[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are junior artists obsessed with guns? There's so much

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 9

File: 1-Jcl0gAYgaYd3aWLAATpRDg.jpg (28KB, 500x310px) Image search: [Google]
1-Jcl0gAYgaYd3aWLAATpRDg.jpg
28KB, 500x310px
Why are junior artists obsessed with guns?
There's so much in this world to model but you choose a gun. It's so boring....

Maybe it's an American thing to love a gun so much? what do you think...
>>
Guns have a lot of geometry, but still are pretty angular in design and relatively simple, not to mention that most people know what a gun looks like better than a human.
>>
>>525481
Guns are not artistic, you either make them perfect or don't.
>>
File: zCaQ8qg.png (171KB, 1037x745px) Image search: [Google]
zCaQ8qg.png
171KB, 1037x745px
Perhaps because there's a significant interest in guns in the gaming and (and game-modding/modeling communities). I used to have this huge obsession with them when I was in my teen years, and now I don't really have any overly biased interest in them. People will more likely pay for DLC that gives them a new gun, rather than a new character. Guns hold peoples interest for some reason (maybe just the satisfaction of use, plus they're almost always the "main" tool for most games) and a lot of movies.

I always enjoyed making obscure/random guns that I'm a fan of, or stuff that isn't seen often (Whitney Wolverine, No4 Derringer, unique steampunk stuff) but it gets repetitive after a while though once you've made at least one of every type of gun (ie made at least a few revolvers, bolt action rifles etc).

Never was a fan of modern cars because IMO they all look exactly the same. Buildings and architecture is fun since you can kinda go crazy and do whatever you want unless it actually has to stand in reality.

Have an incredibly generic revolver.
>>
coz we can print whatever in our minds now
>>
>>525481
IDK the gun is the least I want to model LOL
>>
>>525481
t. environment "artist"
>>
guns are complex but not hard to do. its a decent thing to start with.
>>
>>525481
eurofag here

I'd agree, it's prolly an american thing
>>
>>525481
Guns and Cars are two pretty simple things to make, but they are good practice for beginners.
>>
Dont forget crates and barrels. My art lead said he skips over a portfolio with those as the focus, it's a telltale sign of a beginner with no imagination.
>>
>>525481
Dude I fucking agree. It's so weird the obsession.
>>
Gunz are manly.

I can't lift weights or have a hot smokin' gf but i can model guns, it makes me MAN!
>>
>>525505
>cars are simple to make
Are you retarded?
Cars are among the hardest things you can create, there is no other kind of object that requires that level of topology perfection.
>>
File: thiago-souza-ls7-03.jpg (179KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
thiago-souza-ls7-03.jpg
179KB, 1920x1080px
>>525505
>Cars
>pretty simple things to make
what the fuck?
>>
Because they're generally the easiest thing to mod in to games
>>
>>526420
That there isn't difficult anon, just tedious.
>>
>>525674
that's not hard it just takes a long time
>>
>>525481
It has a lot to do with games. First person combat games are extremely popular and very fun and involving to play if you're a competitive player.
Many grow up playing such games, millions of people whom never fired a real gun play counter strike etc, and enjoy modifying these games by installing custom skin mods.

In these games the gun is always in front of you occupying prime screen real estate, as such well crafted weapon models are very popular in these communities.
There is just a very large audience interested in your work if you provide quality firearms models for a popular game.
So you'll gain good exposure and lot of appreciation from your friends and peers for making this sort of thing.

They are also relatively simple objects to make and implement as opposed to more exotic and demanding endeavors like making characters or environments etc.
>>
>>526426
>engine block
>tedious
lel
>open sw
>make the block profile
>extrude cut a few times
>mirror
>boss a few times to make the strenthening ribs
>a couple more cuts for the finer holes
>export in some sucky format
>outline the profiles with low res circles or even curves if you want
>extrude edges and rebuild the model with quad geometry
5 hours tops if you know what you're doing for both of the workflows
even less if you don't rebuild the model with quds, which is stupid to do in the first place for a model that isn't going to get deformed.
>>
>>526427
Cars for modern games with breakable shit require a good topology, which is hard to do, because of the curves of any car old or modern, especially the modern ones. It's not the hardest thing to do, but you gotta model it as an engineer, cause cars are machine produced, there are no errors or wrong forms.
Cars for visualization are hard, cause you need to follow specifications and work with a lot of materials, make them look good together and provide very adequate lightning.
Car modelling in CAD is fucking hard as shit, the designer mathematically hard to describe forms of both modern and old cars is fucking hard to model and all of the things need to fit, gearboxes, wheels, drivestick, engine and internal parts, electrical shit, every single thing, it's a fucking nightmare.
>>
>>526457
>>boss a few times to make the strenthening ribs
>boss

