[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

WIP out your WIPs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 312
Thread images: 107

File: wip.jpg (1MB, 1500x882px) Image search: [Google]
wip.jpg
1MB, 1500x882px
New WIP thread.

Old one >>534790
>>
File: Lolo Shy 3.jpg (72KB, 1000x1250px) Image search: [Google]
Lolo Shy 3.jpg
72KB, 1000x1250px
Working on a new outfit.
>>
work in progress: these dubs
>>
>>537058
Nice clothwork!

>>537066
Satan is among us.
>>
File: Sharp Shader Faces.jpg (1018KB, 4230x2658px) Image search: [Google]
Sharp Shader Faces.jpg
1018KB, 4230x2658px
Working on the faces.
>>
>>537071
That shading is really bad. I don't know what exactly is bad about it, maybe the high saturation or the strength of the red tone... If you are trying to replicate a 2D art style, know that no good 2D artist would pick the look you have chosen, of that I am certain.
>>
>>537116
the front of the face would appear to be a flat surface if drawn like normal anime but here it's shaded like the center is moved forward. would either need to be actually flat in the front or have custom normals.

you ever see the movie Dread? it has a woman with a huge birthmark and that's all i can think of with this shading, or the firebender from Avatar
>>
File: gun.png (229KB, 1527x767px) Image search: [Google]
gun.png
229KB, 1527x767px
made this this morning
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (79KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
79KB, 1920x1080px
>>537133
Looking good, I like the hex barrel. Any chance of posting some wireframes / non-orthographic shots?

Some critiques;

The revolver you're modeling uses an older method of round / casing extraction by means of a little loading gate, generally on the right side of the gun. The lower "barrel" holds a lever you can depress backwards to knock out shells, and it usually sits just off to the lower right side of the barrel at roughly 45 degrees.

Should be an easy fix since your barrel is hex. If you snap rotation to 45 degrees, you could just detach the barrel, rotate it and put it in place.

Also you might want to invest some time in further smoothing out / rounding out the grip. It's looking pretty good otherwise.
>>
File: sniper.png (208KB, 1060x706px) Image search: [Google]
sniper.png
208KB, 1060x706px
Doing yet another gun, working on a model of an unused/cut rifle from Half-Life 2. Looks to be based on the .50 LAR Grizzly Big Boar.

I'm having a bit of trouble punching the holes in the side to expose the barrel beneath. I thought about just taking the cheap and nasty way of floating geometry projecting the illusion of capsule shaped indents on it, but I'd like to try an exercise in getting the details as accurate as possible using actual geometry.

I've tried using boolean / proboolean (pics inbound) but it makes it difficult to cleanly connect the inner and outer edges of the barrel carriage.
>>
>>537145
add some vertices around where the holes will be booleaned out to pad the geometry, perhaps with added loops
>>
File: g19g4.png (13KB, 642x414px) Image search: [Google]
g19g4.png
13KB, 642x414px
>>
File: gun1.png (324KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
gun1.png
324KB, 960x540px
>>537144
Thanks for the tips. What do you think of my previous attempt at guns?
>>
>>537155
Feel lik I should point out I used a tutorial for these. Basically to get a good idea of how the gun modeling process goes.
>>
File: oGEAfCF[1].png (440KB, 1280x2048px) Image search: [Google]
oGEAfCF[1].png
440KB, 1280x2048px
>>537155
They look okay from what I can see, but the texture and overall shape could always use more refinement.

Things like the grips for example, look strangely curved at the corners where they should be either angular, or just slightly rounded. The foresight on the gun is also really wide and should be narrow enough to line up with the gap of the rear sight. The ejection port also needs to be cut away a bit more over the right side of the gun.

Best thing you can do (if you're doing weapons) is look for as many reference photos from different angles as you can. Take the time to get the shape right, and never rush it. One good way to get started when doing guns is, if applicable, find side shot of it and trace the silhouette when needed to help keep it in proportion. The diameter of the Barrel shown in these can also help you get the overall thickness and proportion of the rest of the gun right.

As for the texture, try and locate areas with hard edges where wear and tear would show, so scratches, dings, and general marking. You can put these into a specular mask and they'll show up really well.
>>
whats the best place for some nice free textures?
>>
File: g19g4pt2.png (57KB, 849x486px) Image search: [Google]
g19g4pt2.png
57KB, 849x486px
im 3 months in / self taught.
go easy on me
>>
+1537 tris ^
>>
>>537163
Mesh is okay, albeit a bit low poly. Your texture needs a lot of work though, as texture is super important for lower poly meshes.

Try modeling in finer details, things like switches, slide grooves etc. Stuff that covers a large area with a pattern such as the non-slip grip dots could be done using either concave or convex floating geometry.
>>
File: junkbuilding.png (317KB, 522x632px) Image search: [Google]
junkbuilding.png
317KB, 522x632px
>>537167
im making this stuff (this particularly just being testing junk) for a game me and a friend are piecing together slowly but surely and im a bit paranoid in regard to polycount. I dont know whats too much completely. Im not real great at texturing either.
learning all of this stuff has been a pretty enduring process.
I have a long way to go yet.
>>
>>537169
That's the only way to learn, keep it up.

As for polycounts, it doesn't matter nearly as much as it used to. Way back in say, 2003, you had to be a lot more conservative about them. The best way to figure it out might be to look at current games that have the same style you're going after, and find out what the polycounts are for those objects, scenes, how many on-screen at a time etc.

It's also a matter of using polys correctly based on the item. First person weapons viewmodel? It's close to the camera, it's going to need a good solid polycount. Skybox building far away? You could probably get away with 6 polys, a simple cube.

If you can texture effectively and make use of things like normalmapping, you can "cheat" the higher polycount look, but this feels like it's almost becoming obsolete.

When I did weapons for Half-Life 2 about a decade ago, the first person view model for weapons was about 3000 by source engine limitations/standards. Nowadays I sometimes hit 10 000 polys for the low poly model.

The USP Match pistol I did here >>537159 is 2850 polys if you exclude the high poly geometry used for making normalmaps. 2850 for a modern game engine is a cakewalk, and I probably should have smoothened out the edges further, but every few thousand polys saved is a few more thousand that can go on more interesting assetts like human faces and whatnot.
>>
>>537175
I cant help but be somewhat jealous of your skills man lol
You made weaps for half life 2? decades ago? how long have you been at it!?
very nice work.
>>
>>537169
smooth your edges a tiny tiny bit.
>>
>>537186
that was purely a texturing project for me. that mesh is total garbage. bout as simple as it gets.
>>
>>537071
>>537116
>>537120
I feel like the problem is the mixed soft shading and hard shading. The faces have soft shadows on the nose and eyes but some wierd sharp shadows on the side and body that doesn't fit.

I'd just get rid of the sharp shadows and make everything look soft. That would go much better with the intended style.
>>
File: BcBxsUv[1].png (795KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
BcBxsUv[1].png
795KB, 1280x1024px
>>537176
I've been at it since January of 2009, although I mostly do guns and architecture stuff, props, mechanical junk. Never have been good with humans or organics though.

Before that, I did brush-based models in Valves HL2 Hammer Editor. Hammer is actually still my preferred way to bang out an architectural design or structure, but max is awesome for details.

Never honestly thought I'd be able to do this kind of work though, it's only just "snapped" inside me recently that my models are actually a hell of a lot better than they were even just last year or so.

One thing that kind of helped me is patience - always take the time to model out finer details. If you take the time to model out all the tiny switches, levers, bits and pieces of an item, it makes it look a hell of a lot more detailed and complete, rather than just texturing it in.
>>
File: Lambo.png (116KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
Lambo.png
116KB, 960x540px
low poly vert painted Aventador for a game my friends and I might be making
>>537133
nice gun, would like to see the hammer separated though
>>537169
Should be Hitlery 2016 on the post apocalyptic building, as for polys google that shit, although it becomes more important if its a moba/ top down perspective game as well as if you have a computer from decades ago.
>>
File: 50s0.jpg (177KB, 1899x869px) Image search: [Google]
50s0.jpg
177KB, 1899x869px
Currently trying to give it that "lived in" look.
>>
File: 50s1.jpg (134KB, 1899x869px) Image search: [Google]
50s1.jpg
134KB, 1899x869px
>>537311
The living room so far.

