[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What makes this animation look so bad?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 9

File: 1480453577034.webm (980KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1480453577034.webm
980KB, 1280x720px
What makes this animation look so bad?
>>
>>542291
Because it looks like a fucking broadway dance move.

That being said, it's only like 1 second out of however much of animation, nothing to really get yer panties in a bunch for.
>>
File: ep6052.jpg (121KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
ep6052.jpg
121KB, 1920x1080px
I part where she fumbles on one foot looks fake/ not a natural way to fumble.

If it's motion capture then the actor is just shit or shitty director.

but there is much worse out there that normies eat up
>>
>>542295
I think it's the fumbling and how fast she regains her balance, it looks unnatural.
>>
>>542291
Besides the way she regained her balance which looked completely scripted and in the meta was probably directed to do that exact motion in the set, the colors look like absolute horseshit and make me try to nitpick as it isn't very smooth or "cool" to look at (imo).

Could probably find it in a San Fran interpretive dance show.
>>
>>542291

Too floaty. She probably wouldn't have stayed that long in mid air.
>>
>>542291
(Ignoring the Vaudeville stumble)
Even running, the character appears to be taking tiny little baby steps.
You can tell the mocap actor was being filmed in a small capture volume without much space to really run.
>>
>>542291
It looks like the animator only learned he needed to continue the scene after finishing the skipping. Her elbows are down instead of up, like she's just trying to stop, but then she just picks up running again. The way her foot comes back is unrealistic too, she slides it in inside-first instead of toes-first then runs straight off of it.

>>542314
That makes sense if it's mocap, it looks like they aren't able to go too far so they just came to an unnatural hault
>>
File: BRS05_143_CGW 4.webm (471KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
BRS05_143_CGW 4.webm
471KB, 1280x720px
>>542291
Mass Effect animations have always been stiff as fuck.
It may be an engine limitation, but the motion itself does not flow correctly.
It's either the engine, or it's just lazy barely touched-up mocap trash, since paying actual animators to make convincing animations is expensive and time-consuming.

Unfortunately, people that buy AAA games have been conditioned to think it's acceptable, because "muh realism", so a lot of studios don't give a shit about animations.
The only recent game that stuck in my head which had decent animation was Shadow of Mordor, and even then, it wasn't fantastic. It just wasn't shit.

>>542295
God, RWBY pisses me off.
It's a shame too, because there are plenty of ways to make 3DCG not look like such hot garbage if the roosterteeth team decided to do some research.
>>
>>542404
It can't be an engine limitation because the first three games were on UE3 and this one is on Frostbite. Bioware just has really shitty animators, which has lead to them having really shitty mocap.
>>
>>542295
>>542404
Weren't the first 3 volumes of RWBY mainly mocap? I do know that the newest one (4th volume) is all made in Maya
>>
>>542291
I see few obvious problems.
1, it was done in house not by an actor but by a Bioware employee
While i expect all talking heads in big set pieces are mo capped actors, the recording time would be few weeks, while game development its years, that means 90% actors are not there

2 Lack of speed and urgency
For someone running for their life this leisure stroll sure seems a bit out of place,
The animator who stumbled into the mocap set cant seem to put his all into it

3 Wide spread legs and arms, far away form body
Fuck knows why this happened, badly calibrated suits is my bet

Add all 3, and it just looks weird
>>
File: roosterteeth.jpg (94KB, 640x744px) Image search: [Google]
roosterteeth.jpg
94KB, 640x744px
>>542409
Looks like it, yeah. They used Poser, and "OptiTrack’s Arena software" for the first 3, according to an interview I found floating around the web.
I glanced at some of the volume 4 animation, and still wasn't too particularly impressed.
It's definitely an improvement over the previous 3, but it's still kinda looks like shoddy amateur work, which is surprising, because I thought they had a pretty decent sized team working on this stuff.

