[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why would someone not use zbrush? I'm new to 3d and I just

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

File: 1417900779915.png (146KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1417900779915.png
146KB, 500x375px
Why would someone not use zbrush?
I'm new to 3d and I just can't see why you'd model something any other way. Why do I see people on here making these low poly models slaving away over each vertex, when it could be done so much more naturally on zbrush?
>>
>>527743
Because Zbrush topology is a web of tris and if you plan to rig and texture your model you'll have to retopo. You can create a good base model, import to Zbrush, use Zbrush retopo tools or import back to modeling package. Most workflows require at least Zbrush + modeling package.
>>
For topology control, hard surfaces, low poly, time constraint, personnal workflow.
Why you would use ZBrush for modelling a cat in background ?
>>
>>527743
>I'm new to 3d
>>
>>527743
If you're doing anything real-time you need better topo than what Z Brush will give you. I think you need to figure out more about a normal 3d art workflow.
>>
>>527743
You wouldn't. everyone in this thread is massively confused. Zbrush is the only program you need if you know what you're doing
>>
>>527789
>if you know what you're doing

Key thing here
>>
>>527789
This is misinformation, there are numerous circumstances in which someone would use anything BUT z brush. Most mobile / low end hardware game assets won't even see a normal map.
>>
>>527788
Where would I go to learn more about workflow?
>>
>>527743
> why doesn't everyone think like me

why do you think this is even remotely a good way to start anything other than an argument
>>
if you are not a character artist i suggest to not even start with zbrush

the more things you can do in 1 program the less problems you will run into
>>
>>527743
If you are not a character artist why would you use z brush? If your doing architecture, interior objects, other static environment things.

Why on earth would you z brush those
>>
>>527807
there are character artists that use maya and blender as well, zbrush is more for high end character modeling.
personally i like it better when i can do everything at 1 place
>>
>>527803
>1 program = better
Explain please.
I think that many highly task specialized programs would be better despite the extra time you need to import export.
>>
>>528396
because zbrush is such huge program.
if you are an environment artist you can sculpt things in 3ds/blender as well like trees and weapons. but if you are more geared towards character creation your main workflow should be in zbrush
im not saying don't learn same program, im just saying know what you are aiming for before picking up another program
>>
>>528398
I agree, I thought you were saying it was bad to use more than one program in any case
>>
I personally use Zbrush for organic modeling which includes characters, rocks, trees, landscapes, and other things that don't have such a precise machine made look to them (even though it's entirely possible to do that in Zbrush). Hard surface modeling I will do in a traditional Modeling software such as 3ds Max or Maya because those allow very precise placement of vertices and have some sexy modifiers that help with modeling robotic/machine made type models.

For low poly characters, I will use Zbrush to create the high-res/concept version, then export the model to a quick re-topology software known as "Topogun" where I will then quickly lay out the low poly topology and then bake all of the details I want from the original high poly (color, ambient occlusion, even normals on occasion) to the animation/game engine friendly low poly model.

Then I import that new model to max/maya to rig and animate.
>>
>>527743
Because 3d coat is less a pain in the ass UI wise.
>>
File: 2.png (366KB, 1964x1314px) Image search: [Google]
2.png
366KB, 1964x1314px
"What is the ZModel Brush, Reagis?"

ZBrush's Maya "Edge loop/ extrusion/Bevel tool set" (now w/ QMesh!)

I cant believe, no one has brought this up...Maybe because its new w/ 4R7?

Posting a pic of a project I was doing in Maya. I really took the time to understand Maya and its "quirk", and have a solid understanding of Perspective (MPs, DVPs, Referencing scale, etc...)

Zbrush add/remove geometry onto the canvas quickly, and allows you to worry about topology later. The work flow and documentation are solid as well.

PS Captcha made me want pancakes...
>>
>>528903
Also, I've been modelling for about a month now. I know that model is shit. I just wanted to give a bit of credence to what I was trying to say. If you really look at Zbrush, you'll find that it provides more or less the same functionality as Maya. (As someone who has spent more time researching the softwares' functionality than actually sculpting.)

DAMAGE CONTROL
>>
>>528903

I'm regretting buying modo Indie with all the modeling I do in zbrush now. If zbrush 5 which might be coming out in September has proper perspective it would kill off 3d apps.
>>
>>528913
lol
>>
So glad I dodged modo altogether. When people were Max'n in DOS it seemed like a great idea... seriously... thank god.
>>
What I'd like to know is this : Let's say I had a pirate copy of zbrush and I'd like to post some of my zartworks on a site like deviant. Would i get into ztrouble ?

Eg. We noticed you made some zartwork with our software but we can't seem to find your registration anywhere.
>>
>>527743
Terrible UI and no 3d mouse support
I unironically use Blender for sculpting because mudbox has no proper 3d mouse support either
>>
>>530801
no
>>
>>527798
Standard beginner's 3D tutorials.
>>
>>527743
People dont know how to do it, I found a great tutorial on how to retopologize your work in zbrush in only a few clicks, literally saves hours
>>
I thought the same thing when I first started out with 3D. Though my hardware couldnt handle Zbrush or mudbox at the time I had to start with traditional modeling.

6 years later I do everything minus retopo in Zbrush
>>
>>528913
>modeling
>zbrush
pick one

You sculpt in ZBrush
You model in Maya, 3DS Max, etc...
>>
File: alien fedora vape.jpg (29KB, 543x533px) Image search: [Google]
alien fedora vape.jpg
29KB, 543x533px
>>531708
>sculpting isn't a form of modelling
>>
>>531709
It is in most fields, but not for a 3D artist if you ever set foot in a classroom. Sculpting is forming a pre-existing model, while modeling is creating the model from scratch, this includes among other things taking into account the topology which sculpting does not. But yes, you are quite correct that it is in the same ballpark, it is rarely seen as such by professionals.

While you can pseudo-model in ZBrush it is not made for such a practice and will probably never be used as such by anyone who wants an effective pipeline. And by effective I mean both in time and quality.

Show me one gamedeveloper that makes their models exclusively in ZBrush and I will show you a completely fucked workflow.

8/10 made me respond
>>
>>527743
>new
Spend a few years with it and if you have a decent brain you'll figure it out. Hundreds of thousands of artists making a unanimous technical choice probably has a really good reason.
>>
File: tim face.jpg (10KB, 247x247px) Image search: [Google]
tim face.jpg
10KB, 247x247px
>>531741
>Sculpting is forming a pre-existing model, while modeling is creating the model from scratch
Pulling some random personal definitions out of your ass I see. Sculpting is a form of modelling, whether you start from a sphere or a basemesh.
>>
>>527789
Daily reminder that there are people browsing this board who think good hard surface can and/or should be done in ZBrush.
>>
>>531919
i was pretty disappointed with the zmodeler tools.
i was kind of excited when they were released, but after using them, i just couldn't find a sweet spot for them, everything is either easier to dynamesh rough>retop, or just model in maya.

shit like this just seems completely retarded and autistic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUr6_5Udd9A
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.