Using the regular camera because rendering takes hours and it's nowhere near ready for that yet.
>>
>>537269
Where's da normal map though
>>
>>537269
the bore is enormous tho. are you sure its accurate?
>>
>>537175
That's that Titanic map that some made for the Cryengine several years ago. Why are you pretending that you made it?
>>
>>537312
Nice, I starting doing something similar but with only my room so I can add a shit ton of clutter
>>
Trying 3d for few months. First attempt at realistic rendering.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qme1DLtL06M
>>
File: untitled.png (200KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
untitled.png
200KB, 1024x768px
>>537326
Yep, the reason it is so big initially is that it must accommodate the bolt housing, which is really thick and also contains the firing pin. It narrows down a bit further up the barrel where it holds the round casing in place to stop it from being knocked up the barrel, and another small narrow area which is the exact diameter of the round itself.

I matched Valves specifications and dimensions of their original rifle, and I agree, the barrel and gun itself is just stupid thick, but I kind of like how beefy it makes it look. It looks as though you could go truck hunting with it.

>>537331
I never said I made it. It's a snapshot I took in UE4 not Cryengine (see filename) from the Four Funnels project "Titanic: Honor [sic] & Glory". I was just using it as a reference regarding how far things have advanced since the mid 2000s. You can get away with a lot more polys onscreen. Details like the depressions and etchings in the walls and ceilings are all now modeled in rather than using normalmaps. Either way, didn't mean to come across as looking though I made it.
>>
>>537312
Dude, there are some weird insects on you're ceiling, be careful.
>>
>>537339
you're not good with guns too I see
>>
>>537341
In terms of?
>>
>>537343
Unsmoothed edges, meshes connecting ugly, smoothing artifacts due to bad topology, etc...
>>
>>537344

>>Unsmoothed edges
Generally I'll do a smoothing group pass very late, or when the model itself is complete since the mesh is constantly being worked on and changed.

>>Meshes connecting ugly
I'm not 100% sure what you mean, can you redline an example (by which I mean show how it's bad, and how it should look)?

>>smoothing artifacts due to bad topology, etc.
If you're referring to the sniper rifle, it is still heavily incomplete and a WIP (hence posting in this thread). I'm very picky about getting the measurements of each area to line up correctly, and at the moment I still need to correct a lot of that.

Also care to show me one of your own models? I'd like to see what I'm doing wrong and work on it.
>>
File: pipes.png (131KB, 1245x991px) Image search: [Google]
pipes.png
131KB, 1245x991px
How do I go about connecting pipes in pic related? Preferably without boolean modifier since that shit gives terrible results. Should I restart and use a skin modifier? Should I use lower poly circles first?
>>
>>537339
It's the same map. It was just ported over. And the bit that's you assume aren't normal mapped, like the etchings, are.
>>
>>537349
multi cut that junk and merge verts accordingly, booleans aren't worth the trouble
>>
>>537356
When is the best time to use booleans anyway? cuz I can't think of a single time I'd use booleans compared to some other option
>>
>>537349
Cut into the pipes at 45 degrees. If the pipes are the same diameter, they should connect/weld just fine.

>>537355
Perhaps etchings is not the correct term. I meant any kind of extrusion like a windowframe or ceiling/floor trim etc. Balustrades are modeled in rather than being a simple alphamapped texture with translucency.

Way back when, this stuff was all a flat wall texture with a normalmap and a window sometimes cut out in it. Now things like the windowframe etc are modeled in. Normalmaps are still used for finer details like fine engravings, but things like the ceiling trims that run adjacent to the wall and ceiling are modeled in.
>>
>>537349
Sadly a bunch of other anons gave you information, but you should ignore them and clear your mind. If you want to become a better modeller (assuming you know about the main tools in your 3D package), you should think of how to solve this problem. It's a good way too use critical thinking skills in order to make this become second nature. I know you're probably learning but utilizing your problem solving skills will help you indefinitely for poly modelling. Turn on wireframe over the matte materials while modelling and just problem solve. I know you can do it.
>>
>>537349
http://web.stanford.edu/class/me469b/download/tg03.pdf
>>
>>537358
It's better to avoid them is what I've been told, too much remeshing objects you can make on your own
>>
File: popcornLrg.jpg (28KB, 340x340px) Image search: [Google]
popcornLrg.jpg
28KB, 340x340px
>>537336
Best of luck, yo. Getting clutter to look real is something I've always found daunting.

>>537340
keked

That's actually a sort of textured drywall they put on ceilings back in the day.
It was called an "acoustic" or "popcorn" ceiling and the idea was to reduce echo.
I think they look neat but people irl seem to disagree.
>>
>>537358
You can bool in Zbrush and it works great.
Modo's Mesh fusion is great even if its UI is terrible.
I've spent some time with Blender and the Hardops plugin and its works well for Hardsurface modelling, but you have to retopo some of the meshes.
>>
>>537349
https://vimeo.com/6757036
>>
File: wipface.png (146KB, 1304x943px) Image search: [Google]
wipface.png
146KB, 1304x943px
Basically my first time modelling a face and it's a bit of a mess. Guess it's a learning experience.
>>
>>537349

That's actually a perfect example of when a boolean modifier should work fine.
>>
>>537446
WATCH A GOOD DAMN TUTORIAL
>>
File: Screenshot_45.png (288KB, 1500x932px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_45.png
288KB, 1500x932px
first time working in Zbrush, a school project. Losing confidence in the design though, I just want to scrap everything and start from scratch.
>>
File: 00145402.jpg (31KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
00145402.jpg
31KB, 500x500px
>>537470
if you ask me it dosnt look like panties at all
you need to work on it
>>
>>537471
I had me a good chuckle
>>
>>537471

I'm thinking, maybe some boxers instead.
>>
File: pipes.png (128KB, 913x456px) Image search: [Google]
pipes.png
128KB, 913x456px
>>537349
I learned how to do it, thanks for all the replies.
>>
File: wipface2.png (345KB, 889x910px) Image search: [Google]
wipface2.png
345KB, 889x910px
>>537446
>>537453
I guess it's time to go back to the drawing board. Anyone recommend a good damn tutorial for modelling faces?
>>
>>537541
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86JiuZpbi_w
>>
File: pipe.png (375KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
pipe.png
375KB, 960x540px
>>537499
Progress.
>>
File: wipface3.png (558KB, 1712x939px) Image search: [Google]
wipface3.png
558KB, 1712x939px
>>537541

OK, trying again, doing roughly what the tutorial says. Not convinced those eyelids are going to work out, but general edge flow seems a lot better and the mouth looks a lot more mouth-shaped already.
>>
>>537541
>>537569
what the fuck
>>
>>537569
>>537541
>>537446
Jesus fuck, just give up.
>>
>>537569
use a reference image for the side view. The edge flow is much better, but the shape of the face is obviously bad.
Ignore these guys
>>537570
>>537571
and keep pushing those vertices.
Also think about different techniques. How is your sculpting?
>>
File: wipfacerotate.gif (2MB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
wipfacerotate.gif
2MB, 960x540px
>>537569
>>537575

Thanks, anon. I added a bit more to the head, slightly unfucked the shape, added some eyelids and slapped some basic materials on it and I think I'm making progress, although it's obviously still badly flawed.
>>
>>537569
YOU NEED A SIDE REFRANCE DIPSHIT FOR THE DEPTH OF THE FUCKING FACE
>>
>>537569
>>537582

That's a complete nightmare.
>>
>>537582
>slightly unfucked the shape
unfuck more
>>
>>537071
Hows this going?
>>
File: Head.png (21KB, 586x433px) Image search: [Google]
Head.png
21KB, 586x433px
How does this head look?
>>
>>537582
You have probably at least another 99 badly shaped faces inside of you, which must be purged out before you get to the good stuff.
At this stage you should look A LOT at anatomy and references, maybe draw a little bit and sculpt. Don't put too much energy into finishing or polishing or texturing, just keep building face shapes.
There is a discrepancy between what you want and what you are able to archive.
That is the "Valley of Suck".
You gotta go through it, and it takes time and can be frustrating.
If you give up, you loose.
Its important to know that this is a thing and all Artists have to go through it.
That's why you should not attach your ego to your work.
Adopt a Samurai spirit and regard your work as "dead" the moment you stop working on it.
Then you can laugh about commentaries as these
>>537599
>>537607
because you know they are right and it still doesn't hurt your motivation.
>>
>>537614
That's actually incredibly inspirational. Thanks, anon!