I just fail to understand why they spent so much time time trying to achieve the 3D Anime look, but shit the bed when it comes to the animation, opting for a more "western" style instead.
>>
>>542412
Anime design, Disney technique? Trying to bring the best of both worlds? Idfk
>>
>>542305
her toes are too spread out, even when she's slide-stopping her toe is pointing in a wrong direction and this factor makes the most mess IMHO

SRY my English sucks I hope you understood what I've said.
>>
Can fix that with foot locking. Not being lazy and clean up the mo cap data a smidge more.
>>
File: jesus why.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
jesus why.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
This is from the gameplay trailer revealed today.
>>
>>542612
Is this still an alpha build?
looks like Bioware have the interns on animation.
>>
>>542618
That's their gameplay premier trailer for something that has been in development since at least 2012 and comes out next spring.
>>
>>542612

perfection
>>
>>542612
i did the disarm animation
>>
>>542619
That's hilariously bad. It looks like a comedy sketch. She just casually takes the gun and slowly turns it around. The eyebrows barely/rarely move. She blinks like 3 times in half a second. The left hand just blatantly clips right through the middle of the arm. That goofy ass grin is really punchable.
Shit shaders that look like their straight out of 2006. Low res textures everywhere.
What the fuck Bioware?
>>
File: 1463182846178.gif (2MB, 279x350px) Image search: [Google]
1463182846178.gif
2MB, 279x350px
>>542612
That facial animation
>>
>>542612
this animation is terrible

why movie animations look so much better than game ones?
>>
>>542645
2 words: technical limitations.
You know like rendertimes of 1 hour per frame vs 60 frames per second.

BUT this shit gives Videogame animation a bad rep. I've seen better animations 10 years ago.
Bioware has really gone to shit. WHY IS IT SO BAD?
>>
>>542647
>technical limitation

im talking about the animation quality, not the animation rendering
>>
>>542622

Just how? Isn't the hand always independent of anything else in a rig? It makes no sense that a hand would wobble around like that.
>>
>>542644
They somehow managed to make it worse than Mass Effect 3. I'm not sure how that was even possible.

>>542666
It's jittery mocap data that they didn't bother cleaning up.
>>
>>542645
pretty sure they spend a shitload more time per second of animation in movies. think how long the average movie is vs. the average game. and a game isn't just cutscenes (ideally) so resources are going to be directed toward other stuff that movies don't have to worry about
>>
>>542648
>Implying /3/ can tell the difference.
>>
>>542291
looks like mo-cap and not finished so cant judge. the only thing that i could say is that the overall action of deceleration is awkward as fuck
>>
>>542291
>>542612

It looks like mocap performances that they've barely touched.
It's not really fair to blame the animators though, they're on a timeline, a fixed budget, and likely under the direction of someone who is saying "looks good enough, faster faster faster!"
>>
>>542685
>Thinking only modelers hang around on /3/
>>
No feel of real world weight... Looks like shes a hollow cardboard box. Momentum is not shown wright and the fumbling is not natural, it looks rehersed which is illogical to the human mind.
>>
>>542291
Now that i have seen more clips from ME.A, i would say THIS animation is rather good (but only in comparison to some of the other animation gems in this game.)
Brace yourself, if this game drops, the internet will be swamped with a huge library of "how not to animate- Mass Effect: Andromeda Edition".

And it will be glorious/ truly terrifying.
>>
>>542291
Watch the top and bottom half of an animation separately if you can't figure out what's wrong with your animation.

Top half
>Momentum is completely smooth. There's no jerking to indicate a recovery from her tripping.
>The wrong hand is being raised. If you walk on a tightrope and start to lean to your right, your left hand will come up. She is tripping to her right and raising her right hand.

Bottom half
>Her feet literally teleport onto the ground after she runs off the ledge. This was probably mocapped on a flat surface. There's nothing salvageable here because you have the wrong animation.
>>
>>542612
>I'm the cook
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.