[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Interchangeable clothes on a model

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

What is the best way to model clothes for a video game character for a RPG type, (where you are supposed to change your attire)?

How is the mesh supposed to be?

Do you make a naked body, and "dress" it with clothes over (layering the meshes) or do you separate parts (say a head, a torso, and legs) and remove the naked "torso" mesh to replace with a T-shirt mesh for example?
>>
>>534904
Marvelous Designer
>>
>>534904

Skyrim or fallout is the best education on this. Look at the models with this tool.

http://niftools.sourceforge.net/wiki/NifTools
>>
>>534904
You model the mesh naked with loops in tactical locations, then you have different versions of your naked mesh for different clothes.
Like say a head and arms only upper body for wearing a T-shirt, head and hands only version wearing a sweater, and so on and so forth.
>>
>>534904
For something as skintight and specific as your pic related you typically would make the skin shown part of the same mesh as the suit, so it can be shown to pinch along the cloth edges.
>>
There is no "best" way; you do whatever your technical director says. >>534939 is accurate in most cases.
>>
So if I understand correctly, no video game uses the first solution (dressing a naked body)? It always has to be broken in parts, right?

>>534913
Does Marvelous Designer only helps modeling the garments or does it give a solution for animation/ simulation as well?

>>534923
I will read more carefully later. But can you quickly explain what purpose serves the .nif format used in Skyrim?

>>534939
And how do you "stitch" these parts together once in the game to match perfectly once you add animation to the process?

>>534942
I don't have a technical director. I'm only a hobbyist...
>>
>>534943
Not breaking it into parts is inefficient poly usage.
Also the clipping would be horrendous unless your weighting is 100% accurate.

>how do you stitch parts together
code. Depends on the engine.

Look at how skyrim does it, like
>>534923
says.
>>
>>534904
>So if I understand correctly, no video game uses the first solution (dressing a naked body)? It always has to be broken in parts, right?

If you do that you'll end up with Z-fighting whenever the camera clipping plane can't decide which surface is nearest during rendering for snug fitting clothing items.
You see this artifact in games here and there all the time when a surface close to another surface starts flickering.
You also end up with penetration issues around joints during animation that are difficult to solve for, as well as wasting resources on computing polygons that are hidden.

>And how do you "stitch" these parts together once in the game to match perfectly once you add animation to the process?

You don't stitch them together, they're several different meshes that are sharing the same skeleton.
How the meshes are actually loaded onto the skeleton is up to your game programmers.
>>
>>534923

GTA V is a complete gore when it comes to their model organization.

There's:
- Model with entire torso and arms
- Model with no torso but has arms
- Model with no torso and 1/4 of arms
- Model with no torso and 2/4 of arms
- Model with no torso and 3/4 of arms
- Model with lower torso and 1/4 - 4/4 of arms

And it just keeps going, I think there's 12 variations for each hand/gloves variations. This not mentioning all the varying skin colours.
Absolute madness.
>>
>>534951
skin color is typically just a shader setting. Like say you create a texture of a white person, tint that texture by a value of 'x' and it becomes asian, tint it with 'y' and it becomes latino and so on.
>>
>>534944
>Depends on the engine.
That would be done with Unity.

>>534948
>You don't stitch them together, they're several different meshes that are sharing the same skeleton.
When I said stitch, what I meant was fitting the body parts perfectly in relation to each other (as if it was a whole mesh, without provoking holes). I can't conceive that the animation won't mess that up...

>>534951
Do you have any links talking about that? Seems interesting...

>>534952
Substance Designer can handle that pretty well with parametric variables that you can control in game via code
>>
File: Test.jpg (609KB, 2545x1064px) Image search: [Google]
Test.jpg
609KB, 2545x1064px
I decided to practice a little. So here is a MakeHuman Model split in parts, with 2 different shirts to be switchable (basically a copy of his torso). Not trying to focus on modeling too much. Next I will try to rig it.

Is this how I should begin? (See the parts detached in the outliner)

On a side note, it broke the continuity of my polys' normals. Is this, well, normal?
>>
>>535010

If you have GTA V, install some trainer and open up the MP models
>>
>>535026
Could you bake a normal map from the totally stitched together model and then apply that map to the broken up mesh?

I'm also trying to better understand this for use in my game.
>>
>>534904
remove body parts.
Gloves stay in the place of hands, etc.
The hard part is to make the nude version look seamless in the realtime after all the subdivisions, that´s a little bit tricky.
Refer to the Elder scrolls series for great examples of there.
>>
>>534904

Depends if the character is going to be changing clothing a lot. If not then just model the figure with the clothing as part of the mesh.

If the character is going to be changing clothing a lot then make a naked version of the character with material zone for where all the clothing is going to be expanding outward from smallest to largest.

You have a zone for a tube top, then a shoulder straps zone that makes it a tank top, then a shoulders zone that makes it a t-shirt, then a zone up to the wrists for long sleeves.

With the bottom you make a panty zone, then expand it down the though to shorts then to the ankle for pants.

This way when you put the clothing over top of the character you can turn off the zones so you don't have to worry about body pixels poking through the clothing when the figure moves.

A lot of the time tight fitting clothes are just painted right on the character model with greebles and bits of armour stuck on as separate meshes.
>>
>>534943
>Does Marvelous Designer only helps modeling the garments or does it give a solution for animation/ simulation as well?

It just models the garments. I don't know how good their current versions topology is but if it's no better than v4 you're going to need to retopo the mesh if you hope to have it animate nicely.
>>
>>535026
there are gonna be seams
>>
File: nrm map.png (94KB, 1024x1584px) Image search: [Google]
nrm map.png
94KB, 1024x1584px
>>535210
I thought it was a good idea, so I tried it (pic related):

I baked a full body to another. There was no low poly or high poly mesh, so it gave me the same color everywhere (128,128,255), which is logical in tangent space. I then applied it to the separated body parts, but at the end it didn't remove the seams...

>>535230
What do you mean by "zone"?
>>
>>534952
And tint it with "z" and it becomes a nigger
>>
>>535287

Material zone is a section of the object that can have a different surface material assigned to it than the rest of the object.
>>
>>534904
I'd say it depends on the situation, OP, you can texture swap if the clothes are tight. if it's like armor or has an aparatus, you can trigger visibility and swap meshes, I normally wouldn't recommend putting naked body under clothes because they may clip through. Although some shaders can read the normal info and push the mesh toward the camera to avoid the clipping.
>>
File: wew.jpg (317KB, 1920x1048px) Image search: [Google]
wew.jpg
317KB, 1920x1048px
>>535026
>>
>>534904
>for rpg type
>posts tekken
>>
>>535342
classy variant though
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.