And thank you to everyone who posts their work and criticism. Even if it's just 'that sucks', it helps overcome that blindness you get to your work's flaws after spending too long on it. Knowing that other people hate it makes it easier to see more of the errors.

That's why I post on 4chan and not other forums; because when you fuck up, people are not afraid to say so. It's harsh and kind of painful to read, but learning should be kind of painful and I'd rather be fucking up and getting called out for it than doing what I'm comfortable with. Because if I'm not fucking up, that means I'm not pushing myself beyond what I'm capable of. Man's reach must ever exceed his grasp and all that.
>>
>>537610
call pixar
>>
>>537566
That's a lotta nuts.
>>
File: test.jpg (638KB, 2631x1110px) Image search: [Google]
test.jpg
638KB, 2631x1110px
soemthing like mad max bus
>>
>>537627
i like the shader
>>
File: Catapult.jpg (34KB, 640x852px) Image search: [Google]
Catapult.jpg
34KB, 640x852px
My first try at a mech. I'm using merchwarrior's Catapult as a reference. I do modeling only for 3d printing, so I probably won't go past adding a single material for everything. I'm also using floating geometry to see if I like something before attaching it to my geometry, which never occured to me (yeah duh).

Things are still too stuck to xyz planes but I'll keep working this way for now and probably add a FFD later, since I'm a bit of OCD with vertex alignment and not very experienced to working with non planar stuff.

Criticism is welcome
>>
>>537638
its too bright, cant see anything
>>
>>537643

K, I'll change the materials when I get back to the pc and post again
>>
File: Witch.png (256KB, 1065x963px) Image search: [Google]
Witch.png
256KB, 1065x963px
Made a witch in blender. Is it good?
>>
>>537582
ayyy lmao
>>
File: jp bus.png (912KB, 788x496px) Image search: [Google]
jp bus.png
912KB, 788x496px
>>537627
Reminds me of the bus/RV lab thing from JP 2 (pic related).
Just don't have it teeter off a cliff and you should be golden.
>>
File: Catapult_3.jpg (51KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Catapult_3.jpg
51KB, 640x480px
>>537643

better?
>>
File: Eyes lp re 3.png (407KB, 1920x1018px) Image search: [Google]
Eyes lp re 3.png
407KB, 1920x1018px
I'm kinda new and am I missing anything major? Any comments?
>>
>>537678
SUCC
>>
>>537678
Ears, maybe
>>
File: 1475942164174.jpg (27KB, 324x278px) Image search: [Google]
1475942164174.jpg
27KB, 324x278px
>>537678
Have you ever seen a human being before?
>>
File: SINTEL LOOPS.jpg (396KB, 1600x793px) Image search: [Google]
SINTEL LOOPS.jpg
396KB, 1600x793px
>>537678
/3/ should discuss facial topology more.

Start over, anon. Watch tutorials.
I'm about to break the /3/ code, but fuck everyone who says "just practicemore hurr".
You NEED to watch tutorials and look at references on how pros do things.

You have too many polys that serve no purpose.
Your loop flow is incredibly fucked.
Your poles are bizarre.
You have an uneven amount of polys above vs below the lip.
You have too many polys that serve no purpose.

It's basically just fucked. Start over.

T O P O L O G Y

Topology and proper loop flow is absolutely everything when doing traditional modeling.

And no, you can't ignore it if you decide to just learn how to sculpt instead. This is something everyone needs to understand because retopologizing exists.
If you choose to ignore it, you'll have a ton of fun trying to weight a character with the disgusting mesh topology zbrush spits out.

Look at this pic. See how fucking beautiful and uniform everything is?
This is what you should strive for, and even in this example, the topology isn't perfect.

Regardless, still better than my first attempt.
>>
>>537685
I've never understood how/why people work with such high poly-counts. I always end up with relatively low-poly meshes and rely on subdivisions to smooth it because it simplifies things immensely.

Are film-production meshes typically that dense at the creation level?
>>
>>537685
i think the guy knows what topology means
he is just not good enough to apply that knowledge.

not all people are dedicated enough to make head a day.
if you do 3D as a hobby most likely your shit will never look good. this is the hard truth people don't want to here
>>
>>537686
>Are film-production meshes typically that dense at the creation level?

much more if we are talking hollywood.
at this high level of art people don't count every edge you make because they have large fundings and can render on more than one computer
>>
>>537688
What I mean is, doesn't adding so many polys just make the mesh more difficult to work with, not computationally, for the artist.

I mean, Sintel there looks fine but that's because the head is separate from the body, if you were to have it attached to one, all of those loops are going to be a pain to manage.
>>
>>537675
yep thanks
lookin alright
>>
>>537693
>What I mean is, doesn't adding so many polys just make the mesh more difficult to work with, not computationally, for the artist.

the artist sculpts the model. another guy does retopology (not always) and another guy is doing the textures.

this is how production pipeline works
>>
>>537693

This
>>537697

You've also got to consider that on well designed models, mostly everything is set up for loops.

I'm fairly certain mostly everything is sculpted nowadays, but if for whatever reason you're creating a high-poly model traditionally, you're going to want to set up very good edgeflow and loops from the beginning, to not make your work devolve into hell.

So while at the beginning of the modeling process you're editing 200-300 different verts, near the end you're editing 200-300 different LOOPS.

Modeling is a very procedural process. You don't immediately jump to the highest number of loops possible right off the bat.
You shape and define with whatever you've got, until you can't shape or define anymore.

And then you add a loop.
And you shape and define that loop to add detail.

And then you add another loop.

The process goes on until you're satisfied with the amount of detail you've got.
It's very rare to have to reshape an entire model after you've already got all your definition laid down, and at that point it may even be easier to just start over.

This is, of course, only one method of modeling. Box modeling, specifically.
Edge modelers on the other hand are crazy fuckers.
I can't wrap my head around how they process information into their models. It's an entirely different process.
>>
>>537698
looking at many realtime models before (the ones that are fitting for computer games) most of the edges in the model are uniform. meaning they have far apart and have about the same distance from eachother.

the face however can be more dense. its hard to understand this process completely until you done retoplogy more than dozen times until you get perfect bakes in all of your maps.

it is a process that require alot of practice. however there are unique tools to help you do this quickly, there are some quad-drawing tools that let you mark the topology on a surface and it draws loops around it then lets you adjust the number of loops you want.

a good artist will most likely to be equipped with such tools as production work can be very tedious.
>>
>>537615
Cute.

This anon is mai waifu.
>>
>>537685
Well, thanks. I have a very rough idea about topology I guess I should look more into it.
Also maybe adding some ears is not a bad idea too.
>>
File: NpBFHel.jpg (2MB, 2766x2399px) Image search: [Google]
NpBFHel.jpg
2MB, 2766x2399px
still early world building stages. everything besides the buildings are placeholder. Props and details to setdress everything come next week / building lighting later. Any composition recommendations / crits? Really my first foray in maya and unreal. Going to zbrush the canyon walls / rock elements. Mostly just a little area for some cool shots.

http://m.imgur.com/6wnUg44
>>
>>537746
i want to shoot the guns there
>>
File: igg6Ojm.jpg (92KB, 720x547px) Image search: [Google]
igg6Ojm.jpg
92KB, 720x547px
>>537748
>>
File: proc_rock_rev1.jpg (2MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
proc_rock_rev1.jpg
2MB, 2560x1440px
Trying to make procedural rock materials, what do you think?
>>
>>537787
Harder edges, they look bubbly and a little too soft in a lot of areas, but really good otherwise. Are they all low poly without normal or spec maps?
>>
>>537788
15k verts on most, not sure - I think that would be medium poly?

