[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

low poly oriented

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

File: Wiresoriginal.png (288KB, 700x900px) Image search: [Google]
Wiresoriginal.png
288KB, 700x900px
Considering you need to do a low poly, let's say almost 1000 polys, is it convinient to do high poly first and then project detail? Cause you know, maybe it would be quicker to just do the low poly and directly texture it, adding the detail on texture painting intead of projecting? what do you think?
>pic related, just this one is 336 polys, I guess no normals used, just plain texturing, and it looks quite good
>>
>>526597
>336 polys
I literally counted < 100 polygons on that car mate
>>
>>526598

I think he means triangles. Yes op high poly first then retopo.
>>
>>526598
>>526599
yeah my bad I meant tris
So even with very low poly objects? Is it better?
>>
>>526601
I mean, what's the purpose of modeling a complete high poly object if I have a strict limit for my low poly and I will need to remove 99.9% of details
>>
>>526602
why such a limit? Phones are literally running this now and every year phones get more powerful. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnKu7MLB7vQ
>>
unless you are making mobile games exclusively there is no point to limit yourself like that

i have a 4 year old phone that can run max payne on high fps.
id imagine people that exclusively do lowpoly is because they have great 2D skills and like the handpainted style in the first place
>>
>>526603
>>526607
Why are you saying useless shit instead of staying in-topic and answering questions?
who gives a fuck why he has a limit, he just has it
>>
>>526610
i thought its pretty obvious that projecting detail from normal maps is usually done to capture more realism and handpainting is more prone to stylized stuff

>what is quicker
depending on what you practice more. it still takes weeks to finish a high end character on both spectrum
>>
>>526610
>useless shit
>literally every phone coming out is far more powerful than his example spec

pick one
>>
>>526597
that car had no high poly version. when something is below 1000 polys there is no need of creating a high poly version. unless you are batshit crazy/masochist.
>>
>>526613
>pick one
you only say that when you have two mutually exclusives, newfag.
>>
>>527235
This

Also depends on the look you are going for. If you are creating something like World of Warcaft models, there is absolutely no need for a highpoly model since all of the details are painted on with the texture.

At least I highly doubt they make highpoly models of their in-game objects.

In the end it's something you have to get a feel for yourself, and know even before you start how you should approach a model to make it look the best.
>>
>>527242
nowadays they do. at the begginning they did not. They also had to remake all the old shit with normal maps, but they did not use high poly to bake maps THEY FUCKING PAINTED THE NORMAL MAPS BY HAND. i saw this girl from polycount that was doing this job years ago posting the process there.
>>
>>526597
S14? Is this for Stuner or something?
>>
>>527292
not him
s14 has been in s-tuner for over 2 years now
>>
>>527314
People still make new aero pieces for the game though
>>
>>526597
Idealy yes; you should create a full poly model (usally through sculpting) first before creating one that were optimized for the desired platform to bake onto.

But that depends on the desired artstyle.
>>
>>527253
Texture baking and normal maps arrived at the same time more or less. While people have always painted normals by hand it's always been a deliberate option to do so, not something you where forced to do by any technical limitation.
>>
>>527475
>idealy
i don't know about you but sculpting and baking a car takes alot of time in sense of production
>>
>>527482
To realize why you would ever wanna do a normal map by hand it's like this: You can make your diffuse map first.
This way you can be using any image sources, image editing tools and painting techniques. Not having to worry about matching any already existing surface.

This free's up your creativity and massivly boost production times when making scores of props, clothing etc for games.
The result wont be as polished and stellar as if you did highpoly sculpt bakes for everything, but in a production environment you simply don't have
time an tallent to make every piece of graphics a fine-arts tier 'hero piece' of a model.
>>
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.