[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I achieve this effect?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5

File: image.jpg (110KB, 640x632px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
110KB, 640x632px
Greetings, the attached image is an artist I have always followed and loved, she has recently started using this really wild rainbow effect on her figures and I am very curious how it is done. I use DAZ/blender, primarily, and in blender I know how to make reflective/metallic colors but nothing with this pastel rainbow effect. Any suggestions would be great; normally I would look up a guide online but I have nonidea what to even search for this.
>>
Just try mapping a gradient without if mapping. JUST generated coordinates
>>
>>531701
*UV mapping
Sorry, I was on my phone.
>>
>>531704
Thats cool so am I, hence why the image I posted was so small and shit. Thanks for the tip though I will give that a try!
>>
>>531705
did it work?
>>
>>531700
That is a fairly simple effect.
Use a fresnel falloff for your basecolor/diffuse/albedo and instead of a black-white gradient, you apply a rainbow colored gradient to it.
>>
>>531700
Ikinda started 3d because of her ))
she's godlike
use Cinema 4d )))
>>
its just a reflection map bro
>>
>>531700
A custom matcap could be enough to achieve this.
>>
File: view_normal.png (587KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
view_normal.png
587KB, 1024x576px
It's just a visualization of the World Normal.
>>
>>533525
No it isn't you retard.
>>
good guess but doesn't look like normals. 3d texture volumes can definitely b used 2 acieve this effect
>>
>>532120
This is how I would do it.
>>
>>533526
Yes it is you dummy :-)
>>
>>533573
>>533525
>>533653
Nope. It's not a good guess. The idea of a visualization of the world normal is a bijection between the set of normal vectors and the set of normal colors. It's clear that there are places in that picture where the same normal vector produces different colors.

>>532120
Close in idea space, but I don't think it's this either. Fresnel fallof isn't necessarily tied to the camera, this looks like it is.

One way to achieve this effect would be to render a grayscale image of the difference between the surface/camera normals and then apply a color map to a gradient. That would be my choice when doing an effect like this as it leaves you with a lot of creative control over the final picture.

I think you could also do it pretty easily with a reflection shader and a rainbow environment map.
>>
>>533665
man I've done it, I even posted my instagram posts that are kinda same style, Cinema 4d's fresnel and also gradient have options to tie to either camera, world or object, and Cinema 4d is quite amazing for things like this ...
it rewards you so easily, without much struggle to make simple things like this...
>>
>>531700
Looks as if a shitty 80's video effect.
>>
>>533665
Too many words :/ not enough 3d
>>
>>531700
Matcaps? It looks like matcaps and you can just google "Rainbow matcap" and figure out how to use matcaps in the renders of your models. If you'd like to use ONLY matcaps, try blender internal. It's way easy to set up.
>>
Fresnel that shit! Then use a color ramp to set the colors (duh)
>>
>>533665
>Fresnel fallof isn't necessarily tied to the camera
It is, Fresnel falloff is the dot product of camera view vector and surface normal.
>>
Well in maya you can use the sampler info node to output normal angle to camera and have that drive a ramp
>>
File: lel.png (90KB, 1164x670px) Image search: [Google]
lel.png
90KB, 1164x670px
>>533974
internal is faster for stuff like this
>>
>>534103
arnold has fucking fresnel, now
>>
>>534103
Maybe but I've never used it. I also dont know if you can add a glossy shader on top for the reflectionsm (wich I didn't do)
>>
>>533974
>>534103
>internal is faster for stuff like this

I generally agree for stylized stuff, but in this particular case the Cycles material is emissive/shadeless, so you can literally render it with 1 sample

A lot of people don't give Blender Internal the credit it's due:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pN_Tla6T8cU
>>
>>534470
Looks like a lower yield renderman
>>
File: IMG-20160905-WA0007.jpg (82KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20160905-WA0007.jpg
82KB, 960x540px
>>531700
>>532120
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.