And yeah, no normal or spec map
>>
>>537789
>15k verts
Oh, so they aren't baked yet. They could easily be sub-100 verts. "Medium poly" is determined by the context I guess. I think most vidya characters now a day are at least that much at their "low poly" stage.

Could be wrong, but I don't think normal or spec maps have much of an effect on high poly models since those maps come from the high poly models and baked to the low poly. Anyway, you should create a primitive like a sphere and shrinkwrap it around the rocks to get easily made sub-100 vert low poly versions of those rocks.
>>
>>537790
I don't like the rocks really, they werent even my focus here. I wanted to find out if I can make rock materials that can be slapped on anything and look okay
>>
>>537791
The red rocks look pretty good. The texture on the gray rocks may be okay but the rocks themselves look pretty bad. The moss or the grass looks realy bad, like paint, but it may look alright if you added moss in as a separate object or as hair.
>>
>>537792
Yeah, thought about handling the moss that way.

Not sure how to do it tough. The placement of the moss is controlled wit hnodes, so its always the 'top' part of the mesh. No idea how could I do that with hair or particles
>>
>>537698
I dunno, edge modeling just felt more natural to me.
You make a cylinder and then extrude it into a torso.
You make holes in the cylinder and extrude arms out of it, etc.
You are in control of every single loop, so you can build to topology step by step.

When I am presented with box modeling, my brain just shuts down. "You mean you can shape a box into a torso while still having in mind how many edges the limbs will have? Uh? Huh?"
>>
>>537787
looks bad
>>
>>537799
You're not very helpful
>>
>>537800
You're not very good at 3d
>>
>>537801
Whats this fucking fifth grade?

Giving a reasoning in any shape or form transcends your abilities so far you have to resort to ad hominem attacks? Namecalling is is sad as a twelve year old, but downright pathetic as an adult.

I didn't claim I was good at 3D I only started playing around with it a few months ago really.
>>
>>537802
You're also incompetent and angry :)
>>
>>537627
Bendy bus becomes a battlewagon. Nice.

>>537787

I don't know much about rocks, but shouldn't there be a bit more in the way of lines running through them? I think only igneous rock would have that texture but the squared off shapes are more characteristic of sedimentary rock if I remember my geology from school.

Also, that lichen looks very green and even. I seem to remember it usually having a lot of grey and yellow and being more patchy with less preference for only growing on the sunny side.

Sharp edges need a bit more 'wear' effect on them, making them paler too, I think.

Overall though, it looks pretty decent. The pink ones look best in my opinion.
>>
>>537787
looks awful
>>
>>537799
>>537836

You guys are as helpful as a ladle of mothfart
>>
File: Capture.jpg (55KB, 948x469px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
55KB, 948x469px
Practicing with mayas sculpting tools
>>
>>537900
Are they taking a shit?
>>
>>537903
taking a shit the roman way as i can see
>>
>>537900
Me on the left.
>>
File: Zbrush.jpg (119KB, 1504x932px) Image search: [Google]
Zbrush.jpg
119KB, 1504x932px
Trying out Zbrush and its really refreshing after hard surface modeling for a few months straight.
>>
>>537847
This is 4chan. Board don't matter, that is simply the most common personality type. BTW I like your texture a lot, it's quite good so far - though it can still be further improved imo. Some of the smoother bumping on certain faces looks particularly unnatural.
>>
>>537903
Toilet is the best time to ponder philosophy

>>537912
asl?
>>
File: IMG_7594.jpg (35KB, 549x688px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7594.jpg
35KB, 549x688px
Dis gud?
>>
>>537965

Can't see fuck. Try using some lighting.
>>
>>537965
no, not at al
looks like an alien toy thrown into a microwave for few minutes
>>
File: compShip7.png (1MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
compShip7.png
1MB, 1280x720px
Working on a spaceship cockpit
>>
>>537977
>gas an brake pedals
>>
File: Airbus_A380_cockpit.jpg (444KB, 1721x1148px) Image search: [Google]
Airbus_A380_cockpit.jpg
444KB, 1721x1148px
>>537978

Look closely.
>>
>>537977
Yours look retarded as fuck. Not that anon but it reminds me of poor design choices.

Ultimately it's subjective but they look stupid as fuck with everything else in mind.
>>
>>537980

Good point. I've been meaning to replace them too

They look like go kart pedals
>>
>>537976
Ok so at least I accomplished something... this is based on alien, hellraisers chatter and RE lickers

Care to elaborate? I'm all ears for criticism but if it's all "this is bad" I wouldn't ask for opinions. This is like my second scultp, I'm well aware that it sucks, need tips on what to improve
>>
>>537977
The pedals are not a problem for me, but it is lacking a lot of other controls. Two small screens don't make sense, even modern cars have a single lcd cluster with multiple indicators and modes. Also keep in mind that levers and knobs are better controllers than touch screen. I don't know if that's what the screens are meant to be, but physical controlers are more instinctive because you can know where they are by touch, which is a huge disadvantage of touch screens.

Finally it's too symmetrical, ofc it's a work in progress, but try to keep in mind that it becomes a bit uncanny on the long run
>>
>>537979
tfw pilot is playing gta 5
>>
>>537995
>>537965
lack of structure mostly
where are the pectoral muscles, where is the ribcage etc

also i know some might call giger for inspiration, but to me he was creepy weird fuck who couldnt draw for shit and couldnt disconnect his professorial work form his personal fetish obsessions
the reinterpretation of his work by other artists are much better, and use his style as detail to a believable structure than a replacement of it

anyway, with a second sculpt its hopeless, it will be 200 sculpts before you will be able to realize your visions fully
focus on anatomy and structure for now
>>
>>537057
Why do the textures look so bad but it looks great overall?
>>
>>538053
because that's just one aspect of it. there's still lighting, composition, color, theme, etc
>>
File: UDK_Concept[1].jpg (120KB, 1440x810px) Image search: [Google]
UDK_Concept[1].jpg
120KB, 1440x810px
>>538053
>Why do the textures look so bad
I was just starting to learn how to bake my own textures.

>but it looks great overall?
It is a lazy recreation of a GW2 concept art piece, which was made by someone far more talented than I.
>>
>>538045
>>538045

I'm not a great Giger fan desu, I just had this tought for a few weeks of a creature with no eyes and nose, then I recalled where I had seen this before and realized that those were influences

I hope I don't sound full of shit, but I know the chest muscles are not anatomicaly correct. I try to sculpt monster with bizarre anatomies, but I think I might be jumping ahead too much since I never tried a standard humanoid, and that's the second sculpt I post that someone calls my attention to anatomy.

I guess I'll move a few steps back and try a standard anatomy first, thanks for making me realize that
>>
File: campbell.jpg (91KB, 700x393px) Image search: [Google]
campbell.jpg
91KB, 700x393px
>>537057
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/amdev/the-angels-of-gallipoli
opinions on the trailer?
>>
File: 1d.jpg (315KB, 1200x767px) Image search: [Google]
1d.jpg
315KB, 1200x767px
>>
>>538081
>https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/amdev/the-angels-of-gallipoli

is this some kind of brokeback mountain expierence game? well the sound is pretty nice.
but dude the models look really really bad. like 1995 bad. dont call it "your style" or what ever. if you want to do low poly shit be creative but this is not the way to approach people in 2016. look whats available on the games market. but if youre into outdated games with gay elements i guess youre good.
>>
File: anal.png (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
anal.png
3MB, 1920x1080px
>>538081
what happens in south africa stays in south africa
>>
>>538085
Cute, but seems undecided if it wants to be realistic or stylised. Simplify the boots if it's meant to be stylised, work out the structure of everything else (how do the sleeves stay up, how does the cloth on the torso hang, what is that hat made of and how was it formed, etc) if it's meant to be realistic.
>>
>>538059
anatomy is the most important aspect of character design
you can shit all over a piece design wise and it will still look good with proper forms and anatomy
many people confuse anatomy with humanoid look, which just isnt the case, district 9 aliens looked great exactly since they made sense, not since people love bugs so much and were blown away by bug aliens idea

>>538085
looks good family
sculpted from scratch?
also since the image is for ants i cant tell, but she looks crosseyed
>>
>>538113
>>537965

What about now? I know the anatomy is far from ideal yet, but now it's starting to look just like a person with a different head, and I'd like to avoid that...
>>
File: Sem título.png (144KB, 637x671px) Image search: [Google]
Sem título.png
144KB, 637x671px
>>538120

no image, my bad
>>
>>537996
It looks to me like the central area and the bit center-top is where he's going to put other controls, like buttons and switches and shit. Those screens also look like MFDs (multi-function displays) to me with buttons around the outside edge, though possibly too many per side.

