[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Blender better than MODO at this point?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

File: maxresdefault (1).jpg (57KB, 1466x866px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (1).jpg
57KB, 1466x866px
Is Blender better than MODO at this point?
>>
yeah
>>
>>534901
Does anyone know how well Modo handles big scenes (anything above 20 Mio. Polys or so)?
Because that's one of the few things that really bugs me about Blender.
>>
>>534910
Yes
>>
File: CcmU4ZyWoAAqG1_.jpg (32KB, 384x411px) Image search: [Google]
CcmU4ZyWoAAqG1_.jpg
32KB, 384x411px
>>534910

depends on your machine. my can swallow 80 mil. on blender and only 500 000 on modo. i use modo mostl for render shit. its simplier to asigne the materials.
>>
>>534901
No
>>
Blender has more features but the UI slows me down compared to modo. Modo render is more reliable than cycles.

I would probably use blender more if it wasn't for the UI.
>>
>>535093
Why can't developers just update the UI?
>>
>>535096
It's the entire concept behind the blender UI that is the problem. It only works if you use blender full time and have all the commands memorized.

In modo, lightwave or Maya if I forget where some function is I can usually find it quickly in the menu. The other issue is if you are making concept models slowly you can still work with just the mouse and relax. I can lay back in my chair and model while drinking coffee in Modo and still get plenty done, blender needs keyboard + mouse for almost everything.
>>
>>535103
>blender needs keyboard + mouse for almost everything.
not true.
it just speeds up ur modeling 3x
>>
>>535096
They are going to. I can't recall if the plan was still to update it incrementally or if they've moved on from that idea and decided to do a complete UI update release, but they are doing it.
>>
>>535093
google it , press space
>>
>>534901
What really bugs me in Maya and Modo is the transforms commands. They feel so unnecessarily clunky after using Blender's transform system, it feels too slow using the grab-to-transform approach.
>>
I'm starting to learn, just for hobby.
Is Blender good enough or should i go with Maya?
>>
>>535291
Student licence with Maya, if you quit eh, if you stay you're career ready
>>
>>535291
As a Blenderfag I have to say you should try all three, starting with Maya.

You might end up liking Blender or Modo or Max or whatever better, but time spent on any of them is valuable and you'll be able to translate things from one to the other.
Once you learn the fundamentals (how to box model, what a normal map is, what specularity is, how lighting works, how texturing works, etc etc etc) you'll be able to watch how someone did something in Maya and adapt it to Blender or Max or whatever
>>
>>535105
Blender has many functions that simply are not present in visible menus without required keyboard interaction. If you don't use the keyboard, you will not get very far whatsoever.
>>
>>535188
After a while you'll understand how imprecise blenders tools are
>>
>>535379
>literally able to type in exact values
>imprecise
>>
>>534946
>>535089

Please fuck off.
>>
>>535638
Maybe
>>
>>535640
I don't know
>>
>>535695
Can you repeat the question?
>>
>>535395
>all of the inputs are invisible unless you have a fuck load of ugly tabs
Maya is better at organization
>>
>>535737
>goalposts
We were talking about precision.
>>
>>535750
equal point for precision, blender loses a point for terrible UI, Maya wins
>>
>>535751
>gets btfo with previous claim
>shifts goalposts about how better Maya's UI is
>>
>>534901
Modo is a good modeler, better than Blender, but the rest is so and so.
You don't want to animate characters in Modo, nor do you want to play with Million+ poly models.
Blender is the better package (as a whole) but Modo is still better in some disciplines.
Maya as package owns them both.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.