologist bullshit and you know it.

Maya and blender have essentially the same tools by now, yet Maya is able to have a decent looking UI without shitting itself and telling you to memorize 100+ hotkeys just to use the program.
Maya can be learned in a week. Blender takes far longer because of the autistic 90s freeware layout.

It really is a shame, because I wanted to like the program. It's fucking free and can do mostly everything Maya can do, but the UI really is awful.
>>
>>556096
>this is biased apologist bullshit and you know it
Every opinion is biased you tard.
The program doesn't even have half the funding of most programs, and yet it meets the same basic goals.
Apparently the earlier posts went above your head, because I provided legitimate reasons for the design choices. I won't repost. You can find them yourself itt.

What I do know is that you're trying really hard for those (you)s. Sour here is your (you).
>>
There are 2 types of 3D modelers, ones with a job, and ones that peek in from the window, sobbing because they aren't the industry standard
>>
>>556110
What about animators, uv unwrapers and texture mappers?
What about those few who go beyond the industry standard?

Anon, define industry standard.
>>
>>556087

You can customize the UI a whole lot more than any of the other programs. Last time i checked those didn't allow configuring complex specific behaviors like "if i press a key while holding down the left mouse button while rotating an object, then change the axis i'm rotating by and then apply that rotation as soon as i let go". Not to mention that all the UI is auto-generated from template files in Python that are completely accessible in the program's subfolders...

There's even a Maya and a Max keyboard preset selectable right in the splash screen, but none of those who criticize the UI have actually looked that far into it. They prefer to repeat the old meme because it's easier than learning new software.
>>
>>556101
>blender UI is shit because of funding and lack of manpower

bullshit excuse.
anyway, if you are coming from maya then configure your menu's and hotkeys before you use blender.
better sooner than later. iv been using blender for a year and only recently changed the layout, the default settings are too much of a burden
>>
>>555774
Is just like gimp, can gimp do the things that photoshop do? some of them, but the workflow is weird and different. I use max now and had been using blender and maya, to me max is more like blender, the modeling tools in maya are horrible to me, I h8 duplicate special and all that weird tools is better the modifier stack
>>
>>556184
gimp is a piece of shit tho.
krita is a good example of open source done well
>>
>>556185
I know gimp is shit, the developers are tards wich is even worst, was just an example
>>
>>556182
>bullshit excuse
Sure thing buddy. Someday you'll realize exactly how the real world works.
>>
blender is only good for Minecraft animations.
>>
File: IMG_2552.jpg (62KB, 620x670px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2552.jpg
62KB, 620x670px
>>556529
This
>>
>>556534
https://youtu.be/Z8l8WNHwTOg
>>
>>556529
So it's not good for anything
>>
>>556184
Max is still the most robust and powerful modeling program around. The sheer number of modifiers alone covers almost every stupid thing you can think of and makes it fairly quick to do and if you come across something the vanilla options don't cover there's a script or two for it. It's a fucking mystery why Autodesk is trying to push Maya instead of just fixing Max.

Max vs Blender is like comparing an industrial tool to a prosumer or high-end hobbyist tool. One's good enough for most stuff but the other is considerably more powerful as far as modeling is concerned.
>>
>>556569
max is babby level compared to modo
>>
>>556570
I occasionally hear that Modo is great and I'm tempted to try out their indie version but them being spying jews is a little scary. But what's better about it anyway?
>>
>>556569

I'd love to see you alter a character with fur's topology without destroying the fur in the process using said industrial professional high-end tool.
>>
>>556610
Duplicate > change topoly > copy modifier > paste
>>
>>556035
Did you stumble into a Blender 2.4x tutorial about Stride Roots or Radiosity or something? 90% of the shit seen in these tutorials can be applied to virtually any later version, assuming you can work any UI differences and hope that a feature wasn't deprecated or removed.
>>
>>555979
>skubfags act like assholes
>decide to hate skub instead of the skubfags

You realize that's retarded, right? You're being an irrational idiot.
>>
>>555937
>developed by college kids in their free time.

You know it's developed by adults, that were originally selling 3d software in the 90s, and are paid from crowd funding, right?
Thread posts: 70
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.