[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tor Frick's Techniques

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 12

File: Petrol01.jpg (3MB, 2880x1620px) Image search: [Google]
Petrol01.jpg
3MB, 2880x1620px
"What do you think of our guy's famous "floating geometry everywhere" that you then bake down?

Is it the future of modelling?
>>
>>552865
Whats wrong with floating geometry?
>>
>>552865

I think I haven't watched him model anything so I don't really know what his technique is.

Actually, I watched a couple minutes of him do something in SoftImage but it was like watching someone program in Pascal
>>
>>552874
torrent his tuts from cgp
>>
File: 1484563954023.png (54KB, 507x464px) Image search: [Google]
1484563954023.png
54KB, 507x464px
floating geometry everywhere is very common. Nobody cares how a prop is made besides if it looks amazing in engine.
>>
>>552885
this is news to /3/
>>
>>552865

I think his speed is pretty amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTwxaoykh-E

And he himself says "I don't care about topology [for things that don't deform]" and "what are UVs?"

Not to start a software war but why does he use MODO? Minimal interface, all hotkeys, uses the properties input panel (F6) , he could literally use Blender (or Wings3D, or any software)
>>
>>552896
having used Modo in the past, it truly is years ahead of max for hard surface stuff
>>
>>552896
without modo there is no way to do this fancy bolean shit that he uses to make the cylinder and other parts with.
there are some plugins you can use, but not in the same way you can use them in modo.
and you don't care about topology in the first iteration of your weapon, this is why re-topology exists. for one is to bake detail into a more optimized version of your model. and the second reason is to get high quality UV maps and high resolution texture
>>
>>552902
re-topology is a meme according to our guy
>>
>>552896
Topology really doesn't matter for things that don't deform and if the shading is proper.

>>552903
>>
>>552896
His speed is amazing, but if you watch carefully you realize he often misses. He models like a gamer, full of twitch movements.
If he would use Blender and Hardops he would be 25% faster.
>>
>>552937
Blender can't do a 1/5 of what modo can do lad
>>
>>552903
i watched the stream and he said he was the concept artist.
which means he makes pretty 3d renders, so yeah id imagine its fun to model without caring about retopology
>>
>>552942
He does retopo as well, he might just not do it for all of his personal models since a lot are one-shots and putting them in a game engine doesn't really matter.
>>
Tor proves that you can post on /3/ AND be massively successful at the same time. The future is bright.
>>
>>552865
what do you mean floating geometry everywhere?

You mean disconnected parts? intersecting?
>>
>>552966
all of it in the pure speed that is MODO
>>
>>552896
This makes me want to try Modo.
>>
Booleans seems like the best fucking thing on earth but wont those ngons give shading issues?
>>
>>552993
no
>>
>>552993
modo have procedural bolean system which means it can do quaded boleans.
>>
>>552865
>floating geometry
Welcome to 15 years ago
fucking Christ, i know people here are new, but this technique is as old as normal maps them self, come the fuck on
>>
>>552995
we only care about tris
>>
>>552997
it's not because it's old that it's bad, fucking retard
>>
>>553002
its bad?
>>
>>553004
explain why
>>
>>553008
Im asking bruh
>>
>>553009
Asking for trouble?
>>
>>553010
What the fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>553012
he wants to know why someone would make an ngon and then not run "make triangles" afterwards
>>
>>553014
because it won't dynamically create edges where they're needed and will instead immediately have a bunch of edges added

also it might end up making a less than stellar topology, like the make triangles function for a circle would make a fan of really thin triangles but if you did it yourself later on you could sort it to be a grid with no pinching due to the fan of thin triangles
>>
>>552896
Any good videos where he's not trying to show off his gosu Korean APM? The mouse clicking is nauseating.
>>
>>553017
>also it might end up making a less than stellar topology,
topology is overrated. All that matters is results
~tor
>>
>>552896
I hope he realizes that 50% of the stuff on his gun doesn't make sense and doesn't look good either.
>>
>>553032
The only way his floating mass of intersecting legos is making it into a game is if he puts it on the unity store.
>>
>>552995
quaded bools? holy shit that sounds great.
>>
>>553038

Why? If he makes some uv's you can just paint that shit on substance or ddo.
>>
>>553038
>obv never made a game
>>
>>552902

blender got somerealy nifty tools latelly. in some aspeckts even over the modos edge.

>>552941

bullshit.
>>
>>553058
blender is shit. Pure fucking t-r-a-s-h. If it wasnt free, no1 would use it
>>
>>553052
https://youtu.be/ihrQU4LNtC0

>>
>>553059
>blender is shit.

just go and kill yourself
>>
>>553061
Nice original meme.
>>
This thread is proof that /3/ doesn't understand baking.
>>
>>552902
>without modo there is no way to do this fancy bolean shit

Even Blender can do that with the BoolTool addon.

>>552941
>Blender can't do a 1/5 of what modo can do lad

It can do everything he's doing in that gun video. Considering he's beveling, extruding, and booling, he could be using MilkShape

>>552979
>all of it in the pure speed that is MODO

Any program that lets you use hotkeys is going to match that speed.

