[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Multi-button Mouse

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5

File: razer-naga-2014-right-03.png (279KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
razer-naga-2014-right-03.png
279KB, 800x600px
I feel I must alert you folks to the beauty that is working on CAD and other 3D (in fact any editing software), with an MMO-type mouse like this one. There are quite a few out there but I've only tried this one and it's fucking great. I'm using it with Revit and have all 12 side buttons assigned to various commands. You can make different configurations for each program and then within each program you can make different configurations for that particular program. So basically even if you run out of buttons you can do that or if you don't want to have to go to open Synapse to cycle configurations, you can just assign new shortcuts in your program (e.g "ctrl+ <the shortcut you've applied to button 1>") so effectively you have unlimited combinations and basically your memory is the only thing that limits how many shortcuts you can use. It took me 3-4 days to memorise what I assigned to each button but now it's become second nature, to the point where I get annoyed when I have to use a normal mouse.

tl;dr MMO mice for 3D software fucking rule
>>
>>525703
Apologies for the terrible writing-style, I'm a tired mofo.
>>
>>525703

1. you don't need it anyway
2. what will you do when you are in a studio with no multi button mouse?

if you are a hobbyist use whatever the fuck you like, use toaster if it increases your workflow. if you have ambition/doing 3d as work, use what the industry uses

not rocket science.
>>
>>525748
not OP
1. you don't need a Latte Macciato, a blowjob and a massage either, but its still good to have it.
2. bring / buy / demand a proper mouse
>>
>>525749

>junior artist
>demanding Razerâ„¢ MMO gaming mouse
>while senior artists using standard 3 button mice

i kekked out loud m8.
feel free to refute my point, im hiding this thread anyway
>>
>>525754

He named three options, you only addressed one. I doubt anyone would have a problem if a junior artist brought in his own mouse.
>>
>>525754
As if there is any company hiring serious artists and then cripple them by denying them the input devices they are comfortable with to work their magic. Get real anon.
>>
>>525754
Always nice to watch pc ppl cry
>>
>>525748
>>525754
>>525761
Well, I'm a student (architecture) and I have my own mouse so I'm not going to demand anything from anyone just bring my mouse along when I go somewhere. Besides, getting faster at using this isn't going to make me slower at using the old method.

Also CAD professionals don't just use 3-button mice. 3D Conexxion's mouse has way more buttons than that and is used in conjunction with a control pod thing for the left hand but it costs and obscene amount of money and so do digitizers. Another reason that pros don't use them is that they look unprofessional as fuck since they appear to be made by ricers but that's hardly a serious reason.
>>
>>525754
you think a supervisor is going to autistically tell you

"Hey! Get rid of that thing! Its our way or the highway buster!"

You are retarded. I understand if your some gamer or dickhead you may have preferences to certain nerd mouses or whatever, but having extra buttons on the side really save time. In a day I will use sketchup, corel, unreal, 3ds max, draftsight and sometimes maya.

Many of these have weirdly different ways to navigate and its a huge fucking time saver to have all the general stuff like moving around a scene, material picking, scale/rotate/move, measurements on the same mouse thing.

Immense help.

If you are too autistic to understand the advantages you probably will never get far inthe industry anyway.
>>
>>525765
Exactly! I mean the fact that you can have different key mappings is genius, it's not even just CAD/3D software, Photoshop/Illustrator are perfect on it too. Hell, I even have a Firefox mapping for when I'm shit-posting (close tab, undo close tab, reload tab etc.). By my own experience it takes about half the amount of time do each command which certainly adds up if you take those seconds/milliseconds and add them over the course of a day.

What mouse are you using?
>>
>>525766
im actually using the same naga from OPs pic lol
>>
File: synapse.png (325KB, 1349x940px) Image search: [Google]
synapse.png
325KB, 1349x940px
>>525770
I like it a lot, the shape is excellent too. The only two complaints I have is that it feels slightly flimsy (I read in the amazon comments that they used to be sturdier-built) and that the left-and-right click buttons are really light to the touch so they're perfect for really fast repeat clicking in gaming but for CAD I prefer a more reassuring, "chunky" click if that makes sense. Minor issues really. Pic is my RVT configuration.
>>
>>525703

Not using a Wacom with a radial menu for unlimited shortcuts and function names popup on screen so you don't have to memorize what you set the buttons to.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (111KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
111KB, 1920x1080px
>>525785
I tried using a tablet (H610 pro) and I hated it. I've still got it in the cupboard so I could give it another go at some point, but to be honest I'd rather just save money until I can afford to buy one of the display tablets like pic-related. I found looking at the screen rather than my hand (which is how you draw normally) infuriatingly frustrating and it was also quite slow.

