[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

31 years old, want to be an artist in the game industry.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 6

File: 2016-12-08 (1).png (525KB, 693x616px) Image search: [Google]
2016-12-08 (1).png
525KB, 693x616px
I have a degree in Computer Animation back in 2008 but the past years have been rough, so it put me on hold for a long time. I'm getting back into creating again, and adding into the portfolio. Will try to get into the industry through indie projects, and concentrating on modeling and sculpting portfolio.

Problem is, I'm worried about my age and where I'm at in life right now, I believe I can get to the point I want to in this career. But, right now it's scary and exciting, unsure of my talent. Feel like I'm starting over.

Just writing this to see what others might think...

Bachelors FA. Anxiety problems, sort of sheltered, worried about my Social Anxiety and lack of experience getting in the way. Quiet and nervous guy that wants to open up, and express myself.
>>
>>543431
>Just writing this to see what others might think...

You're an artist, artists are weirdos, the only thing anyone cares about is:

1) does your art look good
2) can you work with other people
3) can you show up on time to work
4) is your substance abuse problem manageable or is it going to significantly get in the way of work
>>
>>543437
> 4) is your substance abuse problem manageable or is it going to significantly get in the way of work

Assumption of a substance abuse problem. LOL
>>
>>543431
you can just freelance safely
>>
>>543431

Your age shouldn't be an issue at all.

As long as you speak English ok'ish, are enthuastic and are competent, you'll go far these days.

The only real competition you have is among third-worlders and automation.

So, relax.. for now.
>>
>>543431
doesn't matter if you're awkward as long as you can produce work on time that's good enough, and that you can communicate well enough. you dont need to be a social butterfly or anything, you just have to be presentable, accept feedback, ask questions when needed.

lack of experience doesn't matter, all juniors who just start have no experience.
>>
>>543486
Every artist should abuse Substance.
>>
>>543499
How about no
>>
>>543431

Your problems can be solved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q06YIWCR2Js

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_fFattg8N0
>>
>>543585
>people actually watching this shit

people should learn how to make connections instead of positive thinking and related bullshit.
connections is the only thing that matters in this industry
>>
>>543586
wut mate?

How to network with severe anxiety?
You fix the roof first if you want a good home.

Video related teaches you how you can overcome anxiety with breath.
>>
>>543588
breathing don't help you overcome anxeity. it just helps you suppress it
>>
>>543589

Suppressing never works. Watch the videos.
>>
>>543590
not gonna watch that video and ill tell you why.
i watched numerous videos and subscribed to self help channels.
none of it works longterm because anxiety's core problem is biological. your brain over-process information when anxious and you get sick/tired quickly.
the problem with anxiety is not the fear itself or the avoidance, its the effects that completely drains you out and kills your productivity
>>
>>543581
>>543486
>Being this serious
You're already the kind of cunt i wouldn't want to work with
>>
File: Oh hello.gif (890KB, 245x150px) Image search: [Google]
Oh hello.gif
890KB, 245x150px
>>543499
This guys knows.
>>
OP here. Wow, didnt expect such a conversation on here. Sorry for my low expectations of 4chan but you guys have helped a lot. Thank you.
>>
Btw, I agree with both the Biological and Mental effects of therapy. In my opinion they should both be mixed. Meds help change perception and give you an experience, where therapy helps register that experience and adopt it. It's not mathematics, no right or wrong except contextually based on the makeup of the genetics.
>>
>>543431
I'm only three years younger than you, and in a similar place. I've just started getting into 3D, around six months ago. I still have a lot to learn, so time's definitely a factor I worry a lot about.

But what really concerns me is the networking part. Fuck networking. I'm not even socially anxious, or very much so. I just strongly dislike having to advertise myself/having to make connections/industry talk/etc. It just seems like everyone's bullshitting.

I'm definitely not made for the job I want, but I'll still try.

>>543499
Can't wait to get addicted to Substance. It's sitting there, tempting me.
>>
>>543854
i agree, but the problem is that modern western medicine is shit, does not work always and has lots of ugly side effects.

I know because i am 35 and i suffer from depression and anxiety since i've been 16.
I have tried therapy and "medicine", all kinds of stuff, but this shit didn't work.
The only medicine that worked for me is the stuff south-american shamans use: Ayahuasca, Peyote, psychedelic mushrooms, Yopo and Kambo.

