[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Blender Help Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 13

File: blender 2017-03-16 19-18-13-18.webm (507KB, 960x508px) Image search: [Google]
blender 2017-03-16 19-18-13-18.webm
507KB, 960x508px
Instead of making a new thread every time I have a problem, thought I'd make a thread like this anyone can use.

Anyway, beginner here, following a tutorial. Can someone explain the problem in this webm? I don't get it. The UV Wrap is on the manually painted layout, yet the texture remains black. Also, I was island selecting on the UV Layout in the second half of the webm, and for some reason, it only selected individual faces.

When I initially unwrapped (last night), I unwrapped as "Smart UV Project" for the first time, and it worked just fine; I could island select the whole thing, and when I painted the map, I could see it in material mode. However, ever since saving, exiting, then reloading the next day, it's become broken and I have no understanding of why.

I was following this tutorial (fast forward to 17:30):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WBLj1Y8fBA

and I followed it exactly, even with the same Blender file.
>>
do you have lights in your scene? try shadeless material. swap between material view and texture viewmode.
and maybe try textured solid in solid view
>>
>>555720
Lights shouldn't matter because I was only in material view.

Anyway, don't worry. I found the problem was the image texture in the node editor, which was still using an old UV image for some reason.
>>
How in blender would you take an armature and threshold all weights on all bones making them all rigid either 1.0 or 0 per bone? In 3dsmax this was simply done with the "rigid" checkbox.
>>
>>556119
Shape Keys and Drivers. See this tutorial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vN6XCpDWDcg
>>
File: noblend.jpg (44KB, 800x404px) Image search: [Google]
noblend.jpg
44KB, 800x404px
>>556158

That video is not what I was asking for, I am not looking for shape keys/vertex morphing for facial animation, Im looking to produce hard weights in an armature.

I made a pic to show what I mean. On the left is blended weights and on the right is hard 1 or 0. Im asking how does one take an existing rigged armature and threshold all weights on bones to look like the right example so there is no blended weights at all; just 1 bone per rigged vertex.
>>
File: Like this.webm (1MB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
Like this.webm
1MB, 720x480px
>>556419
Not that anon, but I'm pretty sure you can do that with vertex groups.

Just assign your armature with empty weights, and select the vertecies you want and set the vertex weight.
See my webm (hopefully you can make out what I'm doing, the export got fucked).

I'm pretty sure you can do it with an already rigged armature, I think blender creates the vertex groups automatically when you parent the armature.
If not, you're going to have to do it manually.

I don't know if this was the answer you were looking for, but in any case, hopefully this helps on some degree.
>>
Does Blender have the equivalent of Max's symmetry modifier?

I don't want to do some autistic aligned cutting and then use mirror that doesn't even work correctly.

I have an asymmetric model that somehow got fucked up and I want to make it symmetric along the x-axis at position 0 so it's perfectly even.
>>
>>556483
W > Symmetrize
>>
>>556492
Thanks.

And is there a way to get modifiers to work on suboject selections? Like FFD on certain parts of an object
>>
>>556431

I already know how to do it manually, but im trying to find an automatic all bones/script to avoid manual vertex group assigning because I have some armatures that have tons of bones and doing manually per bone on an already rigged armature with lots is way too time consuming.
>>
Are there any must have modeling plugins/scripts for blender 2.78?
>>
>>556715
Yes
>>
>>556715
archimesh(comes with latest blender)
pbr materials pack for cycles
rigify (comes with blender i believe)

if you have cash:
hardops
light & hdri manager
retopoflow
auto-rig pro
CGC Shader Pack Vol 1
>>
File: problem.jpg (167KB, 827x1788px) Image search: [Google]
problem.jpg
167KB, 827x1788px
Beginner question here: is there a simple way I can create a new edge to fix this n-gon?

See pic related. As you can see, the left-middle vertice is creating distortion and I want to add a new edge (highlighted with the red line) but not sure how. Loop cut doesn't work and Knife tool doesn't work.
>>
>>559170
Also I forgot to mention, I fixed my problem by manually creating a new vertice (with ctrl+click) where the right edge is, then deleting the right edge, then filling in faces. I just want to know if there's a more practical method.
>>
>>559170
>vertice
nigga its vertex for singular, vertices for plural.

Why is it that most people who are artistically inclined are utter shit at grammar? I see a tendency here.
>>
>>559170
press k and use the knife
>>
>>559195
I already said the Knife tool doesn't work. See this webm.
>>
>>559170
w+s to subdivide for a new vertex and j to connect vertices over face
>>
>>559200
Thanks, works perfectly.

On a side note, does anyone know why the knife tool doesn't work in this webm? >>559198
>>
>>559201
Try pressing enter to finalize
>>
>>559202
I did press enter at 0:07. The cut warped through space and time and resulted in 2 small cuts arbitrarily placed near the thumb.
>>
>>559170
Knife tool (k) from one vertex to another.
Double tap (g) to slide the vertex along the edge.
>>
>>559222
OR from vertex to edge.
>>
I'm trying to make a tail that has stars in it, how would I go about doing this?
All the tutorials for stars seem to be for backgrounds not solid objects.
>>
File: blender_2017-04-05_18-33-30.png (423KB, 1686x752px) Image search: [Google]
blender_2017-04-05_18-33-30.png
423KB, 1686x752px
Fluid won't collide with Fluid obstacle
wat do
>>
>>559277
rigid instead of collision worked
working okay even though it moves a little while I get a good frame to use as a render
>>
HELP
I joined all the noodles together and now my renders are just alpha / nothing.

