[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey everyone! How do you guys generate normal maps(and other

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: mapping.png (2MB, 1844x728px) Image search: [Google]
mapping.png
2MB, 1844x728px
Hey everyone!
How do you guys generate normal maps(and other maps) from an image texture?
I've been trying to work with different softwares on this, but he result always looks kind of bad. In the software everything seems beautiful but when I take it to Marmoset/Unity/Any other 3D package the result is horrible. I'm not exactly sure what I'm doing wrong. If you guys have any tutorial/tips, I would be really grateful.
>>
>>551574
PS has a built in tool to make normal maps or you could use crazybump.
>>
>>551574
that honestly seems to be more of a lighting fault than anything, have you tried playing with lighting in your scene? Notice how the MindTex preview has a few strong light sources (with varied colors and positions), while your marmoset scene has some really uniform diffuse lighting and nothing else.
>>
>>551574

I know crazybump adds a displacement map in the viewer, dont know about the other program. Try importing the displacement map as well to see if it's the same as the other viewers.
>>
>>551574

Awesome Bump is a pretty easy to use program for doing that.
>>
http://cpetry.github.io/NormalMap-Online/ this has been my go-to when I make normal maps. Good for other similar maps too.
>>
https://www.katsbits.com/tutorials/textures/how-not-to-make-normal-maps-from-photos-or-images.php

read this article if you want to have a basic understanding of how to make normal maps using handpainted bumpmaps.
>>
>>551574
Generating Normal maps from photos is not the correct way. It might work with some under certain circumstances, but overall its better to use the photo as base and create a heightmap yourself and create the Normal from that.
>>
>>552659
as mentioned on >>552657
>>
>>551574
Bro, do you even bake? Oh I forgot, you probably don't use blender. We Jedi duplicate our low polys, multires, then sculpt said duplicate, Then it's just a matter of selecting both objects and clicking the bake button. You'll learn, one day padawan. You'l learn.
>>
>>552657
>when your article is so old it refers to Doom 3 as a "next-gen" game
>>
>>551574
Making good normalmaps from texture images is near impossible. It always looks like a disgusting blob. I've tried this shit for years.
Even with neutral lighting and editing the heightmap from which you generate the normals it won't capture it correctly.
Either get yourself a program like substance designer or quixel or whatever and make textures yourself, or get photographs from different angles to create a 3d mesh from it, or look for textures that already come with a heightmap/mesh laserscan.
>>
>>551576
this.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.