>>553059
You're not supposed to actually believe board memes, those are tricks meant to confound newfags.

For example: squats and oats / cardio kills gains, chad took my gf, hitler youth haircut is fashionable, Marvel > DC, these are all memes meant to let experienced users know who the idiot teenage newfags are that need to be ignored.

Literally lurk more before posting.

>>553075
It's proof that OP misused the term.
>>
>>553079
blender being shit is not a meme
>>
>>553086
t. buttmad "artist" who spent hundreds of dollaroos on a yearly subsciption
>>
>>553089
cgp my black friend
>>
File: 1486771071100.gif (436KB, 200x150px) Image search: [Google]
1486771071100.gif
436KB, 200x150px
>>552885
>>552908
>>552993
>>553032
>>553061
this thread is fucking hilarious
>>
>>553079
BoolTool was updated and included in Blender 2.78, just have to enable it.
>>
File: 1487637537599.png (503KB, 2165x2165px) Image search: [Google]
1487637537599.png
503KB, 2165x2165px
>>553092
tor frick is probably laughing at us
>>
Tor Frick inspired me to figure out topology for the sorts of booleans he's using because I tried it and I couldn't add bevels to or subdivide the shitty topology of his concept art.

Thanks Tor Frick.
>>
File: 1485199543721.gif (2MB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
1485199543721.gif
2MB, 320x180px
>>553060
>>
>>553034
A person who doesn't know anything about guns won't see what's so off about it.
And really these people are the target audience in general when it comes to games.
You can obsess with "making sense" with things that people intuitively know have to be in certain ways.
>>
>>553151
That revolver is retarded, it doesn't... uh... yeah, help me out here.
>>
>>553171
the weight of the gun is too far forward relative to the trigger. You would look like a complete retard holding it
>>
>>553176
You have to buy the secondary currency to purchase the rifle stock.

Man's got video games on lock.
>>
>>553177
Buying that stock is my Destiny,
>>
i thought you guys were memeing with the blender bools but that hard ops shit looks amazing.
>>
File: BladeRunner1982Blaster01.jpg (50KB, 450x300px) Image search: [Google]
BladeRunner1982Blaster01.jpg
50KB, 450x300px
>>553171
>that revolver is retarded

It's basically Deckard's gun from Bladerunner, which doesn't fire bullets at all, it's a sci fi laser (I think?) pistol, so there's room for exaggeration when it comes to functional/practical considerations.

>why is the front of the gun so excessively large?
As a made up sci fi example, maybe the cylinder part has to literally be shielded with lead the way an x-ray machine's "x-ray tube" has to be surrounded with lead to protect the person firing it from background radiation.

Here's the prop from the movie, which incidentally was made from parts from two real life guns.
>>
Does blender have a rounded edge shader yet? That is one of the main reason he likes modo.
>>
>>553196
Yeah, HardOps is awesome.

>>553256
Nope, not really. There are some hacks but nothing is comfortable enough to to call it a working edge shader like Modo, Vray and Corona has.
>>
>>553256
>2017
>still using a rounded edge shader instead of subdividing your model
>>
>>553275
>2017
>implying there is only one way to do something
fucking idiot
>>
>>553275
>what is mobile gpus
>>
>>553295
Something that shouldn't be powering your 3D modelling program.

>>553294
Of course there's plenty of ways to do anything, like there's many ways to eat. But you tend to look down on the guy that grips his fork in his fist.
>>
>>553294
honestly using rounded edge/floating geometry is just bad practice and shouldn't be done
>>
>>553297
Mobile GPUs are here. get a Alienware laptop.
>>
>>553151
One of the reasons why I dislike most fantasy and scifi literature and movies, every stupid decision is explained away with "but uh, it's MAGIC/THE FUTURE".
>>
>>553171
grip is too small, trigger guard is too small, trigger doesn't have enough space to be pulled, hammer won't hit anything, most of the screws and bolts are unnecessary. It's shit.
>>
>>553059
>>553294
this
>>
>>552896

A lot of his workflow is clearly optimised for modo.

For example watch any of his videos where he makes pipes.

In blender you would have to select the edge, then go into object mode, alt+c to create a curve from the edge, then go into the curve tab to change the resolution and finaly go back out into object mode and press alt+c again to convert the curve back to a mesh.

While it certainly can be used in blender, it is a big big hassle.

