[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So what are the chances that 2D animation will get replaced

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

File: 1488318282949.webm (2MB, 360x480px) Image search: [Google]
1488318282949.webm
2MB, 360x480px
So what are the chances that 2D animation will get replaced by 3D?
Pic related.
>>
>>553482
Never. 2D will always been slightly different than 3d, and it's just easier to do 2D than to try to mimick the quirks and mistakes of 2D in 3D. For like TV shows and things where timelines are super short, I can see 3D taking over just for time and money's sake. But for anything that cares more about presentation or the 'art' of animation, 2D will always be an option. Things like Kubo are a good example, much of the stuff from that movie was simply 3d modelled and printed, but the director and the film still sold itself as a stop-motion film because it cared about being a stop-motion film instead of just another 3D animated film.
>>
>>553483
>2D will always been slightly different than 3d

people once said 3d graphics would never replace photos and now the ikea catalogue is entirely renders
3d animation still has a way to go (there's both a lack of tech and skill/technique) but I can certainly see it imitating hand-drawn animation perfectly at some point in the future
>>
>>553482
for simple colors and stuff like in that webm, 3D can easily pass, provided you put the work in and dont go full retard with the camera angles/animation

for hand drawn stuff like from old disney and animu, we're still at least a few years away from it fully breaking the illusion, but we'll probably get there eventually.
My bet would be on pixar doing it first. They already got pretty close with paperman.
>>
>>553483
Jimmy Neutron was 3D
>>
>>553514
But thats fundamentally different from animation. Making a 3d still image is much easier than animating and replicating movement. The principal difference is that while the 3d model is constrained to bones, a 2d character isn't since any motion of deformation can be drawn without the need of having a complex rig attached to it. Even with rigged 2d animation it still doesn't hold that same feeling of a drawn 2d animation or even a 3d animation.

So basically no. It will never replace it per se, but that hasn't stopped Disney, Pixar, and other studios from realizing that money is better made in 3d. It's not that one is inherently better than the other, it's just the economy for it has changed.
>>
When apples get replaced with oranges
>>
I don't think it will, vector graphic type animation in cartoons is used quite a bit. I imagine it's way cheaper then 3D is.
>>
>>553482
impossible, from 3d to render it will be either impossible or it will take more time than viable
rotoscoping, though, works even now, 3d->backgrounds, etc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0taAlZ_MxA
>>
>>553541
Yeah, Toon Boom is used for the new Pokemon anime and Mike Tyson Mysteries, Bob's Burgers, Rick and Morty, The Little Mermaid 2, SpongeBob Squarepants, The Princess Frog, Star and the Forces of Evil, Kim Possible, The Lion King 2, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders, Arthur, Futurama, Archer, etc.

As long as Toon Boom and similar programs keep innovating and making animation easier it'll never be replaced with 3D.
>>
>>553538
This, so much this
>>
>>553482
probably within the next 25-30 years imho
https://vimeo.com/159011768
>>
Pretty sure characters in kemofure are 3D. The motion is a given.
If only it's possible to eliminate such 3D-ness.
>>
>>553482
Honestly, I think it already is able to.

The radio why anime hasn't already turned 100% renders is because Japan is really backwards in a lot of tech.

I think the anime 3d revolution will most likely happen with western anime fans using it to make animes on the cheap.

Then there'll be a short period where Japan gets beaten at it's own game because the cheaper to produce western 3d animes will have better animation and more willing to take risks on the story/plot department.

We have some fun times ahead.
>>
>>553482
It kinda reminds me of Honey the Cat's render.
2D will stay nevertheless... but its art and animation will become lazier, time by time.
>>
Is this possible on 3D?

I'm thinking that you can use PBR, but tone down noise in the normal map. Plus have some special shading tricks for the black outlines.

I've been looking at Adventure Time, Spirited Away and Steven Universe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoUR31QHrsU

In particular, why cannot this be done in 3D.

I'm probably going to try and recreate some of the stuff in 3D. Been learning substance designer and painter. Wish me luck.
>>
>>553735
why the hell wouldn't this be doable in 3D. looks like the easiest shit ever
>>
>>553686
>The radio why anime hasn't already turned 100% renders is because Japan is really backwards in a lot of tech.