What?
>>
File: Screenshot_4.png (218KB, 371x330px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_4.png
218KB, 371x330px
>>526457
>>
>>526426
>That there isn't difficult anon, just tedious.
If that was true I'd see a lot more cars without the obvious errors in reflections and shitty corner topology.
>>
>>526516
meant for >>526427
>>
File: cr12.jpg (414KB, 700x506px) Image search: [Google]
cr12.jpg
414KB, 700x506px
>>525481
because guns r cool
>>
We need to ban 3DCG, it's clearly a major contributor to gun violence because it lets young people obsess over guns.
>>
>>526828
Or you know, let people keep all their fictional guns and restrict access to the real ones?
I know that sounds absolutely bat-shit insane to American who are taught 'guns don't kill people' and that you can kill just as many people with a pair of sharp scissors as an AR 15.
But bruh, it's hard as fuck to murder even one person in melee mode, especially amerifat would die from heart attack before even reaching the double-digit K/D ratio.
>>
This >>526830 in Kongo conflict we zip up with five-five-six the man and each man went down the dirt, boom-boom takin numbers.
Other village we conserve the bullet with beating of stick and beat em hard. We all so exhausted before even the village empty, and people flee the bush we can't touch this cuz the stick so short.
With assaulting rifle really long and powerful stick, very very easy in compare. A man be hundred of meters away you can reach and touch this man. Horrible power of man, Kifa cries every night thinking.
>>
>>525485
speak for yourself, if you can't see the art in how guns are made then you have a lot to learn about guns, hell just google gun art, fancy guns, beautiful guns, damascus guns and go from there.
weapons are in fact one of the biggest symbols in art.
>>
File: Sharps Model 2A Four Shot.jpg (348KB, 1500x995px) Image search: [Google]
Sharps Model 2A Four Shot.jpg
348KB, 1500x995px
>>527084
Exactly.

Ornate Asian and French cannons, intricately sculpted British and American flintlocks, some of the finest art create has been with firearms for ceremony.I'm doing this one next in Maya and Mudbox
>>
>>527084
>>527134
>ruining your gun with this kitsch
truly disgusting
>>
File: IMG_3316.jpg (251KB, 667x1000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3316.jpg
251KB, 667x1000px
>>527175
That's not really kitsch

pic related this is kitsch
>>
>>527207
This. Kitsch is like garish and mis-matched.
floral engraving is not kitsch at all.
>>
MGS made me love guns a long time ago
>>
>>526789
The real question is big matchstick or tiny gun
>>
>>527285
fuck dude
>>
>>527285
>>527473
>>526789
It's a tiny gun. If you look closely at it you will see imperfections that would only occur on full size gun if made by a 5 year old with an angle grinder.

But I suppose even 5yolds with angle grinders wouldn't be uncommon in Russia.
>>
>>526457
>quds

quads?
>>
>>525544
This, desu
>>
>>525544
doubling this
>>
>>525544
Bait
>>
>>530657
I think he was just joking you autist
>>
>>525481
>Aesthetically pleasing
>Has detail, but not a huge amount of it
>Stuff that goes bang is fun
>Wide variety in different shapes, sizes, styles, and designs

Guns are pretty cool little machines that are significantly less intensive to model and animate than say, cars are. Also us Americans for the most part love guns, either in vidya in real life, or both.
>>
Because modeling cricket bats and broken bottles is too easy.
>>
>>530659
I was only pretending to be Autistic ya dummy :-)
>>
Ausfag here. I modelled nothing but tiddies for like 3 years.
A++ would do again.
>>
>>525481
it's the same type of people who facinate with cars from childhood, I have many friends like that, one of them started modeling a while ago and he started with some gun and corvette, even his names on forums etc is corvette_(insert some number) :D they are all imagionless people, not saying that they are bad or something, they are just dummies, that's all and almost all of them stop at their junior level. they also love shooter games and racing ones... and people who say that these people are doing it for modding, you are not correct, only very small % of people know or think about moding ir gaming who are trying to get into 3d
>>
>>534011
LOL that low poly lighthouse. I saw the same tutorial on youtube
>>
>>534011
Actually pretty cool
>>
>>534011
Well at least you actually finished something at that age, you should keep doing that
>>534035
>especially if it's not a tutorial
>>
>>526789
>them dick grips
>>
>>534011
hey man, keep it up. never be afraid to step it up and learn new programs and methods. it's how you learn and get good
>>
>>525481
because guns teach good hard surface modeling coupled with other techniques
same goes for cars
you learn how the light hits a surface and flows on the surface etc

there are also other reasons but these are staples of why cars and guns are the best for beginners
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.