Do you just use it for the short-cuts or actually draw on it too?
>>
>>525796
Not the person you replied to, but that disconnect you mention between hand and sight when drawing is essentially a non issue. I've been working with tablets for about 10 years and I don't really remember how it was like at the beginning, but if I had struggled for long I think I probably would. It's completely natural once you're used to it. It's similar to learning how to use a keyboard or ride on a bike. Once you're used to it there are some good advantages. Your hand is out of the way instead of being on top of your drawing. Your posture is much better since you're looking at your monitor. With a cintiq you'll either hunch over it or draw with your arm lifted up. That's fine if you draw from your shoulder and elbow, but it's not great for wrist drawing.

What I'm trying to say is that a cintiq is not a simple straight up upgrade. There's a high degree of personal preference here, so it's a matter of trying both. and in the case of the traditional tablet you also need to give it a fair chance and get used to how it works, because a lot of people actually prefer it once they master it.
>>
>>525846
Has it affected your skills at drawing properly? I know this sounds like a stupid question. Do you remember "getting lost"? I kept thinking my nib was somewhere else to where it was (i.e I kept getting lost on my tablet).
>>
>>525796
Bro it's getting used to. I hated my tablet when i first started too.
Not saying I use it for everything, I still mostly use my mouse but for drawing it's certainly worth pushing through.
>>
>>525796

I use it for photoshop, zbrush etc. Like the other poster said I don't even have to look at the tablet now.

Please don't fall into the cintiq trap though I did and it provided no additional benefit. I couldn't see what I was sculpting because my big ass hand was in the way and I like to see the whole object as I sculpt. 3d artists have things like lazy mouse so we actually don't need the accuracy 2d artists need.

I sold mine on and got an Intuos 5 small. It's way better for me as I don't need to move my arm much and it's just as accurate.
>>
>>525894
>>525865

I probably wouldn't be using the tablet for 3D work, more for 2D work, but what you say is interesting. I do drafting rather than sketching so I do need accuracy and that's part of what I didn't like, so perhaps 3D work is what I should be looking for instead.

You guys have convinced me to give it another go.
>>
>>525856
I'm not anon, I can't see how you get lost, sounds like you didn't install the tablet drivers.

the tablet should be a 1:1 of your screen.

if you tap it in left top corner, on screen it should be in that corner, if you lift your stylus (or whatever it's called) out of the tablet's range, then tap it in the right bottom corner, on screen, your cursor should appear in the right bottom corner.

if you lift your stylus from the top left and then lower/tap it in bottom right on your tablet, and on your screen is still in the top left, your tablet is not properly installed.

I can also confirm it is much more efficient to use a classic tablet over a cinq/monitor tablet (also about 5~7 times cheaper)
>>
>>525764
2nd for 3d connexion
Tried using their nub-controller-thing and it was fucking awesome, once you get the feel for it its way faster than anything else ive tries
>>
File: gtco-cursors.jpg (21KB, 506x304px) Image search: [Google]
gtco-cursors.jpg
21KB, 506x304px
>>526439
I didn't explain it correctly. What I meant is that because my screen and my tablet are not the same size I never find myself where I expect to be, after lifting the nib and setting it on another point. I realise it just needs practice, it just seems a little counter-intuitive. I'm also irked by how slowly it responds on Ps (makes everything laggy) and I'm running it on a pretty ebin PC so that shouldn't be happening.

>>526454
I know, but they're so damn expensive!

Anyone ever use a CAD digitizer board. Always wanted one, they seem way ahead of their time.
>>
>>526529
Yes, and I never, ever want to go back to those dark days. If you don't have perfect balance of your arm, forearm and wrist you will have carpal tunnel by the end of the month. These were designed for software where you were only occasionally looking at the screen, something that won't be the case with 3D unless you are manually digitizing printed out blown up frames of some mocap actor.

These are the exact opposite of ergonomic.
>>
I'm thinking of picking up a SpaceNavigator 3D mouse from 3DConnexion.

Are there decent cheaper alternatives? Is the Spacemouse Pro worth the extra money?
>>
>>526800
It looks far too expensive. Unless you're getting that thing that goes with it ( >>525764 )
, I don't think it's worth it. Just get the one in OP, it's less than half the price.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.