Trying to separate but blender might not make it through that, been no responding for 5 minutes.
>>
File: Capture.png (148KB, 1674x972px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
148KB, 1674x972px
Why does Blender do this? Chaning clip distance in the camera does nothing
>>
>>559287
So the "Clip" you're looking at in the N Panel (I forget the proper name for that) only controls the viewport
You need to highlight the Camera object itself and then click on Camera icon that shows up on the right (if it's hidden off screen, either increase the size of the panel, or hover over the row of tabs and middle mouse + move left to see the rest), then change the "Clipping" under 'Lens'
Also if you have Simplify turned on (which you don't by default) you might need to adjust the Camera Cull Dist there as well

By the way, I strongly recommend changing your default Theme to something nicer, and also setting up a proper Startup File (File -> Save Startup File, to save current project as Startup) so that you don't have to delete the default cube, change your render settings every single time, and can have your custom made Materials ready to go
>>
>>559222
For the third time, no, that doesn't work. See >>559198. Vertex or edge, it doesn't make a difference.
>>
>>559286
You need to show us the Compositor window (if you can), you likely made some tiny mistake like only connecting to the Viewer node (you have to connect to the Output for the changes to propagate to the render), or you don't have 'Render Result' selected in the Image Editor (where you view the render)

Also, if you actually pushed Render (or F12) Blender auto-saved right before it rendered, so you can force quit the application safely; if you you just did a live view port render (Shift + Z) and that caused a crash (usually from running out of ram), you *might* have lost some changes but you'll still have a backup
>>
>>559198
You need to be in Vertex mode (helpful anyway so you can SEE what verts it's going to make anyway) and if you misclick on a face instead of an Edge (which, again, you can see clearly in Vertex mode) and then confirm with Space or Enter, it goes nuts trying to guess at what you wanted

The cursor will automatically to to snap to Edges and Verts, so be sure to use that
>>
>>559276
Can you show some sort of doodle of what you want?

What you probably want is called 'Particles' or 'Particle System', that way you can have mesh objects like rocks, or trees, or hair, or Emissive (glowing) objects or whatever to show up on the surface of something (like terrain, or a tree, or a head, or a pony's tail)
>>
>>559295
Again, doesn't work.

>The cursor will automatically to to snap to Edges and Verts
It doesn't, at least not on this mesh. Look at this webm; it's literally snapping to random parts of the face.
>>
File: Star Tail.png (18KB, 384x381px) Image search: [Google]
Star Tail.png
18KB, 384x381px
>>559297
Pic related is what I'm going for, I've been trying to use the particle system for a while now but to no avail. Do you know of any tutorials for the particles that specifically deal with making stars?
>>
Would you mind recording it in Vertex mode and turning off Mirror and Subdiv?

What's really weird is that it appears as if edges on the other side of the model are being targeted (based on them briefly being highlighted) even though you have 'Limit selection to Visible' enabled

After you press K for Knife, are you pressing any other buttons besides M1 and Space (or Enter)?

>>559319
"Stars", based on what you've provided there, is merely an icosphere mesh with an Emission shader of random sizes and distributions across an object

Try this tutorial, he makes stars for the background (you'll need to copy and paste that url for the proper time index)

https://youtu.be/GTq9sLQOiVs?t=757

Just use your tail object as the target, instead of a Cube, and where says to uncheck 'Emitter', skip that (so that your Tail is visible).
>>
>>559291
then smaller cuts, change camera angel. sometimes its bugged.

i rather not use knife at all and just bridge veritcies with "J"
>>
>>559319
fuck off brony scum
>>
File: unfinished tests.jpg (594KB, 1920x2034px) Image search: [Google]
unfinished tests.jpg
594KB, 1920x2034px
>>559319
> particle system
Too complex for this task. Try volume shaders and procedural textures for emission surface stars. Glare streaks in compositor. Or just use hair.
>>
Does anyone know how to make a dbz aura? I want it to be as show accurate as possible but I have no idea how to do it.
>>
>>559489
>accurate as possible
So just make a transparent texture. Done.
>>
>>559489
so, an animated mesh with a fresnel shader
>>
>>559308
I meant to reply to you again at >>559359

It's really weird that you're having those problems, it's definitely one of those very small hard to find "forgot to uncheck a certain checkbox and now I'm getting a weird interaction" type of problem

Does this only happen with this one project? If you have a custom Startup.blend, I would rename it to Startup.blend_bak so that Blender generates a new one, then make a new mesh (don't import your old one, at least not straight away), then see if you get the same problems

I'm not saying Knife isn't finicky, it is, but you're having major problems
>>
>>559290
Thanks dude
>>
File: aura.png (799KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
aura.png
799KB, 960x540px
>>559516
This'll be a last resort if I can't figure out how to do it in 3d.

>>559522
That's what I'm trying to do right now. fresnel didn't look very good for some reason so I'm using layer weight instead. now my problem is figuring out the best way to animate the mesh. I'm using a displacement modifier with a noise texture, but you can't control the speed of the noise and it doesn't look very good anyway
>>
>>559359
>>559561
I turned off Mirror and Subdiv first like you said, and that fixed it. For some reason Mirror Modifer was causing the problem.

I guarantee you I was only pressing K, left click and enter. My Blender startup is as vanilla as it gets.
>>
1st time work in 3d software.
I am trying to make some basic 3d low poly human model.

I've seen in the tutorials how people create them from looking at the reference with side view, sculpt on the plane object and then mirror it. However my reference is only 3/4 view.
What should I do in this case?
Obviously mirroring my image would not work in this case.
>>
>>560618
Then get better reference images you idiot.
>>
>>560618
either import the image as an image plane and try to angle it at a 3/4 view (i don't recommend this), find a side view somewhere, or draw your own based on the 3/4 image you have already
>>
>>559583
>n't control the speed of the noise and it doesn't
you can
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.