I rather take one of these substances 6-10 times per year, than being depend on pharmaceutical medicine every fucking day.
>>
>>543909
you're a brainded hippie
>>
>>543912
not looking to launch a pharmaceuticals debate on /3/, but it has been long known that certain illicit substances have beneficial (and worthwhile) psychological and physiological effects, and research on those in the west has been held back tremendously because of the "drugs are bad, mmkay?" attitude our society has
>>
>>543431
>31 years old, want to be an artist in the game industry
>I have a degree in Computer Animation back in 2008

ARE YOU ME!?!?

...Art institute graduate?
>>
>>545526
...Whoops, fuck me. I forgot I made this thread.
>>
>>545530
Art institute student, yes or no?
>>
>>545530
pure autism
>>
>>545530
Do you have alzheimers? Maybe you have been learning new things about 3D since 2008 but just forgot them as soon as you learned them.
>>
File: Gabu78.png (608KB, 615x688px) Image search: [Google]
Gabu78.png
608KB, 615x688px
Guys? Can a furry artist get a job in the game industry?
>>
>>545553
Yeah, why not? You would have a good knowledge on animal anatomy.
Just don't use your penis anatomy knowledge for modeling unless they're asking for it. :^)
>>
>>545553
yeah just don't bring the piss bottles with you
>>
>>545553
Making furry art?
Why do furries want to make everything furry? Can a gay artist get a job in the game industry? Yeah, but they probably won't have you model penises and shit.
>>
>>543882
I know how you feel about networking, I would prefer to be modest, and quite a few employers out there think they are more hot shit then they are, especially on the hr front.

But there is thing that I have found helps in specific situations. If you are at a networking event, the sort where a uni or professional organization rounds up a bunch of employers and then you go around talking to people in the industry you are interested in. What I have found helps is hanging back at a job you are interested in and watch several people do their speal, in my experience most of what you will see is people trying to justify and fluf up lack luster portfolios. After enough of that I am able find some of that confidentes to feel better about my art and go in and talk to the rep knowing that I offer what the employer needs.
>>
>>543581
>>543586
>>543588
>>543592

what a shit attitude
>>
>>545526
No he is not the original poster. I am. And, no I went to International Academy of Design and Tech. Same BS though.
>>
>>545562
>Yeah, but they probably won't have you model penises and shit.

I bet the character artist for Dante's Inferno was gay. This doesn't look like the concept art at all.
>>
File: that robe looks neato.jpg (612KB, 1250x809px) Image search: [Google]
that robe looks neato.jpg
612KB, 1250x809px
>>546148
concept
>>
>>543499
I'm addicted to substance painter and designer.

but for real the hardest drug i do is fucking diet coke, kek. I've done the weeds, the smokes, the hard parties, black out drunk mostly in 2015 to mid 2016. It's worth it for a little while.
>>
>>543585
>That fucking video
>An extreme example in how to talk for 26 minutes and say absolutely fucking nothing.
>>
>>546148
I dont know if I like the direction theyre taking Dragon Age 4 Qunaris towards to
>>
>>546179
You are a bad person for putting that shit into your body.
I am talking about diet coke.
Artificial sweetener...WTF man?
Stop doing that and drink Mate-tea or Coffee like normal people do, not this toxic chemical acid.
Also if you feel an affinity for altered states of consciousness, research and take the hippy drugs (shrooms, mescaline, lsd) .
They are actually very helpful, healthy, life affirming, stress-relieving and creativity-inducing.
>>
>>547594

aspartame is actually good for you. it's a direct precurser to phenylalanine, which some people take as a supplement to help regulate norepinephrine levels, which provides greater attention and energy.
>>
>>547610
No its not you fucking retard.
It tricks the body into releasing huge amounts of insulin because the body expects to absorb sugar, but there is none.
Aspartam alone in a small dose might be harmless, but the whole package fucks you up especially your adrenal gland.
>>
File: 1484289633095.jpg (142KB, 850x680px) Image search: [Google]
1484289633095.jpg
142KB, 850x680px
OP you are beyond fucked if you follow any of the advice in this thread.
>>
>>543912
I've been on meds, they're terrible. The equivalent of painkillers for psychological problems, long term use will wreck you.

I would rather suggest substances, but proper use is heavily dependent on knowledge that our society has banned for some idiotic reason or another. Using them improperly is downright dangerous. Mind you, not the trips themselves (most of the time), but its integration in day to day life.
>>
>>547878
>https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1946186

nice meme buddy boi
>>
>>543431
HOLY fuck. Is age really a problem? Are you afraid of getting rekt by people who are younger than you?

JUST DO IT!
MAKE YOU DREAM COME TRUE!
JUST ...........DO IT!
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.