[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Make low poly look HD as fuck

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

File: 1484718018579 - Copy.jpg (111KB, 1014x774px) Image search: [Google]
1484718018579 - Copy.jpg
111KB, 1014x774px
Hi /3

I know the general process is making a high poly mesh/sculpt then making a low poly/retopo but can you share some of the process you use?

Any tips?

Pic related: Is this really the final model with that low count of polys when you run TF2 on max settings? How do they manage to get so much "detail" and the animations with only ~50 tris?
>>
Additionally: How do I go about finding the balance or knowing the lowest of polys I can have? Is this purely based on intuition?
>>
Op, that's fan art, it's not from the actual game.
>>
>>548753
What fucking universe do you exist in where that pic looks like anything remotely close to TF2 on low at 800X600 much less high settings?
>>
that topology isnt very good at all, mixes triangles and quads, plus pentagons
>>
is troll?
>>
Textures textures textures

You can make the shittiest of low poly models look incredible if you draw a good texture for it.
>>
>>548917
>Hurrr durrrrr

you cuck
>>
OP HERE: So how do I go about seeing assets of TF2?

Also, question still stands..

> can you share some of the process you use?
>>
>>549586
http://www.moddb.com/games/team-fortress-2/tutorials/how-to-import-source-models-in-blender

Basically you just get the SMD plugin for Blender and also a program to decompile the TF2 models and that's it. Bit of a hassle but it's not the most atrocious process, some games you may want to mod won't even use armatures and will instead have their animations baked into different models for each frame.
>>
File: Smoother.png (109KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
Smoother.png
109KB, 512x512px
>>548753
>How do they manage to get so much "detail" and the animations with only ~50 tris?
It's subdivided (polygons are multiplied and smoothed) when you get close.
>>
>>549609
Bullshit.
OP's image is Lowpoly-fanart.
The actual TF2 models have way more polygons.
>>
>>548753
>>549586

Not sure if troll or just little kid / absolute ultra mega beginner to the point of not even knowing enough to even begin to ask questions, but....

You can view the TF2 models in Source Filmmaker and then extract them to Blender via the SFM tools (Crowbar, the Blender add-on, and something or other for the textures), and then export that from Blender as .obj (or I guess Alambic now? haven't kept up with that) and then import it into whatever 3d package you like

An no, that's not the final model, it's clearly just a fan made low poly that even includes the artist's website at the bottom
>>
>>549609
the word you're looking for is tessellation. Distance based tessellation.
and no, tf2 doesn't have that because it doesn't support dx11 you dumb cunt.

i swear we're being raided by /v/. Too many of you fucks posting your stupid uninformed "facts".
>>
>>549635
its actually called distance based LOD you cunt
>>
>>549638
call it whatever you want. TF2 doesn't fucking do it.
>>
>>549639
All games do LOD - thats what the programmers work on
>>
>>549609
Even though you've smoothed it wrong and now he looks like a balloon, regardless unless you use flat lighting anything hand painted will look terrible.

The light information is painted into the textures so if you're actually lighting it it'll look like garbo
>>
>>549640
But TF2 doesn't. Not with models.
>>
>>549648
op just handpaint the lighting data in with the eyedropper in photoshop
>>
>>549640
Not CSGO
>>
>>549725
>>550084
does any source game?
>>
File: XUMRVMQ.png (305KB, 1920x1006px) Image search: [Google]
XUMRVMQ.png
305KB, 1920x1006px
>>549725
>TF2 doesn't do LOD
m8
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.