[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Typical Entry Level Pay

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: waallpop.jpg (206KB, 2560x1600px) Image search: [Google]
waallpop.jpg
206KB, 2560x1600px
So I'm at my first job which I was initially told was a internship paid via "stipend". Now however I have taken a "one month contract" that my studio had offered at 16 an hour. So really I think they were initially after an intern, but got a higher workload and decided to hire a junior artist.

As it is getting close to the end of the first month, I asked if I could expect to work there longer, to which I got the reply, "yea you can expect to have work here for at least 5-6 months"

What I'm wondering is, should I try and negotiate a raise or is this pretty typical in terms of "paying your dues" in the industry? I'm basically a "jack of all trades 3D artist, who takes a lot of shit done by other artists and puts it together and does rigging and generally whatever needs to be done."

It's a really small studio, and they outsource work from India. So they really like to keep things quick and cheap as there work is generally not something that goes on public broadcast.

I'm glad to just have work for the next five months, so I can look elsewhere for a job in that time, but the pay is pretty, meh. I know people starting at larger studios for 30 an hour.

Any employed fags on here?
>>
16 seems good for a start, like you said its not a big studio.
>>
>>530490

It would be nice if you gave some more info.

- 16 what? Dollar, euro, other?
- I assume the 16 per hour is gross. Do you know how much you have left after taxes? And how many hours per week do you work?
- where are you located? Which country? Which city?
>>
>>530490
>I'm a jack of all trades 3D artist

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAA
>>
>>530490

You already answered your own questions: Your pay is low because you're starting out and you're working for a shit studio, people working at better studios starting out get paid more (they had connections you didn't), and you should be using this time to learn whatever you can from the people who are better than you at the studio AND be looking for a new job at another studio

I wouldn't be surprised if they string you along after the 6 months but by then you should have found a better gig at a better studio by then
>>
Lol i just posted a new thread along the same lines as OP. Only i've been worming at the same studio for 3 years now and I'm still only making $15 an hour. I guess i can give some insight here... yes, you are paying your dues and this is a fantastic time to milk the opportunity for all it's worth and learn as much as you possibly can, but don't be a dipshit like me and stick around forever. Work on your portfolio all the fucking time and blast your reel out and get the fuck out of there as soon as a better opportunity comes, whether better means more pay or the opportunity to work with more established artists.
>>
>>530515
16 rupees you retard
>>
>>530517

what is a 3D generalist for $500? you fucking plebeian
>>
>>530649
This. If you had just had better connections you could be making 30$ an hour too OP.

I know someone who sits at a fucking chair all day watching anime and cartoons as a guard dog making 23$ an hour. He got the job by being friends with the manager.
>>
>>530490
>>>know people starting at larger studios for 30 an hour.
nope, this is bullshit. Not starting. 15-20 usd is entry payment, 30 is mid-artist pay. Dont over-valuate yourself, it is not bad pay.
Work for 4-6 month, get better at what you do. NEVER LIMIT YOURSELF TO WHAT YOU DO IN JOB - most of the time you'll be doing boring shit that isn't even acceptable for portfolio - sorry, you need to spend some time on your own to get better - then switch companies.
>>
>>532352
Do you work in Hyrule?
>>
>>530490
I'm at my first CG job (in California) and my starting pay is 22/hr if that helps. But it's not extremely small, more mid-size. I'd just stay with the job for a while while improving and looking for somewhere where you're better paid.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.