So basically, copying >>537979
>>
File: 17ybxrjs41eqsjpg.jpg (69KB, 800x474px) Image search: [Google]
17ybxrjs41eqsjpg.jpg
69KB, 800x474px
>>538126
>>537996

I borrowed this design. Still missing switches but there aren't that many
>>
File: compShip8.png (1022KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
compShip8.png
1022KB, 1280x720px
>>538135

I got this done in a day and a half. I'm slowing down to let teamates do stuff. Still missing the seats
>>
File: hairMC_7.jpg (28KB, 604x693px) Image search: [Google]
hairMC_7.jpg
28KB, 604x693px
Reworked the hair
>>
>>538137
goddamn at least round the corners on the pedals or something. It looks fucking dopey having a nice clean, open cockpit, large windows completely surrounding the pilots, then pedals hanging down awkwardly, that don't match the aesthetic of anything in the cockpit. if you're set on having pedals, which makes zero sense inside a spaceship, then aaat least have a flight stick to match.
>>
File: sc13.jpg (212KB, 598x897px) Image search: [Google]
sc13.jpg
212KB, 598x897px
>>538149

The space shuttle itself.

Also, the seat is missing, and that's where the sticks are attached. The pedals will get an overhaul at some point
>>
File: Witch Dress 3.jpg (66KB, 1000x1250px) Image search: [Google]
Witch Dress 3.jpg
66KB, 1000x1250px
New Hallowe'en outfit gotta make hat, hair, broom and panties still.
>>
>>538151
Pedals honestly don't make much sense in a spacecraft unless it's meant to be flown in the atmosphere like the Shuttle. They're the rudder. In space two sticks with twist for 6 DoF flight would make more sense.
>>
File: sureenough.png (150KB, 472x285px) Image search: [Google]
sureenough.png
150KB, 472x285px
Hair is my weakness. But Ive been getting better.
>>
File: so confused.png (149KB, 842x543px) Image search: [Google]
so confused.png
149KB, 842x543px
why does my model look like this when i put it into Substance painter?

are my uv's fucked?
>>
>>538188
models tend to look like goo when they have no proper smoothing groups
>>
File: AmishDinnerChair.png (592KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
AmishDinnerChair.png
592KB, 1600x900px
>>538189
where would i set the smoothing groups?
maya? or SP?

its really strange because my other models didnt look like that when i took it in, maybe it was because i used ep curve
>>
>>538190

Just harden/soften your edges.

Smoothing groups is for some other software.
>>
>>538190
maya
you can either use smoothing groups or add edges in the far end of every face
>>
File: so confused.png (295KB, 1778x912px) Image search: [Google]
so confused.png
295KB, 1778x912px
>>538191
>>538192
added some more edge loops around the egdes and hardened it again but when i take it to SP it still looks the same

also getting weird effect when i soften the edges

is my model just borked?
>>
>>538194
its fine, just have confidence in your texturing shading and its gonna be alright senpai
>>
>>538196
>>538194

fix your model, your topology is most likely fucked. Those are some funky artifacts, especially the square one on the table leg.
>>
>>538094
Looks like that sims kind of style
>>
>>538194
check your normals
>>
>>538194
You need to add more support edge loops. See those distortions coming from under the table where the legs meet the surface? You need to add edge loops around the outside, pushing them close to the legs. Do this wherever necessary and do it seperate from the low poly. Duplicate it, add a bunch of supporting edge loops, then bake it down to the low poly. Use that baked high poly normal map as a base. I'm not sure how Substance Painter handles it, but you should certainly be able to import a base normal map to edit on top of.
>>
>>538178

I hear you on the hair. I can do cloth just fine and I can sculpt hair but trying to retopo it always turns into a nightmare.
>>
File: finally.png (113KB, 1646x962px) Image search: [Google]
finally.png
113KB, 1646x962px
>>538196
>>538197
>>538204
>>538206
i just decided to say fuck it and remodel it using box modeling instead of using curves
finally came out silky smooth and with a lower polycount

i have a hunch it had something to do with me using curves since i hardly have any experience using them
>>
>>538219
the only reason it looks different is because the normals are set hard. look up how normals work in relation to shading; it's a a ridiculously basic topic that so few people here seem grasp. i can't blame people for that; the problem is people giving instruction to beginners basically never talk about it. smooth groups/soft hard edges? those relate to your normals. each face and triangle has a normal that affects how the model looks when shaded and when you're assigning smoothing groups in max or setting edge hardness in maya what it's doing is averaging out those normals or setting the normals to the face value. understanding WHY this change in the normal direction affects how your model looks when shaded is important to understand
>>
File: Aldo_Shoe_01.jpg (174KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Aldo_Shoe_01.jpg
174KB, 1920x1080px
making a shoe for reasons
>>
>>538211
I think I can retopo it pretty decently. For me its the sculpt.
>>
File: Untitled9.png (196KB, 1600x862px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled9.png
196KB, 1600x862px
Finally finished.

I know the topography isn't clean, this isn't meant for video games.

I need to separate some parts and get it organized for 3D printing now.
>>
>>538251
Reminds me of Aliens vehicle. Keep it up.
>>
>>537627
how do you turn dually front wheels
why does have horse cocks for mirrors
where did engine
>>
File: proportions.jpg (206KB, 1882x704px) Image search: [Google]
proportions.jpg
206KB, 1882x704px
>>537057
What do you think of my proportions?
>>
File: proportions2.jpg (110KB, 908x677px) Image search: [Google]
proportions2.jpg
110KB, 908x677px
>>538298
new proportions
>>
>>538300
Definitely looks better. But anyway just take a front photo of a space marine figure and compare really.
>>
>>538232

Did you model the diamond pattern and stitches. Looks good.
>>
>>538317
Well I have the miniature on my desk as comparison but it's not really the style I'm going for. The miniatures are really bulky and short. I want my marine to look daunting as fuck so that's why I'm playing around with the proportions.
>>
File: Diamondshape_01.jpg (40KB, 942x600px) Image search: [Google]
Diamondshape_01.jpg
40KB, 942x600px
>>538319

I made simple diamond shape and then rendered out a top down of it with a falloff map to make a pseudo displacement map, tiled it in photoshop and used that to run a vray displacement. Pic related.

The stitches are just a stitch spline shape (basically a wave) with a sweep mod that is path deformed to the shoes subdivided edge loops.
>>
File: Witch Dress 8.jpg (80KB, 1000x1250px) Image search: [Google]
Witch Dress 8.jpg
80KB, 1000x1250px
Almost done the modelling part. I hate doing texture maps though.
>>
>>538272

It is the M577 APC from Aliens.

I based it off the real, working vehicle they made, not the studio model or model kits.
>>
>>538274
Are you actually mentally retarded?

Dual wheels turn at the same time, you fucking moron.

The windows are bull horns.

