[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fuck weightpainting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: FuckWeightPainting.jpg (517KB, 1857x4491px) Image search: [Google]
FuckWeightPainting.jpg
517KB, 1857x4491px
I've spent too much time trying to get this stupid shoulder to do what is suposed to do, and this is as close as I've got.

What am I doing wrong? This shit is so stupid and time consuming and there seems to be no better tool than a fucking brush for painting. How does one achieve better results?
>>
>>528440
I use Geodesic Voxel bind method which does a lot of proper weight painting for the most part. But for painting itself, bend the arm in extremes, and then paint the influences so it looks natural. If you paint straight out you can't tell how influences will work when actually animating.

I also paint in black to white in terms of values, it's easier to understand than a heatmap.
>>
>>528448
This.
It might help, I'm not sure if you can see the changes when you paint in poses, but I'll try.

Also, does someone knows how to reset the pose to original position? I usually pose and then Ctr+Z
>>
>>528440
I use maya, but what I learned from a rigger long ago is to set some keys on the joint(s) so that you can scrub through the timeline and see how it deforms. It's easier to see what's going on rather than painting, moving the pose and seeing a problem, going back to paint, repeat... also this solves your "reset pose to original position" question: you key the joint.

shoulders are notoriously difficult though, it's ok. you can also look into other methods like helper joints, binding to geo/muscles as well.

also, your shoulder joint looks a bit too far out, this is why when it bends to the side the shoulder mass seems to move outwards. it's also why when you lift it, it looks like it's bending from the wrong location (cause it is). also, note that it's impossible to rotate up your arm past a certain angle without rotating the clavicle up as well - so the shoulder shouldn't look normal that high up unless you rotate the clavicle up as well.
>>
Yep, those shoulders are tricky.
>>
>>528440
first, identify which verts you don't want that bone to influence, then hide them with H.
>>
>>528440

Quiet right? Those models are shite, I'm surprised any of them animated properly.
>>
>>528440
The joint itself needs to be moved closer to the body. The x position should be perpendicular to the peak of the shoulder curve. Your Y position and weights actually look fine
>>
>>528449
in blender, you hit a to select all bones (or individual if you want) and use alt + g, alt + r, alt +s for resetting bone position, rotation, and scale respectively.
>>
Weight painting is fucking brutal. The only thing I've picked up that seems to help a bit is to use tons of dummy bones in problematic places for the purpose of auto-weighting areas you want or don't want to be influenced by a parented bone.

God I fucking hate weight painting so fucking much...
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.