[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Did it feel overwhelmed at first?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

Seeing all these techniques and terminologies like UV maps, mesh, bone rigg, ect. Did you feel overwhelmed going into 3D modeling?
>>
>>537604
I did. But whatcha gonna do. I like the feeling of looking at the final product and that keeps me motivated to do more of them.
>>
yes.

i thought only 10% of the population are even capable of modeling because movies looked so good
>>
Sculpting still overwhelms me. I can't wrap my head around the tools and the interface.

Traditional modeling seems simple in comparison.
>>
yeah it did

now it's all very apparent
>>
>>537604
not really since i've been studying other stuff like computer science and networking (tons of acronyms)
try reading one of those terminology glossaries (i have a few of those in a software called cintanotes and i speed read it often)
>timaxmedia.com/html/help/Glossary_of_3D_Terms_.htm
>>
>>537604
when I went into 3d modeling 3d studio didn't even support bones (though games-wise Alone in the Dark had them, they used a custom made editor)
>>
>>537604

Didn't think I'd ever get the hang of it at first. I couldn't even make a simple morph for like a month. But stuck with it and now there's some things that a tedious but not a lot that I don't actually understand.
>>
No. You just care about one thing at a time until it's understood.
>>
>>537604
No, I pretty much just jumped in and didn't sweat the parts I didn't know.
>>
>>537619
Remember anon zbrush is abit more comparable to photoshop then something like maya or max, traditional drawing skills will help with sculpting skills.
>>
Mesh modeling and vertex control will always be infinitely more overwhelming to me than the actual mechanics behind engineering something in 3D for me. The UV mapping, the bones and influences and different maps all make perfect sense to me but the actual methods of making the blank model make me want to open a vein. Was never a great pencil artist either which probably has a lot to do with it.

Still trying to wrap my head around physics based material creation as well. I know there's some pattern or path to figuring it all out but it's still beyond me.
>>
>>537604
As someone who's trying to get into it right now, yeah, it seems absolutely ludicrous.
>>
I only market my modelling/texturing abilities. I hate animating, and even after 4 years get a headache thinking about rigging and keyframing.

I should learn it of course, and so should you, but its cool to take your time.
>>
it did not feel overwhelming because i did not even know it existed when i started following guides
>>
I still am. I've been doing 3d for a living for almost 5 years now but of course I specialized in something so I'm not good at everything. I still regularly get baffled at how fucking good some people are and how there's SO many things I don't know shit about. When I look at the CG in hollywood movies I can't even fathom how they do it especially because I know just how much work and manhours and knowledge is involved in projects of that scale. Sometimes I think it's ridiculous that I get to make a living off of this stuff when I see how much better others are at it.

Of course mostly they just have a bunch of specalists with each one being very good in their field, producing amazing results together. But that's what overwhelms me about 3D -there's so much to know, it's impossible for a single person to be an expert at even a handful of things, there's just too much to learn and an top of that the knowledge constantly changes and becomes obsolete quickly. It's not like mathematics or something where you learn stuff once and it's stays relevant forever. It's daunting.
>>
the terms and book knowledge come very quickly, it's the artistry and sculpting - the actual tactile skill that is hard to learn
>>
>>538604

Man, I migrated from 2D art to Zbrush and I was still terrified. Its such a messy ui, but its so capable. In the end, I still had to take my model into maya and re-topo it before I dove into the UVs.
>>
>>537604
No
It's all pretty straight-forward and logical
>>
It feels shitty and drove me into a hole of depression because of course I chose the career that has a shit learning curve and I'm such a fucking autist that needed to learn each and every step of the pipeline.

It's not even necessary man I can just stick to lighting or surfacing and get a job just fine in any studio, but now I'm knee deep in VFX as well.

Jesus.
>>
Doesn't matter what it is when you learning anything you will always have that feeling. Focus on one topic and take your time .
>>
No, the bulk of the material that you need to model is incredibly simple.
You don't need to even understand any of the math.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.