Are you seriously unaware of how a RV engine works?
>>
File: dually-gmc_o.jpg (179KB, 1816x1313px) Image search: [Google]
dually-gmc_o.jpg
179KB, 1816x1313px
>>538389

Yeah, I think he understands the wheels turn at the same time, but the wheel well on that model is so tight the wheels wouldn't be able to turn. You basically need a giant wheel well for the tires to actually have clearance when they rotate.
>>
File: t1.jpg (167KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
t1.jpg
167KB, 1280x960px
deep in the grind this weekend, final review on Wednesday for this rooftop renovation project
>>
>>538396
please add a sky
>>
File: gay little dragon.png (241KB, 910x883px) Image search: [Google]
gay little dragon.png
241KB, 910x883px
>>
File: alfjalfdj.png (63KB, 775x621px) Image search: [Google]
alfjalfdj.png
63KB, 775x621px
this is much easier
hopefully my edge loops are right this time
the only triangle I have is near the end of the nose area, but there are none in the mouth

going to do details after I finish with the bases
>>
File: WsIP.jpg (803KB, 2000x1612px) Image search: [Google]
WsIP.jpg
803KB, 2000x1612px
Trying to make my steampunk OC and just found freaknik again after ages of not remembering it so I decided to try and make that as well. Having a great time working on both so far.
>>
>>538427
more like T-Penis xDDDDDDDDDD
>>
>>538300
The proportions look pretty terrible, but that's kind of inevitable considering the source. I think you've improved on the GW design while still keeping it close enough to the original that it has the same style. The one thing I would try and do is bring the hips together a bit; I know space marines traditionally have breeding hips capable of bearing a servo-skull, but the art of them with normal pelvis anatomy looks so much better and you can still give them the 'shit my power armour' squat if you like.

>>538232

Looks pretty good, but I think the material needs a bit more thickness to it.

>>538251

Looks good to me, but don't most 3D printers have issues with geometry sticking through other geometry?

Also, aren't there already good kits of it out there? Why go to the effort of 3D printing something you can buy?

>>538417
I suspect that you are going to have issues with the wings unless you start figuring out how they attach to the torso properly before doing anything else.

>>538426
Are you planning to do eyelids?

The quads around the eye and the parts closest to the mouth don't form a proper loops. This will cause issues. Do a loop cut and see how your edges go all over the place.

>>538427
Not sure those hands work with the rest stylistically. You've got three different kinds of joint on one character, which is probably too much.
>>
>>538441
Yea I was just free styling the hands. I didn't sketch it out first so there's that. Gonna try a couple more.
>>
>>538441
>I suspect that you are going to have issues with the wings unless you start figuring out how they attach to the torso properly before doing anything else.

Yeah you're right. I didn't even think very much about the pose of the wings and I noticed now that they cover alot of the body up when looking at it from certain angles. Thank you for pointing that out.
>>
File: babby's first tiddies.png (48KB, 998x773px) Image search: [Google]
babby's first tiddies.png
48KB, 998x773px
>>538441
thanks for the advice,
I fixed them

as for eyelids, maybe/maybe not. right now I'm grinding and practicing
>>
File: renderTurk.png (98KB, 619x753px) Image search: [Google]
renderTurk.png
98KB, 619x753px
Just finished a job for a client. Was really scared of doing faces for a while but now that I got out of my comfort zone I feel like they're actually pretty fun to work on. Wanna do some more in the future.
>>
File: lsdfhg.png (212KB, 620x607px) Image search: [Google]
lsdfhg.png
212KB, 620x607px
>>
>>538457

where do you get clients?
>>
>>538457
how the fuck you get clients? i assume it was made for free? sorry, but i dont imagine how someone would pay for something like this
>>
>>538441
>aren't there already good kits of it out there? Why go to the effort of 3D printing something you can buy?

So far all the existing kits and 3D models are based off the drawings in the Colonial Marines Technical Manual which are very different from the studio model and real vehicle.

I based this off the studio model and real vehicle.

As far as I know having parts intersecting aren't an issue as long as they are "watertight". An STL file only reads the outside surface of a model, so parts that stick inside are ignored.

I am going to separate it into some parts and have it printed in scale for 15mm models.
>>
File: Smug_191c79_5762907.jpg (20KB, 379x364px) Image search: [Google]
Smug_191c79_5762907.jpg
20KB, 379x364px
>>538464
$50 in the bank and a happy client m8. Nothing to be salty about.
>>
>>538472
isn't that a bit low? how many hours did you put into that?

if you don't want to raise it then you got to find a way to do things faster, like get the general head done in facegen and then sculpt on the exported OBJ
>>
>>538476
I got it done in close to five hours which is roughly $10 an hour. A bit above minimum wage. Considering I'm also doing it because it's something I enjoy and I'm learning and getting better from doing it I don't mind. I just use the cash to buy Steam games anyways.
>>
>>538477

Where do you offer your services from? Do you have a personal site or something else like a forum?
>>
File: file.png (99KB, 441x719px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
99KB, 441x719px
Fucking around with this. Trying to get a feel for making tech armor stuff. The design is pretty awful since I'm not using reference and typically work on organic models but I'm focusing more on getting a feeling for the techniques atm.
>>
>>538479
I get commissions from Fiverr. It's saturated in competition for the same jobs though, so you either have to be super good at what you do or charge an insanely cheap price for lots of work. I strike a balance somewhere in the middle myself. Not bad considering I'm earning pocket change for things I'd do anyways and building up a portfolio in the process.
>>
>>538482
Thats some smart thinking. Keep up the the good work.
>>
>>538483
Thanks friendo
>>
File: FB_IMG_1476668044739.jpg (18KB, 566x811px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1476668044739.jpg
18KB, 566x811px
>>538480
>>
File: 01 Witch Dress 4.jpg (108KB, 1000x1250px) Image search: [Google]
01 Witch Dress 4.jpg
108KB, 1000x1250px
Finished.
>>
>>538504
DA-tier / weeb trash at its finest.
>>
File: dkt.40.jpg (352KB, 726x1268px) Image search: [Google]
dkt.40.jpg
352KB, 726x1268px
Continuing this model, tried a render with different materials. Still have some modelisation to do, like the shoes which I'm not sure yet what do for their design. Should try making some rings too.
>>
File: DK r1.jpg (246KB, 632x889px) Image search: [Google]
DK r1.jpg
246KB, 632x889px
>>538522
Need to study properly polypainting next, began setting tattoos.
>>
File: untitled.png (539KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
untitled.png
539KB, 1920x1080px
Shin Godzilla 2016
I just finished the base mesh and a rig yesterday.
I'm just starting the sculpting. What do you think so far?
>>
File: indy_collar.jpg (99KB, 1300x1200px) Image search: [Google]
indy_collar.jpg
99KB, 1300x1200px
doing some fate of atlantis props for fun.
>>
File: Gondola.webm (147KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Gondola.webm
147KB, 1920x1080px
Not sure what I'm even doing.
Found this board a few days ago, pretty comfy.
Thoughts?

https://comfy.moe/qlirjt.png
>>
>>538532
>What do you think so far?
that you are punching above your weight
>>
File: faceless3.jpg (143KB, 1215x762px) Image search: [Google]
faceless3.jpg
143KB, 1215x762px
>>538121
>>537965

Have I improved?
>>
File: 01.jpg (816KB, 2500x1174px) Image search: [Google]
01.jpg
816KB, 2500x1174px
>>537627
>>
>>538548
superb
how many texture maps?
>>
>>538534
Oh man this takes me back. Nice work.
>>
>>538548
what a cute bus!
>>
>>538549
lots of. im doing this with substance painter and i am AMAZED on how fast and fun the process is. its pretty resource intensive though
>>
>>538554
you can always scale down res if its intended for games.

how long you been modeling?
>>
File: 1.jpg (383KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
383KB, 1920x1080px
doing a city :)
>>
File: govnego.png (2MB, 1656x1890px) Image search: [Google]
govnego.png
2MB, 1656x1890px
Trying to make realistic lego minifigure. What do you thing?
>>
>>538544
wtf is this. get some anatomy reference
>>
>>538532

Nice

>>538570

Awesome.
>>
>>538570
wow. amazing
>>
>>538574
>>538570
what software? what renderer? what shaders? very nice man
>>
>>538570
Spot on.
Nice work
>>
File: 0000-0239.webm (1MB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
0000-0239.webm
1MB, 720x1280px
My first try at modeling from a sketch. Any tips?
>>
>>538628
needs more anatomy
>>
>>538628
the chest, seems to wide. I Don't like the breasts. shoulders are to sharp. Fix the neck when you got a chance, because they're pinched all around. the butt needs a complete overhaul. and over all, I think her stomach/pelvis is to long. Probably other things. But this is just to be more clear than the last comment.
>>
>>538628
I quite like it as a stylised piece, but the lower backside has severe issues.

