[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Selling commissioned work

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: 7cZix15.jpg (86KB, 960x639px) Image search: [Google]
7cZix15.jpg
86KB, 960x639px
/3/ would you be pissed if i commissioned you to build a character model for me and sold it on TurboSquid?
>>
When I do commissions I'll usually attach a license to it. Generally that means they can use the artwork in commercial works, but that's not the same as selling intellectual property. Selling the model directly would be illegal in this case.
>>
>>545184
Is your reasoning personal or business related knowing they could make back their money from selling the asset?
>>
>>545187
It's pretty uncommon to outright sell IPs.

If you commission an artist to create a soundtrack for your game, they'll also retain rights to the music they made. If they want to sell the soundtrack separately they have to pay royalties to the artists.

You'll have exceptions where the artists are employed directly by the company but that's pretty rare. If you want to be a content mill to sell assets on Turbosquid you need to create your own company and actually hire the people rather than contract/commission them, but at that point you might as well sell assets directly rather than through Turbosquid.
>>
>>545190
IP freely
>>
>>545190
How is IP established for some artist taking commissions?
How would he argue the point, "Hey i made that!", That's it? I paid him to make that for me, No reason regarding the use was ever established.
>>
>>545223
No you fucking retard, you write a contract and have the other party sign it before you sell them your work.
>>
>>545224
You've never done commission work have you?
You've never commissioned anything from anyone have you?
>>
>>545225
Of course I have. And i always make sure the paperwork is in order to prevent any rubbish like this.
The answer is never going to be "Hey i made that!"
it's going to be, "here's the documentation and the files that prove i made that. And here's the contract signed by both parties explicitly stating that i own the rights to the IP."
This is basic shit. You're an amateur or a retard.
>>
>>545226
>You're an amateur

Prove you're a pro, Post your work.

Contracts are done by artists who already have llc' etc already set up, Everyone else just takes the money and does what they're asked to do.
That gap goes closer to the top of available artists than you might think to say what you've said.
>>
>>545183

Couldn't I just cut out the middle man.
>>
>>545227
>Everyone else just takes the money and does what they're asked to do.

Well I sure as hell don't and I don't have an LLC.

You're an idiot if you're not selling your work under a license, end of story. All it takes is giving the receiving party exclusive, NON-TRANSFERABLE rights to use your content. No company out there is going to complain about that.

The only people who complain about how IPs are handled are people with zero experience in the industry.
>>
>>545183
Thats why when i make models, i count work-hours * my usual rate, and i do not give a fuck what you do with that model. Thats why makind an AAA weapon takes 40-50hours * 45usd, and if you want to sell it on asset store for 15 bucks, its your choice.
I value my time, not the ideas behing the work i do.
>>
>>545183
Post some work to make replying worth our time.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.