[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Knife project on blender

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

I'm using the knife project on blender, and when I set my mesh to smooth shading, the plane looks horrible.
Any tips to fix this (besides using squareish flat faces)?
What causes this exactly?
>>
Shitty topology. Booleans will always do that.
>>
>>536600
So the ONLY solution is doing a retopo?
Can't blender calculate something smooth and okay looking at least
>>
>>536601
yes for first question
no for second question
>>
>>536602
ok thanks anon
>>
File: heart.jpg (475KB, 3013x562px) Image search: [Google]
heart.jpg
475KB, 3013x562px
An easy way to KINDA fix things like this is to add support edges around the cutout and then subdivide.
>>
>>536608
Ty so much! The support edges worked! Even without subdivision
>>
go to vertex data enable smooth shading and play with the numbers
>>
but why a heart?
>>
>>536612
Dunno, it was just a quick set up to show what was happening with other shapes as well
>>
>>536599
Edgesplit modifier -> fixed.
Or use autosmooth, but not all renderers support that.
>>
>>536620
>Edgesplit

That's not a good idea, if you want to be able to undo the support edges then use the Bevel modifier with a vertex group for just the heart edges

Auto smooth is also a fine option (use Mark Crease to control it finely)
>>
>>536618
CUTE
>>
>>536641
You can use remove duplicate vertices to remove the ones made by edge split, so why is it not a good idea?
>>
>>536689
because it adds polygons and it works in the same way auto-smooth does, so why use it?
>>
mark the edges as sharp
>>
>>536641
Never apply the edgesplit modifier, of course.
And autosmooth is better, but not supported by all (external) renderers.
>>
>>536600
>>536602
These are wrong

Your normals are fucked because that's how normals work... You have a 90 degree corner there, and smooth normals aren't going to handle that well. If you want an edge to be sharp, you need to mark it sharp. That essentially creates two separate normals.

That's what this:
>>536620
will do.

These are also wrong:
>>536641
>>536695

Edge-split is intended for exactly this scenario and it does not add polygons.

And this:
>>536896
Is good advice. The edge-split modifier will actually "split" the edge when applied, but there's no need to actually apply it.
>>
>>536930
One vertex can only store one normal.
By splitting the normals you are effectively creating two vertices at the same spot. Every engine will count it as two vertices.
Performance wise, a beveled edge is the same as a sharp edge with split normals.
>>
>>537203
No, because beveling also raises the face count by bridging the "split edge".
Correct me if I'm wrong.
>>
>>537236
Face count doesn't really matter in engine. They're are just connections between vertices after all.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.