Is it from your own sketch and can you show that to us?
>>
>>538628

dat ass tho
>>
>>538523
Parts look a bit doughy but I really like this. What's it for/from?
>>
>>538570
Looks like fucking garbage

Just kidding. Good work, man
>>
>>538544
cant improve in days
you are trying to give in some structure to the forms, but you lak understanding of those forms

keep it , keeps experimentng and using a lot of references, make your self a ref folder of anatomy and creatures you find inspiring, visit artstation etc
>>
File: DKr facewip.jpg (223KB, 556x1000px) Image search: [Google]
DKr facewip.jpg
223KB, 556x1000px
>>538659
> Parts look a bit doughy

The knee parts you mean? Yeah, didn't work much on them, it's lacking details and sharpness. The character was originally created as a part of a comic project, but at the moment I'm modeling him to adapt a scene of that same project into a mini movie school work.
>>
File: herowipt.jpg (247KB, 1203x772px) Image search: [Google]
herowipt.jpg
247KB, 1203x772px
>>538523
Another model I just began working on also.
>>
>>538684
I-I like it o//o
>>
File: cap.png (217KB, 886x781px) Image search: [Google]
cap.png
217KB, 886x781px
crunching towards the last stretch
>>
File: starfire.jpg (427KB, 1600x975px) Image search: [Google]
starfire.jpg
427KB, 1600x975px
>>538639
Shouldn't have really said sketch. I (heavily) edited a model sheet from the teen titans. I was looking for a cartoon character to turn 3d and it was either her or DCAU Superman. They both looked like good models, but it turned out she required a ton of photoshopping to get everything lined up and usable.

>>538636
>Don't like the breasts
Me either. it took some time just to get them to not look like and elder god horror.

Butt is wip.

This is still work in progress and I'm learning as I go, but I got it to a not totally retarded phase and just want another set of eyes. I'm considering starting over with a better plan.
>>
>>538548
the wheels still cant turn kid
the fenders were only half of the problem
also there isnt enough weight over the front axle to require two wheels which is why nothing mass produced on earth has dually front wheels
>>
>>538684
would benis those fake tits
face looks a bit funny tho
>>
>>538695
Sure, if your goal is to have a low poly blob monster. Otherwise you've still at least got some mesh cleanup, UVing, texturing, and posing if not rigging You're at like 5% of what most would consider done.
>>
File: z3.jpg (65KB, 1486x912px) Image search: [Google]
z3.jpg
65KB, 1486x912px
Anything obviously wrong with the proportions ?
I am aware hands and feet look weird and I'll start working on them as soon as I subdivide her more.
>>
>>538666
I'm mainly talking about the belt. It could be fixed up pretty easily with the HPolish or trim dynamic brush though.

Really love the design. Feels like some weird fist of the north star spinoff. Keep up the good work my dude.
>>
File: RenderFinal.jpg (3MB, 2491x1061px) Image search: [Google]
RenderFinal.jpg
3MB, 2491x1061px
>>538703
im not engineering anything, just making it look cool, dude
>>
>>538742
you could make something look cool while also making some sense, like wheels that have enough room to turn

you pretty much told us the anatomy doesn't matter--it's your style
>>
>>538711
yeah I still have a lot to do, I'm finished with posing and rigging it because I'm a lazy fuck, it's just going to be some still model.

there's still some details I need to add too as well as the things you've mentioned

I'm not going to be too hard on myself until I finish it completely, then I'll look at what I need to improve on (this is my first model I've ever made)
>>
>>538743
i dont care about the rules
fuck da police nigga
>>
>>538747
More like you feel too lazy to rework on it.
>>
>>538748
Looks like someones envy
>>
>>538750
Wasn't this guy. I like your model, but the guy seems to have a point, you clearly aren't doing it because you don't feel like working any more on it which is still perfectly understandable.
>>
>>538752
op here. just to clear things out i wasnt >>538750
this guy, and wheels turning is a good point, however i gave thoughts into it. when you're modeling something like that it takes some time so there is a lot time to think things through. but i decided to go with double wheels because it really made the bus look dope
>>
>>538664
I know this won't come in days, I just wanted to know if the general direction was better

>>538571

I'm using some but it's kind of hard to see for myself what is wrong since I'm very new to organic modelling. Is it proportions, general positioning of structures? If you could point out I'd be glad.

One thing I feel is that I might be trying too hard to make a skinny creature but that is also muscular, and end up mixing both in an uncanny way.
>>
>>538753

Just my two cents, I have worked in a truck factory and I might offer some insights

Steering the front wheel will be a problem with this setup because the pivot is not between both wheels, but somewhere inside the inner wheel. This way the outer arc will be much wider than what you are considering. The fenders don't help too since they'd interfeer with the steering much sooner than if they weren't there. If you look for Ackherman angle you can find some references where this will be very clearly shown. This would make the bus drive like shit and put too much stress on the components.

About the fenders, they look cool but this is only used for safety and legal reasons, other than protecting the vehicle from dirt and eventual rocks. I don't think this will be a concern in this environment lol

My suggestion would be to make the front be a 6x2 like pic related. Add a very gross cut behind the front wheels and make it look like someone just tuck a bus and addaptec it on a truck chassis.

Don't get me wrong, it does look cool as fuck, but anyone who's into land vehicle like me and the other guys giving suggestions will notice this stuff on a second look and subtract "cool" points from it for not making much sense
>>
>>538775

My bad, forgot the image
>>
>>538739
Not a fan of the hip/pelvis area. I couldn't tell you exactly about them. Maybe look at a reference.
>>
File: Plug suit wip 4.jpg (82KB, 1000x1250px) Image search: [Google]
Plug suit wip 4.jpg
82KB, 1000x1250px
New outfit. Have to fix the weights on some of the hard surfaces.
>>
>>538794
I like your shit, are these rigged?
>>
>>538775
also if youd consider that it might steer with back wheels too maybe you'd find more sense in this
>>
File: shitface3.png (227KB, 975x915px) Image search: [Google]
shitface3.png
227KB, 975x915px
>>537541
>>537569
>>537614
>You have probably at least another 99 badly shaped faces inside of you, which must be purged out before you get to the good stuff.

98 and a half left...
>>
>>538816

That's the spirit bro, I have a handful of shitty stuff in myself too, gotta keep purging lol
>>
>>538121
Looks pretty good to me, though maybe the mouth is a little small.
>>
>>538819

I'm watching some anatomy videos and workind on adding teeth with IMM. Then I'll try sculpting the mouth around them. I had added the teeth before but I didn't separate in a different subtool and ended up making a mess when I dynameshed and that ruined the mouth
>>
>>538300
I think that the legs look better on the "after" but the chest looks better on the "before".