Pretty sure he stated already that he went trough a crapton of tools already and just enjoyed modos workflow best.
>>
>>553339

Okay, here is him making a pipe:

https://youtu.be/ZP71llmerEI?t=1235

You can achieve this with:

- a cylinder (or whatever you want the segments of pipe, spine, conduit, whatever to be),
- a Bezier Curve
- Array Modifier (Fit to Curve -> BezierCurve01)
- Curve Modifier

I will admit that the modo method looks a lot nicer than fiddling with Bezier Curves assuming you want something more complex like a shoelace or braided rope or metal conduit, otherwise if you just want a pipe you can just turn on Extrude in the Curve's settings

What you described I've seen done for shoelaces where you already have the shoe done, you have an area you want to sort of inset a lace into, so you add an edge loop and then turn that into a curve (and then either do what I described above, or use the Extrude setting).
>>
>>553363
>>553339
Pipes aren't exactly that difficult to do in Blender with the right addons... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBNbwyOwesE
>>
>>553303
>get a Alienware laptop
I'd rather shove a glowing hot steel rod in my dickhole.
>>
File: VuVb0cW.png (1MB, 1277x888px) Image search: [Google]
VuVb0cW.png
1MB, 1277x888px
>>553304
Well you only really care where you realize it's strange. And you don't catch all of it.
Anyone who wishes to be productive with any creative work which isn't straight up engineering will have to make some unrealistic stuff.
>>553176
>>553306
True. Someone commented exactly this and you can read his response.
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/qPe9z
And I agree it looks better with a bigger grip.

But we're complaining about an hour of work here.
>>
>>553673
>But we're complaining about an hour of work here.

5 minutes out of an hour, to fix a massive design flaw.
>>
File: Render2_Crop.jpg (3MB, 3093x2048px) Image search: [Google]
Render2_Crop.jpg
3MB, 3093x2048px
>>552865

Hello, fellow Modo user here (and yes pic related is my own work inspired by Tor).

The thing you need to get over is there is no "technique". Floating geometry, procedural textures, booleans, etc. It's all been around for years.

Literally the only thing that has changed in regards to this particular workflow of high-poly modeling is the industry's perspective on ngons. They've been taboo for years, but people have now realized that as long as it doesn't cause any errors or doesn't deform it doesn't matter how the high poly is built, what matters are the results.

I remember some kid made some futile thread on polycount claiming that if the wireframe was ugly (ie bad topology) than the model as a whole sucked.
>>
File: 1362798750500.jpg (146KB, 671x765px) Image search: [Google]
1362798750500.jpg
146KB, 671x765px
>>552896
Is there a way to configure max to always zoom in with the scroll wheel like when you hold down alt+ctrl and MMB?

I perfer that to zoom stepping
>>
>>552896

Clean interface, reliable tools, customization is quick, robust and easy to do.

He also uses modo's rounded edge shader a ton which i believe exclusive to modo?
>>
File: Clipboard.jpg (156KB, 700x1099px) Image search: [Google]
Clipboard.jpg
156KB, 700x1099px
>>554068
3DS Max has it and there's a script for Blender but it only works in Cycles with OSL so it's CPU only for now.

https://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?329295-Bevel-shader&p=2595365&viewfull=1#post2595365

And an update that's 25% faster but the edges don't show up in reflections https://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?329295-Bevel-shader&p=2653949&viewfull=1#post2653949
>>
>>554051
You're not using the rounded edge shader? I see some pixel-perfect edges in there.
>>
>>554102

I am, it's too small to notice. This is before I figured out how to set up different rounded edge settings for different selections of polygons. I now have it setup in a pie-menu just like Tor Frick so I can easily determine what parts get what size of rounded edge shader.

I'm just too lazy to go back and render. :p
>>
LUL
>>
>>553395

The guy talking about pipes here ..

Thanks for the link, this is exactly what i needed.
>>
Redpill me on the rounded edge shader
>>
>>553363

Thanks for the sum up of alternatives but i have used them all and for the most part it works.

It's not even the intrigate detailed stuff where brezier curves fall apart for me ... it's the quick and dirty stuff

Brezier curves simply don't behave like edges (and rightfully so) but that makes quickly adding a pipe somewhere to see how it looks or how the rest of your work holds up a pain in the ass.

And the other problem are interconnected pipes/cables ... having a curve that either merges or splices off into multiple directions sadly ends with downright broken geometry.

The quickpipe script looks at least at first glance like it fixes both of those issues ... so i am a happy camper.
>>
>>555430
What it does well
>Give you bevels without having to use subdivision-modeling
>Let you model faster by not having to worry about high-poly topo (control loops, edge flow, n-gons)
>Let you use a ton of booleans in your workflow, to create geometry less commonly seen (because it's a pain to make with sub-d)

The cons:
>You have to plan your mid-polys in advance since they won't be subdivided (give cylinders enough edges, etc)
>You can't do sub-d shapes on pieces using rounded edge (but can easily mix pieces using both techniques)
>Some industry pipelines might reject it (if they require everything to be done in sub-d with control loops)

It's honestly a very nice tool, and basically a different method of modeling from sub-d with different strengths/results.
I would say speed is the greatest advantage, not having to worry about topo is great for a game pipeline.
>>
>>555434
the pics i saw of it on the blender forum seemed kind of meh
>>
>>555437
but the modo videos on jewtube are cash. strange, innit?
>>
>>555437
please link them, I need to laugh
>>
>>553079
Blender is good is the meme though, you got memed hard kid.
Thread posts: 93
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.