They are backward, but the reason was quite well explained by the Guilty Gear devs, the tl;dr is 2D has a ton of flaws that make 3d look "weird" (because 3d is drawn perfectly)

The answer is to hand tweak the 3D results frame by frame, which is perfectly fine for a game where animations are repeated many times over, but not so practical for a TV show or movie
>>
>>553482
Berserk 2016
>>
>>553735
>is a flat shader with an outline possible in 3D
anon pls
>>
File: 028ll.jpg (117KB, 1199x700px) Image search: [Google]
028ll.jpg
117KB, 1199x700px
>>553482
>>>
>Anonymous 03/01/17(Wed)16:29:29 No.553625▶
> >>553538
> This, so much this
>>>
>Anonymous 03/01/17(Wed)20:07:53 No.553657▶
> >>553482 (OP)
> probably within the next 25-30 years imho
> https://vimeo.com/159011768
>>>
>Anonymous 03/02/17(Thu)01:30:06 No.553677▶

So far the closest attempt to 3d mimicking 2d has been confronted by the Guilty Gear video games. In order to do this it's a shit ton of work to both model and rig characters for a non-photo real rendering. Here are some steps autodesk should take in forging a path in the right direction.
1. We need more realtime cgfx, or open gl shaders that support both lighting and bitmap textures.
2. to reinvent novel ways of either generating UV maps easily in a scaleable way (to create "Motomura" lines)
3. overhaul painteffects- be able to draw Adobe illustrator type of pressure sensitive ink geometry that clings onto other geometry (like using the 3d paint tool). Basically it would be awesome to figure out vector based 3d painting somehow.
4. Maybe autodesk could invent a new type of light that automatically simplifies, or smooths out the normals of geometry in a more aesthetically pleasing way. A lot of problems with 2d mimicing 3d run into

1.Unaesthetic core shadow shapes
2. The silouette's geometry is oftentimes too chopppy looking
3. When it comes to the the outer line- its often uniform, the subtle shifts of line weight can depend a lot on the pose.
4. Lack of malleability in certain areas in rigging (especially in the shoulders) that lend itself to generating stiff poses, one wouldn't think of naturally in a 2d sense.
Check this out:

https://www.blendernation.com/2015/07/26/junya-c-motomura-behind-the-scenes-of-guilty-gear-xrd/
>>
Getting 3D-CG to look like hand-drawn 2D is about as difficult as getting 2D to look like 3D. You can do it, but that's not where the medium's strength is.
>>
In short, in the fullness of time, yes. But each will always have their place.

imo before I got in to 3D I was """trained""" in 2D. NOTHING will teach you hardcore skills about animating like getting 60 frames of hand drawn in and realising you fucked up frame seven.
Nothing will teach you to plan ahead and be efficient like pulling two 16 hour days back to back, sleeping in the staff room, and still only just getting it in on the deadline because you didn't plan ahead and tried to """add""" little details that suddenly blow out in to huge continuity errors.
And lastly, that feeling of no quick ctrl+undo when you want to make a change. No chicken scratches allowed, and if you need to "undo" it you're going to have to draw it again OR if your lead wants to make a point, make you erase it and do again (my fucking wrist/arm on my first week on the job. I've got a dominant crab claw animating arm now. Fuck).
>>
>>553482
You can't 3D on paper yet, so likely not any time soon.
>>
>>553529
Do you really think that 2D animation is still done by hand?
Because 99% of it is done in Flash or similar programs which use the exact same techniques as 3D animation.

It's only done in 2D because it's less work at the moment and because most artists aren't trained for 3D.
>>
Maya has a Toon Shading attribute you can use that helps make the work look 2D but like everyone else in this thread is saying, it's pretty difficult to make something in a 3D space look 2D

There's a software that can slice up a 2D image and make it look 3D through layers and projections, but making something in the 3D space look 2D would require extensive knowledge of shaders and an ungodly amount of autism
>>
>>557060
So you're saying when I draw in PS/SAI/etc I'm not drawing it with my pencil (stylist) and paper (tablet/canvas) and it doesn't count because it's not analog?

You're a retard. Tools are tools, it doesn't define the craft. I can 3D without computers, it's called marble/clay/etc.
>>
>>557128
I'm saying that frame-by-frame animation is a thing of the past.
You draw a model and rig it.
Then you put that model into a library and reuse it as often as possible because that reduces production time and costs.
>>
>>557632
this is mostly true, with the only exception being the anime industry in japan, which is essentially the last bastion of 2D frame-by-frame in the world.

And even that's at risk of being replaced by 3D "2.5D" in the future if a cheaper, convincing enough workflow arises to do so.
>>
Checkmate 2Dfags.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xg40RzBIqTY
>>
>>557638
>checkmate 2d
>posts shit-looking animation software which already has existed for a while now and that produces animations obviously done in 3d by their movements
Weeaboo's will forever astound me with their incompetence
>>
File: 1474194268511.gif (2MB, 400x395px) Image search: [Google]
1474194268511.gif
2MB, 400x395px
>>557632
>Then you put that model into a library and reuse it as often as possible because that reduces production time and costs.
And? Guess what, it looks like shit. Only few examples like /mlp/ and Wakfu does it "good". But it will NEVER look as clean as pic related.

And 3D is harder to make LIKE this, good animation. It can look nice, not great thou unless with a higher budget.
>>
>>553482
it's not entirely right, if 3d is not done ar highest level it immediately looks like shi and doing it on a high level costs very much. + stylizing 3d is hard, I mean doing expressive stuff and over the top deformation/transformation etc... 2d is more organic at the end. but mixing the best method Imho, but again it should be done greatly, I hate how animes are using it, berserk for example
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.