I'm not really into Warhammer, though, so this judgement is just based on looking at your renders and judging their aesthetics on their own merits.
>>
>>538803

Yes. They're clothes for this figure.

http://www.sharecg.com/v/84173/view/21/DAZ-Studio/Chibi-Figure-Lolo-Hai
>>
File: william shatner.jpg (52KB, 600x690px) Image search: [Google]
william shatner.jpg
52KB, 600x690px
>>538816
>>
>>538742
very sexy
textured with substance?
>>
File: ZBrush Document.png (3MB, 1120x840px) Image search: [Google]
ZBrush Document.png
3MB, 1120x840px
sculpting a random kid
>>
>>538850
ayy.
>>
File: herowipr1.jpg (330KB, 1641x844px) Image search: [Google]
herowipr1.jpg
330KB, 1641x844px
>>538684
starting to look more decent.
>>
>>538865
Fix the face. Everything else could slip by. Final product with fixed face would be sweet.
>>
File: herof.jpg (217KB, 607x500px) Image search: [Google]
herof.jpg
217KB, 607x500px
>>538867
Face is like I wanted it to be, reworked enough on it to tell I'll hardly get a better result.
>>
File: ROOF.jpg (1MB, 1600x1779px) Image search: [Google]
ROOF.jpg
1MB, 1600x1779px
>>538396
Done
>>
>>538872
you joking? how have you managed to fuck up on the post processing so hard? are you trolling? (for real)
>>
>>538869
I guess that's on your end then.
>>
I just cut a little trailer of a game I'm working on. What do you think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4rseN6XJrc
>>
>>538877
What could I do to make it better? For post I used a material render as a Photoshop overlay on the material override render above and then used a Topaz restyle filter on the two. I was really rushed so the mat render is 1/3rd resolution of the clay its overlaying, hence ugly concrete noise at top just to get it done in time. I guess topaz does make the render look really fake and filtered.
>>
>>538885
Interesting concept, looks like a lot of work for one guy (assuming you modeled everything yourself) but it suffers from the problem that you were only able to spend an hour making each prop, an hour animating each prop, (or some other low number) and even though the whole project took you 100 hours or whatever, each individual thing still says "a couple hours of work" to the viewer

Also there's floating rocks, you should probably use some normal maps to give your tree bark and rocks some shadows or if you want that faux-poly look then you shouldn't use the textures, the grass would benefit from some variation (or again make it even simpler / more faux-poly), the player model looks kinda bad (again it's like it's not simple enough to be faux poly, but it's not realistic enough to look good, and it doesn't have a unique art style of its own either)

So far 4/10, would not Kickstart, would give A+ if it was a high school project though
>>
File: LFBFHeader.jpg (162KB, 1911x520px) Image search: [Google]
LFBFHeader.jpg
162KB, 1911x520px
>>538890
Appreciate the feedback; I did model everything myself, but I'm definitely putting some asset packs to use (some textures, the bird flock, etc).

I'll definitely take some of those suggestions to heart; I'll add in some grass variation and increase the normals on the bark (they are on there, but they're apparently too soft).

I am a one man band; looking to keep polishing this thing and put it out for $6 or so, then make a mobile version. First "major" project; wanna get this one out of my system so I can have something to point to for future stuff. I'll keep ya'll updated; you're harsh motherfuckers, but that's more beneficial than an ego-stroke.
>>
>>538872
>>538886

The people are really badly shooped in (like inexcusably so), and I think somehow it's throwing off the scale of everything else even though it's meant to provide a context for scale.

Why a rainy / sprinklers-on-full-blast background? The shadows don't match the expected distortion from all that water on the windows (even if it's supposed to be sunny)

I feel like something's fucked up with the colors? Why is the section of wall on the bottom right a dark color while the wall on the left is a lighter color even though no shadow is being cast on the right most wall?

Also it's just a tremendously unappealing use of color all around, and that weird tile ceiling thing looks really bad (looks bad in the mesh too), wouldn't a sky light look much better? If it supposed to be solar panels, they're not very nice to look at (of course fucking steel beams and girders aren't nice to look at either).
>>
>>538891

That's cool, it's a big deal being able to say you've "shipped" a project (seen it all the way to completion and published it in some way). It's one of the things Valve (old Valve, not nu-Valve) really valued on a resume for people they hire (back when they used to actually make games instead of just making money).

You probably already know that your first couple games probably won't do well, and the one that you like the most may well be the one people care the least about (such is life as an artist), but just don't get into the habit of publishing game jam tier shit (but do go ahead and do game jam tier shit for learning and practice and feedback).

Also, if you thought I was being harsh, you're a fucking candy ass. By internet standards I'm being tremendously cordial with my critique to the point of almost faggotry. Good luck with everything, keep it up.
>>
>>538893
Yeah, it's definitely about getting it out the door. I'm tired of taking projects to halfway completion and then failing to complete them either to self-doubt, apathy, or other human bullshit.

>By internet standards I'm being tremendously cordial with my critique

This is true, you're being a straight up gentle-sir. But having a place like this is a good counter-balance to some of the pat-on-the-back forums.

Good luck with all your shit, I'm off to cook some food and self-congratulate myself some more.

>that fucking floating rock
I'll never be able to unsee that.
>>
>>538892
Thank you for the feedback
>>
>>538739
no pussy bone
shoulders too narrow, hips too wide
when a woman has same width shoulders nad hips shes already is out of shape, this here just looks weird
and by hips i mean her legs, since her hips are also too narrow
>>
>>538867
>>538869
I like the face, it might be the best part, well other than those weird lines around the lips
>>
>>538865
>>538869
I feel the eyes are my hugest problem. they seem to far from each other, I would try to bringing them closer about an inch closer. Or 2.
>>
>>538570
I don't believe this is a render. Too many little details that renders usually miss - fingerprints on the left side of torso and leg, very uneven edges, plastic seam line is too realistic, texture of the cape around the neck seems too real.

If this IS a render, please post setup and etc., I'd love to be proven wrong. Good job, in that case, but I'm very dubious.
>>
File: image.jpg (39KB, 703x489px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
39KB, 703x489px
Just got the hang of rigging. It's kinda annoying at first, and I still can't get the hang of bone constraints with multiple objects. It'd be nice to lock movement to a certain axis, but I'll manage.
>>
>>538961

I don't think moving the eyes closer together will be an improvement. As a general rule the space between the eyes should be the same as the width of one eye. Maybe just move the irises and see what that looks like.
>>
>>538961

I don't think moving the eyes closer together will be an improvement. As a general rule the space between the eyes should be the same as the width of one eye. Maybe just move the irises and see what that looks like.
>>
File: Monster (2).jpg (612KB, 1478x871px) Image search: [Google]
Monster (2).jpg
612KB, 1478x871px
First time I've ever worked in ZBrush, or any 3D Sculpting software. Was tasked with doing some kind of failed experiment for a group project for class, not quite sure where to take it now.
>>
File: MayaMonster.jpg (125KB, 1591x748px) Image search: [Google]
MayaMonster.jpg
125KB, 1591x748px
>>540048
Forgive me, I'm a dumbass. I'm not familiar with Maya. Essentially on importing to Maya from ZBrush using GoZ I end up with these black faces/distortions on my model, any idea how to fix them?
>>
>>540048

TETSUOOOOOO!
>>
File: peasantchan.png (234KB, 1920x1015px) Image search: [Google]
peasantchan.png
234KB, 1920x1015px
Finished sebastian leguesomething's tutorial on youtube so I figure I'm pretty much an expert now. "Finished" modeling and texturing this peasant, any tips on what I could improve or what I'll have problems with when animating? I added some more polys around the elbows, figure I'll need more around shoulders or knees or the hands maybe?
>>
>>540060

KENEDAAAAAAAAAA!!!
>>
>>540064
come back when you finished a darine lile tutorial
>>
>>540048
You should make igorrr album cover art
>>
>>540231

TETSUOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
>>
>>540292
KAAAAAOOOOORIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!
>>
I have a question.
For my character I'm thinking of doing eyebrows. But I have 2 options I'm thinking.
1 Would be a separate object that has a mesh deform and the second option would be the simple one and just put it on as a texture on my main object. What is the best option.
>>
>>540303

FRED FLINSTOOOOOOOOOOOOONE!!!!!!!!
>>
>>540317
depends on style, realism and your poly limits
go with one that better fits your model
>>
>>540243
Oh god
>>
>>540049
try Normals>Conform or Normals>Set To Face, they are probably polys with flipped normals, so they look black in the viewport. An easy way to tell is to enable Backface Culling in the Shading menu,- if they are flipped face normals the black areas will disappear and you will be able to see through the model.
Thread posts: 312
Thread images: 107

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.