[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Rigging Clothes Maya Intersections

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

I have a character that has multiple outfits needed. I'm just wondering how games like DOA or tekken get away with the geometry of the clothes never intersecting.

What I usually do is copy the weights of of my subject's nude skincluster on the clothes, but even then you still get some artifacts on certain poses, as photoed.

What is the least tedious way to deal with these inevitable intersections??
>>
>>522992
do a physics simulation and then bake the results
>>
Probably a component driven deformation. So a skeleton drives the nude mesh and then the vertices of the nude mesh drives the geometry of the bathing suits.
>>
>>522992
intersections happen because the interpolated surface of the faces may be crossed by an underlying vertex whose coordinates aren't the same as said interpolated value. The simplest way to avoid that, used by DoA, is to have the topology of the tight areas of the clothes replicate the underlying topology exactly and use the same weights as the underlying vertices (or the underlying interpolated point).

In other words, if you want a skin tight bikini, starting with a naked body, you can copy the body mesh, expand it a tiny bit, then "cut" the bikini from it. But don't retopo it or you'll lose the point matches. If you do it correctly it's mathematically guaranteed that intersections between skin and cloth won't happen, bar z buffer precision problems.
>>
Another solution is to have an alpha map simply make the parts of the body mesh hidden by clothes transparent.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (113KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
113KB, 1280x720px
>>522992
In games you have multiple versions of the 'nude' version. Like if the character is wearing jeans and T-shirt you have rigged version that lacks any torso or lower body.
If character is wearing a suit, you have a mesh that only features neck and hands from the nude skin and so on and so forth.
Pic related is an example from GTA V where a glitch has caused the shirt not to render revealing the underlying mesh.
>>
>>523098
Doing it that way is sloppy since it'll have you calculate a lot of unnecessary weighted vertices.
If there is just one character around you can shrug and say "who cares?" but if there are bunch of them walking around that stuff builds up to a point where it'll start hurting performance.
It can also interfere with shadow casting depending on what type of solution you're running causing any clipping invisible geometry to cause artifacts on the clothes on top.
>>
>>523101
looks like a ps2 game
>>
>>523080

They call that geographing in Daz studio, but it's usually mean to attach new anatomy to an existing figure.
>>
>>523111
stop using that shit
>>
>>523110
Nothing in GTA V looks very stunning when viewed in isolation, but the effect when you move around in the world and stand back and look at it's sprawling detail is really something else.
It remains the most impressive game world I have ever seen due to it's immense scale without relying on any repetitious instantiated reuse of content.
The abundance of unique true to life details makes it feel like visiting an actual place in a sense that no other open world game have yet succeeded in.

View some PC gameplay footage on youtube and you'll get a sense of what makes it stand out.
>>
>>523115
it looks like ass, mate. Hell, they even have a ps3 version meaning the other versions dont really deviate all that much besides moar pp
>>
File: GTA V screen.jpg (897KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
GTA V screen.jpg
897KB, 1920x1080px
>>523116
I don't know what kind of device this bs3 u blabbering about is, I'm of the PC gaming master race.
>>
>>523114

Fuck off.
>>
>>523117
looks billboardy and uncanny. Dropped.
>>
File: jelly.jpg (11KB, 284x177px) Image search: [Google]
jelly.jpg
11KB, 284x177px
>>523119
>>
File: 1380697092809.jpg (42KB, 479x720px) Image search: [Google]
1380697092809.jpg
42KB, 479x720px
>>523120
>>
>>523103
yeah it's sloppy, but it's also much easier. IDK what OP's project is, but he's got a nice selection of effective solutions to choose from.
>>
>>523111
>geographing
geografting you faggot
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.